Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also if you're really worried about grammar, don't end a sentence with a preposition
That's a dumb rule that no one actually follows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there an easy way to download all of the Harmontown videos? They're on a word press site, and each video is on it's own individual link 1 webpage deep.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

When's the last time you saw a Walmart and a Whole Foods in the same shopping center? They serve two totally separate markets.

I'd thought that Amazon might become able to deliver food to far-flung houses, in the long term, which could better serve a large portion of the people who are stuck shopping at Wal-mart if they offered a generic Amazon brand. I'm probably expecting too much of Amazon's supply chain. Their poo poo sounds positively utopian compared to my dried out and ice-damaged produce.

LLSix posted:

Whole Foods does not compete on price. It is unlikely to be an effective platform for competing with Walmart on price. In my amateur opinion, Walmart is likely to remain strong for at least five years. I would be surprised if they weren't still a significant presence in 20 years.

Even if Amazon does ever figure out online grocery shopping, they're going to have a very, very tough time displacing Walmart. There are lots of small towns where Walmart is the largest store in town and/or the only big box store in town. Walmart also already has razor thin margins and notoriously low worker compensation. It's going to be hard to undercut them in any meaningful way.

Most people in tech are anticipating significant disruptions in most businesses over the next few decades. So far, groceries have been notably resistant to disruption.

This feels like a good take. I guess my worry now is that as Wal-mart is restricted to the countryside, stores and infrastructure will become more understaffed and the supply chain will become more hosed and incompetent than it already is, and what that will mean for anyone who actually has to take responsibility for it. The company culture, as I've experienced it, is to deny that they are getting owned and generate tons of activity regardless of productivity. It could be hell if I got a job that's actually difficult.

greazeball posted:

There's The Retail Collapse of 2017: Murdered by Amazonians and The fall of unicorns: iThread covering different business stories in D&D and there may be something else in BFC.

Thanks! D&D, I shoulda known.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tiggum posted:

While it is a dumb rule, tons of folks still follow it and it's even being taught in a few schools still.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tiggum posted:

It's no more or less dumb than any other rule about grammar, especially when the guy was asking how to get it right, presumably for a context where the impression it gives matters.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

i before e, except after c, and if the word is science, sufficient and species and a whole host of other words

grammer., defiantly SUCKS!!!

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 16, 2017

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I couldn't find a general astronomy thread or subforum, so I'll ask here: is there anywhere left to order eclipse glasses from, that can deliver fast? I thought my wife had ordered some but it turns out her order was cancelled.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's no more or less dumb than any other rule about grammar, especially when the guy was asking how to get it right, presumably for a context where the impression it gives matters.

"Grammar" in one sense means the structural rules of the syntax and morphology of a language. In this sense, "don't end a sentence with a preposition" is highly dumb, since no such rule exists for English.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The rule really is that a preposition has to have an object, but that only ever happens when someone uses a preposition to end a sentence with.

Find the object of "with" in that sentence.

Taking the word out does not change the meaning or clarity of the sentence in any way.

Add "disregard for the rules" as the object right after it and now it's useful.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jackpot posted:

I couldn't find a general astronomy thread or subforum, so I'll ask here: is there anywhere left to order eclipse glasses from, that can deliver fast? I thought my wife had ordered some but it turns out her order was cancelled.

Get a piece of glass, put a lighter under it to get it all sooty.

I don't guarantee it will protect your eyes, so you know, you might go blind.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

jackpot posted:

Can you google "cityname eclipse glasses free"? For example, the bookstore on my campus is giving them out for free. Ask your friends on facebook if they know of any?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

jackpot posted:

Might want to try hitting the local big box stores, I've seen them in odd places. Extra points if you have a science museum nearby.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

jackpot posted:

Round here it seems every hardware store, gas station, mini mart and lemonade stand is selling some variety of disposable cardboard eclipse viewing glasses. Now, I will not vouch for either the quality or safety of these products, but they are readily available.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

The rule really is that a preposition has to have an object, but that only ever happens when someone uses a preposition to end a sentence with.

Find the object of "with" in that sentence.

Taking the word out does not change the meaning or clarity of the sentence in any way.

Add "disregard for the rules" as the object right after it and now it's useful.

The object of "with" in that sentence is "a preposition" and you're talking complete nonsense

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tiggum posted:

its not even a rule at all.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

CzarChasm posted:

Now, I will not vouch for either the quality or safety of these products, but they are readily available.
That's sort of the problem - I can find them in plenty of places, but I don't want to buy something that's no different from a pair of dollar store shades. Guess I'll look at local stores and just try to google before I buy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The AAS has a site that calls out known-good manufacturers and sellers.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ras Het posted:

The object of "with" in that sentence is "a preposition" and you're talking complete nonsense

stylistically he has a point, if you remove the "with" from the end of that sentence the meaning is just as clear. but its not a grammatical "rule"

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Ras Het posted:

"preposition" is already the object of "uses" I think. I mean I guess no one is going to enforce this stuff

