Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Well, I'll be passing on this one, thanks for the heads-up. I still need to watch John or MrKravin play it but the protagonists of both SOMA and of Layers of Fear were so off-putting (especially in the latter) that I'm inclined to avoid.

Like designed after him or he's actually credited in the game?

I mean...Layers of Fear guy was supposed to be? What do you demand from a protagonist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So, you guys recommend observer for someone who really liked SOMA? I dont need it to be scary or anything, I mean more like a story driven game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I will never understand the objections to SOMA's protagonist. Considering everything he's put through he's remarkably composed and level-headed about everything, and even comments on the fact during some of the better character-building scenes. You're not supposed to agree with everything he does or says, either... that's where some of the best debates over the game come from.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
I really dig the look of Observer. Not really scary but so far a pretty interesting story. The thing that really sucks is that Rutger Hauer is a really, REALLY lovely voice actor.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Too Shy Guy posted:

I will never understand the objections to SOMA's protagonist. Considering everything he's put through he's remarkably composed and level-headed about everything, and even comments on the fact during some of the better character-building scenes. You're not supposed to agree with everything he does or says, either... that's where some of the best debates over the game come from.
Some of the set-up for the ending hinges on the protagonist not understanding what every other character in the story understands already, and apparently uncurious about large parts of the plot that he's in up to that point. I don't think SOMA is a bad game, but that part struck me as sloppy writing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, that bit's a little lame, but it gets better if you realize there is no 'coin flip.' Simon1's gonna be stuck in Simon1 regardless of the rest, and he's deluding himself to believe that he's the one who's gonna keep going. I agree with the uncurious bit, though. Something, something, his personality's been rotting for X years and it's an imperfect copy.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Too Shy Guy posted:

I liked him a lot, too. I thought he was pretty good at voicing what most players were feeling about his and everyone else's situation, and good at bringing up stuff you wouldn't immediately think was a problem. I didn't even think his voice was annoying.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Simon's programmed to delude himself because otherwise he'll go bananas like all the other copy people. It's not his fault that he's a dope :smith:

EDIT: dangit, too slow :v:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 16, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Danaru posted:

cop people.

man that robocop game got hosed up huh

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

gallilee posted:

I really dig the look of Observer. Not really scary but so far a pretty interesting story. The thing that really sucks is that Rutger Hauer is a really, REALLY lovely voice actor.

He was the voice of Ash in an Alien based audio drama not too long back. He was terrible in that.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Bogart posted:

Yeah, that bit's a little lame, but it gets better if you realize there is no 'coin flip.' Simon1's gonna be stuck in Simon1 regardless of the rest, and he's deluding himself to believe that he's the one who's gonna keep going. I agree with the uncurious bit, though. Something, something, his personality's been rotting for X years and it's an imperfect copy.

That's pretty much where I landed with him when I finished the game:

Too Shy Guy posted:

There's a pretty neat implication here if you unpack it all the way. If there is no coin toss, then the Simon you play as the entire game is the deep sea suit copy made at Omicron. Just like the opening segment in Canada, everything that happens in PATHOS-II up to his creation at Omicron must be memories copied from the previous copies. That means to him, he's never "lost" a coin toss. He "won" the coin toss to end up in a robot body instead of long dead, and he "won" the coin toss that put him into the deep sea suit. So from his perspective, what happens at Phi is absolutely unfair because there's no reason for him to believe he'll ever be the one left behind. He's 2 for 2 at that point, after all.

The uncurious part I just chalked up to being his coping mechanism for how horrifying every part of his situation was. Like how he immediately accepts the mission to launch the Ark, he's found a purpose and an answer to cling to and that's what drives him forward. In calmer parts he allows himself to question and doubt a little but it seems like if he does it too much he risks breaking down like he does at the very end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there is no toss, you're always the simon alone at the bottom of the sea (until the epilogue obviously). it should be easy for him to understand. i thought he realized it during the final upload and was just pumped some copy would make it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I must've cribbed that from you, Too Shy Guy. Not smart enough to come up with it on my own. :p

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah, I also think that Simon had somewhat grasped the concept, but never actually thought deep enough to understand that each body he left behind was still "him". Each copy he creates will always go on without this understanding, because they never stay behind. Even knowing this, it did surprise me at the end when the POV was of the one that stayed behind, just because in game you had always been the copy. So it's not beyond reason it would shock him, too.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Groovelord Neato posted:

there is no toss, you're always the simon alone at the bottom of the sea (until the epilogue obviously). it should be easy for him to understand. i thought he realized it during the final upload and was just pumped some copy would make it.

