Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

Who the gently caress are these people?

One's some political blogger I dont follow and the other is a neo-nazi daily stormer hacker and internet troll who has previously done things like make a ton of unsecured printer print out nazi propaganda and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

He could be a mustang like buttplug is a mustang. I don't know his enlisted background, though.

:wtf: buttplug was prior enlisted?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So much winning.

Fake edit: at time the story was published, it had 2.7 million likes. It's currently at 3.7 million.

The tweet in question:

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/896523232098078720

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 16, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Internet Wizard posted:

Fick makes a strong argument for the importance of ROTC and other officer recruiting programs at strong liberal arts colleges because of the positive liberalizing influence it would have on the officer corps in his memoirs One Bullet Away. He, too, left the Marines as soon as possible after his experience with First Recon in Iraq.

Most army and marine officers are coming in with liberal arts degrees. Fick is one of those dudes i came up idolizing as the "ideal" officer you strive to be. Then when I had been in a few years i realized his poo poo is kind of :jerkbag:

I've also heard, after coming to the above conclusion, he omitted some bullshit and dumb poo poo he contributed to/was involved in but I haven't seen it verified.

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 16, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
loving lol:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Wutang forever...

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pembroke Fuse posted:

This is a real question for all the milgoons. I'm a civilian who's not having a good time right now given the rise of open Nazism in America, and I'm interested in knowing where the military stands in general? I know the branches all have different internal cultures (I guess the Navy is most "left" and the Air Force is strongly evangelical according to that documentary), but I wonder what the general temperature is like? If society really does start turning into armed camps, where will the military place its loyalties? How many actual white supremacists are the military? Is understanding how horrible Nazis were a part of military historical training?

Thisisn't something I considered to be a problem until very recently, unfortunately. Are you guys here to protect us?

Best Friends posted:

The bulk of the military are people who are on their first term enlisted. This group is a pretty even cross section of America, ethnically, politically, and ideologically.

Unfortunately that group is the least powerful in the organization. The more an enlisted person re-enlists, the more that person drifts conservative in my experience. So senior enlisted look more conservative than America. Senior enlisted also think they are the military, and do a lot to define the work culture, so they're mostly the reason if there's a TV on, it's probably playing Fox News.

The real problem is the officer class, which looks much less like America. Polls I've seen suggest about 75% of officers are republicans, and my anecdotal experience bears this out. The average officer is drawn from the khaki wearing college history club set, usually from a second tier or lower school because they weigh GPA much higher than program difficulty in selection. So, they're starting off with a nerdier, whiter, richer, more religious demographic than the average American before they even start getting acculturated into the military.

The officers are the ones who make the decisions. They're overwhelmingly conservative compared to most of America, and their key enlisted advisors are also much more conservative than most of America. The republican party is continually radicalizing, and as of recently, becoming more openly tolerant of white supremacists. So to your original point: I don't think the military is currently a hub of white supremacists. Trends for where things will be in 10 years though are a little worrying.
Note: This is mostly about the active and reserve components. As noted, Guard units vary wildly.

The officer corps is by nature conservative, not Republican or right wing. Important not to confuse the two, especially if you're doing retarded Civil War II theory crafting. Higher levels of command select for people who toe the party line, and invest in the importance of the institution, and their status within it.

I had co-workers who, based on knowing them personally, were certainly not Trump voters, plenty who liked Obama, and some others who were crazy libertarian Ron Paul goldbugs, but the ones who succeeded were joined by their belief in the importance of the institution. Open, neo-Nazi belief in the inherent superiority of one race doesn't survive long, because it's quite possible your commander is black or Hispanic, and you need to suck up to him if you want to advance to the next rung. Far more common is the country club sort of belief that racism is a non-issue. They don't see race. They have a black boss, after all!

There are certainly some old school Southern racists in the officer ranks who have managed to hide it, but you're more likely to find rightwing views on other culture war topics, like gay rights, trans rights, Islam, defense spending, the national debt (which most of them don't understand) or welfare. I guarantee there are some ratfuck crazy dudes all the way up to the GO ranks, but they are definitely a minority. The thing is, the ones who care about making rank care about that way more than they do hating minorities. Despite all the wailing and gnashing of teeth about the lifting of DADT, pretty much everyone fell in line, and in a decade most of them will no doubt be declaring that they aren't homophobes because they get along great with their gay boss.

The people at the very top of the pyramid, the Joint Chiefs and assorted other high level leadership, tend to have some degree of academic achievement and seasoning beyond a BS degree. They have an overriding interest in their legacy and the survival of the institution from which they derive their status. The military consistently polls as one of the most trusted and respected institutions in American society, and the political animals at the top know how fragile that really is. They have negative one million desire to get involved in messy domestic policing missions.

In the event that we literally have roving gangs of Proud Boys and Jayhawks hunting each other with AR-15s, I'd guess that the Joint Chiefs will punt that as far as they can as a "domestic law enforcement matter", and guidance to the ranks will almost certainly be "don't get involved in this poo poo on or off duty, and don't make us look bad."

So yeah, the officer corps is mostly folks who aren't straight up believers in the inherent superiority of their race/gender/religion, etc, and would probably espouse a belief in equality and meritocracy if asked, but they aren't terribly woke and don't give a poo poo about poor people, gay wedding cakes, or intersectionality. The military leadership is going to work as hard as possible to avoid civil strife because it would gently caress up the good thing they have going, but they aren't going to save you by rolling out the gunships to kill neo Nazis and Bundy Ranchers either.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Godholio posted:

:wtf: buttplug was prior enlisted?

buttplug was a part of a college program where he got e5 pay and was technically active duty while attending school although he was never really enlisted.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Thwomp posted:

So much winning.

Fake edit: at time the story was published, it had 2.7 million likes. It's currently at 3.7 million.

The tweet in question:

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/896523232098078720

I never voted for Barry or Joe

drat I miss them

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My cold, shriveled black heart derives joy at the idea of an Obama message on Trump's favorite platform absolutely crushing Donnie Dumbfuck in popularity. Being the most popular is the single thing he cares most about and I hope it drives him (further) into a frothing rage every single day, wounding him on the deepest levels.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

buttplug was a part of a college program where he got e5 pay and was technically active duty while attending school although he was never really enlisted.

Yeah I made E-5 pay at OTS and got a DD214 for it, dated the day before I commissioned. I'd be a special kind of tard to claim to be a prior.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Godholio posted:

Yeah I made E-5 pay at OTS and got a DD214 for it, dated the day before I commissioned. I'd be a special kind of tard to claim to be a prior.

this was an actual 2-3 year program. By the time one commissions through those they've already got 2-3 years of active time.

were you not around in the old A/T days? Not to say I wasn't a special kind of retarded back then, myself.

In actual current events, Dr. Dave subtweeting the president along with the joint chiefs.

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/897927615511543808

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

yeah there was a program where active duty enlisted could get e-5 pay to go to college and that time you spent going to college also counter towards retirement. Four year enlistment, four years in college, 12 years as officer, then retire.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, there are ROTC scholarships like that occasionally. Still nobody in their right loving mind would equate the two, unless it was one of the guard/reserve programs where you were ACTUALLY enlisted first, then got into ROTC on that simultaneous-whateverthefuck program.

If he was doing one of those, then yeah he can rightly claim it...but it makes his later behaviors all the more retarded.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

yeah there was a program where active duty enlisted could get e-5 pay to go to college and that time you spent going to college also counter towards retirement. Four year enlistment, four years in college, 12 years as officer, then retire.

AECP and it was ridiculously hard to get

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Instead of tearing down we could just make them more accurate

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Instead of tearing down we could just make them more accurate

No.

We tear them down.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

My Facebook is FULL of idiots defending Trump and saying both sides are bad or blaming it all on BLM or saying that the counter protesters are fully to blame for disrupting a peaceful protest about the removal of a statue. I want the world to burn.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
In good-ish news

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/897958971377451009

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genocide Tendency posted:

No.

We tear them down.

And replace it with Sherman and Sheridan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Along with Sherman's quotes

quote:

You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices today than any of you to secure peace.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

GoGoGadget posted:

My Facebook is FULL of idiots defending Trump and saying both sides are bad or blaming it all on BLM or saying that the counter protesters are fully to blame for disrupting a peaceful protest about the removal of a statue. I want the world to burn.

"Remember how every time a Muslim blows something up you talk about how the Muslim community needs to speak out against that poo poo? Now's your chance to step up."

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

General George Thomas for that added "gently caress the Confederacy" aspect

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lol this is going to be hilarious.

Washington DC, Sept 11

In one corner, pro-Trump marchers. In the other corner, racist hating Juggalos.

2017 why can't I quit you

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

2017 why can't I quit you

You don't have a belt and a doorknob?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:lol:

https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/897961984586645504

Posobiec looks at piss (tapes?) all day.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think we should annex North Korea in the name of the confederasah and put all of the statues there

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Current event: the best/worst first pitch ever just happened.

https://twitter.com/JoeGiglioSports/status/897965215068848128

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

"Oops I dropped my cup on you!"

*throws cup violently*

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

LOL. Dude's a loving 'tard if he's been stuck with that program for 3 reporting periods.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

Current event: the best/worst first pitch ever just happened.

https://twitter.com/JoeGiglioSports/status/897965215068848128

Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83FHj53QBHY

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

No nut shot

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

50 Cent's is the worst execution, but again, no nut shot :v:

Also fun fact: the lawyer representing Donald Trump in the Mueller investigation has very interesting opinions about George Washington and Robert E. Lee. He also appears to enjoy sharing them.

https://twitter.com/harrysiegel/status/897976900613799936

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want to hear the reasoning behind "saved America", because he tried to do the exact opposite for the USA, and failed to do it for the CSA.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fister Roboto posted:

I want to hear the reasoning behind "saved America", because he tried to do the exact opposite for the USA, and failed to do it for the CSA.

In a way, his defeat saved America.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If he did throw the war after creating an excuse to burn down the south, I'd say partial credit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Robert E Lees relatives just came out and told the KKK and Nazis to gently caress off and stop invoking their grandfathers name.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Protest march through the middle of Philadelphia had sign after sign that was just stuff like "gently caress you nazis". No subtlety, no flowery language. That was it, "gently caress off nazis"

Then some dork wanders in with a shirt that said "Feminism Is A Cancer". Sadly the cops swarmed around him and made him leave before he got an rear end whooping. Wouldn't have been as satisfying as a Nazi showing up because there were a pretty good amount of people with suspicious-for-the-weather black hoodies and pants but take what you can get.

Edit: Also saw a shark swarm that would have made drill sergeants jealous of someone that landed a drone and went to pick it up. Must have been some kind of guidance specifically about that. 10 or more bike police and two vehicles mobbed up on one guy that basically poo poo a brick and pulled out his ID.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

50 Cent's is the worst execution, but again, no nut shot :v:

Also fun fact: the lawyer representing Donald Trump in the Mueller investigation has very interesting opinions about George Washington and Robert E. Lee. He also appears to enjoy sharing them.

https://twitter.com/harrysiegel/status/897976900613799936

Yeah but all those people he listed won offensive military campaigns. Lee didn't :v:

• Locked thread