Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Gonkish posted:

Another post on Reddit has a slightly less lovely translation, and it implies that Dark Elf generals have a somewhat similar loyalty mechanic. No actual details of what that means, but I guess the reason we haven't seen Dark Elf gameplay is because they've got some similarity in that mechanic, somehow?

Nothing in the linked german article talks about Dark Elves.
Either they mean a different article or they are inferring that from somewhere else.

The only notable thing I would add is that food can apparently be used to build higher level buildings, but other than that, the original post covered the gist of it.

EDIT:
Top of the page, so I might as well do it myself:

Nahrung: Die Skaven sind ein verfressenes Pack und jede Armee schluckt stetig Nahrung. Durch Siege in der Schlacht, Eroberungen und Plünderzüge füllen wir die Speisekammern wieder. Auch Städte können Verpflegung herstellen, allerdings nur in bestimmten Schlüsselgebieten. Hohe Nahrung gewährt Boni auf Moral und Ordnung, aber niedrige Vorräte können unser Reich regelrecht verkrüppeln. Neu eroberte Städte können wir sofort auf höhere Stufen ausbauen, indem wir Nahrung investieren.

In English:
Food: Skaven are a gluttonous lot and every army continuously consumes food. You can refill your pantry through winning in battles, conquest and pillaging. Cities can produce some amount of food, but only in key locations. High food grants bonuses for moral and public order, but a lack thereof might cripple the Skaven empire. Newly conquered cities can build high tier buildings through an investment of food.

Something like that.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Anyone know of a good tutorial on how to begin modding stuff for total war? Their own forums are a headache.

Gejnor in here has several mods. He can probably start you off if he has time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
if dark elves, skaven, and lizardmen have a loyalty mechanic, I can't wait to see high elves have a haughty holier than thou mechanic where you have to keep pleasing their delicate sensitivities

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching some videos on Youtube of some Bretonnian players. How are they getting 90 people in a sword squire unit while i can only get 30?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Dartonus posted:

The Tomb King Amanhotep the Intolerant, who I mentioned a few pages back. His only lore mentions are the time he got kidnapped by Battle Pilgrims and slaughtered the population of several Bretonnian villages on his way back to his city on foot, and an appearance in the Dreadfleet specialty game, where he piloted a ship that was pulled by giant Ushabti and shot solar lasers from the capstone of a pyramid built on the deck. He operates out of Zandri, Nehekhara's main port city, located right where the Mortis River meets the Great Ocean.

this poo poo right here is why I will never understand the MORE GRIMDARK nerds, warhammer and fantasy should always have been hilarity first everything else second (which is why old orcs are awesome)

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Jastiger posted:

I'm watching some videos on Youtube of some Bretonnian players. How are they getting 90 people in a sword squire unit while i can only get 30?

Unit scale in options.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Jastiger posted:

That's an option in the graphics menu.

Unit sizes can be set to small, medium, large and ultra.
The game is balanced around "large", I believe, but it's pretty much just a matter of whether or not your computer can run it and a lot of people seem to like playing ultra.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zwiebel posted:

That's an option in the graphics menu.

Unit sizes can be set to small, medium, large and ultra.
The game is balanced around "large", I believe, but it's pretty much just a matter of whether or not your computer can run it and a lot of people seem to like playing ultra.

So does that mean the enemy has likewise smaller units too? Or am I handicapping myself by only having 30 dudes?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Jastiger posted:

So does that mean the enemy has likewise smaller units too? Or am I handicapping myself by only having 30 dudes?

It's across the board, you and enemies.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiler Kiwi posted:

speaking of remodel...

check out the eshin rats in the top right. going by this and the brief shot of them in the trailer, it looks like they decided to redesign some of them into more eastern-style outfits. its a good look.

For reference this is how their most recent model, from like the 90s early 2000s. Lookin rear end

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Jastiger posted:

It scales up on all units. For units that only have 1 unit like monsters, lords and heroes it cranks up their stats to compensate. Magic is kind of unaffected, which makes it relatively less effective at higher unit sizes.

