Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

This is also a reminder to myself to update this thing through HoD.

Thank you I'll check it out, I've never played a peasant cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Just finished these in time for GenCon tomorrow. The Demonic Tutor is a Rune-Scarred Demon.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Cube is great when it's someone else's.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TwistedNails posted:

Cube owns, please post cubetutor links to good cubes I should make for 4 person pods.
My late lgs' owner now that he's closed up has a truly ridiculous cube.

Each of the yellow boxes is one 'module'. To play you pick out and mix and match 5 modules that you want. The modules might be, power, ramp and fatties, enemy hybrid, zombie tribal, whatever. Each card is double sleeved with something on the front so you can re sort them afterwards. The long boxes are in progress future modules, and he's up to like 35 now it is nuts.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Each of the yellow boxes is one 'module'. To play you pick out and mix and match 5 modules that you want. The modules might be, power, ramp and fatties, enemy hybrid, zombie tribal, whatever. Each card is double sleeved with something on the front so you can re sort them afterwards. The long boxes are in progress future modules, and he's up to like 35 now it is nuts.

That's such a cool idea.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

That's beautiful.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So it's smash up with magic cards?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Some Numbers posted:

Make a Khans Cube!
I'm still pretty new to how magic is played nowadays, but from what I could gather a playset of commons doesn't seem like a stellar pool for a cube. I guess it's a start so I may as well hold one extra set. I'm probably going to crack a few more khans boxes in the near future and could also end up with an extra set of uncommons. Having both seems like a more realistic approach to a cube

Elyv posted:

That's probably not worth it because a box of cards like that is pretty heavy. If you want to dump them, your LGS probably has a bulk common rate.
Well first I'd have to find an lgs! Back in the nineties there were like three in my immediate area but right now it looks like I need to drive at least 1 hour and I'm not too hot on that. There are some mtg events in a location near me next month that I plan to attend for some casual play and contact making, and I hope someone there can point me to a shop that's a little closer. Oh, and shipping costs on bulk aren't that bad tbh. Those long cardboard boxes that hold a thousand cards ship for like 5-6 bux in my country if you hit the right weight

Thx for the input, folks

Btw, my first box of BFZ greeted me with an overgrown tomb. I had heard about these new super rare cards but didn't expect to see one myself. Part of me wants to pawn it for the booster box wallet, and the other wants to sit on it for the next 5-10 years :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So I had an interesting judge call over the weekend. I play a Phyrexian Metamorph with an ensnaring bridge in play and my opponent asks "What are you targeting?" I let him know that that the card doesn't target so instead he asks "What are you naming". I tell him "ensnaring bridge" and then says "Well I blow up your bridge then.".

I call a judge, explain what has just happened. The judge explains the mechanics of clones to the dismay of my opponent. My opponent then attempts to get clever and say "I ask him what will he name, as in what his intentions were once it was in play, the clone isn't in play yet."

The judge call goes in my favor, but I get a feeling that my opponent just lied to a judge. He didn't understand that naming can't be responded to, so he changed his story after he did.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Regardless of what they say, if your opponent lets you name a card with Metamorph, Revoker, Cabal Therapy, Predict etc the card has already resolved/ is resolving.

Last time I played legacy, my opponent tried to activate his Phantasmagorian in response to my Revoker name, which I specifically asked if it resolved before naming anything. Then he acted like I was trying to cheat him.

Sickening posted:

I call a judge, explain what has just happened. The judge explains the mechanics of clones to the dismay of my opponent. My opponent then attempts to get clever and say "I ask him what will he name, as in what his intentions were once it was in play, the clone isn't in play yet."

This is :lol: and nobody in the world would side with him on this.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Necronomicon posted:

Sweet - although dang, Deschamps' signature just looks like a scribble.

Agreed, Zack Stella does a waaay better job.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
FWIW, the actual rules are like

quote:

If an opponent inquires about choices made during resolution, that player is assumed to be passing priority and allowing that spell or ability to resolve.

So even if his position from the start was that horseshit "I ask him what will he name, as in what his intentions were once it was in play" stuff, any competent judge would still rule against him.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

So I had an interesting judge call over the weekend. I play a Phyrexian Metamorph with an ensnaring bridge in play and my opponent asks "What are you targeting?" I let him know that that the card doesn't target so instead he asks "What are you naming". I tell him "ensnaring bridge" and then says "Well I blow up your bridge then.".

The judge call goes in my favor, but I get a feeling that my opponent just lied to a judge. He didn't understand that naming can't be responded to, so he changed his story after he did.

I don't think he lied to a judge, that's just what some people assume about cards that have you name or choose something on resolution and aren't triggers. It was a big thing with Pithing Needle and Cabal Therapy. The shortcut guidelines state that if Player A casts something like Clone, Player B can't slyly ask "What are you naming?" or even "What are you going to name?" - if they do, it's resolving. People don't lie about it, they just try to be scummy by asking questions and assuming the rules will work in their favor.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alansmithee posted:

So it's smash up with magic cards?

Smash up with 7 wonders would make for the ultimate cube replacement.

E: so millennium blades with drafting

\/\/ yeah they're bad games but I mean cube is cube. Scythe is OK but food chain magnate is much better for similar mechanics if you can stomach the price.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 16, 2017

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Smash up with 7 wonders would make for the ultimate cube replacement.

E: so millennium blades with drafting

Smash-up and 7 wonders are just bad games.

Haven't played Millenium Blades yet, but I like Level 99 and Battlecon and Argent are amazing.

