Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

illectro posted:

Do you play it with more than 2 players on a side? Curious as to how well it works with 3 or 4 players?

We have, but the 4 player rules really feel like a tack-on and as written it just becomes 1v1 with someone on each side quarterbacking the other

SO

we kinda created a house rule 4 player where not only can the General and Admiral literally only control their own heroes, but they can't communicate about mission choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

gender illusionist posted:

I think I'll be trying a kind of long range swarm with leia; there are some really neat things you can do with the way her ability works, for example: concentrate firepower with an extra die and reroll, followed by a nav token to change speed. If you run a scout corvette with Task Force Organa and slaved turrets you get (with a Leia concentrate firepower) a 4 red dice attack with 3 rerolls. Hell, a Leia concentrate firepower on any ship with a small number of attack dice makes a big percentage difference, so the best way to capitalise on her ability is to have as many ships as possible. GR75 combat refit with disposable capacitors swarm?

Doesn't Leia disallow using a different token, like the nav token, if you apply her ability to concentrate fire?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Doesn't Leia disallow using a different token, like the nav token, if you apply her ability to concentrate fire?

That is correct. Also, you have to be very careful how the task force Organa activates. If the task force ability is used before the ship activates, that ship can't attack. So you really need a bunch of them with the task force, and they need to be used in a set order. It can be quite strong, but it isn't a way for each hammerhead to reroll all its dice.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Ah yeah, that's a shame. I'll give it a go anyway but I suspect that reduced flexibility will mean she's not that great

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The whole point of Leia is to buff 1 command ships that can't save up many tokens. Your flotillas can now inherently push 3 squadrons, CR-99s can jump 2 speed levels, or CF that much better. It can also help out with engineering commands on the big ships. That's an extra shield recovered, or a second hull damage restored on an MC-80.

It is likely still worthwhile to have a navigate token from your first turn, for when you need to change speed unexpectedly. And when that comes up, you forgo the Bonus token action to get your ship out of harms way.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think Leia will be a good all-around commander. She won't crack skulls as well as Ackbar, she's not a cut-rate necromancer like Riekann, she doesn't hand out crits like Dodonna...but she hits hard, repairs better, turns better, and plays the squadron game fairly well too. Paired with any of the officers that let you change commands on reveal/for the price of a token, she's probably going to be terrifying.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think Leia will be a good all-around commander. She won't crack skulls as well as Ackbar, she's not a cut-rate necromancer like Riekann, she doesn't hand out crits like Dodonna...but she hits hard, repairs better, turns better, and plays the squadron game fairly well too. Paired with any of the officers that let you change commands on reveal/for the price of a token, she's probably going to be terrifying.

Now that idea I like, I'll work that into my list

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Icon Of Sin posted:

CR90A (57)
Dodonna's Pride
Turbolaser Reroute Circuits

GR-75 Medium Transports (23)
Quantum Storm
Repair crews

Don't put Dodonna's Pride on a CR90A. Especially with Red Dice manipulation from the Turbolaser Reroute.

Don't put something that requires you to engineer on something that requires you to navigate. Or visa-versa.

Other than that, looks like fun. Maybe use the points you save from the Pride to put Ordnance Experts on the MC30?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
There's been a ton of Prime Day deals for Armada ships, but almost all of them are Rebels (Neb B, Assault Frigate MK II, Home One, Liberty & MC90). They had the VSD on sale, but I skipped it since I already have two. Going to have to invest in imperial ships to balance out.

Sounds like a bunch of people lucked out early on and got some free items due to a pricing error.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Check Wordery and the bookdepository for Armada sales too. Amazon owned but can have better pricing sometimes, free shipping too.

Edit: And a recap of the Battle of Atollon from the S3 finale of Star Wars Rebels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suj_JJbgDNA

I wonder if anybody has played this in Armada yet...

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 12, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

twig1919 posted:

Has anyone tried the rebellion expansion? My friends and I were very reluctant to buy it because we have found Rebellion to be drat near perfect for us. We actually get a lot of variety in our games. There are many ways the rebels can play, and many opportunities for exciting gambits. Personally, I put serious planning in my empire games about how to react to what the rebels game plan might be. We are afraid that the expansion will make the game more predictable and worse.

No, mostly because Rise of the Empire isn't out yet. it's a Q3 release which means July-September. Most people are guessing it'll be out at Gencon in early August.

My own experience is that the Imperials win if they can find the Rebels early but the Rebels usually win if the game takes a while.

illectro posted:

Do you play it with more than 2 players on a side? Curious as to how well it works with 3 or 4 players?

Played four, but either you get quarterbacking or else weird rule by committee that leads to hilarious inefficiencies, which are especially damaging to the Empire who need to keep their eye on the "find the Rebel Base" ball at all times. Rebellion really is a two player game and should be played as such. There are lots of good four player games out there, play those instead.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 14, 2017

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

I definitly have an Armada problem.
After picking up all the rebel ships in the Prime day sales (Assault Frigate, Home One & Liberty) I needed to beef up Imperial options so I grabbed an ISD ($35 so a decent discount).
But even then I knew I needed some smaller imperial ships and someone on twitter pointed me at http://www.thewarstore.com/star-wars-armada-miniature.html which had the series squadrons listed as 'in stock' so I jumped on that deal. Then added on the Gladiator, Raider and the new Light Carrier... before noticing that was discounted even more in the summer sale, which also included the Hammerheads.... so even more purchases.

