Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I support lowtax via his horribly confusing patreon page now, and i bought the no ads upgrade a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

see no ads, hear no ads, speak no ads

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

blocking ads is good and right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow posted:

but seriously guys, give your self all a pat on the back for trying to stand up against the evil ad man like seriously you guys are the greatest

I will. thank you!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

basically imo ads break down one of two ways

1) the amount of money that the company makes off me is so marginal (like 0.005 cents per page load or w/e) that i'm effectively meaningless to them
2) the amount of money that the company makes off me is notable (a few dollars here and there) and therefore i should have a say in how i'm going to dispense my valuable attention

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i buy ads to sell my shows, op. theyre good shows and you might like them. if ppl dont buy tickets, i cant put on shows. rip.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pryor on Fire posted:

Remember 10 years ago when ad blocking was considered a wild and dangerous game, hell even downloading something that wasn't IE was considered out there. I remember getting banned from some forum, I think it was arstechnica maybe? for linking to an adblocker in 2005. Those were the days, every ad was in flash and had sound and pegged your bandwidth for 3 seconds.

blocking ads was against ars' user agreement is why you got owned.

most people would always say "i have ars whitelisted of course" every time they discussed adblock as a cya

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pagancow posted:

speaking of people who pay for things, squarespace is a place where you can build your own website, hate forums like these? why dont you build your own with sqaurespace, click the link in the description

pagancow posted:

[continues podcast that has nothing to do with web hosting]

ftfy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

enter code COMEDY on sherries berries dot com for fifteen percent off

*HOWDIDTHISGETMADE*

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

pagancow posted:

lol google to not be beat by ad blocking racketeering has become the largest ad blocking service in the world now

https://nypost.com/2017/08/10/google-warns-700-publishers-digital-ads-will-be-blocked-by-chrome-update/

pagancow posted:

i just want to raise my glass of apple juice to all the ad block gangsters who made this possible, now the world is truely a better place

pagancow posted:

Google can now block ssl certs, and content at will lol this will be grand and play out in a totally ethical way across the world.

i don't use chrome, op, and neither should you

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Suspicious posted:

i don't use chrome, op, and neither should you

imagine not using the best browser thats also platform agnostic and has the best plugins due to some aids infected ideology lol. im talking about Chrome btw, if it wasnt obVious enough, Bitch

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Smythe posted:

imagine not using the best browser thats also platform agnostic and has the best plugins due to some aids infected ideology lol. im talking about Chrome btw, if it wasnt obVious enough, Bitch

"google is tracking me theyre so bad!!!"

*logs onto facebook using firefox*

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

firefox not to be let out of this money making scheme

https://www.geek.com/apps/mozilla-just-built-an-ad-blocker-into-firefox-1631245/

hahhahaha it's happening, they are seeing it as a source of revenue, and now every browser will be a mafia leader

"would be really bad if people couldn't buy stuff on amazon now huh?"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

goongrats, you forced browser makers to make the www suck more

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
hmm yes its the browsers fault that ads are so annoying and malicious that they get blocked

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I appreciate browsers helping me never see ads

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sure would be awful if someone kicked down your door and spit in your face while you were eating dinner. would be a shame if someone stopped that from happening

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ok guess i have to spell this out on erre page

• Adblock blocks domains and places that serve ads.
  • Over time they gain a bunch of users
  • Then they start to monitize, since people who adblock hate seeing things they would want to have they go after website owners instead
  • "Man this would be really terrible if your checkout didn't work for our 100m users, you should pay to be on the whitelist"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extortion

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sounds like a problem for a dead industry

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

"since people who adblock hate seeing things they would want to have"

your have brain problems and should seek help

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-microsoft-amazon-taboola-pay-adblock-plus-to-stop-blocking-their-ads-2015-2

Google reportedly pays %30 of the of the ad revenue to the adblockers

That means they spent up to $30 billion dollars last year just unblocking ads.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

weird, I never see any. works for me :thumbsup:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

"since people who adblock hate seeing things they would want to have"

your have brain problems and should seek help

i turned off adblock on some poorly coded website a while back and suddenly it reloaded and replaced the white background with a gigantic animated colorful ad for fabric softener.

as a millennial, i would never buy fabric softener, even if i did want it, which i don't.

the ad noticeably slowed down scrolling on the page, which irritated me, and created a powerful enough association that now when i think of fabric softener i remember that ad (don't remember the brand! just the existence of the ad) and become angry, which reinforces my desire to not buy the loving stuff.

working as intended?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I appreciate browsers helping me never see ads

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pagancow posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-microsoft-amazon-taboola-pay-adblock-plus-to-stop-blocking-their-ads-2015-2

Google reportedly pays %30 of the of the ad revenue to the adblockers

That means they spent up to $30 billion dollars last year just unblocking ads.

good thing they make adblockers that just block everything regardless of whether anyone pays or not

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

good thing Google decides what can plug into their browser and cant

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

i turned off adblock on some poorly coded website a while back and suddenly it reloaded and replaced the white background with a gigantic animated colorful ad for fabric softener.

as a millennial, i would never buy fabric softener, even if i did want it, which i don't.

the ad noticeably slowed down scrolling on the page, which irritated me, and created a powerful enough association that now when i think of fabric softener i remember that ad (don't remember the brand! just the existence of the ad) and become angry, which reinforces my desire to not buy the loving stuff.

working as intended?

oh cool you went to imdb too

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

sounds like a problem for a dead industry

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow posted:

good thing Google decides what can plug into their browser and cant

good thing other browsers exist

still not seeing a problem here!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

once browser makers realize its acceptable to poach money from other ad networks, and everything is verticaly integrated due to lax FCC then good thing you can write and compile your own browser!

still not seeing a problem here!!!!!!!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mm ah yes slippery slope indeed

*slides away through a beautiful ad-less utopia forever*

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

we have come up with a solution that produces acceptable losses that we're willing to live with.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the question is, are you ready for a world where the ad and content are indistinguishable from each other?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I think children should not be advertised to

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BONGHITZ posted:

I think children should not be advertised to

and yet android is the biggest phone os

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i watched rick and morty on tv during a vacation (hotel had cable) and holy poo poo it is jarring to be bombared with ads every 10 minutes after a few years of streaming bliss

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow posted:

the question is, are you ready for a world where the ad and content are indistinguishable from each other?

hm yes surely the corporations only input the bare minimum of ads and this isn't already the case

this gimmick sucks, go back to saying interesting things about monitors or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Agile Vector posted:

and yet android is the biggest-phone os

• Locked thread