Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

evilweasel posted:

republicans are starting to admit there's no way in hell tax reform happens

https://twitter.com/ylanmui/status/897942235114647552

of course it isnt. and we probaly wont have a loving budget either and will probaly have shutdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes. Engage in a training regimen that will take *years* to bear fruit - and take months to research the providers in your area who are honest. If someone teaching you ~martial arts~ tells you that it'll enable you to take on someone who has fifty pounds and six inches of reach on you - congratulations - you've wasted your money on a huckster as bad as Donald Trump.

Buy a collapsible baton and get an old tire. Hit that loving thing until your arm is solid enough and used to the impact of metal on hard galvanized rubber. If you absolutely *must* feel like you have to study an "art" in self-defense, shop around for Krav Maga classes, and talk to the instructor first. Ask him what he can *realistically* teach you given your *current physical condition*. If he tells you you'll be able to "KICK ANYBODY'S rear end" or anything of that vernacular, leave.

If you get into a fight with someone who is determined to maim or kill you, it is never down to how well you fight, but how quickly you can *end* that fight. That doesn't mean "knocking the motherfucker out." That means going for the balls, gouging at eyes, boxing and literally trying to tear off ears, and taking out loving kneecaps. And that's what you do *only* if you cannot run away or you are being forced into a potentially lethal confrontation.

There's a lot of bad loving advice all around today with regards to self-defense - and people need to shut the gently caress up about things they likely have no personal experience with.

This is like 50 pages ago but bears repeating because it's good advice.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
I am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood. I had, as I now think, vainly flattered myself that without very much bloodshed it might be done.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

I think I've figured out where we can store all those racist monuments. Somewhere out of the way with lots of empty storage space, that we can just lock up and it'll be forgotten for decades.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
^^^^ Geraldo's head?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Incredible how they were several paces away from anyone that wasn't a facist and let he magically got sprayed.

Hilariously pathetic.

Not only that but the pepper SPRAY seemed to remain entirely focused on one individual who was prepared and ready to take it and literally no one else in the vicinity.

What really gets me is that 4chan wants to have it both ways; they want to tag random people for assault with a bike lock and running people down with a car, but they also want to "mysteriously" be blind to who could've maced this poor innocent Nazi gently caress.

Kale
May 14, 2010

SirPablo posted:

Trump is holding a rally here in Phoenix next Tuesday. Looking like large protest will also take place. We have a thread for participating in events like this?

Also known as the biweekly trump shits the bed and needs his dick sucked by his base when everyone tells him why he sucks again rally. How many rallies did Obama have in his first year? Any?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Sovereign Citizens and Neo-Nazis are two different groups, so yes.

I think you'll find a lot of overlap in that vienn diagram.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Can you really do the sledgehammer + tire thing with a collapsible baton?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lemon King posted:

Oh hey look. Lee's views on Confederate Monuments.
https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/897938853859921920

So Robert E. Lee had less of an attachment to the Confederacy than modern day Republicans do?

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

I think I've figured out where we can store all those racist monuments. Somewhere out of the way with lots of empty storage space, that we can just lock up and it'll be forgotten for decades.

:drat:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ague Proof posted:

I'm hoping this is a Capone's vault reference. If so, :golfclap:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mr Interweb posted:

So Robert E. Lee had less of an attachment to the Confederacy than modern day Republicans do?

Lee killed American soldiers in the name of the Confederacy. Republicans haven't done that.... Yet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Break it to me straight, US-goons: The councils that disbanded today, were they important in the long run? Or were they just for show?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah. the american civil war redefined how americans conceptualized america. before the war people were more likely to think of themselves as residents of a city, state, or region and not "i am an american". so even after the war former confederates didn't really hold on to their confederate identity versus just going back to a virginian or whatever. and remember lee spent more time serving in the united states army than the confederate army. for a lot of these guys it was just a particularly ugly four years, they didn't have decades of lost cause excuses glorifying the confederacy. they were there, they fought, they lost, they moved on

Wark Say posted:

Break it to me straight, US-goons: The councils that disbanded today, were they important in the long run? Or were they just for show?

