Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
"Todd's slug-slimed head"? Did I miss something?

Let him drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

You charlatans don't deserve Todd. Save our boy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Android Blues posted:

You charlatans don't deserve Todd. Save our boy.

Yeah!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

RIP Todd

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

CaptainCaveman posted:

"Todd's slug-slimed head"? Did I miss something?

If you'll recall a few posts ago, I said the book's acting under the assumption that we went through the cave to get here, so there are a couple of lines that refer to events we haven't seen on this route.

quote:

Oooops! You missed!

"Sorry, Todd," you call down into the bottomless pit. You lean over and watch Todd get smaller and smaller and smaller.

You hear Todd's voice calling your name as he falls down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down...

But you don't feel too bad. After all, it's a bottomless pit, so you know Todd will never reach

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
:siren:Dropped Todd down a bottomless pit.:siren:

Achievements
:siren:Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Go back to the cabin.
  • Enter the cave.
  • Answer the Goosebumps question wrong.
  • Howl at the werewolves.
  • Catch Todd before he falls.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 15, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
You maniacs!

Catch him!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Let's pretend we don't know anything about birds

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Pobody's nerfect!

Catch Todd

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Rebonack7 posted:

If you'll recall a few posts ago, I said the book's acting under the assumption that we went through the cave to get here, so there are a couple of lines that refer to events we haven't seen on this route.

Ah, that makes sense.

Catch Todd

Actually, since it'll bring us to the same point here, go back and Enter the cave so we can see what we missed.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

What the actual gently caress is with that ending?! "You don't feel too bad" WE JUST LET A KID DROP TO HIS DEATH! Even if, in-universe, it's just because we didn't quite manage to catch him (as opposed to out-of-universe morbid curiosity), that's not the kind of thing you just brush off! gently caress this author, seriously...

Save Todd.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

serefin99 posted:

What the actual gently caress is with that ending?! "You don't feel too bad" WE JUST LET A KID DROP TO HIS DEATH! Even if, in-universe, it's just because we didn't quite manage to catch him (as opposed to out-of-universe morbid curiosity), that's not the kind of thing you just brush off! gently caress this author, seriously...

Save Todd.

It's also really inconclusive. Like, we didn't save Todd, but generally these things go on to show how your fuckup got you killed.

Like "You let Todd die, therefore Todd died." Guessed that, was curious where it would go from there.

Save Todd. It's not likely to be less interesting.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

This seems like the sort of choice that previous books would have made us flip a coin for or check the weather outside or something. Not just a plain "let kid die y/n". Let's save Todd.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"You caught me!" Todd exclaims, grabbing your hand.

"We caught each other!" you sputter. Your hands grasp Todd's hands over the center of the hole. "Oh, no! We're f-a-a-a-a-a-a-l-l-i-n-g!"

"I can't look!" Todd shrieks.

"Oh, brother," you think, as you feel your arms and legs become all tangles up with Todd's. "Just my luck. Of all the people in the world I could have fallen into a bottomless pit with, it has to be Todd Morris!"

Down, down, down you fall.

Spinning and tumbling head over heels over head over heels with no end in sight.

Todd sticks to you like syrup to pancakes. And now that you think of it - he's probably getting that syrupy slug juice all over you, too! You're not sure which is worse - having Todd glued to you or being slimed by slugs.

You have plenty of time to think about it, since you'll be free-falling for quite a while!

quote:

This falling thing is starting to get boring. With no bottom to this pit, there's nothing to look forward to.

Since there's nothing to see down below, you and Todd gaze up instead. You immediately are hit in the eye with drops of some liquid.

"Yikes!" Todd screams. "There's a whole pack of those werewolves up there!"

Todd's right. At the rim of the pit, twenty or more hungry werewolves are leaning into the hole. Those drops that hit you in the eye were drops of drool dripping from the fangs of the hairy beasts.

Gross! The werewolves want food, and you and Todd are it. You can feel their fire-red eyes staring right at you.

A hot glob of drool hits the tip of Todd's ear and dribbles down the side of his neck.

"Oh, disgusting!" he moans. He pulls his hand away from your arm to wipe off the steaming drool. Uh-oh. Todd is falling away from you. You're both on your own now.

quote:

"Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!" you hear from the darkness below you. It's Todd, and he sounds very far away. You have lost him now for sure.

Too bad, you think sadly. I was just starting to get used to having him around.

"Good-bye, Todd," you call as loudly as you can. "I'm sorry I said you were a nerd. I really do like you, you know. Honest!" With tears in your eyes, you call out one last "'Bye, Todd. I'll miss you... really, I will!"

"You really will miss me?" a happy voice calls out unexpectedly, right next to your ear. "Wow! That's swell!"

quote:

"Todd!" you exclaim when you hear his voice right next to you. "What's happening? How did I catch up to you so fast?"

