Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Thumbtacks posted:

So I had a really good idea for a stupid wild magic offshoot where the wizard, instead of rolling on the wild table, grabs the top card on a deck of cards against humanity and that card is the resulting spell instead

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
That sounds like a blast but you'd better be really good at stat improv that keeps the game balanced. Not having any idea what the damage roll or resulting effects are ahead of time can get... difficult.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If it's a replacement for the wild table it won't happen super frequently so I think it would be doable. Generally when I DM I'm a little fast and loose with combat rules just because the story's usually more entertaining anyway, at least for me

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That sounds like a blast but you'd better be really good at stat improv that keeps the game balanced. Not having any idea what the damage roll or resulting effects are ahead of time can get... difficult.

Just keep the table handy and use it for damage range/effect ideas.

Just specify beforehand that obviously mechahitler does aoe damage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thumbtacks posted:

So I had a really good idea for a stupid wild magic offshoot where the wizard, instead of rolling on the wild table, grabs the top card on a deck of cards against humanity and that card is the resulting spell instead
"You summon an enormous obsidian obelisk"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I mean, casting 'Three dicks at the same time' is pretty easy to settle. But casting "Daddy Issues" or "Historical Revisionism" is going to take a bit of mental gymnastics to turn into a game mechanic.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Historical revisionism: choose an important fact about the world's history. You believe it to be an accidental or deliberate falsification.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

P.d0t posted:

Alright, I've gotta ask:

How many people itt are legit using some sort of character generator to make their characters for 5e?
If so, how much of that is "to use additional content that is spread over UA/is in a book I don't own"?

How would one illegitimately use a character creator to build a character?

I have the hard copies of the PHB, DM, MM, VGM and SCAG. They were $30-45 on Amazon Canada.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

doctor 7 posted:

I have the hard copies of the PHB, DM, MM, VGM and SCAG. They were $30-45 on Amazon Canada.

I got all the books I think. I use an amazing android app called 5th edition character sheet so I don't need to whip between them. I think it has all extra content. It's intuitive. Ua stuff can be added in by importing files that people have hosted through Google Drive directly. My whole group uses it and it's a fun making GBS threads distraction as well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I got all the books I think. I use an amazing android app called 5th edition character sheet so I don't need to whip between them. I think it has all extra content. It's intuitive. Ua stuff can be added in by importing files that people have hosted through Google Drive directly. My whole group uses it and it's a fun making GBS threads distraction as well.

I checked this out. Is there a way to roll for damage on the weapons or spells?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Buy some dice

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

So im doing my prep and building some encounters and im not crazy when I say that low level enemies just have no abilities and do nothing interesting but attack right? It's not just a coincidence that im looking at specific ones? I'm hacking them in anyway but its just kinda shocking how little low level monsters even do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kingcom posted:

So im doing my prep and building some encounters and im not crazy when I say that low level enemies just have no abilities and do nothing interesting but attack right? It's not just a coincidence that im looking at specific ones? I'm hacking them in anyway but its just kinda shocking how little low level monsters even do.

The nice thing is, the math is all flat so you can use those same boring bags of hit points forever!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

The nice thing is, the math is all flat so you can use those same boring bags of hit points forever!

lol savage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

Yes.

One way that this sort of warps "normal" play is that I often see DM's raising concerns about players that go all-in on pumping their AC and become just about unhittable by the DM's monsters.

The obvious answer is to hit the player with something else besides an AC-based attack, but unless you're comfortable with homebrewing your own monsters, it's actually rather difficult to come up with monsters that do that just from the MM.

It makes perfect sense, at least to me, that most fights should have at least two, probably three defenses being tested, but monster design is so calcified by tradition and so restricted by the design that it never occurs to most people that if you're fighting two Goblins, one of them should be shooting Dex-save Firebolts for 1d4 damage, as well as Wisdom-save Rebel Yells for 1d3 damage.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

One way that this sort of warps "normal" play is that I often see DM's raising concerns about players that go all-in on pumping their AC and become just about unhittable by the DM's monsters.

The obvious answer is to hit the player with something else besides an AC-based attack, but unless you're comfortable with homebrewing your own monsters, it's actually rather difficult to come up with monsters that do that just from the MM.

It makes perfect sense, at least to me, that most fights should have at least two, probably three defenses being tested, but monster design is so calcified by tradition and so restricted by the design that it never occurs to most people that if you're fighting two Goblins, one of them should be shooting Dex-save Firebolts for 1d4 damage, as well as Wisdom-save Rebel Yells for 1d3 damage.

I mean its just strange they dont even rig them up to be something that obviously combos with another character if they only have the roll vs AC type of character and nothing else.

