Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

This reminds me that I tried turning the pisstape gif into an emote, but it always ended up too big a file size or looked like poo poo.

By the way, Baltimore got rid of all their Confederate statues all at once over last night. :toot:

https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/897780099415777280

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

LingcodKilla posted:

So I'm going to see Rancid and Drop Kick Murphy in Seattle tomorrow. I really hope I don't have to deal with any Nazi fuckboys. When I saw them about a decade ago a skinhead got on stage and threw a Nazi salute and the bassist blasted him across the back with his instrument.
Oh well better wear my boots just in case...

I highly recommend boots regardless, I saw them in Toronto a few weeks back with Bouncing Souls and it was AWESOME, nazis would have been pummeled to dust

That pit was rough on my old broken fat body

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Saw Lars and the Bastards play with the Dropkicks once and Lars stopped their set at one point and said "if you're a loving nazi get the gently caress out of my show before I kick your rear end myself" and it was great

Everyone cheered but the nazis who shuffled off

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
And that man was Albert fleinstein

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/armychiefstaff/status/897742317897093121

On one hand I like that this is kind of a slam at Trump

On the other hand, ehhhhhhh...

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
In regards to chain of command if the military hypothetically in this current Tom Clancy novel were living in decided to say f*** it we're not listening where would that decision even need to be made in order for it to carry any sort of serious weight?

I'm in traffic right now and using voice to text please excuse the Stars

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Waroduce posted:

In regards to chain of command if the military hypothetically in this current Tom Clancy novel were living in decided to say f*** it we're not listening where would that decision even need to be made in order for it to carry any sort of serious weight?

I'm in traffic right now and using voice to text please excuse the Stars

As much as Trump sucks, I'm also not okay with the military ignoring its civilian leadership. That's how you wind up with Chile and Argentina in the 1980s.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if trump starts giving super hosed orders the military leadership is just going to become intentionally incompetent overnight. Gosh darn we sent the troops to canada instead of mexico! We really goofed on this one but don't you worry we'll have them boys invading mexico inside a year tops.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I mean I get Truman's desegregation was in some ways progressive historically, but how do you make this statement from the head of an organization that had internally institutionalized racism for like 70%+ of that period?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dick Spencer's UF speaking event has been canceled.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dick Spencer's UF speaking event has been canceled.

Thank god. I usually leave things to the masses but I wrote them a long rear end email about that. Who knows if they saw it but at least it got cancelled either way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Magpaul left for Wyoming after being based in Colorado.

And took all the employees that were willing to relocate. They pretty much won my business for life with that move...though they probably had it anyway since I love their products.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Speaking of, I think I'm finally gonna take the plunge so I can buy an M1 from them. I've been perusing their site for the past 12 years or so, and I'm finally at a point where I can both afford and own one without any major logistical hurdles.

Get it while you can, there are very few surplus stocks left in the world. The US surplus ran out over a decade ago, what you're seeing right now is one of the batches of rifles returned by non-US countries. They dry up for a couple of years, then a few hundred show up and sell out again. I think we're seeing one of the last batches. When they're gone, you're down to hoping you luck out with a good one on gunbroker.

LingcodKilla posted:

1944? That's barely any time to kill some Nazis.

Woo!

:stare: That's a pretty low number there. And yeah, I'm pretty sure mine never saw combat. The furniture has the marks that make me think it's original, it was probably too late for WWII and probably too early (at the bottom of the pile) for Korea.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 16, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I prefer using German weapons on Nazis. For deepening the irony.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Nobody has killed more Communists in the world than Communists.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I really love the challenge of long range (800+), there's something about the almost Zen-like meditation and focus where everything has to come together and the smallest poo poo will throw you off by an arm's length. The Army ruined "short" (like 300-400) range shooting for me once I could consistently hit 38 or above with some lovely M4A1 and CCOs that I still had to Kentucky windage the gently caress out of to get on target.

Firing a 240 is like shooting a loving laser cannon, the stark raging erection from the experience would dig it's own firing position into the dirt.

Always did love my 240, that was a sweet gun.

Mye experience with it might have been improved by the fact I only had to carry it to and from the humvee to my room, tho.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The 240 for me was like a bad relationship with good sex every once in a while. But you have to do two hours of cleaning after you gently caress.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

CommieGIR posted:

I prefer using German weapons on Nazis. For deepening the irony.

You should track down one of the K98s that were given to Israel, then

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Internet Wizard posted:

You should track down one of the K98s that were given to Israel, then

Especially the ones redone to 308. Oh man I'd snap one up quick.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Another cop on my wall who thinks anyone who was at the counter protests deserved to die, as they are "against the government".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Another cop on my wall who thinks anyone who was at the counter protests deserved to die, as they are "against the government".
Now who was it who was against the government last year?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Nazis: well known allies of the United States.

Likewise: the confederacy; definitely not a group that advocated overthrowing the US government

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

STATES RIGHTS ARGLBARLGFUCK

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Wasabi the J posted:

well gently caress that guy

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Did Terminal Lance farm out their artwork to whoever draws Penny Arcade now?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That's the kind of comment that deserves being released to the media.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LingcodKilla posted:

That's the kind of comment that deserves being released to the media.

Oh he left it ambiguous enough.

quote:

People who hate government, call for disorder if people disagree with them, block roads and have proven themselves violent, quickly changed their mindset when the boogie man showed up and hurt them .Notice they all screamed for help from EMS and police. Ironic.

