Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folly
May 26, 2010

NancyPants posted:

You guys, this tax protestor FAQ is a goldmine.

Remember kids, the law is actually a magic spell. If you find the right combination of arcane syllables, you can bend it to your will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's not totally untrue.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Lowness 72 posted:

What does couldn't get classes mean? Like he doesn't qualify for 300 level classes? Don't universities have offices that specifically help you chart out your path?

They do, but if you're a gently caress up you can completely ignore them! I knew someone who was lazy and declined the (free) academic counseling and as a consequence took five years to graduate undergrad instead of four because he took courses for an engineering major in the wrong order, they weren't all offered every quarter, and he had to wait two quarters to take a course that was a requirement for the major. It's a very expensive mistake.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

That's not totally untrue.

"Your Honor, absolutely no law on the books prevented the bank I run from structuring subprime loans to take maximum advantage those both stupid enough to take them and equally stupid enough to invest in securities backing them, or even those who aren't stupid but didn't read the fine print"

vs.

"Sir - first, please tell me which of the two fictitious personas that comprise my identity must answer the question, followed by explaining why a court that clearly, per this stamped document - pay attention to the order of stamps please, there is a penalty if you don't, payable in pure silver - only has jurisdiction over the waters surrounding, and within, the land and not the land itself has jurisdiction over the person I am representing here today, who is not me, see the :: in my name and also the font used"

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

legendof posted:

They do, but if you're a gently caress up you can completely ignore them! I knew someone who was lazy and declined the (free) academic counseling and as a consequence took five years to graduate undergrad instead of four because he took courses for an engineering major in the wrong order, they weren't all offered every quarter, and he had to wait two quarters to take a course that was a requirement for the major. It's a very expensive mistake.

Five years to do an engineering degree is hardly a fuckup - lot of people have to take an extra term after their fourth year anyway so it's hardly the end of the world.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Whomever is home with baby should be on mturk at all times going their side jobs
Aww yeah, getting an extra 20 cents an hour will make all the difference here.

This commenter also suggested camming("solo or as a couple") for cash. At least that might actually bring in money, but really, just get rid of the drat car.

LastDeadMouse
Sep 5, 2003
That guy's dad rules for giving him such bad advice about the car payment. "Yeah my son, they can't take money ya don't have."

*Racks up potentially hundreds of dollars in overdraft charges and blows up his credit for a car that's 1 payment away from being paid off.*

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

but really, just get rid of the drat car.

Guarantee they are underwater on it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

For those who enjoy tax protester schadenfreude (or are just legal nerds) this is a goldmine http://tpgurus.wikidot.com/

quote:

William T. Conklin claims to be successful in fighting the IRS, and has described himself as a “known tax protester like Jesus Christ, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and George Washington.” Conklin v. United States, KTC 1994-259, 1994 WL 374410, Case No. 89-N-1514 (D. Col. 5/2/1994), aff'd . Unfortunately, his claims of success are contradicted by the public record, because he has lost every case on record. See, e.g., Conklin v. Commissioner, 91 T.C. 41 (1988); Church of World Peace, Inc. v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo 1992-318; Church of World Peace, Inc. v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo 1994-87; Church of World Peace, Inc. v IRS, 715 F.2d 492; United States v. Church of World Peace, 775 F.2d 265; Conklin v. United States, 812 F.2d 1318; Conklin v. C.I.R., 897 F.2d 1032 (10th Cir. 1990); Tavery v. United States, 897 F.2d 1027; Tavery v. United States, Civ. No. 87-Z-180 (USDC Col.); Tavery v. United States, No. 91-S-222 (D. Col.), aff'd 32 F.3d 1423, KTC 1994-389, No. 91-1376 (10th Cir. 1994).

Oddly enough, Conklin lists many of those cases on his web site as “wins,” but he never explains how he can “win” a case in which the court rules against him.

