Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

BraveUlysses posted:

gently caress these people with a rake

Well that's not going to help the noise problem, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Baronjutter posted:

And people who knowingly buy houses with driveways and garages that size are now trying to get zoning and building codes changed in cities demanding every new development cater to their monster trucks.

Can you mandate a minimum garage size? Can you even mandate having a garage at all? What the hell?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

Can you mandate a minimum garage size? Can you even mandate having a garage at all? What the hell?

Zoning regs and building codes can mandate pretty much anything wrt to new construction.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Scruff McGruff posted:

It's like the people who build their new house right next to a race track and then complain to the city/county that it's far too noisy and is a big nuisance.

Reminds me of a friend who worked for a law firm that specialized in Free Speech. Great right? We all love free speech! Except these guys would go into a small community town that had strict zoning laws for things like roadside banners and signs and put up the most obnoxious, largest sign they could and wait for the city to request they remove it. Once that happened, they would counter-sue on free speech grounds take it to the federal level and get a big payday, sometimes nearly bankrupting the small town.

Scummy lawyer figured out how to get a steady paycheck by annoying, harassing and bankrupting small municipalities. The schadenfreude is on our legal system for allowing that poo poo.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Smirk posted:

Unless there's already another car in the garage.

or other items of value ha ha ha ha lol

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Karate Bastard posted:

"We didn't bother digging a basement for this pile of termite fodder we are selling you, so your garage is now your basement. We are quite literally the only developer in town, and possibly the county, so your only option is to buy from us." - California.txt

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Karate Bastard posted:

eh.. if you plug the garage opening w/ that truck, no one is going to be able to get in right? The truck is MORE secure than a garage door...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

deong posted:

eh.. if you plug the garage opening w/ that truck, no one is going to be able to get in right? The truck is MORE secure than a garage door...

Unless you just walk under it I guess

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruff McGruff posted:

It's like the people who build their new house right next to a race track and then complain to the city/county that it's far too noisy and is a big nuisance.

This is happening in Downtown Austin, Texas, of all places. The town known for its live music scene. Whole town's property value is blowing up, bunch of rich dudes moved in downtown and bought all this nice space, and then kept calling the cops on nearby bars and clubs who had bands playing live shows at night.

Like, gently caress you, you should have known.

I think people are trying to get them evicted though so that's cool scootyfruit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SpacePig posted:

Yep, this is the norm pretty much everywhere. You need X off-street parking spaces. More "fancy" areas will demand it be an enclosed garage, with set minimums. There will be set minimums for parking spot sizes, garage and door sizes. What an increasing number of people want is for these minimums to be raised because their over-sized luxury SUV fits too tight, or their huge lifted truck doesn't fit at all. They want every garage in the city to accommodate them because they bought a house with a garage, didn't measure anything, and then end up in situations like in the picture where they are getting tickets for blocking the sidewalk or live in some horrible HOA.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Burning_Monk posted:

Reminds me of a friend who worked for a law firm that specialized in Free Speech. Great right? We all love free speech! Except these guys would go into a small community town that had strict zoning laws for things like roadside banners and signs and put up the most obnoxious, largest sign they could and wait for the city to request they remove it. Once that happened, they would counter-sue on free speech grounds take it to the federal level and get a big payday, sometimes nearly bankrupting the small town.

Scummy lawyer figured out how to get a steady paycheck by annoying, harassing and bankrupting small municipalities. The schadenfreude is on our legal system for allowing that poo poo.

You're making this up. The town "requests" they remove the sign, but then they counter-sue? How do you counter-sue in response to a request? The small town chose to fight this all the way to the *Federal* level, despite judgements against them at the state level? Huh? And then went bankrupt? What small municipalities were these? Your friend must have been one hell of a lawyer to show damages sufficient to bankrupt a town other than just an order saying "The sign stays up."

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Aug 16, 2017

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Phanatic posted:

You're making this up. The town "requests" they remove the sign, but then they counter-sue? The small town chose to fight this all the way to the *Federal* level, despite judgements against them at the state level? Huh?

Towns make requests through the legal system this is called suing. What happens most of the time is the town will settle for $$$ to avoid a long legal battle but if they do, the generally lose at the federal level after going through the city and state appeals.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Burning_Monk posted:

Towns make requests through the legal system this is called suing.

No, a request is just a request. Usually in the form of a letter, maybe in the form of a letter from a lawyer with a bunch of official-sounding words like "cease & desist." It's not a lawsuit. And towns do not generally sue people in order to get them to comply with the law. What they do is just charge them with violating it and either fine them or arrest them.

quote:

What happens most of the time is the town will settle for $$$ to avoid a long legal battle but if they do, the generally lose at the federal level after going through the city and state appeals.

A small town whose financial solvency is on the line isn't going to appeal to the Federal level because someone puts up a sign and they really want to enforce a facially unconstitutional local law. And, again, you're not going to be able to show much in damages because you put up a sign and the city wanted to enforce an unconstitutional law requiring you to take your sign down. And towns generally have municipal insurance against paying out legal judgements, so what would happen is that their insurer would pay the judgement and the town's premiums would go up. If it got to that point. Which it wouldn't. Because you are making this up.