"You didn't." Todd laughs. "We caught up to you!"

Before Todd can say any more, you realize that you are no longer falling. You and Todd are both sitting on the back of some giant-winged thing.

"What the...?" you start to ask.

"It's a pterodactyl!" Todd explains. "Probably preserved in this pit for centuries!"

The huge, prehistoric flying reptile is moving its head - first up, then down. It seems to be asking you to choose which way you want to go - up or down?

To fly up to the werewolves, soar to PAGE 116.

To go down to the unknown, zoom to PAGE 88.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Dropped Todd down a bottomless pit.

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
The number of flagrant abuses of physics in those few paragraphs hurts me.

In any case, going up is the choice that I wish our protagonist to make.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
Let's escape the werewolves by flying up to the werewolves! It's a foolproof plan!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Let's see if we can make this dumb book about dinosaurs by going down

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Journey down to the center of the earth!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ratatozsk posted:

Journey down to the center of the earth!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Down, down, to the very nipple of the world!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

You know what, gently caress it, continue into the bottomless pit. Even if we don't run into dinosaurs, we can at least starve ourselves and end our suffering.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Go down to see how stupid this hole gets.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The protagonist cries when Todd is parted from them for mere moments. Ship potential confirmed.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You and Todd agree you've had enough of the werewolves. "Let's keep going down," you say.

"Yes," Todd agrees. "This pterodactyl has figured out how to stay alive for centuries. Maybe it will know how to keep us alive for the rest of the night!"

"Good thinking," you reply. Then to the pterodactyl, you order, "Down please!"

With a giant flapping of his bony wings, the prehistoric creature points its head downwards. You and Todd hold on to the loose flaps of skin on its neck.

Down, down, down the pterodactyl flies.

Without warning, the downward flight takes a turn to the left. You shine the flashlight straight ahead and spot a ledge.

Todd sees it, too. "Look!" he shouts, pointing to the ledge. "We're going to land over there!"

quote:

The pterodactyl nose-dives down to the ledge with a great swooping motion. You and Todd are sure you're going to be thrown over the creature's head. But the pterodactyl evens out its flight and glides to a smooth landing. The two of you tumble off its back and onto the rocky ground.

"Thank - " you start to say. Before you can get the whole word out, its wings are flapping again. The pterodactyl is heading back into the darkness of the pit. You and Todd are left alone on the narrow ledge.

Behind you there's a door! It slides open.

"Going down?" a man dressed in an elevator operator's uniform asks.

"Do we have a choice?" Todd asks.

"Always," the man says mysteriously.

quote:

You peer over the ledge and see a greater nothing than you've ever seen. You gaze up. Darkness. You glance down again. Darkness. Either way, it looks the same to you - totally frightening.

"I guess we'd better get in the elevator," you announce. You push Todd forward into the waiting car.

The door closes behind you and Todd.

A whirring sound begins, but you don't feel any motion. The closet-sized space is illuminated by a dim red light. The light seems to be blinking on, off, on, off, on, off. Then you figure it out!

The red light is on when the elevator operator's eyes are open and off when his eyes are clooed. On when they're open. Off when they're closed. His eyes are the blinking red lights!

In the red glow, you notice the man's teeth are growing longer and sharper.

Todd elbows you sharply and cries, "He's one of them!"

quote:

A hideous laugh erupts from the man's fanged mouth. His eyes flash a brighter red, spotlighting a face covered with coarse werewolf hair. Clawed, hairy hands reach for your neck as the man growls, "Yes! I am one of them! And soon you will be one of them, too!"

He opens his fanged mouth to bite you. Suddenly you spot two buttons by the elevator door. One reads STOP! and the other reads GO! You stretch out your index finger and press one.

If you press STOP! turn to PAGE 21.

If you press
GO! turn to PAGE 29.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

I love how the book says that you always have a choice before not giving you a choice on whether to get into the lift.

Anyway, let's go.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Stoplights are red, the red glow is when his eyes are open, so we don't want red. Push Go!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

This book is just completely off the rails and will never stop, but that doesn't mean we can't try.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

GO!

Well, that sure took a lot of courage on your part! Nobody ever pushes GO! when a clawed hairy hand is reaching over to grab his or her neck. But, guess what? You pushed GO! And now you and Todd are both GOing to have the ride of your life on the Bottomless Pit Elevator.

But wait! The elevator door slides open. The elevator is stuck! You have a second chance. Do something - fast!

"One, two, three, jump!" you cry, as you pull Todd out the door. Holding on to each other, you and Todd begin to fall.

Down, down deeper and deeper into the pit.

You pick up speed. Your ears start to pop as your body plunges faster and faster. Your body flips upside down. Everything is spinning.

