Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Good thing this is all loving fiction. Let yourselves have fun. It's only tits and dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

WampaLord posted:

I can already tell what will be the Goony Derail Point for this episode.

How loving fast are ravens?

Westerosi or Essosian?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
They really did miss a cool moment to have Bran see that poo poo and long range warg into the dragon and make it go to them

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Seph posted:

Westerosi or Essos?

Well, I don't know-AAAAARRRRGGGHHH

*flies off bridge like Balon*

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Are the ravens unladen???

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

They can average 50mph over long distances so a couple days from the wall to dragonstone (as the crow flies :v:) feels about right.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Soul Glo posted:

They really did miss a cool moment to have Bran see that poo poo and long range warg into the dragon and make it go to them

Alternatively have Drogons ears pop up like "There's a Targarian in trouble" and have an adorable Lassie like scene where he tries to convince Dany that Jon fell down a well.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I must have missed a line somewhere. Why were all the zombos just standing there at first until Clegane chucked t he rock?

Was it the NK just being a dick as usual?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Waiting for the lake to freeze over again, I think.

Which begs the question: what was stopping the undead from walking along the lake floor during the night? They don't feel cold or need to breathe.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Seph posted:

I didn't get the impression that it was a pre-planned trap by the white walkers. I thought they were staying far away from the action because they know they are vulnerable now and want to stay safe. Similar to commanders who often stay behind their troops in battle.

Yes they had the spear but maybe it's just a generic magic spear and not something specific to dragons?

It's definitely possible it was a trap but I don't buy it 100% without more evidence.

Because the NK, his lieutenants and entire army sat there watching them blankly for anywhere from a night to 2 days and did nothing.

He could've refrozen the lake himself, he has utter control over ice.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

grack posted:

I still don't think Clarke and Harrington have a lot of chemistry but at least it was better.

I think their inevitable sex scene would be better if it's Davos dressed up as Jon and Tyrion as Kelly C.

Yestermoment posted:

I must have missed a line somewhere. Why were all the zombos just standing there at first until Clegane chucked t he rock?

Was it the NK just being a dick as usual?

The dude wanted a Dragon?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

Alternatively have Drogons ears pop up like "There's a Targarian in trouble" and have an adorable Lassie like scene where he tries to convince Dany that Jon fell down a well.

Oh poo poo he DID fall down a well didn't he? Now all we need is a tell all documentary detailing the cast's frustration with the dragon trying to hump everything.

Really liked that something finally happened this episode.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The real answer is that the ravens fly at the speed of plot, just like the dragons/boats/armies/whatever.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Skinty McEdger posted:

I think Jon should have assumed a tai chi stance and closed his eyes like Dany did in the fighting pits of Mereen to summon Drogon.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

re: davos and tyrion cosplaying

May as well. Those two have been doing all the legwork to make us believe Jon and Dany like eachother, rather than having scenes of Jon and Dany establishing it themselves.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Why didn't Jon go to Dany and tell her:"yo, let's talk here. You have dragons and are hot. I'm going to kneel before you and give you the Lord's Kiss if you agree to fight the White Walkers. Now, I understand you don't believe me how great this threat is, but how about this - you take your dragon and go on an aerial recon tour of the area north of the wall and see it for yourself. Maybe you can even take me with you, I know a certain cave there that's really romantic."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm watching the last 10 minutes for the first time now and god is the Arya + Sansa scene ridiculously bad.

Who the gently caress cares about your teen angst Arya, wasn't the whole moto about how the group survives while the lone wolf dies??? wasn't this like your entire character arc???

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Of course it was a trap, they would have just murder deathed the lot of them via bear or when they were taking the captive if it hadn't been. Minions were told who to kill and who to let live, which is why they took out the Mage with a Rez spec first. The big question is how did they know she would be coming to save Jon, and the exact point to attack them so Dany would be coming in to rescue them all from a fight, rather than a deeply suspicious encirclement?

Efficient scouts could account for the latter, but knowing Jon was in dragonstone and the rest of it is something not entirely explained by Bran.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My big question is this: since it was clearly a trap and NK has some kind of foresight, why did he still let everyone live? Why did he kill airborne Viserion rather than grounded Drogon? If he needs a dragon to get past the wall he can get one and kill his main enemy all at once.

Unless he needs Jon or Dany for something else in the future? Was he scared that not letting them get away could lead to one of the remaining two dragons killing him?

hosed if I know. hosed if it will ever be explained.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If Qyburn is a white walker collaborator who's been feeking the Night's King information it kinda sorta makes sense and explains the sequence of events. Kind of.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like he could have killed all the humans and gotten maybe even more than one dragon out of it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Of course it was a trap, they would have just murder deathed the lot of them via bear or when they were taking the captive if it hadn't been. Minions were told who to kill and who to let live, which is why they took out the Mage with a Rez spec first. The big question is how did they know she would be coming to save Jon, and the exact point to attack them so Dany would be coming in to rescue them all from a fight, rather than a deeply suspicious encirclement?

