Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MikeJF posted:

When you say take notes, do you mean writable stylus support?

Honestly my thought process hasn't gotten that far. Either that or a keyboard, but I suppose a tablet definitionally doesnt have one?

I spend a lot of time going places (that don't necessarily have electric outlets) and taking notes once I get there on paper pads and then typing the notes up when I return, so I'd like to short cut that process if possible, not picky how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The Surface line is sort of the standard for notes taking in a slick form factor, but that's Windows and can a little pricy after factoring in the keyboard. On the other hand, Android doesn't really have the same depth in terms of having a pen/keyboard and notes software integrated into its function. The state of Android tablets is pretty dire overall. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you considered a notepad and a pen?

EDIT: Didn't see this page.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Honestly my thought process hasn't gotten that far. Either that or a keyboard, but I suppose a tablet definitionally doesnt have one?

I spend a lot of time going places (that don't necessarily have electric outlets) and taking notes once I get there on paper pads and then typing the notes up when I return, so I'd like to short cut that process if possible, not picky how.

There's a million options for standalone bluetooth keyboards in a variety of form factors, or many option for keyboard covers. If you want to keep the form factor smaller I'd try to find something with a keyboard cover, otherwise pick a tablet you like and buy a standalone keyboard. I have one that folds that stays relatively small, but would add to thickness.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...d=1SH9ZEWXQ27C8

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

If you want android with a stylus Samsung got yo back http://www.techradar.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-tab-s3

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any thoughts on the Yoga Book (windows or Android) for web browsing, video watching an occasional typing?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

isndl posted:

The Surface line is sort of the standard for notes taking in a slick form factor, but that's Windows and can a little pricy after factoring in the keyboard. On the other hand, Android doesn't really have the same depth in terms of having a pen/keyboard and notes software integrated into its function. The state of Android tablets is pretty dire overall. :shrug:

u fink u hard Percy posted:

If you want android with a stylus Samsung got yo back http://www.techradar.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-tab-s3

Hrm, now I'm conflicted; maybe I'll just get a surface and connect it up with my steam account. Tough call.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I wouldn't blame you if you did - that's exactly what I did! Android is simply a phone OS to me now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
On further thought and research: from what i can figure out, what I really want is basically the cancelled Surface Mini -- basically a portable electronic moleskine. What's the closest available equivalent?

Sorry I keep asking new questions, y'all are helping me refine it what I actually want. As tempting as the surface book is from a gadgetry perspective it's too big, I need jacket pocket size at the largest, like 4 x 7 inches or so.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
At those dimensions you're basically looking for one of those XL phones or a phablet. Maybe try asking in the Android thread.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

On further thought and research: from what i can figure out, what I really want is basically the cancelled Surface Mini -- basically a portable electronic moleskine. What's the closest available equivalent?

Sorry I keep asking new questions, y'all are helping me refine it what I actually want. As tempting as the surface book is from a gadgetry perspective it's too big, I need jacket pocket size at the largest, like 4 x 7 inches or so.

This one is older, but was the first thing to come to mind. I'm not recalling many other 8" tablets with "real" stylus support.

https://www.windowscentral.com/unboxing-toshiba-encore-2-write-tablet-wacom

Looks like there was also a Venue 8 Pro with Active stylus support.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln287170/using-a-stylus-with-dell-venue-tablets?lang=en

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Those 8" Atom tablets were low-end when they came out and would not be pleasant to use now. The pen on the Venue 8 Pro in particular was also hot garbage, to the point where Dell just scrubbed all mention of stylus support from their marketing materials.

If pocket size and stylus support are both hard requirements, it sounds like a Galaxy Note is probably the best choice. Stylus support on Android isn't fantastic, but OneNote supports Samsung's pen and that's all you really need if you're not already tied into Evernote or something.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 26, 2017

mem
Sep 1, 2005
I'm looking for a tablet to do my web-surfing and watch Netflix and directv. I have unlimited data and hotspot on my phone so I just need WiFi. Decent speakers, screen, and battery are what I am looking for. Also, I don't want it chugging trying to play video or load a webpage.

Price isn't really a concern but I've left the Apple ecosystem and I'm not too hot on Samsung products right now (I've had to replace my phone a few times under warranty for the same issue with the digitizer).

