Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Keep Austin Inconvenient.

Make Austin Gentrification Accelerated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Imagine if Austin had like 300k people :sigh:

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

zoux posted:

Imagine if Austin had like 300k people :sigh:

The 70s aren't coming back, dad.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/895469282343100416

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjaSdlFkIm0

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This guy was loving hilarious. He lied about having an engineering degree, even though he legitimately had an aeronautics degree and a masters in IT.

He won on a wave of anti-incumbancy after a series of water boil notices, and then like 2 days into his term the city faced the worst water crisis yet. He realized he couldn't solve the problem by screaming and being a dick to everyone and resigned soon after.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah he's running for Senate now, so we can all get the joy of voting for him.

http://www.caller.com/story/news/local/2017/08/09/exclusive-former-mayor-dan-mcqueen-announces-u-s-senate-bid/554184001/

He wants to reduce the number of representatives.

quote:

In a Facebook message, McQueen elaborated that his proposed reduction in Congress would be in the House of Representatives. He would like to see "about one rep per million" citizens.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
Considering that seven states have a population of less than 1 million, I wonder how he thinks that would work

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BlueberryCanary posted:

Considering that seven states have a population of less than 1 million, I wonder how he thinks that would work

Wyoming and Alaska get to share a single representative, as it should be.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

BlueberryCanary posted:

Even if they each got one rep, it'd still put us closer to actually propionate representation in the house, so I suspect he hasn't actually done the math on what that would look like as far as shifting the balance of power.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Senate worked like 100 hours and a weekend to pass all this poo poo and the House has just been like nah. They aren't even having a hearing on the bathroom bill and Stickland threw a wall eyed fit from the back mic yesterday about Hunter not scheduling the abortion bills for debate. Right now the probables look like voter mail fraud, the sunset bills and ???? Even SB 1, which had a chance when it had a special "no amendments" rule, is now going to get amended to hell and go down in flames.

https://twitter.com/brandigrissom/status/895675174279925760

There were some tweets last week from the state press corps about how senators were pissed off that they worked so hard so Dan Patrick could put that they passed 18/20 items in a week into a press release. Also, by frontloading the session like that, Dan has ceded the news cycle to be pretty much about how the House isn't taking up the bathroom bill.

In all I think Patrick way overplayed his hand here. The business community came out twice as hard against the bathroom bill as they did during the regular, with major Texas-based Fortune 500 companies coming out strong in opposition. And the base has largely shrugged at the issue, I think most people, even most Republicans, don't actually buy this as an issue.

Incidentally the supporters of the bathroom bill put out their own list of businesses who support the bill and well, enjoy:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/895329943197851648

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Twerk from Home posted:

Wyoming and Alaska get to share a single representative, as it should be.

Or their senators can just pull double duty and represent in both houses.

Also on that list of supporters, I wonder how Toyota and Kia feel that their brand name was used in relation to this bill.

Zil fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 10, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So it sounds like the vilest poo poo is going to stay on the backburner/die in the special session then?

Not that it necessarily matters if there's nobody loving running opposite him, but isn't that quite a bit of egg on Abbot/Patrick's face? Call a special session and then get told to gently caress off wrt your signature issue?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

So it sounds like the vilest poo poo is going to stay on the backburner/die in the special session then?

Not that it necessarily matters if there's nobody loving running opposite him, but isn't that quite a bit of egg on Abbot/Patrick's face?

It's egg on their face for normal people (I think the average Texan's opinion of special sessions is "why are you spending more money on poo poo you couldn't get done) but the plan here is to try to make Joe Strauss look like a liberal Democrat to GOP primary voters. This entire special was caused on purpose by Dan Patrick and the Freedom Caucus at the behest of mega-donors Tim Dunn and Steve Hotze, whose number one goal is to get rid of Strauss as he's the last thing standing between us and a total Christian dominionist state government.

Strauss is protecting his members by not forcing votes on bad abortion, anti-city, property tax and bathroom bills, because his moderate members know the bills are bad government but don't want to take votes that risk getting them primaried by Empower Texas.

I'll point out that specials are intended to be for emergency issues or issues that would've passed but for some parliamentary fuckery by as few as a single member of the Legislature, but Perry started calling them both to boost his national profile and conservative bona fides, then they found out they could get around the Senate's 2/3s rule that was keeping a bunch of major national GOP priorities from passing. They then got rid of that rule in the Senate two sessions ago and everyone figured that was the end of multiple special sessions.

They are not intended for poo poo that one chamber has repeatedly rejected with multiple record votes, like say vouchers or this property tax scheme.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 10, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not that it necessarily matters if there's nobody loving running opposite him, but isn't that quite a bit of egg on Abbot/Patrick's face!

Republicans control all three branches of the federal government right now, but it's still the Democrats' fault they couldn't get healthcare reform passed. There's no reason to think it'll any different at this level.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

Republicans control all three branches of the federal government right now, but it's still the Democrats' fault they couldn't get healthcare reform passed. There's no reason to think it'll any different at this level.

Currently the President of the United States is blaming the Senate Majority Leader of his own party for the failure. The Democrats aren't even in the conversation of "whose fault is this".

What's different between Texas and the feds is that our nutjobs here are extremely competent at pulling the levers of state government and know how to pass their agenda. If Dan Patrick was president (and one day he will be), the ACA would be dead.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
My point was that the buck's going to get passed to someone else. Realistically, who it gets passed to will depend on the audience, but he's not just going to accept the loss and say "well, that didn't turn out how I'd hoped, guess we need to try something different."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, like I said, Joe Strauss is who they're gonna try to blame.