Conklin has offered $50,000 to anyone who can show him how to file an income tax return without waiving his 5th Amendment rights. One person gave him the correct answer (which is to omit any incriminating information from the return) and then sued him for the $50,000, but the court ruled in Conklin’s favor, saying that because Conklin was the one who had to be satisfied, he was the “sole arbitor of the sufficiency of any answer tendered,” it was solely up to him whether or not to award the prize, and he could reject answers he didn’t like even if the answers were legally correct. Walder v. Conklin, Case No. 01-CV-1038-B (U.S.D.C. Wyo. 12/13/2001). (Believe it or not, Conklin brags about this decision on his web site, listing it as a “win” and not realizing that the decision shows him to be a fraud because his “reward offer” is meaningless.)

lol Wesley Snipes is on the website

Sadly Red Crayons (the main site of hilarious sovcit stories) is offline now.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Youth Decay posted:

For those who enjoy tax protester schadenfreude (or are just legal nerds) this is a goldmine http://tpgurus.wikidot.com/

lol Wesley Snipes is on the website

Sadly Red Crayons (the main site of hilarious sovcit stories) is offline now.

The best thing about Snipes' case is that he didn't just fall for a tax avoidance scheme, he fell for the Section 861 scheme, which is quite possibly the dumbest of them all. Not dumb as in "bat-poo poo crazy/how do they keep a straight face" just dumb as in "how loving dumb do you have to be to believe this could work?"

Though "dumbest" is certainly open to debate.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ixian posted:

The best thing about Snipes' case is that he didn't just fall for a tax avoidance scheme, he fell for the Section 861 scheme, which is quite possibly the dumbest of them all. Not dumb as in "bat-poo poo crazy/how do they keep a straight face" just dumb as in "how loving dumb do you have to be to believe this could work?"

How does that one "work"

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

How does that one "work"

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2003/07/americas_oddest_tax_dodge.html

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Ixian posted:

I mean there are real tax schemes that happen where I think "there's no way this could work" like how Romey shoved a hundred milli into an IRA through accounting magic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Famous tax protester Jesus Harvey 'Render unto Caesar what is Caeser's' Christ.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That doesn't actually explain it, but https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_protester_861_argument does.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6tza1g/around_30k_in_credit_card_debt_need_advice_please/

quote:

25 yr old with parents around 60 yrs of age who live with me who I also support.
Income
Job 1 $1600 monthly
Job 2 $700 monthly
Expenses
Rent $1152 shared with parents.
Utilities $75
Electricity ~$145
Internet $80
Cell Phones $120
Car Insurance $199 went up from $145 due to a fender bender
Car Payment $307 for 72 months 7.84 APR, 18k car VW Jetta bought recently after returning a 2014 Honda Civic that was leased. I was planning on buying the Civic once the lease ended but it kept giving me problems hence the purchase. The Civic was $169 a month.
Health Insurance $155
Credit Card 1 $716.75 Minimum $35 APR
Credit Card 2 $2721.34 Minimum $77 APR 20.05%
Credit Card 3 $2711.34 Minimum $110 APR 22.24%
Credit Card 4 $6604.73 Minimum $171 APR 18.49%
Card 4 balance is high because I paid $5000 worth tuition when I didn't get finaid for that semester.
Credit Card 4 $3420.45 Minimum $93 APR 18.49%
Credit Card 5 $1616.81 Minimum $50 APR 18.49%
Credit Card 7 $9206.09 Minimum $200 APR 16.49%
Card 7 balance is high because I lent out money to a family member preventing them from being jailed in Saudi Arabia they have yet to repay it. Paid $200 then have been silent.

The remaining cards have gone up because of insurance premiums for myself and my mother and the 20% of medical costs. My father has Medicare so only 20% for his medical costs also.
In Oct 2015. I lost an additional income of $1200 that caused the debt. I am open to suggestions to pay it off. I pay $750 on minimum payments after expenses. I am also current on all my accounts.
Thanks in advance to any advice.

I sympathize for someone breaking their back to help keep their parents afloat but that bold part... woops.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

quote:

I lost an additional income of $1200 back in Oct 2015 and have been looking for additional work. That loss has put up the debt.

In response to someone telling him he needs to make more money. 22 months ago.

Rough times but as the posters pointed out, his expenses are noticeably larger than his income.

opposable thumbs.db fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 16, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Inescapable Duck posted:

Famous tax protester Jesus Harvey 'Render unto Caesar what is Caeser's' Christ.

Well, to be fair he also drew distinction between his person and his flesh and blood so I can see the confusion

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

Well, to be fair he also drew distinction between his person and his flesh and blood so I can see the confusion

:golfclap:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
literally everything is wrong there but how is the reaction to having car issues "yea let me get a 72 month high interest note on a Volkswagen Jetta"

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Today on the adventures of SovCit Jesus:

Look Judge Levi I fuckin told you, this bread is my body, if you're gonna collect taxes against my person you gotta collect from the bread, and gently caress you my dad can too declare me as a dependent, he can declare all your asses as dependents.

*a Roman Legionnaire tazes Jesus*

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Am I being detained screams Jesus as they nail him to the cross

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817963

The GBS version of this thread has some really depressing stories

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Am I being detained screams Jesus as they nail him to the cross

Are you nailing the fictional person or the flesh and blood man to the cr ow ow ow ow ow ok it's flesh and blood ow

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

canyoneer posted:

Looks like I won't be getting very much work done this afternoon

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

canyoneer posted:

Barry posted:

Looks like I won't be getting very much work done this afternoon

Goddammit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

It's like every stupid decision I've ever made trying to save money concentrated into a miserly paste.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Springfield Fatts posted:

My friend is a cheap rear end in a top hat. The last time I visited him Chicago he made me and my wife ride 20 minutes on the metro to go to this "great Chinese place he knows." It was completely unremarkable, and confusing as hell because he lived in what was known as the Little Saigon area of town and there were dozens of better options right outside his door. Then the mystery was solved at check time when he pulled out a buy one meal, get one free coupon out of his wallet. Of course he used the "free" meal for his own as we paid for ours. And he wonders why he's single.

Amazing

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

My BWM story is relatively boring and minor.

I have a friend, well, more of an acquaintance I keep in touch with from my old High School days. He at-most brings in about 30k yearly before taxes and wanted to build a gaming PC so I showed him some really sensible builds he could do or buy prebuilt. I bumped into him recently and he ended up building some dual 1080 ti SLI monstrosity with 64gb of RAM and a boatload of extras he would never in a million years need. I ended up doing the math and he spent around 12k building this thing. I told him to hit me up to play online at least considering he sunk a third of his yearly income into this thing. I then come to find out he doesn't even have broadband at his house so he can't download anything to play.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
that's some purestrain bwm for sure

kind of similar, but my friend wanted to get into pc gaming for the first time in his life and bought a "gaming pc" that didn't have a graphics card, so he was playing pubg in a tiny window at like 5 frames per second for weeks

at least it was cheap, and i ended up giving him my old graphics card that runs pubg reasonably well, so it worked out in the end

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Bwm: doing all that work on dayz to get poo poo on by pubg.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Virigoth posted:

Bwm: doing all that work on dayz to get poo poo on by pubg.

it's the same guy who made all the battle royale games

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I just asked said acquaintance about his lack of internet and apparently he does videos demonstrating his PC and unboxing lootcrates (lol), he just has to upload them on free wifi networks like McDonalds or Starbucks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like buying a Ferrari when you don't have a license.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Like buying a Ferrari when you don't have a license.

Or a Lamborghini with a manual transmission when you only have 1 arm.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

DJCobol posted:

Or a Lamborghini with a manual transmission when you only have 1 arm.

BWM is more about harm reduction when you think about it

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

canyoneer posted:

I'm a little turned off though by how they keep presenting guys not wanting to throw away thousands and thousands on blood diamonds as being "cheap"

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Nail Rat posted:

I'm a little turned off though by how they keep presenting guys not wanting to throw away thousands and thousands on blood diamonds as being "cheap"

You dropped your fedora

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can a non-blood diamond if you'd rather.

The whole thing is symbolic. Why not plastic, if the material doesn't matter? People only like moissanite because it pretends to be diamond. That's fine, but it's worth asking why you get a ring at all (hint: because she wants one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nail Rat posted:

Okay but the one where he bought a box on eBay and then a cheap fake ring and told her that it was whatever brand was p lovely