Efficient scouts could account for the latter, but knowing Jon was in dragonstone and the rest of it is something not entirely explained by Bran.

Have you learned nothing from Arya Durden? Everything on this dumb show is exactly as it appears, no matter how dumb and there is nothing to read between the lines

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I really can't loving believe Arya just has a loving bag of faces. :cripes:

It's just the least creative way to portray her ability. Ja'qen didn't need a loving actual face to do his thing!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

WampaLord posted:

I really can't loving believe Arya just has a loving bag of faces. :cripes:

Wait, this isn't normal?

poo poo...

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

esperterra posted:

re: davos and tyrion cosplaying

May as well. Those two have been doing all the legwork to make us believe Jon and Dany like eachother, rather than having scenes of Jon and Dany establishing it themselves.

It's a shame that they didn't adjust the story when the two main characters turned out to be the shittiest actors. Imagine if Jon had died at the battle of the bastards and Dany at the siege of Mereen and the focus had shifted to Davos/Tyrion. Then following them trying to keep poo poo together and defeat the white walkers while at the same time discovering feelings for each other. Probably would have had better chemistry than Jon/Dany.

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
If he could kill a dragon with a badly thrown wobbly spear, he probably would have shot killed everyone else there with snowballs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Arrows and spears do, in fact, wobble in flight.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I just realized that the last time the Others went to war, it was against the First Men, a culture with bronze weapons. They have never encountered Valyrian steel before

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

grack posted:

Arrows and spears do, in fact, wobble in flight.

Do you not get that maybe you want to prioritize visual impact and not be "tactireal" in the tits and dragons show?

It'd have looked cooler if it flew straight, cause it's loving magic anyway.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Do you not get that maybe you want to prioritize visual impact and not be "tactireal" in the tits and dragons show?

It'd have looked cooler if it flew straight, cause it's loving magic anyway.

90% of the posts in this thread are complaining about poo poo not being realistic and now you're complaining about something in the show actually being realistic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

esperterra posted:

My big question is this: since it was clearly a trap and NK has some kind of foresight, why did he still let everyone live? Why did he kill airborne Viserion rather than grounded Drogon? If he needs a dragon to get past the wall he can get one and kill his main enemy all at once.

Unless he needs Jon or Dany for something else in the future? Was he scared that not letting them get away could lead to one of the remaining two dragons killing him?

hosed if I know. hosed if it will ever be explained.

He can't kill Jon because he loves his brother. Night King is Bran. It is known.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I just realized that the last time the Others went to war, it was against the First Men, a culture with bronze weapons. They have never encountered Valyrian steel before

Ive misread your post and now I cannot stop thinking about Otters leading a zombie army against humanity

(I had totally forgotten they call the WW "others" in the books)

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
"Night King set a trap" = "Shannon got stabbed"

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Why would Cersei have trouble believing zombies exist considering that her bodyguard is one

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LinYutang posted:

Why would Cersei have trouble believing zombies exist considering that her bodyguard is one

Have they come right out and said he's a zombie? Maybe he's just a dude packed to the eyes with chems to keep him from being dead.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

The last hero wielded a dragonsteel sword according to some scroll Sam reads at the castle black library.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Do dany and jon gently caress tho

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

grack posted:

90% of the posts in this thread are complaining about poo poo not being realistic and now you're complaining about something in the show actually being realistic.

Those people are dumb. It's a loving fantasy show with dragons.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Parkingtigers posted:

Arya sucked, but it's just becoming more obvious what a weak actress Maisie Williams is. Nice kid, but ehhh she's not great. Sophie Williams has grown into a goddamn star though, they lucked out with her. She carried those scenes.
The confrontation between Arya and Sansa features some of the most ham-fisted, contrived conflict in the history of this show, which is impressive. I think it would be hard for many actors to make Arya's lines come across as genuine given how absurd they are in the context of what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chadzok posted:

jesus christ the teleporting bullshit is just dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. loving dumb, jesus christ. I can't even enjoy the good bits of the show because it's just so poo poo.

This show now is literally like watching a list of bullet points that GRRM gave them. I would much rather be experiencing this in book format. Yes I know that will never happen.

:agreed:

Captain Splendid posted:

The whole first half was the fellowship exchanging banter in such a way that they wanted you to think they were going to die. That was pretty obvious.

And creepy Arya and the forced conflict was annoying.

But apart from that, noice.

Arya sucks and she is a bad actor

• Locked thread