just for show, which is why it's extra dumb that trump couldn't even keep the symbolic advisory councils intact without tycoons of industry feeling the need to publicly distance themselves from the president of the united states

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 17, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

honestly if you're really convinced the right is going to burst into your home and kill you in your sleep, buy a shot guy and just be prepared you're probably going to murk your child that just wet the bed.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wark Say posted:

Just for show, AFAIK

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Wark Say posted:

their most significant achievements were giving the president a nice press conference and creating some letterhead. unlike the opioid commission, they've done close to nothing.

them being disbanded does threaten trump's self-image as a economic genius, though

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

It's always good to remember that Trump always lies. The man is literally incapable of telling the truth.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Can you really do the sledgehammer + tire thing with a collapsible baton?

It's just a pell, dude. Same thing people have been beating with sticks to learn how to deliver a blow with a handheld weapon for millennia.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Robert E Lee basically chose the side his state ended up on as far as I've ever been able to tell

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Columbus's arrival didn't "ignite" genocide incidentally, Columbus was literally a committer of genocide and absolutely should not be honored.

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/zinncol1.html

Although a bad human being, I'm a little skeptical that CC and his occupation force personally murdered 3 million people.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

There Bias Two posted:

Just for show, AFAIK
So Easy D's earlier twitter freakout about disbanding them was just because a bunch of rich dudes (most, if not all of which are way richer than our big-handed fellow) basically turned their back on him.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

It's just a pell, dude. Same thing people have been beating with sticks to learn how to deliver a blow with a handheld weapon for millennia.

Christ if you haven't felt a collapsible baton before they're scary as hell. They fit anywhere and they are loving solid. They're definitely a deadly weapon. Someone told me once to just whack someone in the collarbone with it and they'll be down for the count for a few months.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pumpinglemma posted:

No, any argument along those lines is called a "heckler's veto" (because it would allow anyone to suppress anyone else's speech by being sufficiently violent) and is essentially never a valid argument in First Amendment law. For Brandenburg vs. Ohio, the speech itself has to call for imminent lawless action - it's an extremely hard standard to meet. For example "This guy's house should be burned down" is protected speech but "Let's burn this guy's house down now" is not. In other words, the decision is a ridiculous crock of poo poo that removes any possibility of meaningful incitement charges for anything short of standing at the head of an angry mob and shouting orders.

I disagree that it's a bad decision. It abolished nasty laws that had been used with thin justification to ban all sorts of speech on the grounds that it advocated for something illegal.

Where I think the law falls down these days is failing to seriously wrestle with the nature of generalized threats of violence. It's not a first amendment issue for me to ban threatening to kill you. However it is a first amendment issue to ban marchers from brandishing weapons and calling generally, vaugely in the future, to kill the blacks/jews/etc. I don't think that should be punished as incitement: that should be punished as a threat. But first amendment law has been slow to recognize where speech is an explicit or implicit threat of violence and is made precisely to convey that threat in a general sense rather than a specific sense.

There are far too many cases where it is appropriate to call for the breaking of the law and it is only appropriate to punish actually breaking the law. That's not a path we want to go down. But there is no similar problem with weighing the speech being made for threatening content: if you want to march calling for white racial superiority, you can't have guns, torches, implements of violence, or what-have-you. I think that's a much better distinction to draw - both in that it's punishing the right thing, and that it has much less potential to be abused.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

boner confessor posted:

yeah. the american civil war redefined how americans conceptualized america. before the war people were more likely to think of themselves as residents of a city, state, or region and not "i am an american". and remember lee spent more time serving in the united states army than the confederate army. for a lot of these guys it was just a particularly ugly four years, they didn't have decades of lost cause excuses glorifying the confederacy. they were there, they fought, they lost, they moved on

The usual line I hear about this is that before the civil war, someone would say "the United States are..."; whereas afterwards they would say "the United States is..."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Nikeyg1/status/897950986416906241

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kaal posted:

It's always good to remember that Trump always lies. The man is literally incapable of telling the truth.

i dunno he was pretty truthful about his racial opinions yesterday

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wark Say posted:

So Easy D's earlier twitter freakout about disbanding them was just because a bunch of rich dudes (most, if not all of which are way richer than our big-handed fellow) basically turned their back on him.