And you know what? If there is a town out there that had a blatantly unconstitutional law on its books, and someone found out about it and made a test case out of it and the local court found against the town and the town chose to keep spending money on a pointless legal fight that it knew it was doomed to lose and it kept appealing all the way up to the Federal level and the appeals all kept going against the town and at the end of the day the plaintiff managed to persuade a court that its reasonable legal expenses to keep fighting the case were enormous and the city wound up having to pay them out of its own pocket because it kept insisting on further litigation rather than just not enforce its blatantly unconstitutional law and whoops didn't actually have any municipal insurance? Then gently caress that town and it deserves what it got.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Aug 16, 2017

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a suspicion this thread might be the best place to ask. Wtf is kekistan.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

FogHelmut posted:

"We didn't bother digging a basement for this pile of termite fodder we are selling you, so your garage is now your basement. We are quite literally the only developer in town, and possibly the county, so your only option is to buy from us." - California.txt

basements are dangerous in earthquakes. real reason most homes dont have one. Its also why most homes are on the foundation instead of being raised up to have a crawl space.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I'm not making it up, just relaying what a friend told me. I'm not a lawyer myself so I don't know the nuances so maybe I'm not explaining it correctly but that is the jist. AFAIK the law firm closed after the 3rd sexual harassment suit from the lead partner, so they place was just scummy all around.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Karate Bastard posted:

not going to derail here but come on over to this thread and we'll let ya know.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807231

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

snergle posted:

basements are dangerous in earthquakes. real reason most homes dont have one. Its also why most homes are on the foundation instead of being raised up to have a crawl space.

Minimal earthquake risk here in the uk, most houses built in the past century don't have basements. Or crawlspaces. Massive cost versus no benefit to the builder is a more likely reason.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Karate Bastard posted:

When MRA's, Incels, Neo Nazis and GamerGaters "go gault" , they head to Kekistan.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
for 12 years you've been asking wtf is kekistan etc.

e: content

http://www.thedailybeast.com/foxs-abby-huntsman-humiliates-herself-as-guests-weep-over-morally-bankrupt-trump

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Karate Bastard posted:

The fake nation people who think Pepe is a political symbol flock to, like the nationalist version of Anonymous.

There's a planned America First rally in Orlando in a month and I can't decide if burning a Nazi flag or Kekistan flag in front of them would offend them more.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

FogHelmut posted:

Also, we are going to file for bankruptcy next week, just as soon as the owner's second construction business gets approved to build here, so all your construction warrantees that got you to buy the house will be void.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Minimal earthquake risk here in the uk, most houses built in the past century don't have basements. Or crawlspaces. Massive cost versus no benefit to the builder is a more likely reason.

In the States, neither of those things add to the square footage. So since they don't add to the selling price and aren't included.

Two Feet From Bread has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Aug 16, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We may be seeing incoming schadenfreude in a month.

https://twitter.com/KelvinGawley/status/897885548349603840

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Basements have nothing to do with earthquakes and everything to do with frost lines. A foundation for a house has to be below the frost line. If you live somewhere warm, like california, that might be just a few inches down. If you live somewhere with severe winters, that might be 7' down.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

chitoryu12 posted:

We may be seeing incoming schadenfreude in a month.

https://twitter.com/KelvinGawley/status/897885548349603840

The rivers will run red with faygo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Fox brings on a black conservative thinking he'll defend trump and look good doing it since he's a black man.

He does not.

"BUT WHAT ABOUT THE STATUESSS!!!?"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

sneakyfrog posted:

not going to derail here but come on over to this thread and we'll let ya know.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807231

oh.

oh loving no

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Karate Bastard posted:

oh.

oh loving no

sorry.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Naw every house ive ever lived in not in ca has had a crawlspace or basement. I've lived all over the us crawl spaces are very common here even in newer* houses. I have never lived in a large urban area though.

* now that I think about I don't think i've lived in a house built after 1990 except in ca. so maybe youre right

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Scruff McGruff posted:

I lived in an apartment very close to an airport for three years. One of the terms in the rental agreement was "You will not file noise complaints because of the nearby airport."

At least rent was cheap.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

What could be better than this guy crying on Youtube?

If there were national news headlines gleefully reporting that he's crying on Youtube.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Can someone make a Swastika with :qq: on it? tia

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

The fake nation people who think Pepe is a political symbol flock to, like the nationalist version of Anonymous.

There's a planned America First rally in Orlando in a month and I can't decide if burning a Nazi flag or Kekistan flag in front of them would offend them more.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

yea but then you have to buy one of those flags. take one off of a nazi and burn that one.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

yea but then you have to buy one of those flags. take one off of a nazi and burn that one.

Or don't take it off the nazi first.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i was driving around with my grandma a couple weeks ago and we passed a big TRUMP sign and she got a sour look and said "oh, every time i see that sign i want to just drive into his yard and run it over"

:coal: grandma

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Trig Discipline posted:

Or don't take it off the nazi first.

either way

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

chitoryu12 posted:

I can only imagine the schadenfreude of /btard memesters suffering the misappropriation of their lord and savior pepe

GnarlyCharlie4u has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
http://i.imgur.com/KWH9n7e.mp4