I was looking at the Yoga Tab 3 Plus, seems to be made for my use case. Any admonishments about Lenovo tablets or other suggestions?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
As far as note taking goes, do most tablets have the option to turn off touch response when the stylus is being used? Does that require a specific type of stylus in order to work? It's pretty obnoxious trying to take notes while your hand hovers over the screen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tablets with real non-capacitive styluses should all implement palm rejection.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

mem posted:

I was looking at the Yoga Tab 3 Plus, seems to be made for my use case. Any admonishments about Lenovo tablets or other suggestions?

Are you the guy who bought the other one (of two) listed by Newegg on eBay? Because I panicked and bought the last remaining one, the price seemed too good for a new unit and these seem to somehow be rare (especially in Canada).

I spent a lot of time thinking about a tablet to replace my aging HDX 7, something with actual better specs and a better screen, and an unlockable bootloader with decent ROM support. Also it needs better Bluetooth support, and front speakers would be nice.

The Yoga Tab 3 plus seems to fit all of those requirements even though Lenovo has a history of abandoning their devices software-wise after they come out. But the bootloader is unlockable, LineageOS 14.1 is available (check this thread over at XDA, so who cares if Lenovo has abandoned this and their other devices.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So I'm eyeing purchasing an inexpensive Android tablet. Everything I own is Apple, but I work at the public library and end up helping a lot of seniors with Android tablets/phones so having one at home to play around with would be valuable.

My uses would be pretty simple stuff, games like Final Fantasy Record Keeper/Final Fantasy Brave Exvius mostly. Maybe some Hearthstone. A little web browsing on the couch. I'm used to playing these on my iPhone 6s so I'm hoping to get something that won't look notably choppier/worse if that's a potential problem?

I'd like to keep it around $300 CAD or less if possible, cheaper is better of course. For $430 CAD I could buy one of the new iPads.

After a little googling the Nvidia Shield looked great, but it seems to be impossible to find in stock. The Lenovo Tab 4 8" was available on Lenovo's web store a couple days ago, but not the Tab 4 Plus that I really wanted. I'm leaning toward waiting on the Tab 4 Plus being available.

Am I on the right path waiting on the Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus?

Edit: Would the Tab 4 8 regular be sufficient for what I'm looking to do? That $179.99 CAD price is incredible.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 9, 2017

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

So I'm eyeing purchasing an inexpensive Android tablet. Everything I own is Apple, but I work at the public library and end up helping a lot of seniors with Android tablets/phones so having one at home to play around with would be valuable.

My uses would be pretty simple stuff, games like Final Fantasy Record Keeper/Final Fantasy Brave Exvius mostly. Maybe some Hearthstone. A little web browsing on the couch. I'm used to playing these on my iPhone 6s so I'm hoping to get something that won't look notably choppier/worse if that's a potential problem?

I'd like to keep it around $300 CAD or less if possible, cheaper is better of course. For $430 CAD I could buy one of the new iPads.

After a little googling the Nvidia Shield looked great, but it seems to be impossible to find in stock. The Lenovo Tab 4 8" was available on Lenovo's web store a couple days ago, but not the Tab 4 Plus that I really wanted. I'm leaning toward waiting on the Tab 4 Plus being available.

Edit: Would the Tab 4 8 regular be sufficient for what I'm looking to do? That $179.99 CAD price is incredible.

When I was searching for an Android tablet, the best one not named Pixel that I could find was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-MediaPad-Marshmallow-Moonlight-Warranty/dp/B01LB08BH6

Full aluminum body seems like a nice thing to have

e: i've seen it on sale a few times for less. getting closer to black friday there is always a chance of something new coming out. iPads are a lot better machines for the price right now though. The A9/A10 chips are just killing it. I may have a ~3 month old 32GB WiFi version for sale in a month if I decide to upgrade to the new Pro 10.5 if you are ok with a ~3 month old used one.

Setset fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 9, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BGrifter posted:

Amazon Fire HD 8 isn't pure Android, but it's dirt cheap and you can sideload the Google Play store on it easily

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lube banjo posted:

iPads are a lot better machines for the price right now though. The A9/A10 chips are just killing it.