Ironically, this tends to benefit heroes because there are only so many enemies that can engage them at a time while they flatten 3 to 5 guys each attack.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For reference this is how their most recent model, from like the 90s early 2000s. Lookin rear end

They look more like buck toothed baboons instead of Rats.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Gejnor in here has several mods. He can probably start you off if he has time.

Paging Gejnor!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also I don't think the Grey Seer in the video is Thanquol. Thanquol's not on the council, that is a key part of his character. His staff kinda matches the old Thanquol's but it also kinda matches a generic Seer staff. Otherwise Thanquol doesn't really have a consistent look in art or even consistent horn number/shape so IDK for sure.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's probably Seerlord Kritislik, Thanquol's master, head of the Grey Seers and the only Lord of Decay with two votes on the council.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Thanquol has Warpstone horns by his most recent design doesn't he?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Glenn Quebec posted:

Anyone know of a good tutorial on how to begin modding stuff for total war? Their own forums are a headache.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=702343155

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i love the rat ogre redesign. looks more frankensteiny than the old models, but less stupid than the end times ones

also thanquol doesn't die in end times, but I think queek does which is bullshit.

I hope queek talks to the skulls on his trophy rack like he does in the lore. He gets loads of advice from them.

There is only one end times Rat Ogre which is Thanquol's which looks cool. The other ones as shown above are from 8th and they also look good better then the old models.

Queek does indeed die in end times. From quickly looking it up. He gets into a big final battle Belegar Ironhammer (His main rival) and Thorgrim Grudgebearer. He ends up fighting and killing Belegar, but Thorgrim manages to avenge Belegar and kill Queek. Sadly for Thorgrim he is shortly after assassinated by Deathmaster Snikch who takes his head back to Skaven leadership . Skarsnik the last of the trio that fight each other over Eight Peaks is still alive but during the fighting his Pet squig Gobbla is killed and Skarsnik is heartbroken by this and leaves the battle and and Eight Peaks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They should just use the Vermintide soundtrack for all Skaven battles.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is only one end times Rat Ogre which is Thanquol's which looks cool. The other ones as shown above are from 8th and they also look good better then the old models.

Queek does indeed die in end times. From quickly looking it up. He gets into a big final battle Belegar Ironhammer (His main rival) and Thorgrim Grudgebearer. He ends up fighting and killing Belegar, but Thorgrim manages to avenge Belegar and kill Queek. Sadly for Thorgrim he is shortly after assassinated by Deathmaster Snikch who takes his head back to Skaven leadership . Skarsnik the last of the trio that fight each other over Eight Peaks is still alive but during the fighting his Pet squig Gobbla is killed and Skarsnik is heartbroken by this and leaves the battle and and Eight Peaks.

Think he was referring to Stormfiends.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
True nerds will notice that in the trailer, the council of thirteen didn't have an empty seat for the Horned rat :spergin:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grumio posted:

True nerds will notice that in the trailer, the council of thirteen didn't have an empty seat for the Horned rat :spergin:

Truer nerds know that the council sits at a long rectangular table. Empty seat at the head is for the Horned Rat in position thirteen. Position one is on his immediate right on the long side, for the second best skaven who I think is either the skryre dude, pestilens dude, or grey seer usually? Then twelve on his left side is third best, and so on. So the two dudes farther away can comfortably know they suck,

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Jastiger posted:

I'm pretty sure the "default" size is Large. What the game is balanced after I mean.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Good stuff, thanks.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Truer nerds know that the council sits at a long rectangular table. Empty seat at the head is for the Horned Rat in position thirteen. Position one is on his immediate right on the long side, for the second best skaven who I think is either the skryre dude, pestilens dude, or grey seer usually? Then twelve on his left side is third best, and so on. So the two dudes farther away can comfortably know they suck,

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Have they confirmed that Skrolk is the Pestilens legendary lord? Did I miss him being addressed by name in the cinematic? He looks like he could be Nurglitch.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I think this is skrolk

he matches the features of the one in the intro, and all the games news websites are saying skrolk and queek from like a press release

their redesign of him is much cooler than the model

edit: heres a screencap of the rattos from the intro

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 16, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grumio posted:

Then they would all be wrong. As there is an empty seat for the Horned Rat. It's the big red one with the green orb in front.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No the table is round I pretty sure. And while you are right about the positions of power. A interesting thing the skaven came up with to prevent the higher ranked people from getting away with too much is that if you are on the opposite side of the table from someone then you can veto them. So ideally they want a good relationship with the skaven opposite of them. The Horned Rat can't be vetoed as no one is opposite him.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
So i recently got the game and I dont have the iron will to search all 700+ pages of the thread for an answer, but is there any kind of fix for the campaign map lagging all to hell after a while? I was having a fun and good go of it but it just keeps getting laggier and laggier and its pretty much unplayable now. Its fine in battles and the main menu and stuff, but once I load up my campaign it chugs where as it was perfectly fine earlier in the game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Either your computer blows, or you have too many mods on. Try it without seeing the AI's turn.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

There were some issues with lag in the campaign map around the release of warhammer, I'd do some google searches. There's a TWC thread where they suggest enabling an FPS limit, maybe try vsync, idk. Plenty of people ran into that so you should be able to find a fix that works for you. Search for warhammer campaign map lag

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Cephalectomy posted:

So i recently got the game and I dont have the iron will to search all 700+ pages of the thread for an answer, but is there any kind of fix for the campaign map lagging all to hell after a while? I was having a fun and good go of it but it just keeps getting laggier and laggier and its pretty much unplayable now. Its fine in battles and the main menu and stuff, but once I load up my campaign it chugs where as it was perfectly fine earlier in the game.

That sounds like a memory leak. I don't have that problem, so without meaning to sound like a dick, is your comp older? Alternatively, are you running anything in the background while you play? Check the processes in the task manager to see if anything is making your disk or cpu chug.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 16, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also going by the Skaven Intro Thanquol has a role to play.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Where can i read all this lore stuff? I love Gotrek and Felix and all the stuff behind the armies, but i had no idea they had wrapped up stuff.

I also am sad i was on small or whatever. 30 men suck and are easily flanked. Maybe that explains why i have trouble with fast cav

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Serious props to CA for all of their redesigns, really talented folks over there.

Someone said it earlier in this thread and it's so drat true: "Games Workshop doesn't deserve CA"

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Where can i read all this lore stuff? I love Gotrek and Felix and all the stuff behind the armies, but i had no idea they had wrapped up stuff.

I also am sad i was on small or whatever. 30 men suck and are easily flanked. Maybe that explains why i have trouble with fast cav

1d4chan is how I caught up. Ignore the fact that it's associated with 4chan if you can. Type in The End Times and you'll get a well detailed article. Somewhere on there is even a breakdown of how everyone died, places like Cathay and Ind included.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also going by the Skaven Intro Thanquol has a role to play.

there's a suggestion going round that he'll be part of one of those x vs x style lord dlcs. he's had run ins with the lizardmen before, and just about everyone else

edit: i wonder if the popularity of total war will get games workshop to bring back osme of the characters they killed off? ive got no interest in the tabletop game but i can see someone playing the game and wanting a little queek statue or something.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Thanquol vs Morgan Bernhadt.

Shadow of the Horned Rat redux.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

there's a suggestion going round that he'll be part of one of those x vs x style lord dlcs. he's had run ins with the lizardmen before, and just about everyone else

edit: i wonder if the popularity of total war will get games workshop to bring back osme of the characters they killed off? ive got no interest in the tabletop game but i can see someone playing the game and wanting a little queek statue or something.

The minis look like dog poo poo mostly though. They mostly look like they were in the Korgoth of Barbaria episode, with some notable exceptions. Except there are some with good paint jobs done by hobbyists.

The TW:W models look really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

If/when Gotrek and Felix get added, he's be a pretty perfect FLC or part of the DLC. It would also be perfectly reasonable for all three of them to appear in both games.

• Locked thread