Today I caught myself looking at the spreadsheet and realizing it wouldn't cost me that much to complete the set and get one of everything.

Even sadder is the fact that I've tried to get the kids to play armada and they hate it, they love X-Wing, love Imperial Assault but end up almost moved to tears when we work through the rules of Armada.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I just got Imperial Assault and want to get four of my gamerdad friends toplay (whenever the stars align and we have free time at the same time).

I already finished half of Descent 2 with two of them, so I'm halfway familiar with the system already.

Is there something I should know about the game before we start? I'll play as Imperium, and I assume we'll have to proxy at least one player at least once a while.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Not a viking posted:

I just got Imperial Assault and want to get four of my gamerdad friends toplay (whenever the stars align and we have free time at the same time).

I already finished half of Descent 2 with two of them, so I'm halfway familiar with the system already.

Is there something I should know about the game before we start? I'll play as Imperium, and I assume we'll have to proxy at least one player at least once a while.

Forget everything you know about Descent. Don't assume IA works anything like Descent. Descent experience will trip you up more than anything. That was my experience with the transition to IA. If you are unsure of how something works, look it up don't assume it works like it does in Descent. I used to be slightly unsure on some rules and would fall back on my Descent knowledge.. and then after the game was done we as a group would look back and go "Oh well that was completely loving wrong"

Play with all 4 rebels, even if you are short on people. The game is balanced for the 4 players (IMO) and doing the missing player = extra turns for other players really changes the way the missions are won and lost.

A sample of how playing with 3 rebels is different than 4. Each character gets 2 activations and they can move move, or move action, or action action. Most missions are "move as fast as you can, grab something and get out of dodge". When you give a character an extra 2 activations due to running in 3 hero mode, you now have a character that can move, move, move, move. Effectively covering half (if not whole) the map in one player round. Where as if there were 4 characters each one would end up roughly the same distance from start to objective.

Focus fire is your best friend, try not to spread your damage around. Also remember always play to the objective. Don't get locked in on a kill if the kill won't advance your objective.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 18, 2017

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Not a viking posted:

Depending on the number of players you have you can promote the characters to 'Heroic' or 'Legendary' for a specific mission. So if you have 3 players just use 3 characters, but each round one character gets to activate twice, and if you have 2 players with 2 characters then both characters get 2 activations per round. The game is balanced around players having 4 activations per turn.

But if you have people coming and going it's a good idea award the characters XP and cash even if they missed the mission so they can keep up with their team mates.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

illectro posted:

Depending on the number of players you have you can promote the characters to 'Heroic' or 'Legendary' for a specific mission. So if you have 3 players just use 3 characters, but each round one character gets to activate twice, and if you have 2 players with 2 characters then both characters get 2 activations per round. The game is balanced around players having 4 activations per turn.

But if you have people coming and going it's a good idea award the characters XP and cash even if they missed the mission so they can keep up with their team mates.

The game is balanced slightly better when you don't use the Heroic or Legendary cards, and just have the present players controlling the hero of the missing player. Some of the missions require heroes to run to the end, and the ability to move a single hero 4 times in a single round (2 activations with double move) ends up as pretty powerful.

<4 players controlling 4 heroes is an increase in complexity though, especially near the end of a campaign where each hero has a lot of abilities. Heroic and legendary cards might be good if you are playing with kids or lighter gamers, where simplicity is more important than balance.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 18, 2017

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Quick question: So I haven't played Star Wars Armada in about a year, but that's mostly due to life stuff, not because I didn't dig it. A couple stores locally are having some Store Championships at the start of August, and I thought it was time to dive back in and give it another go. The issue, of course, is that while I have everything from Waves I and II... that's it. Also, I have no idea what the current meta is/what the new hotness is/what kind of rules changes and developments have happened since/etc.

So, what's the current state of Armada, what would I expect to run into August 5th/12th, and is it even possible to have a viable force of just Waves I and II ships?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

susan posted:

Quick question: So I haven't played Star Wars Armada in about a year, but that's mostly due to life stuff, not because I didn't dig it. A couple stores locally are having some Store Championships at the start of August, and I thought it was time to dive back in and give it another go. The issue, of course, is that while I have everything from Waves I and II... that's it. Also, I have no idea what the current meta is/what the new hotness is/what kind of rules changes and developments have happened since/etc.

So, what's the current state of Armada, what would I expect to run into August 5th/12th, and is it even possible to have a viable force of just Waves I and II ships?