Yeah if I can't come up with an option that satisfies I'll just go with another iPad. It'll play nice with my phone/Mac/Apple TV and I know I'll be happy with it. I just like the idea of having an Android device around to experiment with so I can be a little more comfortable troubleshooting them at work. Right now I can muddle through just fine most of the time, but there's no familiarity so I find myself digging through Settings menus looking for stuff in a way I don't have to with iOS devices.

I looked at a Kindle Fire but that kind of runs contrary to the whole work angle given Amazon doesn't sell them in Canada (so I never see them at work) and they seem to run a custom version of Android. The Huawei tablet is interesting but also $600 on Amazon.ca so that's way out of the price range I'm aiming for.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
wish i found this thread before i brought this samsung galaxy tab A.

never buy the recommended samsung product from micro center. that loving kid is lucky he already got fired.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Hopefully this is the right thread.

My brother in law needs a device that he can use to write his thesis and to do data analysis while on the road. Ideally, it would be something that could easily sync with his desktop but that he could use while commuting or when he's in the field, miles away from civilization. He's currently eyeing a Surface Pro but at $1400.00 I'm thinking there must be a better option, especially given their reliability. He said he doesn't need a powerful laptop since he's got a good PC.

He doesn't like Apple's interface. I was thinking he should go with a good chromebook or Android tablet but I'm not sure how that would work when he has limited internet connectivity.

Any suggestions?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

isndl posted:

At those dimensions you're basically looking for one of those XL phones or a phablet. Maybe try asking in the Android thread.

isndl posted:

I ended up getting a refurb Surface Book after all and so far it's working out pretty well. Thanks thread!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What's a tablet that's sub 300 that will be decent enough for web browsing/Netflix/Hulu/YouTube?

I know there are yoga tab 4s now, but the yoga tab 3 10 looks like a decent price, is it a good option for $180?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
Any cheap tablets that will let me play a bunch of music of an sd card and maybe stream pandora? I need 6 of them to work as cheap music stations in classrooms. The cheapest I am seeing is the amazon fire ones and then I need to figure out how to root them but since my need is so basic anything that is more plug and play that anyone could recommend? Trying to keep them as cheap as possible., thanks.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not germane to anyone's recent requests, but I had to set up an old iPad Air first gen that my mom gave away to a family member after a recent family visit, and it actually worked out pretty good. NetFlix, iTunes, Youtube etc all worked quite well. Not sure if they're cheap but it was an entirely usable device for non-power computing.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

king of the bongo posted:

Any cheap tablets that will let me play a bunch of music of an sd card and maybe stream pandora? I need 6 of them to work as cheap music stations in classrooms. The cheapest I am seeing is the amazon fire ones and then I need to figure out how to root them but since my need is so basic anything that is more plug and play that anyone could recommend? Trying to keep them as cheap as possible., thanks.

If you just need to play mp3s off a SD card and the pandora app you don't even need to root the fire tablets. The 7 inch ones should work fine.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Mouse Cadet posted:

If you just need to play mp3s off a SD card and the pandora app you don't even need to root the fire tablets. The 7 inch ones should work fine.

thanks a bunch!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would like a tablet to get some volunteer work done in the field. It's also got to run ie8 thru virtual machine. Is this doable?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What's the current recommendation for a low-end tablet to run an e-reader app and not much else? I've been looking at the Amazon Fire tablets but would prefer something closer to stock Android.

Looking for cheap-and-cheerful; hoping to avoid cheap-and-nasty.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

What's the current recommendation for a low-end tablet to run an e-reader app and not much else? I've been looking at the Amazon Fire tablets but would prefer something closer to stock Android.

Looking for cheap-and-cheerful; hoping to avoid cheap-and-nasty.

Fire 8 HD is insanely cheap and the Google play app is simple to install. When I tried to figure this out two weeks ago it boiled down to paying an extra $100 to get something comparable to a fire hd 8 with pure android and that just seemed silly. Having used the fire for a week now, I don't miss stock android at all.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Fire 8 HD is insanely cheap and the Google play app is simple to install. When I tried to figure this out two weeks ago it boiled down to paying an extra $100 to get something comparable to a fire hd 8 with pure android and that just seemed silly. Having used the fire for a week now, I don't miss stock android at all.