(uncensored car kill video)

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I mean I get Truman's desegregation was in some ways progressive historically, but how do you make this statement from the head of an organization that had internally institutionalized racism for like 70%+ of that period?

This is a real question for all the milgoons. I'm a civilian who's not having a good time right now given the rise of open Nazism in America, and I'm interested in knowing where the military stands in general? I know the branches all have different internal cultures (I guess the Navy is most "left" and the Air Force is strongly evangelical according to that documentary), but I wonder what the general temperature is like? If society really does start turning into armed camps, where will the military place its loyalties? How many actual white supremacists are the military? Is understanding how horrible Nazis were a part of military historical training?

This isn't something I considered to be a problem until very recently, unfortunately. Are you guys here to protect us?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pembroke Fuse posted:

This is a real question for all the milgoons. I'm a civilian who's not having a good time right now given the rise of open Nazism in America, and I'm interested in knowing where the military stands in general? I know the branches all have different internal cultures (I guess the Navy is most "left" and the Air Force is strongly evangelical according to that documentary), but I wonder what the general temperature is like? If society really does start turning into armed camps, where will the military place its loyalties? How many actual white supremacists are the military? Is understanding how horrible Nazis were a part of military historical training?

This isn't something I considered to be a problem until very recently, unfortunately. Are you guys here to protect us?

Not sure about the active component, but some National Guard units I've worked with may as well still be the Confederate Army in terms of their racial makeup and their views. The Army Reserve is a bit better, since they tend to draw from a wider geographic area (and all over the country when they're activated).

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If people you know feel so strongly against the removal of confederate statues, ask them if they would be willing to join in on a protest march.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/Scott_Gilmore/status/897582269308653568

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Happy birthday, Charles Bukowski:

quote:

The nights you fight best are
when all the weapons are pointed at you,
when all the voices hurl their insults
while the dream is being strangled.

when reason gets kicked in the gut,
when the chariots of gloom encircle you.

when the laughter of fools fills the air,
when the kiss of death is mistaken for love.

when the game is fixed,
when the crowd screams for your blood.

on a night like this
as you chase a thousand dark rats from your brain,
as you rise up against the impossible,
as you become a brother to the tender sister of joy

and move on 

regardless.

I think Buk would hate the gently caress out of fascists.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The bulk of the military are people who are on their first term enlisted. This group is a pretty even cross section of America, ethnically, politically, and ideologically.

Unfortunately that group is the least powerful in the organization. The more an enlisted person re-enlists, the more that person drifts conservative in my experience. So senior enlisted look more conservative than America. Senior enlisted also think they are the military, and do a lot to define the work culture, so they're mostly the reason if there's a TV on, it's probably playing Fox News.

The real problem is the officer class, which looks much less like America. Polls I've seen suggest about 75% of officers are republicans, and my anecdotal experience bears this out. The average officer is drawn from the khaki wearing college history club set, usually from a second tier or lower school because they weigh GPA much higher than program difficulty in selection. So, they're starting off with a nerdier, whiter, richer, more religious demographic than the average American before they even start getting acculturated into the military.

The officers are the ones who make the decisions. They're overwhelmingly conservative compared to most of America, and their key enlisted advisors are also much more conservative than most of America. The republican party is continually radicalizing, and as of recently, becoming more openly tolerant of white supremacists. So to your original point: I don't think the military is currently a hub of white supremacists. Trends for where things will be in 10 years though are a little worrying.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_and_Joe

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ever come back from a nice vacation and find out that work has completely gone to hell in your absence, and the mountain of poo poo you have to climb completely overshadows any relaxation you got while on leave?

Well, a certain public defender in Charlottesville has you beat.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/lawyer-assigned-to-alleged-charlottesville-attacker-does-not-know

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Most of the dudes I served with want to know why we are erasing history by taking down monuments.

It's like a 70/30 ratio or something close to that.

I was infantry if it makes a difference. Which I'm sure it does.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Best Friends posted:

The bulk of the military are people who are on their first term enlisted. This group is a pretty even cross section of America, ethnically, politically, and ideologically.

Unfortunately that group is the least powerful in the organization. The more an enlisted person re-enlists, the more that person drifts conservative in my experience. So senior enlisted look more conservative than America. Senior enlisted also think they are the military, and do a lot to define the work culture, so they're mostly the reason if there's a TV on, it's probably playing Fox News.

The real problem is the officer class, which looks much less like America. Polls I've seen suggest about 75% of officers are republicans, and my anecdotal experience bears this out. The average officer is drawn from the khaki wearing college history club set, usually from a second tier or lower school because they weigh GPA much higher than program difficulty in selection. So, they're starting off with a nerdier, whiter, richer, more religious demographic than the average American before they even start getting acculturated into the military.

The officers are the ones who make the decisions. They're overwhelmingly conservative compared to most of America, and their key enlisted advisors are also much more conservative than most of America. The republican party is continually radicalizing, and as of recently, becoming more openly tolerant of white supremacists. So to your original point: I don't think the military is currently a hub of white supremacists. Trends for where things will be in 10 years though are a little worrying.

Yeah, this seems pretty bad. :(

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Most of the dudes I served with want to know why we are erasing history by taking down monuments.

The monuments built 50 years after the fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Did you remind them that the Confederacy wants to kill them?

• Locked thread