Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

AMC shows The Walking Dead

Do you pay AMC directly to watch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Boy. I sure do hate Arya now. She's gone from one of the characters I looked forward to seeing each episode, but now I try to keep my eyes from rolling into the back of my head. I think she needs better actors around her. I'm starting to be OK with Sansa.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Boy. I sure do hate Arya now. She's gone from one of the characters I looked forward to seeing each episode, but now I try to keep my eyes from rolling into the back of my head. I think she needs better actors around her. I'm starting to be OK with Sansa.

Don't know who's worse this season, arya or bran.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arya. Because she's not supposed to be playing a robot.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
GoT ratings are way higher than TWD when combining all platforms (not even counting piracy viewers). This was true even in Season 6.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Do you pay AMC directly to watch it?

It's a cable channel like HBO so

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No, it's not like HBO. You pay HBO directly, for AMC you're paying the cable company. AMC makes most of its money off selling advertising, not from subscription dollars.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That's not what he was doing, he saw that the wights were coming in towards the dragon and was fighting them off, it's strange that he got so far away from the dragon in the first place but I guess he wasn't betting on the Night King being able to take the dragons out.

Uh no you're wrong.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I’m glad the other side has a dragon now I guess. Also lol at them all standing there and the ice feeezing and they’re like “oops I’m dead I need to see a 1 pound rock to know it’s okay to walk here”. Idiot dead idiots.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Arya is pretty dumb unless she's doing this all on purpose to get at Littlefinger somehow.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's basic cable, not at all like an HBO or Showtime.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WampaLord posted:

No, it's not like HBO. You pay HBO directly, for AMC you're paying the cable company. AMC makes most of its money off selling advertising, not from subscription dollars.

esperterra posted:

It's basic cable, not at all like an HBO or Showtime.

:negative: I stand corrected

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

jesus, the scene with benjen was so lovely. they kept this guy around and teased his fate since season one just so he could act as a convenient device whenever the writers couldn't think of a way to get a stark kid back to the wall.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

the part where the last wildling redshirt fell into a big pile of wights was cool though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
two things that are either incredibly smart or incredibly dumb:

- Ravens are seriously actual magic internet. When people "send a raven" what actually happens is magic which makes sense because the whole 3 eyed raven/warging thing links ravens to magic. They weren't on the lake for the weeks it would have taken a bird to fly hundreds or thousands of miles and then a human being on a dragon to fly hundreds or thousands of miles. nobody has ever questioned this because "i dunno i guess birds are real fast?"

- Jon being alive and in Westeros is somehow important for the NK

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked the scene with Dany and Jon in the boat. Except for her dialogue when he calls her Dany. That was stupid and bad. But the rest of it was serviceable. Every Arya and Sansa scene was terrible though. Can't wait for Arya to die with Needle frozen in her hands.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deakul posted:

Why didn't the WW use the spears on Jon & Co.?
Why didn't he NK just freeze the water?
Why didn't Dany use the dragons on the NK and the WWs?

1. they were waiting for the dragons
2. maybe he can't
3. she has never seen any of this poo poo before so she was just attack-moving

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I felt like the Dany line with Jon was a nod to all the fans who call her Dany which was lame as hell.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The banter scene between The Hound and Tormund is one of my favourite things this season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Le Saboteur posted:

The banter scene between The Hound and Tormund is one of my favourite things this season.

All the banter in the D&D campaign party was great

Elendil004 posted:

I felt like the Dany line with Jon was a nod to all the fans who call her Dany which was lame as hell.

yes, very much so. I thought I'd had a stroke because why would he even think to call her that

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
"Oh so you've met her"

:lol: Tormnd is the best.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Le Saboteur posted:

that and tormund saying he'll make do with what's available was amazing

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The best moment between Jon and Dany on the boat involved no dialogue between the two and was some surprisingly good acting by Clarke as she saw the wounds on Jon and realised that Davos hadn't been talking metaphorically. I'm genuinely shocked they didn't ruin it by having a long bit of dialogue about where his wounds had come from to undermine it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Deakul posted:

Why didn't the WW use the spears on Jon & Co.?
Why didn't he NK just freeze the water?
Why didn't Dany use the dragons on the NK and the WWs?
Why the gently caress did they just waste Benjen? He totally could have had Jon hop on the horse with him and they ride off.