And it is in fact "his fault" that none of this poo poo got passed, and I thank him for it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Is there any reason to expect the far-right's attack on Strauss to fail, or the state legislature to get anything but worse in 2018?

I've possibly been reading D&D too much but my only reaction to 'good news' from Austin is to wonder how long it will take the GOP to get around it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
A hero arises

https://twitter.com/thorharris666/status/895767982089154564

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 11, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I need "Cause gently caress This 2018" as a campaign slogan bumper sticker like yesterday. Battleground Texas start funding and supporting this man!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KarinaKling/status/897218125069987841

Thank god.

Despite Trump's dithering, Texas politicians of all parties have been pretty unequivocal about Charlottesville. Charles Schwertner, who reps A&M, released one of the strongest statements against the rally that I've seen out of a GOP guy, and he's suuuuuper conservative.

https://twitter.com/AshleyG_KVUE/status/897207300972326915

https://twitter.com/MWatkinsTrib/status/897219343938965504
pffff

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 14, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Are we still at 4/20 (woo) for Abbot's special session?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Texas did A Good Thing and it's making me feel odd.

Also:

zoux posted:

Eva deLuna is an extremely pro follow where it comes to demystifying state finance issues, here's a really good thread on why proposed spending caps are so bad.

I want to thank zoux for this recommendation and repeat it. I follow a couple reporters and the Trib and Observer but Eva knows her poo poo and stays on top of it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/897254657470476288

Matt Rinaldi won a swing district iirc but he acts like his only constituent is Michael Quinn Sullivan.

It reminds me of Don Zimmerman.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah if Rinaldi doesn't lose after calling ICE on the whole House gallery we're never gonna have a blue state.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does he have an opponent yet?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't think so, but Ocker may challenge him again, she only lost last time by 1%.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/897196308682899456

These people are unbelievable.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zoux can you explain to me why the House just adjourned sine die?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

House just adjourned sine die after swallowing the bitter pill of the Senate's school finance proposal. The last thing on the Senate's agenda, which I doubt they'll take, is the House version of property taxes (6% rollback rate). So assuming that's dead what passed was:

Sunset
Annexation approval
Abortion reporting requirements for minors and complications (two different bills)
Ban on insurance covering elective abortions
Restrictions on municipal tree ordinances
DNR reform
Mail-in ballot fraud
Public ed commission, ASATR help, TRS help (one bill, three items)

But not the bathroom bill ahaha.

Badger of Basra posted:

Zoux can you explain to me why the House just adjourned sine die?

Nothing else to do. They only thing possible is a conference committee on SB 1 but due to layout rules etc. there wasn't enough time to take it up before midnight Wednesday. Nothing else was eligible. The Senate doesn't have anything on its agenda today, just concurrences.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Bad time to publish a Pepe children's book.

https://twitter.com/phwolfeDRC/status/897178170063032320

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh also

https://twitter.com/KarinaKling/status/897621155242283009

Paxton already said he's appealing to SCOTUS so it's not a done deal yet.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/897623854498971648

Joe Straus is real, and strong, and he's my friend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joe Strauss is going to post in this thread in the next few days..

The House GOP is caucusing tomorrow to try and make it so that they, and not the Democrats, elect the speaker.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

The House GOP is caucusing tomorrow to try and make it so that they, and not the Democrats, elect the speaker.

Don't they have to find someone they can all vote for if that's going to happen?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Don't they have to find someone they can all vote for if that's going to happen?

Matt Schaefer :twisted:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

They went through this exact thing a couple of sessions back, and Strauss still won. A majority of the GOP members still support him, as he's been their best defense against having to make tough votes that would actively hurt them in future elections.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sure it's more Freedom Caucus whining, most House republicans were probably relieved not to have to vote on the bathroom bill.

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/897884712445857798

Briscoe Cain actually standing up in this photo

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 16, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While Abbott and Patrick throw fits, Strauss seems to be in pretty good shape.

quote:

Over 80 of the chamber's 95 Republican members reportedly showed up to Wednesday's meeting, which lasted roughly an hour and a half and ended with a standing ovation for Straus. Freedom Caucus members came out of the meeting saying they were looking forward to continuing a discussion about speaker nomination rules at the House Republican Caucus' September retreat.
Straus briefly spoke with reporters as he left the meeting, making a short walk from the room where the caucus met to a bank of elevators.

"We had a very good conversation, and I enjoyed it," Straus said. "I think all of us did. Very constructive, very positive, very unifying in a lot of ways."

What's funny is that there's nothing they can do about him. They can't rely on insane Dallas and Houston suburban voters to enforce their will on him in the primary, they have to convince voters in San Antonio that they'd be better served by electing a freshman backbench ideologue rather than the current sitting Speaker of the House (which you'd have to be an idiot to do). That hasn't stopped Hotze from running robo-calls and radio ads in his district, but there's really nothing they can do to oust him. And honestly Patrick came across as a raving loon at that presser last night. I'm not a Texas nationalist but I do think that carpetbagging Maryland politicians should be barred from invoking the Alamo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

While Abbott and Patrick throw fits, Strauss seems to be in pretty good shape.

What's funny is that there's nothing they can do about him. They can't rely on insane Dallas and Houston suburban voters to enforce their will on him in the primary, they have to convince voters in San Antonio that they'd be better served by electing a freshman backbench ideologue rather than the current sitting Speaker of the House (which you'd have to be an idiot to do). That hasn't stopped Hotze from running robo-calls and radio ads in his district, but there's really nothing they can do to oust him. And honestly Patrick came across as a raving loon at that presser last night. I'm not a Texas nationalist but I do think that carpetbagging Maryland politicians should be barred from invoking the Alamo.

Is their plan to primary Straus or to primary enough of his supporters that he loses the next speaker race?