Real men, and ladies, and ladies who dress like men play Scythe and Sushi Go!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tin Tim posted:

I'm still pretty new to how magic is played nowadays, but from what I could gather a playset of commons doesn't seem like a stellar pool for a cube. I guess it's a start so I may as well hold one extra set. I'm probably going to crack a few more khans boxes in the near future and could also end up with an extra set of uncommons. Having both seems like a more realistic approach to a cube
Yeah, the idea would be something like 4 of each common, 3 of each uncommon, 2 of each rare and one of each mythic rare. Divide cards by rarity and make actual packs (10 commons, 3 uncommons and a rare or mythic)

Then you have a Cube that's a reasonable facsimile of the original draft format.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
sushi go is lots of fun can agree

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

What was spell or ability was he trying to play in order to "blow up your bridge"?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

What was spell or ability was he trying to play in order to "blow up your bridge"?

Abrupt decay. How is the relevant?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Abrupt decay. How is the relevant?

I guess I don't understand why he couldn't just remove it after the cloning resolved.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I guess I don't understand why he couldn't just remove it after the cloning resolved.

His intent was to kill the bridge before I could clone it. Which he could have done if he wasn't greedy. I had other artifacts out as possible clone targets.

He did remove the original bridge. He just didn't expect my creature bridge to be there.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

His intent was to kill the bridge before I could clone it. Which he could have done if he wasn't greedy. I had other artifacts out as possible clone targets.

Got it. I thought the original bridge was his.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think he lied to a judge, that's just what some people assume about cards that have you name or choose something on resolution and aren't triggers. It was a big thing with Pithing Needle and Cabal Therapy. The shortcut guidelines state that if Player A casts something like Clone, Player B can't slyly ask "What are you naming?" or even "What are you going to name?" - if they do, it's resolving. People don't lie about it, they just try to be scummy by asking questions and assuming the rules will work in their favor.

people just straight up don't get that interaction. I've had the "so it resolves?", "are you sure?", "if you want to activate something, do it now before I name it..." conversation with Pithing Needle so many times, and still have to straight up tell people to crack their fetchland at the end of it

gently caress that particular guy though, even if he thought what he was doing was legal, angle shooting is mad scummy

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Trying to be greedy and "get" your opponent while not knowing how the rules actually work is exactly what I expect from grinders.

Trying to get a judge to side with your incorrect interpretation of how the rules work is what I expect from scummy Magic players.

This is why I only play casually and Cube.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Is Sushi Go any good with just two players?

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Some Numbers posted:

Trying to be greedy and "get" your opponent while not knowing how the rules actually work is exactly what I expect from grinders.

Trying to get a judge to side with your incorrect interpretation of how the rules work is what I expect from scummy Magic players.

This is why I only play casually and Cube.

Weekend before last at standard a guy who is a relentless rules grinder got busted trying to trade packs for a concession from his opponent. He was trying to angle for a playmat with 'Mastermind' on it and it was awesome.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Aranan posted:

Is Sushi Go any good with just two players?

Most drafting games won't be stellar at 2 players. Sushi Go (spring for Sushi Go Party instead if possible) is a fantastic game, but I would prefer to have at least 3 for it. If you want a drafting game that works for 2 players, I would suggest one of the following:

Elysium
Greed
Kingdomino

For reference, drafting is a mechanic where each player starts with an equal number of resources, each player selects one of the resources to keep, and passes the rest to an opponent. This process is repeated until each resource pile is depleted.

e: It appears that we are both in the wrong thread somehow.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

little munchkin posted:

people just straight up don't get that interaction. I've had the "so it resolves?", "are you sure?", "if you want to activate something, do it now before I name it..." conversation with Pithing Needle so many times, and still have to straight up tell people to crack their fetchland at the end of it

gently caress that particular guy though, even if he thought what he was doing was legal, angle shooting is mad scummy

Same conversation with "no, you can't respond to me putting creatures down with Company after you have let it resolve, this is why I asked."

Lmao at the grinder trying to 'get' you with the bridges though.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Madmarker posted:

7 wonders are just bad games

Fight me IRL.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Retromancer posted:

Fight me IRL.

It's just drafting, but you don't get to play with your deck afterwards.

Just Cube.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Retromancer posted:

Fight me IRL.

Ya and me too

also cube is the best if that wasn't clear

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Argent owns, just playa Argent

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

It's just drafting, but you don't get to play with your deck afterwards.

Just Cube.

So, you get to do the fun part of drafting, but not the tedious part of drafting? Sounds terrible!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ShadeofBlue posted:

So, you get to do the fun part of drafting, but not the tedious part of drafting? Sounds terrible!

Sounds like Magic's not the game for you, if actually playing the game is tedious.

7 Wonders is a decent enough design, but it's suuuuper shallow tactics wise.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Scott Fischer is the only artist with a good signature

and I would still never get a card signed unless I knew I was keeping it forever and ever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've played several non-magic drafting games and have yet to find one that preserves all the parts of magic drafting that I like

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
7 Wonders Duel is a great light drafting mechanic game for two players.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
okay but is there a drafting game for me, lover of cute girls and anime baps

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Food fight is a fun draft game and has a simplified MTG game afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Molybdenum posted:

Food fight is a fun draft game and has a simplified MTG game afterwards

The properties of mtg drafting that I consider important, that I have yet to see another game duplicate all of are:
--The kinds of things you want stay the same from pack to pack; i.e. you don't just start over from scratch for each one
--Signals matter, i.e. you care what the other players are doing
--You aren't forced to use detrimental cards you draft; i.e. you can't be screwed over by your last pick
--You do something with the cards afterwards

Does food fight have those?

dragon enthusiast posted:

okay but is there a drafting game for me, lover of cute girls and anime baps

idk about drafting but Tanto Cuore is Dominion with anime boobs and a slightly better ruleset