Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gonkish posted:

http://i.imgur.com/rcTo13j.gifv

If this poo poo doesn't make you want to play Skaven and only Skaven from now until infinity, check your pulse you may be dead.

I only just noticed the crankrat at the back of that contraption. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Yo, Raddy, jump that bigass ramp.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Skaven being able to settle anywhere and have them be stealth cities disguised as ruins seems pretty fitting and simple solution, there has never been a turn-based campaign map with a second underground layer that hasn't been terrible in any game it's been in.

I don't remember it being bad in Age of Wonders.
Edit: Talk about being slow.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
End Times Thanquol isn't the best but he's a hell of a lot better than the other Thanquol model. Basically every skaven thing from before the 2009 remodel looks like rear end. (Note: all the CA and vermintide art is post-2009 style skaven)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mordja posted:

What the gently caress.

We don't talk about End Times.

It leads to bad things.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I suspect tomorrow isn't an exclusive TB or Eurogamer only thing, it's PROBABLY the NDA lift. So we may be getting an infodump from CA, streamers, YouTube people, and various gaming sites.

Warp Lightning cannon confirmed, and if I'm not mistaken that looks like a Globadier on the right.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 16, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, it's totally a globadier.

Kind of disappointed that Warp Cannon seems to basically be another Luminark-like but with more razzle-dazzle, was hoping it'd function like Necron weapons from DOW, AKA firing off a jagged, instant bolt of sickly green lightning.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
On mobile so if someone can steal and Imgur the two images from PC game's article and put them here the thread will pop a little rat boner.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

End Times Thanquol isn't the best but he's a hell of a lot better than the other Thanquol model. Basically every skaven thing from before the 2009 remodel looks like rear end. (Note: all the CA and vermintide art is post-2009 style skaven)

speaking of remodel...

check out the eshin rats in the top right. going by this and the brief shot of them in the trailer, it looks like they decided to redesign some of them into more eastern-style outfits. its a good look.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

From the PC Gamer article. The last one is objectively the best because DOOMWHEEL and also elves getting wrecked by said DOOMWHEEL.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I think it would be cool if Belagor, Skarsnik and Queek get in a 3-way race to capture Karak 8 peaks. Then maybe after you capture it you get to do a quest battle where you have to fight off the leaders of both factions in a royal rumble beneath the mountain.

It would also be cool if Belagor (and Gotrek as a legendary hero) getting anti-skaven skills.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Panfilo posted:

I think it would be cool if Belagor, Skarsnik and Queek get in a 3-way race to capture Karak 8 peaks. Then maybe after you capture it you get to do a quest battle where you have to fight off the leaders of both factions in a royal rumble beneath the mountain.

It would also be cool if Belagor (and Gotrek as a legendary hero) getting anti-skaven skills.

If they don't do this, they're missing a huge opportunity. Giving Skaven a start in the Old World, spicing up the Skarsnik/Belegar thing, making Queek fit perfectly in the Badlands... yeah.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I wish this game supported more than two sides. Maybe by the third game. Imagine a huge fight between four or six or one hundred different races. That'd be cool.

Fukkin' Total War...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I wish this game supported more than two sides. Maybe by the third game. Imagine a huge fight between four or six or one hundred different races. That'd be cool.

Fukkin' Total War...

Well you're in luck, because the devs have already said that TW2 will feature free-for all multiplayer, which will hopefully lead to:

Panfilo posted:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/6u3dd2/german_website_gamestar_dropped_infos_on_skaven/

quote:

A quick summary for non-germans:
invisible cities: other factions see the cities as ruins, and are in for a bad surprise if they come to plunder the "ruins"
Food: skaven always need food. u get it for victories conquest etc. some cities can produce Food, but not all. good food supply improves moral and order, low food supplies can "cripple ur empire badly"
the menace from below: before a battle we can use food to get more Special abilities in battle. For example: summon more rats on the battlefield. ability charges will be influenced by skaven-CORRUPTION
skaven-corruption lowers public order, including ur own!!!
loyality: Keep ur generals happy with items, strong troops, victories etc. otherwise they get unhappy and will try to from their own sub-faction.

Some Skaven gameplay mechanics from a german website I guess.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
They should reintroduce Squalor as a mechanic but have it give bonuses instead

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

skaven-corruption lowers public order, including ur own!!!
Ah haha

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yesssssss, they've implemented Skaven backstabbyness after all.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Another post on Reddit has a slightly less lovely translation, and it implies that Dark Elf generals have a somewhat similar loyalty mechanic. No actual details of what that means, but I guess the reason we haven't seen Dark Elf gameplay is because they've got some similarity in that mechanic, somehow?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Skaven should get some lightning strike type blue skill that lets you intervene in other fights nearby if you wish, letting the two enemies grind themselves to exhaustion before swooping in to finish off the survivors and loot the spoils. This would also make them a challenging opponent, marching in during a close battle to try to wipe you out.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Gonkish posted:

From the PC Gamer article. The last one is objectively the best because DOOMWHEEL and also elves getting wrecked by said DOOMWHEEL.

That DOOMWHEEL looks a bit different than the one in the trailer,leading me to hope that there are multiple art models of DOOMWHEEL.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I can't wait for my typical run of luck to happen and for all my Lords form a conga-line to stab me the back :allears:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

speaking of remodel...

check out the eshin rats in the top right. going by this and the brief shot of them in the trailer, it looks like they decided to redesign some of them into more eastern-style outfits. its a good look.