It was obviously a set up to get a dragon. It's definitely plausible that the NK tagging Bran has had some nefarious effect where the NK can piggyback on the greensight and he saw that there'd be a group of random people coming north who had a connection to the weapon the NK needs to drop the wall. They didn't have those spears and chains and let the ranging party languish on that island for all that time for nothing. It was a trap from the moment they set foot north of the Wall. They've done gently caress all to set this up though, aside from the NK obviously having an obsession with Jon.

Dany didn't know that the NK was an existential threat to her dragons, she just wanted to save her boyfriend(s).

They had to let the guy who plays Benjen out of his contract eventually. Also a horse with two people would run significantly slower.

Honestly you could chalk up a lot of things to bad writing + the compressed season. The show was fraying a bit last season with how fast they needed to move the plot forward and the fractures are even more obvious now. I agree with most everybody that the Arya & Sansa scenes were borderline painful, but I thought Jon & Dany's heart to heart at the end was decent. Although given that Dany flipped her poo poo when her dragons were kidnapped back in season 2 her reaction to losing one in battle seemed a bit muted.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Daenerys is probably in a little bit of shock, as not only did one of her dragons just die she saw a giant army of undead and White Walkers for the first time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sure I can buy the NK hijacking Bran's tree internet.

I'd assume magic ice zombie people can fashion an endless supply of ice spears.

I suppose I can also buy Dany not knowing what the gently caress is going on down below, even though the NK and his WW crew like to stand out from the crowd off to the side all spooky commander-like.

And lol if the WW can't freeze water then why the gently caress can they put out fires due to being so cold?

Christ, I can't wait for the books to make the property good again.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I've got to say Uncle Benjen appearing out of nowhere to sacrifice himself is one of the goofiest rear end things this show has ever done.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

precision posted:

1. they were waiting for the dragons
2. maybe he can't
3. she has never seen any of this poo poo before so she was just attack-moving

How does killing Jon & Co stop Dany from bringing her dragons? Why not kill them and res them? If they were waiting for the dragons why did they start attacking the second the lake froze over?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Le Saboteur posted:

I've got to say Uncle Benjen appearing out of nowhere to sacrifice himself is one of the goofiest rear end things this show has ever done.

it's insanely laughable

also the one off comment about the maester completely destroyed Sam's plotline

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

drat HBO can't even secure their goddamn twitter accounts. https://twitter.com/theleftovershbo/status/898014568978317312

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
God I hope the finale leaks next week.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Maybe I'm a bad judge of acting but I actually thought Clarke did a really good job in that last scene with Jon.

Also yes every bit of banter on the trek north was awesome and I wish they weren't rushing towards the end so we could've gotten a few episodes of that poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Noctone posted:

The better question is why Jon felt compelled to do a hero rush against the Night King instead of just jumping on the dragon with everyone else and telling Dany to drive-by roast his rear end.

The answer of course being: bad writing.

It's been established over and over that Jon Snow is a loving idiot in combat. He is a good swordsman and an inspiring leader but he is an awful tactician.

Battle of Castle Black: he puts a better guy in charge of the castle. Seriously considers a suicide attack on Mance. Battle of the Bastards: he knows he's going to lose to the superior Bolton army but shows up anyway and suicide rushes the Bolton line. He would have lost if not for allied cavalry showing up behind the enemy. Hardhome: suicide rush for the dragon glass. Blue Eyes Wight Dragon: suicide rush for the Night King

See a pattern?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 17, 2017

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

mastershakeman posted:

it's insanely laughable

also the one off comment about the maester completely destroyed Sam's plotline

Every castle has a maester, there isn't just one for the entire watch, Sam was training to be Castle Black's.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

rhaegal is fine, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Diddie posted:

How does killing Jon & Co stop Dany from bringing her dragons? Why not kill them and res them? If they were waiting for the dragons why did they start attacking the second the lake froze over?

one of the perks of playing WW is Fog of War is permanently disabled for your Hero units so he was just timing it right so it wouldn't be so obvious

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

rhaegal is fine, right?

Not emotionally.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lloyd Boner posted:

Every castle has a maester, there isn't just one for the entire watch, Sam was training to be Castle Black's.

right but didn't the old town guys say if a maester at the wall could tell them about the wights they'd believe it but they didn't have any up there

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the wight hunt should've taken the whole season not one episode and would've been awesome with those locations but I bet it was a bitch to film there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Abel Wingnut posted:

rhaegal is fine, right?

Right.

• Locked thread