The classic pathfinder example are goblins with a sword and torch backed up by the goblin warchanter bard who buffs and casts grease. Its a very simple level 1 fight with gimmick mechanics, multiple defence attacks and damage types, good stuff. The 4e classic fight is a pack of kobold artillery with normal + fire + glue sling attacks and some skirmishs to slow them down and poke.

Not really seeing the 5e classic fight as anything more than 'enemies attack your AC' though im not sure thats a result of just the extremely fragile starting character or what. Im just going to load up more interesting abilities and see how it goes from there. They have the add constitution to health buffer so it should be fine.

On that note are there any sites that let me build NPC stat blocks nicely or am I just doing this by hand?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's too bad pathguy is limited to the Basic version
I wouldn't go near d20 d%d without pathguy doing the math for me.

AlphaDog posted:

I am using physical books and writing with pencil on a home made character sheet as god intended and as I have done since the 80s. I will continue to do so until someone achieves the impossible and provides a constantly updated character building app that is available for a small monthly fee.
I feel this is the one true way. You keep searching for little missing things from every character sheet you can find, and you always have something extra you could save the page space for. Eventually, a ruled notebook will become your system-agnostic perfect sheet.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlphaDog posted:

I am using physical books and writing with pencil on a home made character sheet as god intended and as I have done since the 80s. I will continue to do so until someone achieves the impossible and provides a constantly updated character building app that is available for a small monthly fee.

This just makes me even angrier at Beyond.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

kingcom posted:

Depends, if they're humanoid enemies they're humanoid, they're not going to be able to do much special in terms of trippy effects. They can talk and think so that gives them the ability to do -a lot- of things, they can talk and run and yell and bargain and zap wands and drink potions and read scrolls and gamble and hide and set off traps and turn over tables and pull levers and whatever else you can imagine a player character doing. Also you don't need to just attack - when I had a PC alone and outnumbered I've had some goblins taunted and teased them instead of attacking for a round or two (unaware of the other players who caught up to make it a fair fight, for example).

According to the DMG you can add a humanoid templates to any humanoid, so you can make some of them rogues or wizards or something. Like have a goblin shaman with an extra hit dice who can cast cleric cantrips or similar? Or kobold bezerkers who can get angry? Some undead and non-humanoid monsters like spiders, oozes, plants and funguses have some interesting effects inbuilt as well.

Or take a page from dnd basic and add in some Rust monsters, which can make the adventure take a more challenging turn, especially if the warriors don't have any metal armour or greatswords (encourage some scavenging for a little while)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kingcom posted:

I mean its just strange they dont even rig them up to be something that obviously combos with another character if they only have the roll vs AC type of character and nothing else.

The classic pathfinder example are goblins with a sword and torch backed up by the goblin warchanter bard who buffs and casts grease. Its a very simple level 1 fight with gimmick mechanics, multiple defence attacks and damage types, good stuff. The 4e classic fight is a pack of kobold artillery with normal + fire + glue sling attacks and some skirmishs to slow them down and poke.

Not really seeing the 5e classic fight as anything more than 'enemies attack your AC' though im not sure thats a result of just the extremely fragile starting character or what. Im just going to load up more interesting abilities and see how it goes from there. They have the add constitution to health buffer so it should be fine.

On that note are there any sites that let me build NPC stat blocks nicely or am I just doing this by hand?

Beyond appears to let you make Monster Statblocks for free from exploring it.

Also there a fair number of enemies that do that in 5e. Most monsters do tend to have one unique ability. Volo's guide probably helped the most however giving several variants to classic monsters.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

doctor 7 posted:

by legit I meant "are you actually or are you just bullshitting me?"

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I legitimately make all my 5e characters with Orcpub now, though I still have to make the odd correction. This is actually the first character creator I've ever used that has managed to replace typing in a word document or writing on a sheet of paper for me.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Best 5e character sheet is MPMB's, fight me.

This. Does everything for you. I double check and haven't seen it do anything wrong yet.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I typically do everything pencil & paper because I stare at a screen all day and use D&D as an escape from technology / real life. I've started using the Fight Club app to keep track of different AL characters I've had over the years and it's pretty nice once you get used to it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In Roll20 is there any way to move players to a map without dragging the ribbon from one map to another? What if the two maps are like 30 maps apart? and you gotta keep scrolling right and right and right and right?
I had to like, drop them off at random maps on the way to the real map and say please ignore this, this one too, nope sorry keep it moving, okay you're here. You were very very lost before but you're here.

Like all I want is to right click a map and say "move players here" but it just opens up the standard right click context menu of copy paste cut search google for, etc, etc, etc.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Krinkle posted:

In Roll20 is there any way to move players to a map without dragging the ribbon from one map to another? What if the two maps are like 30 maps apart? and you gotta keep scrolling right and right and right and right?
I had to like, drop them off at random maps on the way to the real map and say please ignore this, this one too, nope sorry keep it moving, okay you're here. You were very very lost before but you're here.