New Eshin style looks great, as does that Rat Ogre. God the actual Rat Ogre models are some ugly fucks.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mordja posted:

Well you're in luck, because the devs have already said that TW2 will feature free-for all multiplayer, which will hopefully lead to:

Hopefully it's also viable in singleplayer. Maybe their AI has finally hit its limits and they'll make less lovely AI!

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Panfilo posted:

Skaven should get some lightning strike type blue skill that lets you intervene in other fights nearby if you wish, letting the two enemies grind themselves to exhaustion before swooping in to finish off the survivors and loot the spoils. This would also make them a challenging opponent, marching in during a close battle to try to wipe you out.

They said the 4-player FFA is only in Multiplayer but that was awhile ago, and who knows maybe they actually managed to add something like that to the Grand Campaign? I'd keep my expectations low. Personally all I want is more winning condition options and players for coop. Some things just get removed or dumbed down. (wood elf events, WoC army numbers, etc)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SteelMentor posted:

I can't wait for my typical run of luck to happen and for all my Lords form a conga-line to stab me the back :allears:

New Eshin style looks great, as does that Rat Ogre. God the actual Rat Ogre models are some ugly fucks.

That's an old model, the 8th edition ones look way better:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I am slightly concerned that all these shots of warpfire throwers imply ratling gunners aren't in :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Given that some dinos are going to have a 'feral' mechanic that causes them to go apeshit on their own forces if their morale gets too low, it would make sense for stuff like Rat Ogres to get it too. They could even have a mechanical version of it where warp lighting cannons might accidentally start firing wildly if their leadership dropped.

This would be a fun strategy to fight Skaven-panic their artillery crews and watch the malfunctioning weapon take care of the rest. *doomwheel starts whizzing around uncontrollably at 4x its base speed*

There could be hero or Lord aura effects to help mitigate these if you were close enough.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mordja posted:

That's an old model, the 8th edition ones look way better:

They still sell the old ones, those new ones only ever came in that Isle of Blood/Spire of Dawn boxset. A shame really, the leap in quality is staggering.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

speaking of remodel...

i love the rat ogre redesign. looks more frankensteiny than the old models, but less stupid than the end times ones

also thanquol doesn't die in end times, but I think queek does which is bullshit.

I hope queek talks to the skulls on his trophy rack like he does in the lore. He gets loads of advice from them.

Also, Skrolk info I've trawled from the internet:

- he's extremely gross, hairless and covered in sores.

- he emits plague so strong that even though he's super stinky flies who try to get close to him just die. as do his own servants who aren't plaguey enough.

- he clawed out his own eyes when he saw Lord Nurghlich, the head of his clan, because he never wanted to look on anything else after having seen his beauty.

- even though he's blind he is blessed enough by the horned rat to be able to see in plague-o-vision. literally he sees in daredevil style, but instead of sound its the contrast between infected and uninfected he sees.

- he has super good reflexes for an old guy. like dare devil.

- his model is extremely lovely looking.,

that's basically all I could find out. I liked the design they had of him in the video and I hope they lean in on the blind mole rat influence. There's another skaven vehicle type thing called a plague censer, which kills stuff in an aoe, including your own guys, its just that plague rats die to it slower than everyone else. I hope skrolk has a mechanic like that so he's a monster in melee but potentially hazardous to have on the back lines.

Helman ghorst turned out to be a really cool, unique character despite having basically 0 lore presence, as did the weird guy they partially made up for bretonnia. I hope they work their magic on skrolk again to make him the disgusting monster he should be, instead of the boring non-entity he is at the moment.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the censer appears in the trailer, smacking a dinosaur in the face

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, this makes me wonder, since Alberic, Ghorst and now Skrolk get to be lords, what other obscure characters would you guys like to see get the lord treatment? Remember, I'm asking for people of like Alberic levels of importance here, people like Ludwig Schwarzhelm don't count.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Stephen9001 posted:

Yeah, this makes me wonder, since Alberic, Ghorst and now Skrolk get to be lords, what other obscure characters would you guys like to see get the lord treatment? Remember, I'm asking for people of like Alberic levels of importance here, people like Ludwig Schwarzhelm don't count.

mad count marius of averland with his advisor daisy the warhorse

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://i.imgur.com/rcTo13j.mp4

It's running over tons of rats while going forward :allears:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Skaven being able to settle anywhere and have them be stealth cities disguised as ruins seems pretty fitting and simple solution, there has never been a turn-based campaign map with a second underground layer that hasn't been terrible in any game it's been in.
Heroes of Might and Magic and Age of Wonders seriously disagree with this claim.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I hope the rat with the glasses will be the advisor for the Skaven rather than the wizard.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Stephen9001 posted:

The correct answer is Slambo

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

mad count marius of averland with his advisor daisy the warhorse

Grumio posted:

The correct answer is Slambo

These both seem like good answers! Can't wait to see what offering other people have.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Anyone know of a good tutorial on how to begin modding stuff for total war? Their own forums are a headache.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Stephen9001 posted:

The Tomb King Amanhotep the Intolerant, who I mentioned a few pages back. His only lore mentions are the time he got kidnapped by Battle Pilgrims and slaughtered the population of several Bretonnian villages on his way back to his city on foot, and an appearance in the Dreadfleet specialty game, where he piloted a ship that was pulled by giant Ushabti and shot solar lasers from the capstone of a pyramid built on the deck. He operates out of Zandri, Nehekhara's main port city, located right where the Mortis River meets the Great Ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Stephen9001 posted:

These both seem like good answers! Can't wait to see what offering other people have.

Harry the hammer is also a good pull from the early history of GW

• Locked thread