Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh my god make the grinding stop

(on pace to finish next week at this rate though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Dance never breaks Sleep either.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

derra posted:

Dance never breaks Sleep either.

Yup, makes Atomos a piece of cake.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Aw darn it, my Fire job is Blue Mage. Figures I'd get that one immediately after my only chance to nab Death Claw for like a world and a half (I think anyway; there's supposed to be something outside of Exdeath's Castle that uses it, right?)

Though to be honestly Blue Mage feels kind of redundant since I already have Chemist, both are amazing defensive jobs but with occasionally limited offensive power (Chemist less so because of Succubus' Kiss, or something like Holy Breath if you're fighting undead). Wait, they DO have multi-target abilities, something Chemist sorely lacks, so there's that. Guess I'll keep this one instead of Job Fairing a reroll. So I'd better get on learning some abilities. To the Blue Magic list!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That said you've got it and a source of Confusion (E: assume you're using Fiesta Mod) just in time for early White Wind, and honestly anything you'd Death Claw you can just Death Potion instead. The biggest thing you'll miss it for is Byblos, but gently caress it, just 750 his rear end.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So !Control is no longer needed to have WW cast on you by Enchanted Fans in the Balance Mod? I can get behind that!

And yes, Byblos got a Flame Rod snapped off where the sun don't shine. That and a follow-up Succubus Kiss took care of that poo poo right quick. Having early Chemist is always grand; LiquidFlame got humiliated almost as hard as Byblos did (4 of my 6 Ethers went to slapping Resist Fire on all four fighters, then I just hacked him slowly to death while he kept healing me :v:) and the Karnak 500 was a breeze since I could kill anything in one shot with Succubus. Definitely gonna have fun with this run.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

So !Control is no longer needed to have WW cast on you by Enchanted Fans in the Balance Mod? I can get behind that!

Control is never needed, just access to Confuse. The spell list that monsters use when confused is identical to the spell list when they're controlled, but the aiming bits are just flat reversed. Since White Wind is default All Allies, it gets flipped to All Enemies when confused.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Kyrosiris posted:

Control is never needed, just access to Confuse. The spell list that monsters use when confused is identical to the spell list when they're controlled, but the aiming bits are just flat reversed. Since White Wind is default All Allies, it gets flipped to All Enemies when confused.

I have no doubt I've been told this before and have simply forgotten, possibly because I"m getting old (33 is old for an internet nerd). Stupid aging process. :negative:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bufuman posted:

So I thought starting off with Dancer was going to be a pain in the rear end. Then I discovered three important things:
1. Several early bosses are NOT immune to confusion
2. The coding of said bosses usually doesn't know how to respond to being confused and they'll usually just sit there
3. All of the Dance attacks, including Sword Dance, will NOT remove confusion.

This run had just about the easiest Siren/Magissa/Garuda fights I've ever done. And my Water job is Chemist, so it looks like I'm Triple Crowning all my runs this year.

This was exactly my experience when I rolled Dancer first. The early daggers are pretty powerful and you can just plink away at pretty much anything, but yeah obviously having four !Dancers means a healthy dose of Sword Dance to the face of whatever boss fight you want to chump.

Rolling Chemist first was pretty awesome too, giving one of them Healing Staff was more than enough defense until I got Turtle Shells.

My only difficult first jobs have been White Mage (safe but loving tedious) and Thief.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bregor posted:

This was exactly my experience when I rolled Dancer first. The early daggers are pretty powerful and you can just plink away at pretty much anything, but yeah obviously having four !Dancers means a healthy dose of Sword Dance to the face of whatever boss fight you want to chump.

Rolling Chemist first was pretty awesome too, giving one of them Healing Staff was more than enough defense until I got Turtle Shells.

My only difficult first jobs have been White Mage (safe but loving tedious) and Thief.

Bard is also entirely insufferable. You have virtually no offense until after the point you're supposed to get Bard, and you're made of tissue paper, to boot.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Yeah, I've had runs start with four of all those classes myself, agreed completely with both of you. The only class that comes even close to them is Summoner, which is every bit as bad as Bard early on, but then starts to hit easy mode with Magissa (since you can simply drop the Frost Rod from Carwen on her), after which you can buy your first Summons in Walse, and then you can start coasting once you nab Shiva from the nearby castle and/or some rods in Karnak.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Early job unlocking...bad???

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Quadzerks against Garula seems like it would be pretty unpleasant.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Zerks wear heavy armor, so they take no damage.

RitzBlues
May 30, 2014

Poque posted:

Early job unlocking...bad???

