Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Imagine living in a town where KKK rallies are so commonplace that every (white) person around you just shrugs and rolls their eyes: "these kooks again! what can you do!"

massive spider fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

massive spider posted:

Imagine living in a town where KKK rallies are so pervasive that every white person around you just rolls their eyes: "these kooks again! what can you do!"

Meanwhile the one african american family's house is so secured and fortified that you'd be forgiven for thinking that it was a set piece for a straight to DVD "I Am Legend" sequel.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

have you tried talking to anarcho-capitalists?

rand paul isn't even really libertarian, and a lot of libertarians hate the libertarian party and gary johnson.

i don't think they'd make good allies (well, left-libertarians maybe). if you know of a secret community of libertarians that would make good anti-fascist allies then that'd be cool

problem is, the anti-fascist part. a lot of them hate antifa, and meeting the violence of nazis with violence. that's not gonna work

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Cingulate posted:

Maybe we can compromise on slapping and shoving, but not seriously wounding Nazis ..? I still think it should be obvious that if Trump gets his alt-right martyr murdered by the left, he's gonna go all "I told you so!" and allow Bannon to lock up dissenters.
Modifying or tempering your resistance out of fear of what authoritarians might do is called 'appeasement'. It doesn't work.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Cingulate posted:

Maybe we can compromise on slapping and shoving, but not seriously wounding Nazis ..? I still think it should be obvious that if Trump gets his alt-right martyr murdered by the left, he's gonna go all "I told you so!" and allow Bannon to lock up dissenters.

i missed this

trump's already trying to do this you know? that's why he's trying to get the ip addresses and other deets of people who protested his inauguration

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
The alt-right is mostly based on the loop irony leads to shitposting, shitposting leads to crticicism, criticism leads to resentment, resentment leads to policy.

Nothing in that about economic or class privilege, so it has no inherent right wing nature. If you take two identical twins posting from the same model phone and one posts 'black genocide' and one 'white genocide' the you could call one alt-left and one alt-right if you really wanted.

The difference is that there are no mainstream real-world political movement looking to pander to the first poster. Which is mainly due to the lack of reality-based reasons they have to appeal to any other person under 50.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Anarcho-capitalists became "Physical Removal" types, worship Pinochet and are marching alongside Nazis. That dog wont hunt.

https://twitter.com/NiskanenCenter/status/897508657470066689

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 16, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

We're all going to die very soon, aren't we

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

TACD posted:

Modifying or tempering your resistance out of fear of what authoritarians might do is called 'appeasement'. It doesn't work.

Well killing people is not going to make things better, white supremacist or not. This is the time for Martin Luther King Jr. When the alt-Nazis start shooting us in the streets ie. when they have abandoned society for all to see, that will be the time for Malcolm X.

The way things are going it will be the same day Mueller looks into a camera and says "Treason".

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Lightning Lord posted:

In the cosmic scheme, 100 years isn't all that long and statistically a lot to most of us will be dead then.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Lightning Lord posted:

It's as good a time as any to read some Kropotkin and start punching.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Well killing people is not going to make things better, white supremacist or not. This is the time for Martin Luther King Jr. When the alt-Nazis start shooting us in the streets ie. when they have abandoned society for all to see, that will be the time for Malcolm X.

The way things are going it will be the same day Mueller looks into a camera and says "Treason".

they already killed one of us and tried to kill more....

also, are you suggesting that we need a leftist leader martyred? cause mlk jr. got shot for his efforts

and then his message was twisted and warped into a hallmark-like caricature of what he actually stood for

edit: i should probably make it clear that i'm not advocating for murdering alt-rightists

Condiv fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 16, 2017

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

i missed this

trump's already trying to do this you know? that's why he's trying to get the ip addresses and other deets of people who protested his inauguration

TACD posted:

Arguably, it allowed the British to build up their forces sufficiently. However, here as there, the main variables of interest was which direction the might of the United States of America would point. And if you murder 17yo 4channers in the streets today, it might end up pointing the wrong way.

Condiv posted:

have you tried talking to anarcho-capitalists?

rand paul isn't even really libertarian, and a lot of libertarians hate the libertarian party and gary johnson.

i don't think they'd make good allies (well, left-libertarians maybe). if you know of a secret community of libertarians that would make good anti-fascist allies then that'd be cool

problem is, the anti-fascist part. a lot of them hate antifa, and meeting the violence of nazis with violence. that's not gonna work
Sure, there's libertarians you won't find common ground with, and then there's libertarian House speaker Paul Ryan and Libertarian Party presidential candidate Governor Johnson, and the presumably tens of millions who support them. I don't think they'd make good allies either (albeit possibly better than kids wearing face masks), but I'm wondering how far you're willing to compromise?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If I were a blindly utilitarian tactician, I'd try to create peaceful leftist, or ideally, centrist, martyrs. Every brutal act of theirs turns the people against them. And vice versa.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Cingulate posted:

Sure, there's libertarians you won't find common ground with, and then there's libertarian House speaker Paul Ryan and Libertarian Party presidential candidate Governor Johnson, and the presumably tens of millions who support them. I don't think they'd make good allies either (albeit possibly better than kids wearing face masks), but I'm wondering how far you're willing to compromise?

paul ryan is not a libertarian. he's a republican through and through. and i don't think he will make an ally at all. i think he said what he needed to say to distance himself from fascists, but unless he's turning on trump right now he's more than willing to tolerate them to keep the repubs in power.

i doubt any republican will be better allies than the kids wearing masks btw. i find it kinda insulting that you'd think otherwise tbh. as for how far i'm willing to compromise, centrists are about as far right as i think we can count on as allies, and i still don't trust them much because they're trying to cast us as fascists too

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Arzachel posted:

You also let a despot sweep up half of Europe, killing and exiling a couple million people. Punching Nazis is great but maybe work on the cleanup.
Actually from what I can tell most historians think the street battles were one of the best chances of stopping the Nazis from taking power. And they worked admirably in the UK against Oswald Mosely - look up the Battle of Cable Street sometime.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Well killing people is not going to make things better, white supremacist or not.

Cingulate posted:

And if you murder 17yo 4channers in the streets today, it might end up pointing the wrong way.
This is the post to which Cingulate was originally responding:

CommissarMega posted:

Let's start with the idea that punching Nazis is a good thing.
Nobody has been suggesting murder.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

That poor girl who took down the Durham statue is getting hit with three felony charges and the police are looking for the others involved as well. :smith:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Mr Interweb posted:

That poor girl who took down the Durham statue is getting hit with three felony charges and the police are looking for the others involved as well. :smith:

are there people protesting her arrest yet? i hope so

i also hope that her charges are nullified

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Condiv posted:

are there people protesting her arrest yet? i hope so

i also hope that her charges are nullified

The call for bail money went fast but idk about protests, it happened really fast considering it looked like they wouldn't do this yesterday due to some jurisdiction fuckery.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

paul ryan is not a libertarian. he's a republican through and through. and i don't think he will make an ally at all. i think he said what he needed to say to distance himself from fascists
Sure, he won't compromise and work with you cause he likes your policies. He'll do it, if at all, cause he thinks Trump is dangerous.

Condiv posted:

i doubt any republican will be better allies than the kids wearing masks btw. i find it kinda insulting that you'd think otherwise tbh. as for how far i'm willing to compromise, centrists are about as far right as i think we can count on as allies, and i still don't trust them much because they're trying to cast us as fascists too
Who's a centrist, Obama? Clinton? Cause I don't see them doing that.

But ok, labels schmabels. I think Trump is giving an offering to cast a really wide net of people opposing him, and I'm somewhat worried a few of you are gonna miss the chance for reasons of ideological purity - "either the win over Trump is a leftist win, or I don't want it at all, if it ends with moderate Republicans still in charge, we may as well not do anything/wait for the actual civil wars".

TACD posted:

You responded to me saying "how about a compromise of slapping, but not seriously wounding" by saying

TACD posted:

Which to me implies you are in favour of seriously wounding (whatever you decide to label) Nazis ..? Is that not what you're implying?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Agnosticnixie posted:

The call for bail money went fast but idk about protests, it happened really fast considering it looked like they wouldn't do this yesterday due to some jurisdiction fuckery.

we know why it's happened fast. the cops are angry that a statue of their hero was disrespected

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Condiv posted:

we know why it's happened fast. the cops are angry that a statue of their hero was disrespected

Well yeah, PDs are basically the best recruiting grounds for these types.

Also lol at chasing the nice polite bipartisan republicans. They're condemning these people because most of them realize that you're only supposed to dog whistle this poo poo, not actually come out outright.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Cingulate posted:

Sure, he won't compromise and work with you cause he likes your policies. He'll do it, if at all, cause he thinks Trump is dangerous.

i think expecting paul ryan to wake up and smell the roses is a bit naive. he's been too close to trump for too long for him to completely extricate himself from the mess if trump got impeached, and i think he realizes that. i'm pretty sure you can count on him sticking with trump to preserve his own hide

quote:

Who's a centrist, Obama? Clinton? Cause I don't see them doing that.

clinton and her followers spent the entire campaign trying to pretend the left were all sexist bros (and please don't try to pretend she wasn't involved, obamaboys was basically the same attack used against obama supporters in 2008). i do in fact see them stabbing us in the back as soon as they can. likewise, obama personally interfered with the dnc chair election to prevent keith ellison from winning, and had a worthless chair installed instead (perez)

quote:

But ok, labels schmabels. I think Trump is giving an offering to cast a really wide net of people opposing him, and I'm somewhat worried a few of you are gonna miss the chance for reasons of ideological purity - "either the win over Trump is a leftist win, or I don't want it at all, if it ends with moderate Republicans still in charge, we may as well not do anything/wait for the actual civil wars".

so this is more about beating back trump than beating fascism? fine. but especially with that, i dunno why you pretend it'd be treated as a win for everyone instead of a win for centrists with leftists cut out yet again. the big problem with the people calling for unity is that you expect the left to help you (yet again) for absolutely no benefit to them. centrists won't even let singlepayer pass in california where dems have a supermajority and absolute control of government, so why should we believe helping you will ever get us anything?

if you want unity, you need to start compromising and giving a bit. leftists shouldn't be locked entirely out of power in the dem party but they are

Condiv fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 16, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The Civil Rights Movement relied on both. The peaceful protests of MLK were a calculated move to provide an olive branch counterpart to people like Malcolm X, who by their very existence made the overtures of MLK more effective.

He was not a committed pacifist, he was a strategist.

So you might wanna rethink this extremely ahistorical narrative of "MLK = peaceful therefore peaceful protest = successful" that you're running on.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

Actually from what I can tell most historians think the street battles were one of the best chances of stopping the Nazis from taking power. And they worked admirably in the UK against Oswald Mosely - look up the Battle of Cable Street sometime.

Sorry, I meant the other despot that killed and exiled millions.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Being good victims didn't stop nazism in Germany, it didn't stop fascism in Italy and it wouldn't have stopped falangism in Spain. It hardly stopped the Klan either.

Besides the liberal notion that MLK was a pure pacifist who never considered revolt an option is in complete contradiction with the texts he actually wrote. It's a backpatting image that tries to paint the US as more humane than it really was.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Arzachel posted:

Sorry, I meant the other despot that killed and exiled millions.

Yeah uh the Nazis asked for that one.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TACD posted:

You've got people in the thread telling people to arm up before they go to rallies. You don't want an untrained person with a tool designed to end lives to be thrust into a charged atmosphere. That's how people die.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Condiv posted:

how exactly would we appeal to libertarians? libertarians are currently trying to pretend nazis and violence exist cause of antifa

Wait, wait...no one got killed at Klan rallies? What? loving assholes, people are dumb

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Still seems unlikely she'd get jail time if she's a first time offender. I know being hit with felonies suck but if you're going to get them, it might as well be over something like this.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

:drat:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Looks like he's kicked off his morning by Tweeting about how Amazon.com is destroying American towns.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Libertarians went all in and call themselves Anarcho-Fascist. GOP is going to fall in-line because no matter how much it doesn't quite want to talk about what it is, its the old southern democrats without the social programs who left due to civil rights movement. The power structure of the south is absolutely amenable to white nationalism, to the point that the GOP can't remain viable without it since its been an low humming Klan rally since the 70s and the alt right are the only voters for it under the age of 90.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Tackling the pressing issues of the day:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/897763049226084352

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/897764432369070080

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/steveking_/status/897572851863236608

hmmmm. where's that swastika made out of :thunk: when you need it?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Civil Rights Movement relied on both. The peaceful protests of MLK were a calculated move to provide an olive branch counterpart to people like Malcolm X, who by their very existence made the overtures of MLK more effective.

He was not a committed pacifist, he was a strategist.

So you might wanna rethink this extremely ahistorical narrative of "MLK = peaceful therefore peaceful protest = successful" that you're running on.

So you're saying MLK is a centrist liberal? :P

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

What a maroon. Calling out an American business is going to do nothing to help US economy, and is just going to erode confidence in one of the biggest organizations that provide employment.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

MLK, Mandela, and Ghandhi all offered their opponents a feasible thing that they could do which would avoid conflict.

The leaders of the IRA, Tamil Tigers and PLO did not. Most of heir heirs would now admit that was a strategic failure.

Chamberlain and Lincoln also offered their opponent a feasible thing they could do to avoid conflict, had their offer returned down, and had their side win anyway.

Non-aggression is a tactic, and a highly effective one. Evidence suggests it is worth trying first, and abandoning it if it doesn't work.

In the context of US Nazis, that looks like counter-demonstrating in greater numbers with enough self-defence to prevent smaller numbers wining via brutality.

The offer made should be along the lines 'impeach Trump if the FBI find he is guilty, let the mid-term elections happen on schedule otherwise'.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Lone Badger posted:

Has anyone got that poster of Uncle Sam saying "You again? handy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He would be right that it is lovely Amazon doesn't pay sales tax and competes with retailers that do, except that hasn't been true for a while now. Amazon does poo poo on small business though basically through the Wal-Mart model. No one should be singing their praises.

• Locked thread