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR7kVDwGiRg&t=130s

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Earwicker posted:

stylistically he has a point, if you remove the "with" from the end of that sentence the meaning is just as clear. but its not a grammatical "rule"

Perhaps, but I think that's a really irrelevant point to make. There's no platonic form of a sentence where meaning is as clear as it can be, with nothing extraneous

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ras Het posted:

Perhaps, but I think that's a really irrelevant point to make. There's no platonic form of a sentence where meaning is as clear as it can be, with nothing extraneous

well no not universally, but when writing in certain contexts (certain forms of professional and commercial writing for example) removing anything extraneous is generally considered good form. but like i said its style not grammar.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 16, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

he came awfully close to getting out his shinebox

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Yeah true, but I think the way schools and popular discourse pushes these specific stylistic ideas does more harm than good, because it gives people these really weird, counterproductive ideas about language and communication

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I stand corrected, enjoyed reading about the history of that perceived "rule," and ended a sentence in another thread with a natural-sounding preposition not 15 minutes later. :v:

I still think "to whom we spoke" sounds better than "whom we spoke to" in that context though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ras Het posted:

Yeah true, but I think the way schools and popular discourse pushes these specific stylistic ideas does more harm than good, because it gives people these really weird, counterproductive ideas about language and communication

speaking of communication i've been trying to figure out basic Finnish and it is breaking me

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

It's very simple. 956 is yhdeksänsataaviisikymmentäkuusi, while 956th is yhdeksässadasviideskymmeneskuudes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
:siren: PLEASE DO NOT LOOK AT THE ECLIPSE WITH SOMETHING YOU BOUGHT FROM A GAS STATION :siren:

Get a welding mask or welding goggles with RATING 14 inserts. No less than 14. Something that is rated for high-amperage arc welding or carbon arc welding.

edit: VVV yes, do that preferably, anything that replaces you looking at the sun with you looking at an image of the sun is always going to be safer.

Memento fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 16, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This is reliably safe:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm going to use binoculars to get a decent look at the eclipse, but they're tinted so it'll be alright

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If I wasn't meant to look at the sun, why do I have eyes, doctor smartypants?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

I'm going to use binoculars to get a decent look at the eclipse, but they're tinted so it'll be alright

Hey dumbass the sun is a star. Use a telescope.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My vision is bad so I'm gonna take my glasses off and squint

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'll never forget the first eclipse I saw as an adult. I was 22 or 21, and it was in the UK. The sky was so overcast, I had to pull over and ask some van removal guys the direction to the sun, cause there were just dark clouds everywhere and it was impossible to see. Was a pretty fun and memorable experience. My friend and I caught a glimpse of the eclipse through the clouds cruising down the motorway at 70mph, good times.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hey dumbass the sun is a star. Use a telescope.

it's 2017, the sun is a sun.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Q8ee posted:

All you have to do is use them backwards, idiot.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jackpot posted:

Order welding glass from lowes, it'll work just as well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Turtlicious posted:

Order welding glass from lowes, it'll work just as well.

If you don't have 14-rated glass inserts you will damage your eyes.

Read the relevant OSHA standard here (PDF warning) so that you know what to ask for. If you go to a welding supply store and say "I need welding glass for Carbon Arc Welding" then they will sell you inserts that you can use to look at the sun.

You should still just use a camera obscura.

The number of yokel blindings is going to be in the hundreds. People will look at it when it's in totality and go "oooh aaah" and then it flashes out from the side again and your eyes aren't adjusted for it. Please don't add to those numbers, gentle Goons.

Memento fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 17, 2017

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is reliably safe:

And where the gently caress do you expect me to get a box?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

If you don't have 14-rated glass inserts you will damage your eyes.

Read the relevant OSHA standard here (PDF warning) so that you know what to ask for. If you go to a welding supply store and say "I need welding glass for Carbon Arc Welding" then they will sell you inserts that you can use to look at the sun.

You should still just use a camera obscura.

The number of yokel blindings is going to be in the hundreds. People will look at it when it's in totality and go "oooh aaah" and then it flashes out from the side again and your eyes aren't adjusted for it. Please don't add to those numbers, gentle Goons.
Ah poo poo, I got #10's gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's no more or less dumb than any other rule about grammar
Some grammar rules are definitely less dumb than others. For example, "Which one is more good?" sounds dumb but "Who did you speak to?" sounds fine. Advising someone to say "better" rather than "more good" is helpful. Advising someone to say "To whom did you speak?" is unhelpful unless they're trying to sound pretentious.

Earwicker posted:

its not even a rule at all.
Depends what you mean by "rule", I guess? It's not a rule in the sense that there's anyone officially enforcing it, but that goes for all grammatical "rules".

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I still think "to whom we spoke" sounds better than "whom we spoke to" in that context though.
In most contexts, "the person we spoke to" is probably going to sound better to most people than "the person to whom we spoke" though. You don't need "who" or "whom" at all there. You do need a "who/whom/that" is Vegetable's original example, but I don't think it makes much difference which you choose. :shrug: