Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was looking at the post statistics for the thread. If your name isn't in the wordcloud you are probably too busy doing your job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Fool posted:

There's a difference between famous and infamous.

Potato, whinging jerk-off.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That guy's videos are always a riot but I can never figure out why, even now after the death of Vine, he chops the editing so close and they're always like 9 seconds long.

Brevity is the soul of wit here, it wouldn't be as funny if it weren't clipped.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

The key is to be a drunk "rich" rear end in a top hat.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dick Trauma posted:

I was looking at the post statistics for the thread. If your name isn't in the wordcloud you are probably too busy doing your job!

As productive as one can be watching a VM template copy over what I can only imagine is wireless dial up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The village idiot office manager managed to talk his way into being allowed to buy an expensive drone so he could take shots of places where things are built for my company. Needless to say Bill continually fucks up while wasting loads of time away from the office.

Now he's roped me into going with him because he's too goddamn stupid to do this by himself. This is the dumb motherfucker that lost his poo poo with me because I was "working too quickly" and it provoked a tirade of profanity, fist shaking and eventually tears.

On the flip side I get to leave the office and torment him with a stream of minor adjustments so he can get his shots. "Up a little, no, not that much, left, down a bit, no too far... turn left... more, more more left more left downabitpitchuppitchdownleftleftleftperfectnotoofar"

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Anyone up for spending the rest of the day watching youtube videos?

Already happens to me way too often.

Oh hey, Youtube how-to for that cool thing I've been wanting to make our server do *click*

Wow, that suggested video off to the right looks interesting too! *click*

(4 hours later) "Why are they turning the lights off already!?"

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

On the flip side I get to leave the office and torment him with a stream of minor adjustments so he can get his shots. "Up a little, no, not that much, left, down a bit, no too far... turn left... more, more more left more left downabitpitchuppitchdownleftleftleftperfectnotoofar"
I think you need to introduce Bill the to the killerdone, preferably on the receiving end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Viwwetf0gU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

PremiumSupport posted:

Already happens to me way too often.

Oh hey, Youtube how-to for that cool thing I've been wanting to make our server do *click*

Wow, that suggested video off to the right looks interesting too! *click*

(4 hours later) "Why are they turning the lights off already!?"

When things are particularly bad at work these are some of my go to videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-fSeFXd1hA An hour of snowfall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIxuhwQM5s8 Walking around Hong Kong in the rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l847vV5V618 Singapore bus stop on a very rainy day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-R90qgbiic Head rub to a very appreciative leopard

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dick Trauma posted:

This is my wallpaper. Perfect summation of my career of professional ennui.

Is this an Edward Hopper?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp predictably, CenturyLink is a no-show. I expected nothing less.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Not having any RDP solution.

Seriously I have to go to every single user's desk individually, and when there's 700 employees that's not always easy even with a seating map!

Seriously the only RDP we do support is through loving zoom room conferencing. You have to have the user log in to Zoom through our SSO, create a video or audio conference and then request screen sharing. It's ridiculous.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Iron Rose posted:

Seriously I have to go to every single user's desk individually, and when there's 700 employees that's not always easy even with a seating map!

Seriously the only RDP we do support is through loving zoom room conferencing. You have to have the user log in to Zoom through our SSO, create a video or audio conference and then request screen sharing. It's ridiculous.

https://www.unidesk.com/support/learn/2.5.5/administer/manage_desktops_and_templates/admin_desktops_remote_assistance

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

The village idiot office manager managed to talk his way into being allowed to buy an expensive drone so he could take shots of places where things are built for my company. Needless to say Bill continually fucks up while wasting loads of time away from the office.

Now he's roped me into going with him because he's too goddamn stupid to do this by himself. This is the dumb motherfucker that lost his poo poo with me because I was "working too quickly" and it provoked a tirade of profanity, fist shaking and eventually tears.

In this instance Bill is actually way smarter than you.
This is a win. I bet you could justify the company paying for lunch while you are out jerking off also.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ugh

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Is this an Edward Hopper?

The King of Ennui!

As for remote support I swear by LogMeIn. Makes my life so much easier. I've used it when the CEO was on an airplane at 30,000+ feet, used it when someone was sitting in their car on a cellular hotspot. Not perfect but generally reliable and useful.

fist4jesus posted:

In this instance Bill is actually way smarter than you.
This is a win. I bet you could justify the company paying for lunch while you are out jerking off also.

Bill has two areas of expertise, and they are linked to one another:

1. Producing endless gusto for sucking up to the CEO and the inner circle
2. Retaining his employment

He's a survivor, like Tony.

That said my plan for tomorrow is to be up in the cab of something with ten foot tall tires, lounging and eating bon-bons while Bill is out on the site eating dirt and trying to avoid getting run over by excavators.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 16, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

We're ostensibly implementing SCCM and jamf which should solve a bunch of problems eventually but lol if that'll happen anytime soon.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

That said my plan for tomorrow is to be up in the cab of something with ten foot tall tires, lounging and eating bon-bons while Bill is out on the site eating dirt and trying to avoid getting run over by excavators.

Ah there you go. Much better.
PS - Helping out like this also makes you a team player.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Dick Trauma posted:

He's a survivor, like Tony.

You go be a survivor too. Have fun flying a quadcopter and eating a free lunch. Work is not the goal, it is the means.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dick Trauma posted:

The King of Ennui!

Nighthawks, Night Windows and Automat are three of my favorite paintings ever. He portrays space, stillness and solitude like no other.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Things pissing me off at my partner's workplace -

A mission critical computer running windows XP with a corrupted system32 with adware installed, with security updates deferred since 2013.

Needless to say, there are no backups.

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Can anyone recommend me a RDP connection manager for teams? Right now we have an ancient version of VisionApp, and half our team is just using RDP Connection Manager because VisionApp has become so slow. Basically, as long as it has a nice tree view for ~900 servers, and can be centrally administered, I'd be happy. Bonus points for some kind of AD integration to limit access to certain groups/folders.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Make sure you tell Bill that the best way to retrieve a drone is to fly it back to you and just pluck it out of the air.

That's how all the drone experts do it and it absolutely never goes horribly wrong.

madmulligan
Dec 21, 2014

MANime in the sheets posted:

SNOW looks like it can be a decent system, the tools are all there. It's all in the execution....

SNOW was recently deployed to my company after ~6 months of testing with the sales teams. Surprise! It has almost none of the functionality we expect/need on the IT end. Finding information and working tickets takes 3x as long now, and a bunch of automated stuff between monitoring programs and SNOW are halfway implemented, so we've got tickets auto-closing that shouldn't be, and tickets flat out refusing to close no matter what that should have auto-closed , etc. etc.

The deployment to us was rushed, because the company didn't want to pay to relicense our old system for another year, so it's still available, but read-only, and now, 3 months later, it's 3 months out of date. We still have to refer to it, because some critical information did not port over to the new system properly - and no old tickets ported over. Somehow it's our fault that we didn't give the devs 'feedback' on the things we needed: NO ONE knew what our workflow would look like until 72 hours before rollout. We didn't really get a chance to test it at all. Trainings trickled out a month before deployment, but didn't cover how the NOC uses things at all - I sure do know how Helpdesk would work an incident though!

I read this and laughed because it sounded so familiar.. then i realized we work together. I'm out in the field and I'm still not sure how to make a incident, just close them. Luckily nobody seems to mind!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Things pissing me off at my partner's workplace -

A mission critical computer running windows XP with a corrupted system32 with adware installed, with security updates deferred since 2013.

Needless to say, there are no backups.

I was wrong.

Mission critical server running on a commercial windows install. Malware in system32. A corrupted system 32. The windows installation didn't update from Vista properly, so it's somehow been installing updates for both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

This is a financial office where privileged and confidential client information is transferred daily, including plaintext social insurance numbers in unencrypted or secured PDFs.

There are no backups, and the aged luddite boss thinks everything is fine because "so what if we can't download things, what's the problem?"

Not to worry though! My partner, who's a linguistic major who's computer proficient but not techy, has been tasked with migrating this computer to Windows 10.

I'm not even sure how old it is, but 10+ years if the fact that it came with Windows loving Vista.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Enable Remote Assistance via GPO and stick an icon on the desktop. It's built into Windows and works well within a LAN or over a VPN. If you have remote users and haven't set up DirectAccess, then you totally should.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
I stayed at work laaaaaate. Helping the junior software engineer. Who isn't on my scrum team.

Because I answered a question and helped him understand something Monday, so the toolbox who hates my guts decided to verbally rip him apart, loudly, in the office today. Gems included telling him that he shouldn't use code I wrote for anything ever because he wouldn't be able to explain why it works.

:psyduck:

So yep. Stayed until new_guy understood how to do gaps and islands problems in SQL. Also taught him how to alias a CTE. Dude left in a good mood with a plan for how he can fix his code. When I came over to his desk and got him to start talking he was convinced that he was terrible at coding and wouldn't get it solved ever. How the gently caress can you be so self-absorbed that you tear people to shreds and think they'll love you for it?!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SamDabbers posted:

Enable Remote Assistance via GPO and stick an icon on the desktop. It's built into Windows and works well within a LAN or over a VPN. If you have remote users and haven't set up DirectAccess, then you totally should.
Doesn't DirectAccess require IPv6?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Doesn't DirectAccess require IPv6?

Only internally. You can deploy it with a ULA prefix if your org doesn't have any global v6.

mewse
May 2, 2006

meanieface posted:

I stayed at work laaaaaate. Helping the junior software engineer. Who isn't on my scrum team.

Because I answered a question and helped him understand something Monday, so the toolbox who hates my guts decided to verbally rip him apart, loudly, in the office today. Gems included telling him that he shouldn't use code I wrote for anything ever because he wouldn't be able to explain why it works.

:psyduck:

So yep. Stayed until new_guy understood how to do gaps and islands problems in SQL. Also taught him how to alias a CTE. Dude left in a good mood with a plan for how he can fix his code. When I came over to his desk and got him to start talking he was convinced that he was terrible at coding and wouldn't get it solved ever. How the gently caress can you be so self-absorbed that you tear people to shreds and think they'll love you for it?!

You've heard about emotional intelligence vs IQ? Toolbox might have the latter

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The helpdesk manager for the IT department I'm currently working at is never around, and nobody knows where she goes when she's gone.

This leads to the a hearing impaired woman who works with helpdesk having problems getting sign language interpreters booked to assist her in meetings. She's had to cancel the appointments so many times after booking them, because the absent helpdesk manager cancels these meetings, and now the interpreters might be hesitant to work with her.

The helpdesk manager is a piece of work and deserves a much longer post, but this is the peak of it. How much more loving evil can you get?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

The helpdesk manager for the IT department I'm currently working at is never around, and nobody knows where she goes when she's gone.

This leads to the a hearing impaired woman who works with helpdesk having problems getting sign language interpreters booked to assist her in meetings. She's had to cancel the appointments so many times after booking them, because the absent helpdesk manager cancels these meetings, and now the interpreters might be hesitant to work with her.

The helpdesk manager is a piece of work and deserves a much longer post, but this is the peak of it. How much more loving evil can you get?

:justpost:

Edit: someones having a bad day
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/32405

Sefal fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 17, 2017

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

That was the way to start the morning that I needed. Holy poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

One bad vibe after another with this AT&T fiber upgrade.

First all our voice numbers with a certain prefix on the setup sheet were wrong by one number.
Now the line speed is off by a factor of ten. Cool for us, but I don't think my accounting department is going to pay that bill.
My contact information is for one of our retail stores, not our main office.
All communication is going through some guy that doesn't sound like he's from this country. Awesome job IBM outsourcing!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

madmulligan posted:

I read this and laughed because it sounded so familiar.. then i realized we work together. I'm out in the field and I'm still not sure how to make a incident, just close them. Luckily nobody seems to mind!

Am I the only one that works there with PMs here?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

evobatman posted:

How much more loving evil can you get?
Discrimination called, it's come to ruin your day

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"You know those wiring drops you placed around the warehouse, that were in the plans when we built it? Yea, well we saved $1500 and didn't have them put in. So there aren't any wiring drops in the warehouse now."

Great. Let's rent a loving lift and have some electricians come in either A) after hours or B) when we shut production down. Cheap fucks.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That's less than it cost to wire up my house.

Wow your colleagues are idiots.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We're also re-wiring the electrical and communications wires in the engineering department because we're getting REAL OFFICE FURNITURE

"Why can't we just use extension cords?"

This is the 4th room we've remodeled. Why do I have to explain this every loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

"You know those wiring drops you placed around the warehouse, that were in the plans when we built it? Yea, well we saved $1500 and didn't have them put in. So there aren't any wiring drops in the warehouse now."

Great. Let's rent a loving lift and have some electricians come in either A) after hours or B) when we shut production down. Cheap fucks.

That sounds like so many of my customers. Any time any of them ask for our input on wiring during construction we tell them to overdo it because it'll be cheapest to do it all at once while the building's apart. Some listen, some end up paying for emergency installs (because it's always for something/someone critical that arrived yesterday) of individual drops every few months for eternity.

My general rule is if you even think something needing network access might go somewhere, put a drop near it. If you know something needing network access is going somewhere, put two.