A few jobs that the Fiesta Mod/cheat codes would unlock are terribly weak before their intended crystals:

Bard's only boon is !Hide which can be used to exhaust the mp of early bosses like Siren, Magissa, and Liquid Flame, and they have a downright hellish time fighting Garula (or Adamantoise I've heard).
Chemist doesn't get turtle shells until after Garula, but at least they can buff and heal decently until then.
Summoner will have a rough time with Siren.

On the other hand, some classes steamroll World 1 from the get go:

Samurai is crazy strong throughout world 1. (:10bux: :10bux: :10bux:)
Dancer can confuse lock so many of the early bosses.

Freelancer is on the strong end of the early game spectrum, as they can use any equipment, and break rods for early bosses like Magissa, Liquid Flame, and Byblos.

The nice thing about PureChaos is that Gilgabot could very well give you a Freelancer from the start anyway.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
adamatoise is after when you normally get bad and yes, is uh. not very fun to quadbard :smithicide:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

fits posted:

adamatoise is after when you normally get bad and yes, is uh. not very fun to quadbard :smithicide:

gently caress ADAMANTOISE

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer
Late a butt run checking in! I started right on day 1, but I had a very busy summer this year.

I lucked out ridiculously on my party. BLU, BER, NIN, and CHM. I felt like taking a single berserker out of the pool was all I wanted to manage this year, so this was a normal #berserkerrisk run.

For Exdeath, QUAD SKULLS had to be the way to take him down.

And with a party this good, who wouldn't do the triple crown?

Finally, I pledged $100 if I completed, and double that if I failed. I think this is an unqualified success.

Donation proof:

Streaming was interesting this year--but I don't think I'm a very good streamer. I tried to talk about what I was doing and why and I'm not sure that it was usable much of the time. Since I teach online a lot I could hear my teacher voice creeping in. Next year I'll probably stick with theory and exposition descriptions, and maybe record boss fights with text commentary, like I did last year.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
poo poo, I should probably do Quad Death too, I have Chemist and Blue Mage as well. I assume Lv 2 Old is the way to go for that, but the problem is I have no idea how to calculate the timing for the delevling on Old. I might just stick to Mix boosts and Dark Spark.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bufuman posted:

poo poo, I should probably do Quad Death too, I have Chemist and Blue Mage as well. I assume Lv 2 Old is the way to go for that, but the problem is I have no idea how to calculate the timing for the delevling on Old. I might just stick to Mix boosts and Dark Spark.

Grand Cross piece: 83, so two Dark Sparks goes 83 / 2 = 41 / 2 = 20 = skull
Almagest piece: 67, so one dragon power and three dark sparks goes 67 + 20 = 87 / 2 = 43 / 2 = 21 / 2 = 10 = skull
Physical piece: 81, so one dark spark goes 81 / 2 = 40 = skull
Magical piece: 86, so three dark sparks goes 86 / 2 = 43 / 2 = 21 / 2 = 10 = skull

No L2 Old timing required. :) Granted, the quad skull is tricky as gently caress because the magic evasion can't be dealt with in any way other than throwing attempts at it.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I think i'm screwed. I'm on the 4 crystal guardians fight in forest of moore with 3 zerks and a summoner. I can get two crystals down and still survive but after that i'm doomed to failure as the only decent weapons I have on my zerkers are air knives which heal one of the crystals. I can equip something else on them but the damage loss is pretty severe.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Alright, so my Popular Fifth Job team until Krile joins is Dancer, Chemist, Blue Mage and... Chemist?

Well, guess I won't have to worry about accidentally using abilities I'm not supposed to after Krile signs up. :v:

On the downside, this run is going to be slow as balls until I get my fifth job. Chemist and Blue Mage are beastly but have a pretty weak forward game (especially through world 2 pre-Aeroga and Air Knives) without burning mixables or a lot of MP. And Dancer is Dancer.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I think i'm screwed. I'm on the 4 crystal guardians fight in forest of moore with 3 zerks and a summoner. I can get two crystals down and still survive but after that i'm doomed to failure as the only decent weapons I have on my zerkers are air knives which heal one of the crystals. I can equip something else on them but the damage loss is pretty severe.

Where on earth are your doom axes?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Kyrosiris posted:

Grand Cross piece: 83, so two Dark Sparks goes 83 / 2 = 41 / 2 = 20 = skull
Almagest piece: 67, so one dragon power and three dark sparks goes 67 + 20 = 87 / 2 = 43 / 2 = 21 / 2 = 10 = skull
Physical piece: 81, so one dark spark goes 81 / 2 = 40 = skull
Magical piece: 86, so three dark sparks goes 86 / 2 = 43 / 2 = 21 / 2 = 10 = skull

No L2 Old timing required. :) Granted, the quad skull is tricky as gently caress because the magic evasion can't be dealt with in any way other than throwing attempts at it.