Well yeah. He sells himself as a brilliant businessperson and they just turned their backs on him.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Interweb posted:

Their white identity politics completely count on a Confederacy Mattering. They've been screaming the South will rise for centuries at this point and the more statues and monuments fall, the less they have to hold onto - you know, other than their racism, their belief that slavery wasn't that bad, their confederate memorabilia printed by the thousands, their clan sheets from grandpa. Also likely their weird family cargo cult items like my great grand aunt's belief that we were related to Stonewall Jackson and the proof was in a lock of hair she kept in a necklace.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

QuoProQuid posted:

their most significant achievements were giving the president a nice press conference and creating some letterhead. unlike the opioid commission, they've done close to nothing.

them being disbanded does threaten trump's self-image as a economic genius, though
Ah, so it was all about the grandstanding, then.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

https://youtu.be/unriqs4qp0M

I hope everyone has seen this ac360 panel where they just attack Paris Dennard until he melts down.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Glumslinger posted:

Better than the previous one who was way too loving communicative

Mooch talking about Bannons party trick has been by far the best thing to come out of this administration.

Condiv posted:

the producers (original version) is a good move

was the remake any good?

Stage musical was superior to the original. Movie of the musical wasn't adapted very well.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Nostalgia Chick (I know) did a really good video about how literally every single "anti-nazi" movie gets co-opted by nazis because it makes them look cool and everyone loves darth vaders and how literally the only big movie that doesn't is the producers because it's all nazi jokes but not one single bit makes nazis look good or emulatable.

Even Inglorious Basterds?

Kaal posted:

It's pretty obvious that you're not really paying attention to the criticism being levied about it in this thread, much less the wider world. Be honest and admit that since you, like everyone else, don't have any details about the show, then you can't really levy a broad indictment about how it is a "whitewash" in ways that Handmaid's Tale is not. This is just dumb.

You do get that showing a modern day confederacy that isn't just a pile of flaming rubble and weeds is whitewashing by default? The confederacy was a failed state that had no means to win, or to survive as a nation if it did. Any show that presents a modern confederacy as a government not propped up by the US is giving them too much credit already.

theflyingorc posted:

The answer to "how do we beat Trump in 2020" is to not "run" anyone. Let it be an actual primary, don't put your finger on the scale at all, and the winner shouldn't come out tainted.

I think this is probably what's going to happen.

How about instead you stop pushing this whiny "thumb on the scales" b.s. the Russians and the nazis fed you, and you don't throw a tantrum if you don't get the outcome you want?

I still maintain Cornell West should be punched for being a disingenuous poo poo who advocated for Jill Stein.

Aaaand we have reached the perfection of loss.jpg

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Christ if you haven't felt a collapsible baton before they're scary as hell. They fit anywhere and they are loving solid. They're definitely a deadly weapon. Someone told me once to just whack someone in the collarbone with it and they'll be down for the count for a few months.

Which is why they are illegal in most states except for cops to use.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah, they're pretty vicious. A couple feet of metal with a ball tip does a really drat good job of transferring force, and fits in your pocket.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Wark Say posted:

not even grandstanding, just "We, the CEOs of America, pledge to work with President Trump to Do Jobs Or Whatever" and trump loving blew that up like a giant rear end in a top hat

Data Graham posted:

The usual line I hear about this is that before the civil war, someone would say "the United States are..."; whereas afterwards they would say "the United States is..."

yeah. and this is just a point of historical trivia really except for the fact that it underlines how loving dumb people nowadays are when they're more attached to the confederacy than people who actually suffered through the war and lost limbs in it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Subvisual Haze posted:

Although a bad human being, I'm a little skeptical that CC and his occupation force personally murdered 3 million people.

Lines up with the population decline in the Congo Free State under Leopold II. The numbers might be exaggerated but it isn't at all outside the realm of historical parallels.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wark Say posted:

and getting pictures of trump surrounded by competent people

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There were a bunch of those batons being carried by the Nazi people.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:vince:

Jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/897963087604715521

• Locked thread