Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DuckConference posted:

renting places is hard

the place that was $insane + $some was so drat nice

but going for the place that's just $insane seems so much more prudent

like seriously don't try to pick something long term in the bay. pick something you can afford and save to move somewhere that doesn't suck when you're further into your career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
she says having spent probably 3 or 4 grand per month on housing because dogs and apple money

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
also, as a single person: sure the rent is too drat high, but the bay is otherwise a great place to live, and i'm not leaving unless it's to go back to san diego :)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i mean yeah it's suburban as gently caress but jesus some people make it sound like siberia or something. it's fine, the weather's nice and there's lots of good stuff within day-tripping distance.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 16, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

she says having spent probably 3 or 4 grand per month on housing because dogs and apple money

what kind of monster gets rid of pets for cheaper rent?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

cis autodrag posted:

what kind of monster gets rid of pets for cheaper rent?

the kind who literally cannot afford it

you're lucky, imagine all the non tech folks with pets

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

JewKiller 3000 posted:

you're lucky, imagine all the non tech folks with pets

ya i can totally empathize with that, but i think that's why literally every fast food place, retail store, and service in the valley is super understaffed; all the not-tech people are leaving rather than give up the things they care about to afford skyrocketing house prices.

there was an article the other day where a developer was talking about how google's san jose development is going to double housing prices and the interviewer got increasingly mad as he just sort of shrugged at "what can we do about it?"

poo poo won't get better until the rich people start to feel the pressure to that will probably take a ballot measure to unfuck the property tax to do.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

poo poo won't get better until the chinese credit bubble collapses and all the fuckers cash out their west coast property investments.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Literally this. If you have a choice between your pet and being homeless and living in a box on the street, what are you going to do?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Literally this. If you have a choice between your pet and being homeless and living in a box on the street, what are you going to do?

Live in a box and rob and murder with my pack of dogs. Prolly beats computer touching.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
speaking as someone that spent a stint of his life homeless, it doesn't beat anything.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
ya i did not mean to marginalize homeless people. ive never been but ive been close and there are some truly hard choices to make when you're there.

my statement was purely about when people have the means but still boot their pet to save a buck.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Lol I wasn't offended at all, I was more laughing at the idea that being homeless somehow beats "computer touching" in any facet.

And yeah, I realize that that comment wasn't said with any degree of seriousness.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol this thread, every time

yosposter: "gently caress yeah just got an awesome job with mad figgies :woop:"
landlord: "yeaaaahhh that's a real cool pay package, congrats! i'm just going to go ahead and confiscate that..."

:capitalism:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Not having pets is the solution

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tbf while literally every single landlord deserves death by some absolutely downright medieval poo poo the real problem is the majority of the UK and US is a blighted economic wasteland and more places need to have a local economy that consists of more than walmart, wendy's, and the local meth trade (now featuring amazon warehouses!)

people talk about raising property taxes and vertical construction running jackbooted over nimbys as if a manhattanesque san francisco with 15 million people inside its unexpanded city limits is a good thing

at least the french were smart enough ~30 years ago to decide hey maybe we shouldn't put literally everything in paris

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

living in a nice area without a housing crisis is also an option

grats Luigi and huhu

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

living in a nice area without a housing crisis is also an option

grats Luigi and huhu

a complete and unabridged list of nice, affordable, well-paying areas:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if you're lucky you get to pick two out of "nice, affordable, well-paying".

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sapozhnik posted:

which one is affordable and well paying?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
detroit

you wanna program car firmware i'm sure it pays pretty drat well especially when you can buy a house downtown for like $50

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sapozhnik posted:

Sapozhnik posted:

detroit

you wanna program car firmware i'm sure it pays pretty drat well especially when you can buy a house downtown for like $50

Affordable and nice?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

Affordable and nice?

edinburgh :allears:

e: probably most student towns in general

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
edinburgh is an absolutely beautiful city with a ton of things to do, but affordable it is not

they really like american accents, too :heysexy:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
idk i managed to live there very comfortably indeed as an undergrad and a postgrad, unless working people somehow make less money than a postgrad stipend it doesn't seem that expensive to me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bhodi posted:

edinburgh is an absolutely beautiful city with a ton of things to do, but affordable it is not

they really like american accents, too :heysexy:

the best thing to do in edinburgh is get the train to glasgow imo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

vancouver is okay and not as completely unaffordable as most people think, but the figgies are nothing like the bay area. but silicon valley is in its own league anyway.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Affordable and nice?

Lots of places in Detroit are nice. Just stay away from the rot and you are fine.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

hrmm i work remotely and live wherever i want (nice, affordable) and make sfo salary (well paid) -- did technology actually solve something? it appears so

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also interviewing is garbage I agree.
But being the interviewer is also very very garbage.

I have interviewed 10 people so far, 8 were terribad, 1 is ok but seems like the kind of guy who licks his finger before turning the page on bis kindle.

The last guy is young and only has 2 years of professional experience but has a bs in comp sci from Michigan tech which is really good.

But the other 8? Hollllllly poo poo friends. If you EVER need a confidence boost, interview other programmers.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

Also interviewing is garbage I agree.
But being the interviewer is also very very garbage.

I have interviewed 10 people so far, 8 were terribad, 1 is ok but seems like the kind of guy who licks his finger before turning the page on bis kindle.

The last guy is young and only has 2 years of professional experience but has a bs in comp sci from Michigan tech which is really good.

But the other 8? Hollllllly poo poo friends. If you EVER need a confidence boost, interview other programmers.

this was my experience when i was doing interviews. roughly 9/10 phone candidates were dogshit trash who didn't know how to hold a knife and fork, and out of the people who were successful at the most elementary part of the interview process, only around 60% succeeded in the f2f.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

vancouver is okay and not as completely unaffordable as most people think, but the figgies are nothing like the bay area. but silicon valley is in its own league anyway.

gently caress man, i dunno. if you're in tech sure, but i can't imagine trying to live here otherwise. and even some of the tech jobs pay pretty badly, tbh.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jony neuemonic posted:

gently caress man, i dunno. if you're in tech sure, but i can't imagine trying to live here otherwise. and even some of the tech jobs pay pretty badly, tbh.

ya i've seen jobs here demanding 5+ years experience but then on the phone they tell me "well we're looking to pay 70k" rofl. honestly though you can get 100-120k for 5-10 years here if you're good. i can't imagine living here without a tech job though, a lot of my friends don't earn anything more than 60k and that's considered a decent wage.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

still, the wage to cost-of-living ratio is waaaay better here than in london. i can get the same or even better wage here and my own apartment for what i would pay for a houseshare back home.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qhat posted:

this was my experience when i was doing interviews. roughly 9/10 phone candidates were dogshit trash who didn't know how to hold a knife and fork, and out of the people who were successful at the most elementary part of the interview process, only around 60% succeeded in the f2f.

I think I am hitting your percentages almost to the T. It's disheartening and a moral boost at the same time.

Disheartening because we really need somebody to fill in for my friend who left and everybody is poo poo for the most part.

A moral boost because I know I am above the poo poo piles now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qhat posted:

still, the wage to cost-of-living ratio is waaaay better here than in london. i can get the same or even better wage here and my own apartment for what i would pay for a houseshare back home.

In Santa Barbara, a shared room is 800$ a month.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

yeah definitely, if you're in a high salary field the quality of life here is pretty great. just sucks for the people who aren't.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

In Santa Barbara, a shared room is 800$ a month.

i was paying around £800/mo for a room in london. here i pay C$950.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qhat posted:

i was paying around £800/mo for a room in london. here i pay C$950.

Oh look at mr fancy pants getting a whole room to himself !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

Oh look at mr fancy pants getting a whole room to himself !

there's no way you're gonna convince me to share a room with some UBC undergrad lol

• Locked thread