Put together a good list and you might take people by surprise by playing outside of the orthodoxy

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
What's a good list, though? Asking for a friend that most definitely not me and have only the starter + fighters + scum and villainy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Activation spam is big, people are running 5-6 ship fleets right now. Huge expensive ships arent that effective atm. A buncha stuff got nerfed recently like Reeikan and Rhymer. Id prob consider buying at least 1 flotilla and running whatever mishmash of small ships you have.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Is the Akbar Guppy fleet still a thing? Like, 4ish CR90's and a big flagship?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah its still good although you might wanna downgrade the big ship to like a mc30 since fighters are a thing again and youre gonna want to save points for them.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Not a viking posted:

Evaluate your choices as the imperial player carefully because you aren't just playing to win - you're the primary driver of how the game plays out. More so than in Descent, the imperial player has a great deal of control over the difficulty of the game. At first everyone will be fumbling trying to figure out how poo poo works, but you'll learn pretty quickly that some units are more useful than others depending on your player mix, and much of the nasty stuff you can do remains hidden from the players so it's hard for them to tell if you're slow-playing or not. I aimed to make every mission we played come down to the last round and we had a pretty good time with that style of play rather than me just trying to steamroll the heroes.

And as the other dude said, forget you ever played Descent. It looks a lot like it but if you try to handle edge cases by defaulting to Descent habits you'll gently caress things up. Line of sight in particular is very, very confusing coming from Descent and it's the first thing I taught folks when we switched over.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The most experienced player should take the Imperials.

Rebels must remember what the actual objective is and how few turns they get to do it.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Would this be any good?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

You have way more squadrons than you can expect to activate each round. Also, CR-90As typically want some sort of turbolaser upgrade to make their red dice more consistent.

To help with your squadrons, I would recommend dropping at least 2 of them to help fit in another flotilla. Adding hanger bays to each of them so they can each activate 3 squadrons is a good idea.

For the CR-90s, I would recommend TRC (turbolaser reroute circuits), or at a minimum dual turbolasers. TRCs ability to change a die to a Crit, or double damage really boosts the damage of the CR-90. Just remember that it was errataed to be once per turn.

Your Assault frigate could use a little bit of tweaking. Some of these come down to personal preference. The general consensus seems to be that Advanced Projectors is expensive for what it does. A lot of times Electronic Countermeasures would have been much more useful, as being able to brace against a large amount of damage with an accuracy can be huge. I have heard Reinforced Blast Doors can be good on medium ships if you can acquire those. Flight controllers on the frigate is hard to recommend. If you change out boosted comms for expanded hanger bays, then you can get 4 squadrons with the extra dice. That starts to be worth it. Maybe shift the boosted comms to a flotilla if you are worried about all your ships being in range of your squadrons.

Also, a big thing when designing a fleet list is to include the objectives. The objectives you are planning on using will help to give some guidance on what your fleet is planing to accomplish.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Orvin posted:

Also, a big thing when designing a fleet list is to include the objectives. The objectives you are planning on using will help to give some guidance on what your fleet is planing to accomplish.
Is there a primer for objectives somewhere that explains how they relate to fleet building? I get partway through reading the cards and eventually just glaze over because there are so many of them.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I have posted this blog before, and it is a good resource for information.

http://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com/

They are planing on going back and updating stuff after playing more games with the latest wave. As for your request,

http://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com/p/objectives-index.html

Has links to each set of objectives and a discussion on them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thanks. I was reading through that blog but basically ran out of time just before the Christmas exams last year and forgot to get back to it. Seems like they've been crazy busy since I stopped reading.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Awwwwwwwwwww yeah FFG is rereleasing the WEG d6 RPG in a 30th anniversary edition

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Awwwwwwwwwww yeah FFG is rereleasing the WEG d6 RPG in a 30th anniversary edition

This makes me proud to say that I still own both of these books and have them lovingly placed on my book shelf.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AndyElusive posted:

This makes me proud to say that I still own both of these books and have them lovingly placed on my book shelf.

Me too. Plus Heroes and Villains, Otherspace 2, and several Star Wars Adventure Journals.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My local comics place had a load of this stuff get handed in as part of a collection and I've been buying it as they sort through it. It's very much worth getting this box set if you like Star Wars RPGs at all. There's loads of :allears: 80's game design charm in there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently the big GenCon announcement from FFG is a minis warfare game

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/256411-star-wars-legion-large-scale-ffg-ground-combat-minis-wargame/

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm definitely interested in using these minis for a commands and colors reskin. :woop:

e: they'd better have the snow critters!

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 17, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Stepping on Games Workshop's toes again!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ugh, right in the wallet.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

I'm going to have to buy the 30th anniversary books because of great memories. Maybe my kids will want to play.... probably not.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

What are the odds that the models will the 1:270 scale like the X-Wing ships?

Although size scale doesn't match the 'time scale' of the X-Wing gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

illectro posted:

What are the odds that the models will the 1:270 scale like the X-Wing ships?

Although size scale doesn't match the 'time scale' of the X-Wing gameplay

For unpainted models, that's pretty small.
I expect they're going to be Runewars/Imperial Assault scale