Adding the google store is literally downloading 4 files and installing them. Boom - full android tablet for 60 bucks.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Posting from an Amazon Fire HD8 I just bought today. Spent some time to hack it into an android tablet. Didn't take very long and was super easy. Installing the Google play store was 4 files. I then installed Launcher Hijack v3 and Nova Launcher to remove the crappy Amazon interface for what is basically a stock Android one and it just worked instantly with no setup. A few things required me to plug the tablet into my computer and run a command prompt program. Removing the ads from the lock screen, and enabling the use of widgets was done this way. The instructions are on the internet and easy to follow. Installed all the default Google programs and some games. The only thing that doesn't work is Gmail, which crashes, but the Amazon email app can tie into my Gmail account and everything else works fine. Super happy with this inexpensive purchase so far.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My wife is looking for a cheap Android tablet for simple stuff like reading, watching videos, and running some apps. I was thinking of getting her a Fire HD 8 but she thinks it's too small for her. Can the Fire HD 10 be converted to stock Android easily, too? (Although I might have trouble finding an HD 10 since Amazon seems to be out of stock at the moment. Were they discontinued?)

fake edit: If she wants to "go legit" and not have a hacked tablet, what would be the best out-of-the-box solution for her?

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 5, 2017

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Desperate and broke down and bought a TAB A on sale through the amazon warehouse. I wouldn't pay more than the 100 bucks it was worth and there has to be a better way for good, near ASOP tablets for $300 bucks (my target budget for a good tablet).

incoherent fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 5, 2017

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

DizzyBum posted:

My wife is looking for a cheap Android tablet for simple stuff like reading, watching videos, and running some apps. I was thinking of getting her a Fire HD 8 but she thinks it's too small for her. Can the Fire HD 10 be converted to stock Android easily, too? (Although I might have trouble finding an HD 10 since Amazon seems to be out of stock at the moment. Were they discontinued?)

fake edit: If she wants to "go legit" and not have a hacked tablet, what would be the best out-of-the-box solution for her?

Took me like 30 minutes to hack my HD 8 to be virtually indistinguishable from stock android. The process for the HD 10 is the same. However, if that's a no go, check out the Lenovo Tab 4 10.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Praxis Prion posted:

Took me like 30 minutes to hack my HD 8 to be virtually indistinguishable from stock android. The process for the HD 10 is the same. However, if that's a no go, check out the Lenovo Tab 4 10.

Is there a guide that you followed?

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

accipter posted:

Is there a guide that you followed?

How to Install the Google Play Store on the Amazon Fire Tablet or Fire HD 8
https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

How to Use a Different Home Screen Launcher on the Amazon Fire Tablet (Without Rooting It)
https://www.howtogeek.com/270022/how-to-use-a-different-home-screen-launcher-on-the-amazon-fire-tablet-without-rooting-it/

Launcher Hijack V3 - https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/launcher-root-launcher-hijack-v2-t3561026
Nova Launcher - http://novalauncher.com/

How to: Remove lock screen ads on Fire tablet in 5 minutes! (7th generation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPdMJGsskUY

NO ROOT REQUIRED: Use widgets in your preferred launcher
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/general/root-required-widgets-preferred-launcher-t3637813

Forums for resources on the HD 8 and 10
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Praxis Prion posted:

How to Install the Google Play Store on the Amazon Fire Tablet or Fire HD 8
https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

How to Use a Different Home Screen Launcher on the Amazon Fire Tablet (Without Rooting It)
https://www.howtogeek.com/270022/how-to-use-a-different-home-screen-launcher-on-the-amazon-fire-tablet-without-rooting-it/

Launcher Hijack V3 - https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/launcher-root-launcher-hijack-v2-t3561026
Nova Launcher - http://novalauncher.com/

How to: Remove lock screen ads on Fire tablet in 5 minutes! (7th generation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPdMJGsskUY

NO ROOT REQUIRED: Use widgets in your preferred launcher
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/general/root-required-widgets-preferred-launcher-t3637813

Forums for resources on the HD 8 and 10
https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Just cracked the screen on my old N7, so now I'm looking for a new tablet. It's mostly just used for browsing and games. Right now I'm trying decide between the Zenpad 3S or the new ipad. I've only used android, so I have no investment in the apple ecosystem. But slow updates and 3rd party android bullshit are definitely a mark against the 3S.