This idea didn't really click for me right up until the end, so I can see how Simon didn't realize what would happen until it happened.

I guess I was too busy being scared of/by the monsters to really think this over during the game.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I'm trying to avoid spoilers so I can't really read some of the previous posts, but as someone who didn't play Layers of Fear and is playing Observer for the first time, it is definitely NOT a walking simulator. It's an adventure game. There is lots of interactivity, crime scene investigation, finding secret panels, etc.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Bogart posted:

Well, I actually still view it as a coin flip just from my personal philosophy, but I see what you mean. Simon doesn't get that the entire crew going out of their way to kill themselves, sometimes in really spectacular ways in front of witnesses, was precisely so that they'd be sure to win (or not lose) that same coin flip. Even if he didn't care about the lives of the former crew, it strongly suggests that he'd want to do the same as a (soon to be) Ark resident. That' s what I mean by incurious, the protagonist would have to not be paying attention so extensively not to clue into that pretty vital fact, and it's more reasonable that a player would miss it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

The point is that the copy always thinks it "won". What this means is that you're actually playing from the perspective of the final playable Simon from start to finish, and you're just going through the memories "he" has of being a human and in the previous robot body.

This means that you also experience him copying himself and then not going anywhere.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I mean...Layers of Fear guy was supposed to be? What do you demand from a protagonist?

Oh, I understand that, and in that sense it's well done! It just left me feeling so grimy, yet another protagonist who is a possessive creep toward his wife, coveted her talent after his accident (if I'm remembering that right, was she the violinist or was he and took up art after?)/was upset at the outside positive attention she got to the point of obsession. I think it's more to with what I enjoy experiencing in a horror story and disassociating from what a particular protagonist does. In terms of these kind of horror experiences I really enjoyed Narcosis, but I related to that protagonist far more than LoF or SOMA. Then again were I Simon I'd be excited to wander the ocean floor in a tough robot body, but that kind of exploration is a dream of mine.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bogart posted:

Hello. Is >Observer_ good? Staring at this Layers of Fear discount.

(use lgbtqa in general. lots of people don't like being called queer!)

"We're here, we're LGBTQ+ get used to it!" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Also obviously QUILTBAG is the one true acronym.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I posted in the VR thread, but figured people here might be interested too - Alien: Isolation now has a mod that makes it work in VR again! But better this time. Rift only for the moment, but should be working on Vive as well soonish!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Oh, I understand that, and in that sense it's well done! It just left me feeling so grimy, yet another protagonist who is a possessive creep toward his wife, coveted her talent after his accident (if I'm remembering that right, was she the violinist or was he and took up art after?)/was upset at the outside positive attention she got to the point of obsession. I think it's more to with what I enjoy experiencing in a horror story and disassociating from what a particular protagonist does. In terms of these kind of horror experiences I really enjoyed Narcosis, but I related to that protagonist far more than LoF or SOMA. Then again were I Simon I'd be excited to wander the ocean floor in a tough robot body, but that kind of exploration is a dream of mine.

SOMA felt like the perfect storm to me, especially during the deep sea walk with barely any light to shine your way. It was claustrophobic, oppressive and somewhat poignant. You could feel the weight of the world bearing down on you. I don't want to get into RPS-style wankery, though.

EDIT: Beaten Observer. The game is packed top to bottom and there's multiple choices for everything, so it's definitely replayable.

SOMA still maintains the top spot for me, but Observer is way up there and definitely something you have to check out sooner or later.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 17, 2017

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Anyone playing Darkwood? I grabbed it but I seem really bad at it. It's got great atmosphere though, definitely given me some spooks at night.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

What this means is that you're actually playing from the perspective of the final playable Simon from start to finish, and you're just going through the memories "he" has of being a human and in the previous robot body.

that's what i said.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
When you think about arent you, right in this moment, just playing through the memories of future you? (Not any less than you are in game, at least.)

But no you arent playing through memories, you are always just maintaining control over the bifurcated future simon that progresses the game.
Until the end of course.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like some of the weaker moments of observer are where it's like layers of fear, to be honest. the segments of running through a bunch of glitchy stuff can be cool but if they're not relatively concise then i keep finding myself wishing the game would go back to the cool detective stuff in a setting i actually kind of like.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Johnny Joestar posted:

i feel like some of the weaker moments of observer are where it's like layers of fear, to be honest. the segments of running through a bunch of glitchy stuff can be cool but if they're not relatively concise then i keep finding myself wishing the game would go back to the cool detective stuff in a setting i actually kind of like.