Probably quicker to just get every part up to level 255 honestly.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

My friend, crystals are weak to the 💀

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

Probably quicker to just get every part up to level 255 honestly.

True, true.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

How much damage does Titan do to the three non-earth crystals? Maybe you can get complicated with Reflect Rings (you have those, right!? I guess if you don't have Death Sickles you probably didn't grind for Rings either though) and Dancing Dagger-Confusing Poison Eagles for Float, then spreading out damage by monitoring your progress very carefully and healing the crystals to just above the threshold.

edit: I guess what I mean is that if the Summoner is reflected, does Titan outpace their reflected spells (which will heal them)? And the Earth one you can float over and Chocobo to death or something.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

That was the most amazing Neo Exdeath fight I've had yet. Lenna at level 25 and the rest at 26. Monk, Berserker, and Dragoon are roughly worst in class for their crystals, but they all have their uses. Berserker's damage was basically OK using the underflow, and Monk was beefy enough to be the traditional elixirbot (i used over 10). It turns out that if you can time jumps to evade almagest (and also grand crosses), Ninja provides pretty much all the damage you need. Because of the jumps, I only had one relevant ability slot left on my dragoon, which I chose to add throw just to increase the damage vs tree exdeath final phase and to kill the almagest piece. The vacuum wave piece could kill pretty much any character at any time, so I was constantly recovering from being oneshot--a normal attack vs Lenna or Faris would only do 700 some, but anything else was instantly fatal. The first attempt got down to the last two pieces but Grand Cross killed and berserked two of my controllable characters, and vacuum wave killed ButzA before I had any chance to recover. The second attempts had a couple of close calls: I must have miscounted damage vs the tree by around 7-10k since I ate an unexpected Meteo to the face, and I also mistimed 2/3 jumps against the first almagest.

Other highlights include a tense fight against Apanda of all bosses, turns out that guy is trouble when you have mediocre mostly-physical offense (i ended up using fire scrolls for 1000-1200 damage a pop), healing limited mainly to hi potions, and one character who you're desperately trying to not let die in order to maintain their float status to cheese Catastrophe. Twintania took a couple tries since I didn't see any options other than blowing my lamp (not willing to do the long walk) or relying on Doom Axe/Assassin Dagger RNG. I farmed 4 doom axes in world 1(when Ninja scrolls are still great for farming) and never used more than 1. Since I never wanted to take the time to grind Dual Wield or Equip Axe ABP, I ended up not fishing for procs vs the crystals. At the time I had Samurai (fifthjob), and that was the only boss I stooped to wrecking with gil toss.

All in all, I'm happy with how the run turned out. In six fiestas I have had every class but Knight, Bard, and Geomancer (although Red Mage and Samurai only showed up briefly due to fifthjob). I'm absolutely unwilling to go for the triple crown with this squad. Shinryu would be fine with a couple dozen levels + farmed dragon lances, but my damage options vs Omega seem painfully feeble. I can't theorycraft anything more effective than trident jumps or thunder scrolls, and I'm pretty sure I would need both amazing encircle luck and an enormous pile of hit points to be able to have a fight with even a chance of surviving long enough to kill the robot in ~4k chunks at best.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RitzBlues posted:

On the other hand, some classes steamroll World 1 from the get go:

Beastmaster is a little fiddly to start, but there's a capture in the ship graveyard that can one-shot Siren, grab either a goblin or four Strong Fight things outside Carwen (Tattoo, I think?) for Magissa, and then you have a whip and can just casually stroll through Garula. Not sure if there's a sure-fire method for dealing with Liquid Flame, but after that, you have access to Bearaga.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

Beastmaster is a little fiddly to start, but there's a capture in the ship graveyard that can one-shot Siren, grab either a goblin or four Strong Fight things outside Carwen (Tattoo, I think?) for Magissa, and then you have a whip and can just casually stroll through Garula. Not sure if there's a sure-fire method for dealing with Liquid Flame, but after that, you have access to Bearaga.

Bandersnatches near Walse cast Blaster, so 50/50 chance of instant death.

Dwall
Jun 14, 2016
I was looking Sulla's site. He finally has a Mime playthrough typed up, but he mentions having a Lamia's Tiara in world two. I was sure the only way to get one before world three was a rare steal, something a pure Mime wouldn't be able to do. Is there something I missed?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dwall posted:

I was looking Sulla's site. He finally has a Mime playthrough typed up, but he mentions having a Lamia's Tiara in world two. I was sure the only way to get one before world three was a rare steal, something a pure Mime wouldn't be able to do. Is there something I missed?

Huh. You know what, I have no idea. I wish he used his twitter... for anything, really, because I'd poke him and ask him.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kyrosiris posted:

Huh. You know what, I have no idea. I wish he used his twitter... for anything, really, because I'd poke him and ask him.

