Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mike Patton isn't the guy named Mike from Linkin Park. That's Mike Shinoda. Different Mikes altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The culinary definition is much more important to non-biologists, anyway. Who cares if a tomato is technically a berry? What does it matter that a peanut is really a legume?

Does it have scales, fins and gills? Does it swim in the sea? Sounds like a fish to me, partner.

Not all fish have scales and not all "fish" the way many people use it in a culinary sense even have gills or even swim.

Like how jellyfish and starfish aren't fish and those are archaic names for them or how people insist on calling apes monkeys. It doesn't matter 99%+ of the time but it is still wrong and it's really just as easy to be correct.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also seahorses? Not actually horses

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I derided some ignoramus the other day for calling my automobile a car.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Also seahorses? Not actually horses

Get the gently caress out of here. No way.

e: holy poo poo

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Calling a golf car a "golf cart" is another popular one. Or maybe it should be golf mobile.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Phyzzle posted:

Calling a golf car a "golf cart" is another popular one. Or maybe it should be golf mobile.
?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Phyzzle posted:

I've literally never heard it called a "golf car" in my life. It's a golf cart. :psyduck:

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Golf Car

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phyzzle posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that your vehicle should only be referred to as a "whatever mobile" if your name is "Whateverman." "Quickly, Golfman! To the Golf Mobile!"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Sunswipe posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that your vehicle should only be referred to as a "whatever mobile" if your name is "Whateverman." "Quickly, Golfman! To the Golf Mobile!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Bloop posted:

it is still wrong

Shut the gently caress off, prescriptivist piece of garbage.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Speaking of culinary stuff, I learned that a) love lamb and b) dislike crab.

I'm reasonably sure I've had both before, but damned if I can remember it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Shut the gently caress off, prescriptivist piece of garbage.

nice meltdown, loser.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Hyperlynx posted:

Mike Patton isn't the guy named Mike from Linkin Park. That's Mike Shinoda. Different Mikes altogether.

I don't care if this thread is a safe space you're an idiot

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Like how jellyfish and starfish aren't fish and those are archaic names for them or how people insist on calling apes monkeys. It doesn't matter 99%+ of the time but it is still wrong and it's really just as easy to be correct.

Apes are totally monkeys though. New world monkeys split from old world monkeys before apes split off from old world monkeys.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ArtIsResistance posted:

Look I mean, you're in a sub moderated by a person that mixes up Currie Graham with Kevin Spacey.

Michael McMillian with Topher Grace.

Stephen McHattie with Christopher Walken.

We're all idiots here.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Look I mean, you're in a sub moderated by a person that mixes up Currie Graham with Kevin Spacey.

We're all idiots here.

I... don't know who half those people are

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

neither did I. :shepface:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

Speaking of culinary stuff, I learned that a) love lamb and b) dislike crab.

I'm reasonably sure I've had both before, but damned if I can remember it.

It's all right, they're basically the same animal.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ArtIsResistance posted:

It's true, your honor. This man has no dick.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dilb posted:

Apes are totally monkeys though. New world monkeys split from old world monkeys before apes split off from old world monkeys.

loving splitters...

Stuff like this is the reason we can't form a united front.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait, so you're saying we can eat chicken for lent right?

No that's capybaras.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

We're all idiots here.

I don't remember the details but there was that guy who thought Coldplay was a heavy metal band or something

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I don't remember the details but there was that guy who thought Coldplay was a heavy metal band or something

That was only a couple of pages ago and he thought they were Pantera

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
A locust is not a close relative of a grasshopper but is a grasshopper going super saiyan under specific conditions (overcrowding - getting bumped too many times releases serotonin and they transform physically into a locust before plaguing, they can then change back into a regular grasshopper when things die down).

I'm sure I knew this before but it fell out of my head at some point.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

spleen merchant posted:

A locust is not a close relative of a grasshopper but is a grasshopper going super saiyan under specific conditions (overcrowding - getting bumped too many times releases serotonin and they transform physically into a locust before plaguing, they can then change back into a regular grasshopper when things die down).

wait, what the gently caress

there's no way I have even the barest baseline insect knowledge such that looking it up for myself would clear it up or confirm it, so I repeat: what the gently caress

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Pastry of the Year posted:

there's no way I have even the barest baseline insect knowledge such that looking it up for myself would clear it up or confirm it, so I repeat: what the gently caress

:same:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I just looked it up and it's true

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just found there are people that can't understand the dense entomologist jargon of the wikipedia article "locust"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just found there are people that can't understand the dense entomologist jargon of the wikipedia article "locust"

ah gently caress, I was on wookieepedia

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ah gently caress, I was on wookieepedia

Well that would explain the confusion, that article doesn't explain his origin at all
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Locust

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spleen merchant posted:

So locusts are the Incredible Hulk of the insect world. That's pretty cool.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

That was only a couple of pages ago and he thought they were Pantera

I thought they were a Pantera side-project, that is a little more reasonable imho.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

We're all idiots here.

Mine is Bill Pullman and Jeff Daniels.
Every goddamned time.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

I thought they were a Pantera side-project, that is a little more reasonable imho.

it's not

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

fullroundaction posted:

I grew up in the Philly burbs and there's no way anyone from outside the area could get that one on their own.

Conshohocken is another one that comes to mind. Con-cha-hawk-in

When I moved there, everyone quickly told me "It's also called Conshy." Why would you not want to say the whole word? It's great fun!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

A Sudden Rush of Blood to the Head is a metal-sounding album name and is kinda sorta like A Vulgar Display of Power.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bongwizzard posted:

A Sudden Rush of Blood to the Head is a metal-sounding album name.

It sounds like a pink floyd album actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

purple death ray posted:

It sounds like a pink floyd album actually

Yeah, but it kind of sounds like post-Waters Pink Floyd, and while I'm appreciating that era more now that I'm over 40, I much preferred the angst-y prog-ness of earlier Floyd when I was younger and angst-ier.

Memento has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Aug 15, 2018