Yeah, sometimes they dragged on. The use of loud noises, flashing lights and glitches really did make those segments feel unsettling, like invading ones mind should be. But these methods are also the kind that get really exhausting when done over a long periods of time. The mindjack segments could honestly have been some minutes shorter.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Meallan posted:

Yeah, sometimes they dragged on. The use of loud noises, flashing lights and glitches really did make those segments feel unsettling, like invading ones mind should be. But these methods are also the kind that get really exhausting when done over a long periods of time. The mindjack segments could honestly have been some minutes shorter.

The bigger problem was that there simply wasn't that much to do, and then about 3/4 of it was backstory that was overly stretched out. Or rather, you already knew what the deal was with these people before you entered their minds, so spending the next 20 minutes retracing these steps wasn't the best idea.

By the way, guess what's unlocking in a few hours. It'll be 30 dollars with a 15% launch discount.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 22, 2017

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Blattdorf posted:

The bigger problem was that there simply wasn't that much to do, and then about 3/4 of it was backstory that was overly stretched out. Or rather, you already knew what the deal was with these people before you entered their minds, so spending the next 20 minutes retracing these steps wasn't the best idea.

By the way, guess what's unlocking in a few hours. It'll be 30 dollars with a 15% launch discount.

I also thought that too. The overall writting in the game is not bad, but they have this problem of wanting to make everything real obvious. I remember at one time you were talking with one of the neighbours about Helena (I think that was her name) and the way he was talking, you could tell he had a problem with her, and that the problem was probably rooted in some crush he had. They hinted at it, and then 10 seconds later the dude goes full on rambling about how she will one day come crawling to him and it will be too late. There's various examples of that throughout the game, and the mindjack parts sometimes could do with some symbolism that isn't repeated 3 to 4 times in increasingly more obvious manners.

vermicious
Feb 22, 2010

Who is leaving messages on your answering machine?

Switched.on posted:

Anyone playing Darkwood? I grabbed it but I seem really bad at it. It's got great atmosphere though, definitely given me some spooks at night.

I've clocked about 2 hours or so in this and I also seem really bad at it, though I am getting more used to combat.

That hole in the wall of the home base stresses me out to no end! I can't wedge that wardrobe well enough, so I've just littered that area with bear traps.

Great atmosphere though - reminds me of playing old survival horror games when I was a kid and not wanting to venture far from the safe areas - I haven't gone past the first "area".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm working on an interactive haunted trail kind of experience for next year's haunt season, based on cheesy 80s slasher movies. Other than the Friday the 13th game, what horror games would be good for inspiring myself to get the right kind of atmosphere? Not only stuff based on 80s slashers, but also things set in a rural setting like the woods and cabins.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Kentucky Route Zero

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Alan Wake

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's actually one of my favorite games!

Bogart posted:

Kentucky Route Zero

Yeah, I was looking at this one. Just never got around to pulling the trigger on it. I'm a big fan of Life is Strange and Oxenfree-style adventure games too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Until Dawn

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lakeview Cabin Collection is pretty much the spirit animal of Cheesy 80's Slasher Flicks.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Indie bundle has alien isolation, the last Freddy, layers of fear and a bunch of stuff

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Got it when it was new and beat it in two sittings. I occasionally get the urge to play it again, but I wish it was on PC so I didn't have to take over the living room for how long it is.

MockingQuantum posted:

Lakeview Cabin Collection is pretty much the spirit animal of Cheesy 80's Slasher Flicks.

Yeah, I'm looking at getting the Humble Bundle that has it in it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Bendy and the Ink Machine really has me thinking about a dumb idea of a family of failed artists and creative types having all of their collective imaginations and dreams just come to life in an attempt to live at any cost. Like some of these people have long since been dead for centuries, but you just get swept into this freakish technicolor explosion of unknown aspirations or squandered talent taking shape all around you, infecting "real" things to have some sort of form and occasionally speaking or attacking you to form some kind of anchor. Maybe the character themselves has a one of their own dumb little ideas show up too, I don't know.

Just something to utilize the failure of creating something sticking with you.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Murdered by your ocs, yeah