And then a sharp ringing sound pierces your ears!

quote:

The ringing is so loud, so horrible. The sound shatters the darkness. You have to stop the noise. Some way, any way. You can't stand it any longer.

You reach your arm off into the darkness...

...and shut off your alarm clock.

You slowly open your eyes. You look around. Where's Todd?

Then you realize you're at home, in your bed, clutching your pillow for dear life.

Your mother pushes open your bedroom door and pokes her head in. "Rise and shine! Today's the day we go to WoodsWorld.

"Really?" you ask. You need to make sure it truly was all a dream - the red tin box, the pit, the werewolves. "What time are we meeting Mr. and Mrs. Morris and Todd there?" you ask..

"What are you talking about?" your mother says. "The Morrises aren't coming with us. It's a family vacation - you, me, and Dad. Just like always."

You smile and lean back on your pillow. This just may turn out to be a fantastic summer in

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Gave the book the chance to pull some "all just a dream" bullshit on us.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Go back to the cabin.
  • Enter the cave.
  • Answer the Goosebumps question wrong.
  • Fly up to the werewolves.
  • Push STOP! in the elevator.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

gently caress this book.

I'm curious how bullshit this ending is, so answer the Goosebumps question wrong.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Look, it being a dream at least explains how much insane nonsense bullshit everything is so far.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Stop the Elevator.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm abstaining on account of that lovely ending making me too mad to vote

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, let's fail our bird lore check

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?

serefin99 posted:

gently caress this book.

I'm curious how bullshit this ending is, so answer the Goosebumps question wrong.

Yeah, that was a high standard for bullshit ending, so I'm curious how much more bullshit it can get. We know nothing about wolves, birds, or Goosebumps.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Stop!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This book had a promising start but it seems like the instant you get into the woods everything goes crazytown and becomes a dreamlike series of random events. Let's not know about birds.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Android Blues posted:

This book had a promising start but it seems like the instant you get into the woods everything goes crazytown and becomes a dreamlike series of random events. Let's not know about birds.

Oh, we might know about birds, but Bird law in this country is not governed by reason. And neither is this book. So we'd know the most about birds by not knowing about birds.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Okay, you guys asked for it.

quote:

"AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!" you and Todd scream together when you spot the drooling werewolves.

You start to run. You turn around to make sure Todd is keeping up with you. He's gone!

And the werewolf that was right on your heels is gone, too.

You race toward the dark end of the tunnel. The air gets thinner. It is hard to breathe. Soon you're light-headed from the lack of oxygen.

You feel as if you're floating. Is it true? Are you really floating?

quote:

Yes! You are floating!

Out of the cave. Into the darkness of the night.

You look down and see the lake far below. "Hello down there!" you call to anyone who might be awake in the cabins of WoodsWorld. No one hears you. No one sees you drifting, drifting awaaaaaaaaay.

As you drift high above WoodsWorld your body starts to shrink. Suddenly you feel very light.

"Paper thin, that's what I am now," you say. "It must have been from not having enough oxygen and breathing that bad cave air."

You continue to shrink as you float toward the entrance to WoodsWorld. You see the main building. You see the cars parked around it. You see the string of brightly colored paper lanterns lit up to welcome newcomers to WoodsWorld.

You seem to be floating closer and closer to the lanterns. You've only seen them from the ground. This is the first time you're looking at them from above. It's the closest you've ever been to the paper lanterns.

"Oh, my!" you gasp when you notice the strangest thing you've seen all night.

quote:

You are floating directly above the paper lanterns now. For the first time, you see that each lantern has a face!

In fact, each lantern has a face of someone you have known in the past. Hanging on the line of lanterns are all the people who used to come to WoodsWorld. For reasons you never understood before, they just stopped coming in the summers!

But now you know the truth. They didn't stop coming to WoodsWorld. They never left!

Slowly you drift up and over to an empty space on the string of colored paper lanterns. You hear a soft click. Suddenly you can't move.

"Hey!" you try to say to someone, anyone. But you're a paper-lantern person now. You can't talk anymore. And neither can any of the other lantern people.

Hope you like WoodsWorld a lot. You'll be hanging around here for a long, long time. In fact your stay here may never, ever come to an

END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Gave the book the chance to pull some "all just a dream" bullshit on us.
:siren:Turned into a paper lantern because we failed a literature quiz.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Go back to the cabin.
  • Enter the cave.
  • Fly up to the werewolves.
  • Push STOP! in the elevator.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Let's go into the cave to see what we missed. It can't be much more bizarre than this ending was.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Well, uh, okay that was a thing that happened.

let's STOP this nonsense, right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This story is a load of bollocks! As wacky as Goosebumps tends to be at least things follow logically one to the next.