Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

In their newest Smocaine video on youtube, Sam Hyde is barely in it.

I think Sam Hyde has lost his tether to reality.

Sam Hyde, like Baked Alaska, is what happens when you do too much internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

"Riot"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Teddy was a rabid jingoist imperialist, though.

It's weird how similar him and LBJ are in terms of domestic awesomeness vs foreign policy terribleness.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Montasque posted:

I think Sam Hyde has lost his tether to reality.

Sam Hyde, like Baked Alaska, is what happens when you do too much internet.

It isn't even necessarily "too much internet," he just thought that white men were really oppressed when normal people hated his standup schtick and went full fascist.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/GatorsScott/status/897806317489934336

Spencer denied another platform in Gainesville because people were forwarding posts about it becoming a battleground to administrators

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

.ru

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm convinced that the alt-rights oversized presence in internet is basically all russian cyber-ops, so this didn't surprise me.

Compare the actual real world turnout of these guys, versus the vice comments section, or most anything on Reddit.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

I'm convinced that the alt-rights oversized presence in internet is basically all russian cyber-ops, so this didn't surprise me.

Compare the actual real world turnout of these guys, versus the vice comments section, or most anything on Reddit.

I have brain parasites too.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i don’t think anyone in russian it or intelligence has ever cared or maybe even heard about the daily stormer, apart from their new hosting company customer rep

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

rudatron posted:

nazis are just cowards, dude

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's certainly a component to it. Look at Breitbart's alexa traffic. It couldn't be more obvious that they've been renting bots.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/breitbart.com

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

rudatron posted:

it's just old fashioned invasions like when SA was relevant and did goonrushes

e: I mean I'm sure there are people that augment it with bots too but there's no shortage of shiftless dudes willing to talk trash on the internet

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

zegermans posted:

There's certainly a component to it. Look at Breitbart's alexa traffic. It couldn't be more obvious that they've been renting bots.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/breitbart.com

Cooking the books on trafficking metrics is one thing, but they don't need bots for Nazi NEETS to spam comments sections. They think it's praxis.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
their online presence doesnt turn out because their moms wont let them go out and play nazi

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not saying that nazi neets aren't a factor.

But here's the thing: people are more likely to do something, if they think it's popular. Which you can do with upvoting or viewer bots or whatever.

You create a false impression of peer support to drive behavior. Its all smokes and mirrors, but on the internet, that's all you need.

There's no other explanation for how lop-sided it is. SA is fine, because :10bux:, but the brigading is too real, and too extreme everywhere else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And a lot of social media sites know about the bots and don't care because they make the numbers go up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

zegermans posted:

It's weird how similar him and LBJ are in terms of domestic awesomeness vs foreign policy terribleness.

Also a crazy eugenicist

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
i dont think internet fascists are a creation of the russians. there have been internet fascists as long as there has been an internet. there have always been plenty of ideological white supremacists (in addition to ordinary old racist white people) since shortly before europeans arrived in america. let's not make excuses

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

you don't need russian intelligence to make bots and alts to inflate numbers, just reactionary billionaires and/or bored tech nazis

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
we've designed an AI to combat nazis and white extremism online. it's extremely eff-oh, it's already started praising hitler and calling for the death of jews. pull the plug

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

logikv9 posted:

we've designed an AI to combat nazis and white extremism online. it's extremely eff-oh, it's already started praising hitler and calling for the death of jews. pull the plug

pretty much this but replace jews with syrians and it’s been deployed across youtube

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

logikv9 posted:

it's ironic so it's good

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

vice did a profile of the car terrorist based on what we know and it all but confirms that he is a vanilla isis 4-chan incel

https://news.vice.com/story/how-the-charlottesville-attacker-became-radicalized

quote:

One of Fields’ former middle school classmates, Caitlin Robinson, told The New York Times that Fields would “scream obscenities, whether it be about Hitler or racial slurs” and “wasn’t afraid to make you feel unsafe.” She also described him as “an outcast.”

quote:

Since the attack on Saturday that killed 32-year-old Heather Heyer, Fields’ family members and neighbors have painted a similar portrait of the young man with the media: clever but troubled.

quote:

In 2015, he tried to join the U.S. military before flunking out after just four months of basic training, the Army and records confirmed to VICE News. After his brief stint in the military, Fields worked for a security company called Securitas, according to CNN, where he made $650 every two weeks.

quote:

The day before Fields attended the “Unite the Right” event protesting the removal of a Robert E. Lee monument, he asked his mother to watch his cat. Despite her thinking he was just attending a Trump rally, his Facebook profile, later captured by Buzzfeed, revealed alt-right imagery, like Pepe the Frog.

doesn't mention it in this article but he also hit and abused his mother after she asked him to stop playing video games so much

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
putting the cover of stankonia on Stone Mountain would whip rear end

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

steinrokkan posted:

Teddy was a rabid jingoist imperialist, though.

Canadian, rabid imperialism is in his blood.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Also a crazy eugenicist

eugenics was a progressive idea originally. That's one part of the D'souza bullshit that's not actually made up, they thought it was a way to help cure illnesses and poverty. Social workers are still taught about it as an example of the failures of social sciences sometimes.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

R. Mute posted:

nazis are just cowards, dude

it's why Aurenheimer of all people basically ditched the US and is currently living a hop and a skip from Russia

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/JulianGillMusic/status/897614182052491264

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

the kids are alt-right

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

:lol:

coathat
May 21, 2007

Children's book with pede in the title

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:thunk:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

time for another round of: jew or muslim!

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

He's doing 'merchant' hands.

100% Jew.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

whynotboth.gif

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/897815728312668160

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Semi-ironically, one of my son's favorite picture books is The Night Riders by Matt Furie

The main character looks rather Pepe-esque, but it doesn't matter

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Doesn't he have a lawsuit to file against a woman who touched him

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Don't put this on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
A coworker was talking about Ben Shapiro today so I googled him and his IMDb page says he's 5'4 lol