Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Autistic but evil is a pretty scary type of character that really gets the audience reacting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There was no goodness in Leo at all. All the other sources of evil in the show had their moments where they could be charming or funny, or likable, even if only for a moment. Leo was just an awful person, full stop, even if his evil was banal as compared to the big evil of others.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
He tried to save Shelly tho

Because she hadn't wiped down the vapor barriers in weeks

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

remusclaw posted:

There was no goodness in Leo at all. All the other sources of evil in the show had their moments where they could be charming or funny, or likable, even if only for a moment. Leo was just an awful person, full stop, even if his evil was banal as compared to the big evil of others.

Shelly said he wasn't always like that, though. Not sure if that means he actually was a better person at one point, or that was just a typical lure into the abuse.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Well one location was the basement of the hospital, the other is of The Great Northern (I think). But the sound design and look is very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrwVk7ywqo

Does BOB ever talk (in his BOB form) in the actual series?

yeah, mostly in the lodge areas and if i remember in the josie scene and in fwwm.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

Well one location was the basement of the hospital, the other is of The Great Northern (I think). But the sound design and look is very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4NWOyPp1yg&t=68s

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

Shelly said he wasn't always like that, though. Not sure if that means he actually was a better person at one point, or that was just a typical lure into the abuse.

I kind of turn around in circles on my thoughts on this issue. There are times when I wonder that Twin Peaks doesn't attract and bring out evil in those who live in it's proximity, and there are other times when I think that the evil in the town is no different than the evil you would find in any town if you look at it long and hard enough.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Oh yeah I remember that, but that's just the same footage from the international pilot.

I don't recall the other times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

remusclaw posted:

I kind of turn around in circles on my thoughts on this issue. There are times when I wonder that Twin Peaks doesn't attract and bring out evil in those who live in it's proximity, and there are other times when I think that the evil in the town is no different than the evil you would find in any town if you look at it long and hard enough.

I always thought that riding that line was the whole point of the show. The natural evil that lurks within the hearts of man is the same as the spiritual evil that forces people to do bad things- they're different causes with the same effect.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
It'll be hilarious if it turns out that green glove guy was bullshitting James and just really likes wearing one glove. And was told to wear it in the first place by an actual fireman who already stole the other glove from the store. And we never see green glove guy again.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah, I distinctly remember him referring to Cooper as "Coop" which seemed oddly friendly to me. I think it was right after Josie died. He talks in the Black Lodge when he kills Earle, too.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYxoVrNua4&t=132s

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 16, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cromulent posted:

Yeah, I distinctly remember him referring to Cooper as "Coop" which seemed oddly friendly to me. I think it was right after Josie died.

Yeah, he asks Cooper what happened to Josie, and he does call him coop

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Krangdar posted:

I've never seen this before. The sound at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrwVk7ywqo&t=349s sounds very similar to the noise Ben Horne was listening for in the Great Northern

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I love this track too. Lissie has a really great voice!

I absolutely hated it, I guess I like more "country" stuff.

This might be why she's recognizable, its the opening to Justified: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWaElKZvEFw

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah, he asks Cooper what happened to Josie, and he does call him coop

I thought that was just BOB doing an impression of what he figured Truman would say. He's clearly being sarcastic.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

wait, did the josie trapped in a drawer bit happen in the series proper? I do not remember that at all and thought you guys were talking about some missing pieces scene or something. It's been at least 10 years since i saw s1 and s2.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Attitude Indicator posted:

wait, did the josie trapped in a drawer bit happen in the series proper? I do not remember that at all and thought you guys were talking about some missing pieces scene or something. It's been at least 10 years since i saw s1 and s2.

Yes, it happens at the end of episode 16 of season 2.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I absolutely hated it, I guess I like more "country" stuff.

This might be why she's recognizable, its the opening to Justified: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWaElKZvEFw

What? No it isn't. That's some like Gangstagrass song.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Yes, it happens at the end of episode 16 of season 2.

lol. I'm going to rewatch everything when season 3 is done. looking forward to other weird poo poo i forgot. most of season 2 is a boring haze to me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

I thought that was just BOB doing an impression of what he figured Truman would say. He's clearly being sarcastic.

