Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

what a ridiculous animal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Cool, that's definitely what it was. Also I saw it out there for a few days, is that normal?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
that is so cute

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

myDad posted:

Cool, that's definitely what it was. Also I saw it out there for a few days, is that normal?
yours looks like a female, so I think yes? the adults don't feed, they mate and die, so the females tend to just sit around somewhere pumping out sexy moth pheromones

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Does anybody know wtf these things are? I found a ton of them along some huge deposit of dead coral on the shore line along with a bunch of other little snails.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jesus Christ posted:

Does anybody know wtf these things are? I found a ton of them along some huge deposit of dead coral on the shore line along with a bunch of other little snails.

Chitons, a kind of mollusc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiton

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Geez, those things look prehistoric as gently caress.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

my cat is norris posted:

Geez, those things look prehistoric as gently caress.

They're pretty basal among molluscs.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chitons are the poo poo. I love those things.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've read that some people eat them. Are they tasty?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

my cat is norris posted:

I've read that some people eat them. Are they tasty?

They aren't bad. Texture is rubbery, and they taste like mollusc and ocean.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Magnetite teeth :black101:

When I was a kid I absolutely loved (and I still do) the Audobon society wildlife guides. The seashore one was my favorite and I always thought chitons were cool as hell.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

vaguely posted:

yours looks like a female, so I think yes? the adults don't feed, they mate and die, so the females tend to just sit around somewhere pumping out sexy moth pheromones

Interesting! She's gone & likely made more squeaky caterpillars :allears:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jesus Christ posted:

They look like something that will leap at your face and latch on to grind away your flesh.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

vortmax posted:

Hello little noisy friend!

It's funny how the cicada has to be the only insect I know of that could honestly be described as having an "art deco" or "futurist" appearance.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Doctor Bishop posted:

It's funny how the cicada has to be the only insect I know of that could honestly be described as having an "art deco" or "futurist" appearance.

Yeah thats a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Loewy

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So I have a bush in my front yard that started to whither and turn brown. We've had a really dry summer so initially I thought it just needed water, but when I checked it I found that it's covered with small slug/leech like things that are sucking all the juices out of the leaves.

I tried using some normal store bought pesticides but they have had no effect and the bush is pretty much now completely sucked dry.

I'm just checking to see if anyone know what these things are so I can look up more specialized deterants for them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We're in Maui on vacation and I've come across many critters!

Myna bird. They're everywhere and very chatty. This was outside our hotel room.

It's a baby fish thing! Found in a swimming hole off the road to Hana.

Found several of these guys hanging out by the same pool mentioned above. Not sure if they're feral or belong to locals, but some of them were super friendly. Others not so much.

Small Asian Mongoose. Waianapanapa State Park. Bunch of em. Invasive species introduced in the late 1800's to fight the rats. Only problem is rats are nocturnal and the mongoose are diurnal. Bad news for local bird populations.

Millipede(?) in the same park.

Red-crested cardinal. Very interested in fighting the myna birds over bread and other scraps.

A gecko? I think? Found in the Old Lahaina Prison.

Same as above except green!

Dolphins off of Molokini crater. Pretty sure they're bottlenose.

Frigate birds. Also at Molokini crater.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I found the most adorable little moth. I fell in love. :swoon:

Balaeniceps
May 29, 2010

Vakal posted:

So I have a bush in my front yard that started to whither and turn brown. We've had a really dry summer so initially I thought it just needed water, but when I checked it I found that it's covered with small slug/leech like things that are sucking all the juices out of the leaves.

I tried using some normal store bought pesticides but they have had no effect and the bush is pretty much now completely sucked dry.

I'm just checking to see if anyone know what these things are so I can look up more specialized deterants for them.
These are sawfly larvae. I don't know what kind of bush that is nor what species you get in the area but they look very similar to pear slug sawfly larvae.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Theres something on my roomate's hand

Enhance

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bismuth posted:

Theres something on my roomate's hand

He ded

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Woah, missed this thread! I like macro photography so here are some critters

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oh wow those photos are incredible
please share some more again! :kimchi:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

This little Valley Mantis found its way into my kitchen the other day. Gotta say, it's pretty :3:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It looks like it's doing a photo shoot - work it, baby, work it, the camera loves you! :sparkles:

tessdaterrible
Nov 4, 2015

Some Weird Sloth
I'm defiantly not using a DSLR, if you'll forgive the quality, I wanted to share the critters found this weekend in a vernal pool around Phoenix Arizona. I pulled 14 tadpoles from a drying pool to see what will come out, then will release back to the same area after observation. I believe these to be Mexican Spadefoot(Spea multiplicata), but time will tell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYSBVkxbEFo

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Literally A Person posted:

This little Valley Mantis found its way into my kitchen the other day. Gotta say, it's pretty :3:

Mantises are really cool bugs, wish we had them in this part of northern Europe...

Here's bumblebee hitting some real good stuff

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:swoon:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Over There posted:

I found the most adorable little moth. I fell in love. :swoon:

Are you in the US? Then it looks like a Virginia tiger moth, Spilosoma virginica .

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

axolotl farmer posted:

Are you in the US? Then it looks like a Virginia tiger moth, Spilosoma virginica .

Both correct :)

Not sure if living in Virginia has anything to do with it being more common

Over There fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 21, 2017

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My cooper's hawk friend visited today a couple of hours before the eclipse. I'm pretty sure it was a sign from Huitzilopochtli. This was maybe 5 feet away through a glass door and I was close to getting a better shot when my dog spooked him. This is his third year hanging around and eating doves and it's not the first time he's perched on the deck and let me get close to him, t makes me wonder if he was rehabilitated or a pet or something

Also the hummingbird that lives in those trees was buzzing around talking poo poo to the hawk the whole time, but he didnt show up in focus in any of the pics

tessdaterrible
Nov 4, 2015

Some Weird Sloth

poverty goat posted:

My cooper's hawk friend visited today a couple of hours before the eclipse. I'm pretty sure it was a sign from Huitzilopochtli. This was maybe 5 feet away through a glass door and I was close to getting a better shot when my dog spooked him. This is his third year hanging around and eating doves and it's not the first time he's perched on the deck and let me get close to him, t makes me wonder if he was rehabilitated or a pet or something

Also the hummingbird that lives in those trees was buzzing around talking poo poo to the hawk the whole time, but he didnt show up in focus in any of the pics

What a great visitor. Is he a regular on your porch or just occasionally spot him?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

tessdaterrible posted:

What a great visitor. Is he a regular on your porch or just occasionally spot him?

I have a birdfeeder which attracts lots of doves. He eats some of the doves. Mostly you just find little piles of feathers that look like a meteor hit a dove but sometimes he swoops in close to a window when he's on the approach to show off, or hangs out on the deck

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I know they're pretty common but I had a yellow garden spider catch a yellow jacket by my garden and he was a rather photogenic dude:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Good

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

^^^^