His email - msoracoe at the hotmail provider - is at the bottom of his contact page.
http://www.sullla.com/backpage.html

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So, I am seeing a weird thing I've never seen with my Ninja (I'm on iOS): she has Sasuke's Katana (aka Hardened Dagger) in her right hand and the Thief Knife in her left. She hits twice with the Katana and once with the Knife when the Knife procs a Mug. I've tried a couple different weapons in the left (Twin Lance, Chicken Knife, Dancing Dagger) and no, it's just the Thief Knife, and only when Mug fires. It didn't happen when the Dancing Dagger fires a Dance.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dwall posted:

It's possible that he's misremembering. The Bone Mail already gives immunity to Confuse, so he might have had a different helmet equipped without noticing. Would be an easy mistake to make if you're playing the game in a language you don't speak fluently.

Dwall
Jun 14, 2016

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's possible that he's misremembering. The Bone Mail already gives immunity to Confuse, so he might have had a different helmet equipped without noticing. Would be an easy mistake to make if you're playing the game in a language you don't speak fluently.

That's probably the case. He did mention that the Mime run was a work in progress over the course of multiple years. It's kind of disappointing that FF5 has been so exhaustively mined that there's no chance of someone stumbling onto something new after twenty five years.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay. So I'm at the endgame with my Natural (shut up) party: Freelancer-Ninja-Chemist-Black Mage. It's about as good of a Natural party as you can get and nothing has gotten in my way at any point since I have both a Chemist and access to just about every status I could ever want. NED will be no problem since we can just sit down in front of the Tree and take a whole lot of drugs while he just occasionally spits at us. Shinryuu will also be easy since he'll be raging blindly at me. But Omega... Omega is still hard. He's a tiny bit easier in the Matrix versions because Surge Beam isn't an auto-hit, but he can't be Blessed Kissed (well, he can, but Berserk doesn't stop his counters). With only one person Mixing, it's really hard to get all the necessary defenses up in time. Here's my plan, please offer feedback:

1. Gain more levels--we're only level 29-30 at this point and I don't think Krile (the BM) has enough HP even doubled and Shelled to survive a Mustard Bomb. I don't think I need to gain a lot of levels, just up to maybe 35 to be nice and safe.
2. Zombie Bartz (Freelancer) and Lenna (Ninja) and give Lenna a Reflect Ring. They serve more of a purpose standing up than laying down. My only question here is this: can I use Dragon's Kiss on Zombies? That is, can I have a Heavy Zombie? I guess I'll have to try and see.
3. Faris is equipped with max Agility gear and Hermes Sandals, Krile is equipped with max Magic gear and Hermes Sandals.
4. Go into the fight with Faris and Krile Floating.
5. If Atomic Ray, die and try again.
6. Lay buffs in this order: Dragon Kiss Faris, Dragon Kiss Krile, Resist Fire Faris, Dragon Armor Faris, Resist Fire Krile, Dragon Armor Krile.
7. Krile will have to keep the Elixirs flowing while this is happening, of course, and I might have to stop and heal with both of them when I know a Surge Beam is coming (they are always, always coming).
8. Keep pumping Krile full of Dragon Powers and putting up Dragon Armor for the two of them when the Reflect runs out.
9. Last buffing step: Dragon Kiss the Zombies. I sure hope you can do this, otherwise this plan sucks.
10. When she's max level, make sure everyone is topped off, then bounce a Thundaga off Lenna and eat the counter.
11. Heal, wait for the right time in the Surge Beam tide, then Thundaga again.
12. Rinse and repeat.

If the Dragon Kisses work on the Zombies, they can be extra targets for Mustard Bombs and won't get Encircled. If not... well, they're probably still worth it as extra targets for Delta Attacks and Emissions during the buffing phase. They'll eventually get Encircled and I'll have to eat more Mustard Bombs, but I can handle that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
There's a solo Omega Chemist guide that Kyrosiris wrote floating around - should be in the OP or the Discord posts or something - and I didn't have much difficulty with it.

Basically I wouldn't want to leave anyone else alive because it makes countering unpredictable... but I don't know if that's not doable with only one source of !Mix (you can't put it on Freelancer, right, I honestly don't know how Natural works) so I could be talking out my rear end here :shobon:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Dwall posted:

That's probably the case. He did mention that the Mime run was a work in progress over the course of multiple years. It's kind of disappointing that FF5 has been so exhaustively mined that there's no chance of someone stumbling onto something new after twenty five years.

the status immunity thing is new!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

fits posted:

the status immunity thing is new!
And the Minotaur + Assassin's Dagger thing!

• Locked thread