Like all I want is to right click a map and say "move players here" but it just opens up the standard right click context menu of copy paste cut search google for, etc, etc, etc.

I think moving the ribbon is the only way to do it, but if it makes a difference, you can drag the map itself to be closer to the current active map.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Right now they're in order for the module of storm King's thunder, I'm just thinking I gotta archive them as we go but later chapters are gonna be nuts.

And I mean the last time I DMed for a thing with a lot of maps I had trouble so for this one I'd want to know if a shortcut existed.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
What the heck is hexblade? The platonic ideal of a sword is your patron? You serve the Raven Queen but have a middle manager overseeing you, a sword that you don't actually get to use, because it's just out there somewhere, being a sword?

You're like if link went into the temple of time and said "that's a cool sword, I'd do anything for that sword" and left without taking the sword?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Imagine LOTR except the One Ring is a sword instead, and you are a swordwraith instead of a ringwraith.

DM would probably let you take it from a hobbit adventuring crew when you are high level, or give it to you at a low level and let it power up alongside you.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Oh cool another really goddamn powerful Wizard option man what a relief! They weren't powerful enough already, now they can specifically target the weak save or elemental weakness without even having to Batman their spell list.

edit: Oh neat a Warlock Invocation that requires you to be a Hexblade and specifically doesn't work well for Hexblades because it creates a two-hander.

I'm glad they're keeping the quality of UA at the level of "houserules that have never received feedback"

Darwinism fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 17, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Darwinism posted:

Oh cool another really goddamn powerful Wizard option man what a relief! They weren't powerful enough already, now they can specifically target the weak save or elemental weakness without even having to Batman their spell list.

edit: Oh neat a Warlock Invocation that requires you to be a Hexblade and specifically doesn't work well for Hexblades because it creates a two-hander.

I'm glad they're keeping the quality of UA at the level of "houserules that have never received feedback"

Luckily, feel free to be a Hexblade with any other pact. The only things in the pact that really require you to be attacking in melee are the charisma attack feature and three spells. In fact I think Shadow Hound is mostly useful for Eldritch Blast instead of attacking with a sword, and Eldritch Blast works just fine with Hexblade's Curse.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Krinkle posted:

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
What the heck is hexblade? The platonic ideal of a sword is your patron? You serve the Raven Queen but have a middle manager overseeing you, a sword that you don't actually get to use, because it's just out there somewhere, being a sword?

You're like if link went into the temple of time and said "that's a cool sword, I'd do anything for that sword" and left without taking the sword?

This is a fairly old UA. And yes it doesn't give you the Sword or Special Weapon. It is a flavor/mechanics conflict and a lot of people commented on it back then.

Darwinism posted:

You realize this is months and months old right? They have since put out a UA with Warlock Invocations that basically convert a lot of these into something that can be taken by any pact, used with the Hexblade's Curse, the Hex spell, and possibly something else.

Don't think the Lore Wizard got an update but I am assuming that won't get put into the UA compilation book coming out since it was given a lot of negative feedback I believe.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Ryuujin posted:

This is a fairly old UA. And yes it doesn't give you the Sword or Special Weapon. It is a flavor/mechanics conflict and a lot of people commented on it back then.

You realize this is months and months old right? They have since put out a UA with Warlock Invocations that basically convert a lot of these into something that can be taken by any pact, used with the Hexblade's Curse, the Hex spell, and possibly something else.

Don't think the Lore Wizard got an update but I am assuming that won't get put into the UA compilation book coming out since it was given a lot of negative feedback I believe.

All the UA sort of blurs together into a haze of mostly bad decisions with a few neat things, to be perfectly honest. There's not really any sense of progression that shows they're getting more comfortable working the system to get it to do what they want.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'm hosting a game in six hours and someone asked me last minute if they could be hexblade just now and I wanted to know what the hell as soon as possible. I'm sorry if it looked like I was announcing new UA.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Krinkle posted:

I'm hosting a game in six hours and someone asked me last minute if they could be hexblade just now and I wanted to know what the hell as soon as possible. I'm sorry if it looked like I was announcing new UA.

Nah that was all me not remembering that UA. Hexblade is really weird thematically in 5E, because yeah you are just pretty much just thinking about how great a sword you don't have is, and it's not all that great as an archetype but at least it's a caster. That'll take any character pretty far.

This iteration is kinda more like the 4E Essentials Hexblade, which isn't terribly surprising because that was Mearls too, only instead of summoning a facet of this terrible artifact thing to fight with you just... summon a generic weapon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's like courtly love except a sword.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm in an LDR with my primary class feature

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

It lives in Canada the Shadowfell that's why you never see it but we're very serious and it would never grant power to other Warlocks

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

like courtney love except with a sword.

My early morning fuzz brain just provided my next character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The dark blade's name is "darkblade."