Yeah, he's definitely just taunting Cooper

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

RIP old room service man :(

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

Prob already answered, but I think 3rd ep of the show had the scene from the international pilot as a dream Coop had.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cromulent posted:

Yeah, I distinctly remember him referring to Cooper as "Coop" which seemed oddly friendly to me. I think it was right after Josie died. He talks in the Black Lodge when he kills Earle, too.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYxoVrNua4&t=132s

Bob and Mike chowing down on the garmanbozia.

Escobarbarian posted:

What? No it isn't. That's some like Gangstagrass song.

gently caress I was thinking of this S2 promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpUutE75Tcw

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Leo was evil but he wasn't a huge idiot. In the sense that Richard Horne is.

The biggest thing I'm surprised about is no reference or anything of the lumber mill or even the bank explosion. Or that whole Main Street area with the department store.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

My favorite bit of trivia about the original series is how that guy is the comedic relief character from John Ford's The Searchers. He even throws some of his lines from that movie in the show.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

The biggest thing I'm surprised about is no reference or anything of the lumber mill or even the bank explosion. Or that whole Main Street area with the department store.

That area of the town always looked really out of place to me. At least, the small towns around here don't have areas that look like Horne's. Although I suppose according to the population sign the town was a lot bigger than it seemed.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

That area of the town always looked really out of place to me. At least, the small towns around here don't have areas that look like Horne's. Although I suppose according to the population sign the town was a lot bigger than it seemed.

Didn't Lynch want it to be 5,000 people instead but the producers made him change it to be "more relatable" for the viewers or something?

fake edit: IMDB says

quote:

The population of Twin Peaks was originally only supposed to be 5,120. However, there was a backlash against rural-themed shows at the time, as networks were fearful that the burgeoning urban and suburban population of America would not be able to sympathize with shows set in small farming or industrial towns, so ABC requested that the sign read 51,201. In a "Visitor's Guide to Twin Peaks" tie-in book authorized by creators David Lynch and Mark Frost, a note tells readers that the population was indeed 5,120, but that the sign had a "typo."

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

hawowanlawow posted:

The Return on the whole has been stronger, I think, but it's basically impossible to top "I'm so sorry" as far as individual moments go.

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Dr Hayward does briefly mention the bank explosion when talking about Audrey being in a coma.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lord Krangdar posted:

I just assumed that Horne's was actually in a nearby major city. Just because he owns it doesn't mean it has to be in twin Peaks. I don't recall any lines explicitly placing it in the town.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Horne's wouldn't be the first department store put out of business by a local wal-mart

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Attitude Indicator posted:

lol. I'm going to rewatch everything when season 3 is done. looking forward to other weird poo poo i forgot. most of season 2 is a boring haze to me.

The Josie trapped in a drawer knob scene is one of the most memorable scenes of the entire series. How the hell did you miss it?

It's probably the most horrifying fate of any character in the entire show. It's got a whole "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" vibe to it.

...! fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 17, 2017

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
At the goddamn motherfucking time that the original series aired, it wasn't loving out of the ordinary that there would be motherfucking department stores with perfume counters. gently caress. gently caress.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

In terms of emotional scenes for The Return, I find a lot of the Sonny Jim/ Dougie stuff really powerful/sad for various reasons. I mean, he had an emotionally distant father in Dougie, and the brain-dead Cooper thing is super playful and resonates a kind of innocent love, but its all an incredibly fragile illusion that obviously can't survive the brutality of passing time, Dougie-Cooper is too good for this world and Sonny Jim will end up somewhat of an orphan. Its kinda sad when he plays in the backyard when you realize the entity that created that moment for him isn't his actual father and doesn't really belong in the family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2awjPtUlew

Also this might be a question for NMD but anyone know any more sample-heavy/soundscape composition poo poo like this? I know its a shtick to sample certain classical/nostalgic piano lines into electro-acoustic stuff but I was wondering if there is a whole world of 2010's composers who remake stuff like the Tchaikovsky "remix" in the backyard scene?

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

moist turtleneck posted:

Autistic but evil is a pretty scary type of character that really gets the audience reacting

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intrinsic Field Marshal fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 17, 2017

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Apple Craft posted:

At the goddamn motherfucking time that the original series aired, it wasn't loving out of the ordinary that there would be motherfucking department stores with perfume counters. gently caress. gently caress.

:yeah:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Apple Craft posted:

Every department store has a perfume counter. You just instinctively avoid them by sensing the terroire of desperation and sadness.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sharon Needles speaks the truth.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/linzstam/status/897958093451010048

hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan