Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

GREETINGS FELLOW LEFTIST KIDS

(Pretend I sang that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i cant be a cop, like you other non cops i do the drugs. by the way do you fine fellas know the social security names and addresses of any drug dealers i can buy drugs from

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Swim away (doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo)
Swim away

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

zegermans posted:

like almost all of these were either erected in the Lost Cause/2nd Klan/Birth of a Nation revisionist period, or more recently

either way they were always about racism. I mean someone should probably articulate that at least because it utterly undercuts the idea that these statues have any validity w/r/t heritage.

yeah theres a reason theres no statues to the southern generals who became (relatively) pro-black republicans after the war like Longstreet

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

safely sodomized posted:

yeah theres a reason theres no statues to the southern generals who became (relatively) pro-black republicans after the war like Longstreet

longstreet has a statue and its literally the worst of the bunch because they completely hosed up the proportions*

*it was supposed to be displayed ontop of a column so it would look normal

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

zegermans posted:

way to whitewash Dennis Kucinich.

lol if u trust that spaceman

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

longstreet has a statue and its literally the worst of the bunch because they completely hosed up the proportions*

fat guy on a little horse

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

in fairness most statues are hollow because solid ones would weigh and cost a fuckton more

That's true but Confederacy statues are specifically cheaply mass produced because they were installed all over as a part of Jim crow

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you want to commemorate the Civil War, owning rebel traitors in a vidya game is always an option:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
cops are within the DSA leadership, perhaps you should respect them... if you know what's good for you :evil:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

safely sodomized posted:

well there are statues of forrest, probably because the people who erected them didn't know he fuckin' hated the klan after a year of trying to keep the membership focused on being a political club rather than a terrorist org (:laffo:) and spent the last few years of his life telling everyone what a bunch of losers they are

(disclaimer: nathan bedford forrest was still a bad person for his actions during the war)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i guess i should have said compared to the number of statues of like Lee, Davis, Forrest etc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

well there are statues of forrest, probably because the people who erected them didn't know he fuckin' hated the klan after a year of trying to keep the membership focused on being a political club rather than a terrorist org (:laffo:) and spent the last few years of his life telling everyone what a bunch of losers they are

(disclaimer: nathan bedford forrest was still a bad person for his actions during the war)

I read an airport novel once about how Erwin Rommel traveled to the United States in the 1910s, and he met William Faulkner and Nathan Bedford Forrest, and that was where Forrest taught him all he needed to know about mobile warfare and blitzkrieg.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

safely sodomized posted:

i guess i should have said compared to the number of statues of like Lee, Davis, Forrest etc

well it is literally the only monument to him and was only installed in the 90s

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you want to commemorate the Civil War, owning rebel traitors in a vidya game is always an option:

:scotland: brigade

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Looks like someone skipped leg day!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Frijolero posted:

"Noooo, it's a very important statue!"

*cheaply made statue completely bends, it's dick falls off*

Raskolnikov38 posted:

longstreet has a statue and its literally the worst of the bunch

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh my

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Frijolero posted:

I'm just looking forward to Bernie's future statue in Burlington.

He stands tall, waving his finger at bad dems, his lips and chin coated in Ben & Jerry's choco-mint ice cream.

I'll go for the unveiling and celebrate at Red Square (the bar) afterwards!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Frijolero posted:

I'm just looking forward to Bernie's future statue in Burlington.

He stands tall, waving his finger at bad dems, his lips and chin coated in Ben & Jerry's choco-mint ice cream.

will it be at the post office renaming when he passes his landmark 5th piece of legislation?

sorry I had to

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hahahahahahahaha

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This one can stay.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I read an airport novel once about how Erwin Rommel traveled to the United States in the 1910s, and he met William Faulkner and Nathan Bedford Forrest, and that was where Forrest taught him all he needed to know about mobile warfare and blitzkrieg.

lmao forrest died in the 1870s he would have been in his 90s in this confederate-nazi mashup

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

please antifa dont pull this one down

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

a fine southern dandy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

does he have a bullet hole in his knee

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i cant stop laughing

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Al! posted:

please antifa dont pull this one down

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

does the mouth move up and down and shoot off a stream of sparks

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al! posted:

i cant stop laughing

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
see, not every statue should come down! leaving that one will permanently own nathan bedford forrest

although it sort of looks like that horse wishes for someone to end its suffering

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Al! posted:

fat guy on a little horse

altering perspective so they dont look weird from the ground is the only cool or good thing bout them statues

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

zegermans posted:

like almost all of these were either erected in the Lost Cause/2nd Klan/Birth of a Nation revisionist period, or more recently

either way they were always about racism. I mean someone should probably articulate that at least because it utterly undercuts the idea that these statues have any validity w/r/t heritage.

the one in Tampa, which leftists successfully fought to have removed last month, was installed in 1911 with this speech from a state attorney

quote:

But the South detests and despises all, it matters not from whence they came, who, in any manner, encourages social equality with an ignorant and inferior race.

The south declares that a president who appoints a negro to an office within her borders engenders sectional bitterness," he said, "encourages lynchings, injures the negro, is an enemy of good government and a traitor to the Anglo-Saxon race.

it's always racism and usually explicit white supremacy. tear em down and poo poo on them

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Dreylad posted:

see, not every statue should come down! leaving that one will permanently own nathan bedford forrest

although it sort of looks like that horse wishes for someone to end its suffering

nothing is permanent, not even funny statues

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

You don't need to have a war to find good prices on great rides at Colonel savings used car battlefield. Just ask old goldy here!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the one in Tampa, which leftists successfully fought to have removed last month, was installed in 1911 with this speech from a state attorney

it's always racism and usually explicit white supremacy. tear em down and poo poo on them

maybe not always, but def everything that was post reconstruction was erected as a direct gently caress you we lost the war but won the battle

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the bitcoin of weed posted:

interesting to note that they were saying "you made us do this with your social justice warrioring!!!!!!!!!!!!" more than a hundred years ago

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Al! posted:

interesting to note that they were saying "you made us do this with your social justice warrioring!!!!!!!!!!!!" more than a hundred years ago

YOU MADE ME DO THIS, battle cry of domestic abusers and racist pieces of poo poo everywhere

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jazerus posted:

does he have a bullet hole in his knee

yes lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al! posted:

that's like, been the souths thing their entire existence.

when we did american history in school our books kept trying to take a both sides approach but it became abundantly clear that every loving time there was a controversy, the south was ready to secede and the north acquiesced - the Missouri compromise, the 1850 compromise, the 3/5ths compromise, etc.

They've always been morally repugnant and willing to abandon all their supposed ideals if it means being allowed to stay racist.

• Locked thread