Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So my ongoing quest to catch up on monthly books I've let pile for like... all of 2017 continues, and it's neat because I'm finding books I subscribed to on Comixology on a whim and being pleasantly surprised. Like Wasp was great, even if it got cancelled. And I just got through the first 7 issues of the new Red Sonja and... it's really fun because it commits to it's high concept- which is "Red Sonja IN THE PRESENT DAY USA!"- fully and Sonja riding around on a chopper with her sword and a leather jacket over her metal bikini is pretty rad. It's not changing the game or high literary examination of the human condition, but it's entertaining to me.

I actually also ended up liking the Mariko Tamaki She-Hulk book a lot, especially once I realised the gimmick was that the CW2 stuff has given Jen a Grey She-Hulk form. It's a neat way to represent trauma in the literal way that the Hulk always does, without throwing out the baby with the bathwater of the classic portrayal (and even potentially letting them get back to that as a sign of her starting to process and heal a little)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Samuringa posted:

I actually don't want to get Death of the Family but it's the only physical collection available for me which contains Batman & Robin #15-17 and I figure those are somewhat crucial to Requiem considering what happens there.

So If I'm getting this right it should go: GMo's Batman & Robin > Return of Bruce Wayne > Batman Inc. > Tomasi's Batman & Robin + Batman Inc.(Nu52)

Morrison's B&R and Return of Bruce Wayne happen simultaneously (in a sense), with the finale of RoBW leading right in to the finale of B&R. It's a bit awkward for reading purposes.

Otherwise that looks right.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Keep in mind it's nestled in with the rest of his JLA run.

Meaning I'd need familiarity with his JLA run? I'm passing familiar with the JLA in general--and I recently bought the three Silver Age trades that are out. Does Morrison have some super unique take on the JLA that I should get myself familiar with before diving in to the 1 Million stuff?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

A Strange Aeon posted:

Meaning I'd need familiarity with his JLA run? I'm passing familiar with the JLA in general--and I recently bought the three Silver Age trades that are out. Does Morrison have some super unique take on the JLA that I should get myself familiar with before diving in to the 1 Million stuff?

Not really. A lot of his JLA stuff is a rough draft for Final Crisis. it is better than Final Crisis though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Saw the first episode of the new DuckTales cartoon and thought it was good - feels much closer to the comics than old DuckTales usually did.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Edge & Christian posted:

Ha ha ha, that's not even CBR/Comic Book ResourceS, it's Comic BookS Resource. It's like posting an article from the News York Time.

I'll stick to Newstravaganza and Comic Allies instead, thank you very much.

*goes back to writing a listicle for Den for Geeks*

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

Saw the first episode of the new DuckTales cartoon and thought it was good - feels much closer to the comics than old DuckTales usually did.

Can't wait for Disney to screw ot over with weird scheduling and then cancel it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

I'll stick to Newstravaganza and Comic Allies instead, thank you very much.

*goes back to writing a listicle for Den for Geeks*

I think Comic Allies got shut down. :(

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Edit: Never mind, I don't understand jokes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Edit: Never mind, I don't understand jokes.

You're in the correct sub forum.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is the Marvel Ultimate series worth reading nowadays?

I remember when they were coming out, I was in high school and they seemed kind of edgy or What Iffy, kind of, but an entire alternative continuity. I only read a handful, but I was curious what their reputation is today. They aren't still ongoing, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Ultimate universe blew up, basically. It's a bit more complicated than that, but basically they ended the line and the universe.

The general consensus is that Ultimate Spider-man is mostly quite good and worth a read, just about up to when Peter Parker inexplicably comes back from the dead. Ultimates volumes 1 and 2 are very edgy since it's Millar, and their real-world references and political allegories are pretty dated by now, but they're still fairly solid books and interesting alternate takes on the characters, even though everyone's kind of a huge rear end in a top hat because Millar. Then the books fall off a cliff with Ultimates 3/Ultimatum/Ultimates vs Squadron Supreme and never recover.

I didn't really read much of the rest. UFF and UXM are pretty rocky books overall. There's a few mini-series here and there that are worth it, some that really aren't. It depends what you're into.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think there's only a couple of issues left after Peter comes back anyway.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

You're in the correct sub forum.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The first two arcs of ultimate X-Men are solid enough but after that the quality drops. Bending took over and while his run was okay to had to deal with some ugly Finch art. BKV run was sadly forgettable and Kirkman's run was terrible. By the end the title was spinning it's wheels and waiting for death.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
UFF started strong too -- Reed's sheer frustration when they meet Annihilus and he turns out to be an evil dickbag because why does he keep meeting evil dickbags, can't literally anyone else in the universe just want to explore poo poo and be friends, and Johnny's "haha I have no idea what's going on but I'm shooting fire at aliens so wheeeeeee" are way up at the top on my favorite moments for each character. I remember it got shaky and then the Land art and really dumb crossovers killed it.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
The hickman stories are p good if you like hickman. I think the minis are like Ultimate Doom or something along those lines

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

UFF started strong too -- Reed's sheer frustration when they meet Annihilus and he turns out to be an evil dickbag because why does he keep meeting evil dickbags, can't literally anyone else in the universe just want to explore poo poo and be friends, and Johnny's "haha I have no idea what's going on but I'm shooting fire at aliens so wheeeeeee" are way up at the top on my favorite moments for each character. I remember it got shaky and then the Land art and really dumb crossovers killed it.

Where it really got strong was after the Land art. When Mike Carey took over.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The best arc of UFF is unironically the zombie arc. I feel the book went off the rails around the Inhumans arc then everything done with the FF after wrapping up the book was pretty interesting and good.

Edit: oops I mixed up the Inhumans arc with the Seed19 arc. Which starts with issue #33.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 15, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Evil Reed bore copious fruit but I remember hating it when it happened, mostly because what broke him made no goddamn sense to me, Ben's new Jesus powers were ill-defined, and I don't buy a Ben/Sue romance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Maker is pretty great, if only because you know he's what Latverian propaganda says that regular Reed is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey guys, I just want you to know, if you die in the upcoming civil war, I really think the US comic industry has done more good than bad and I enjoyed discussing all forms of funnybooks with you all.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Comics taught me about punching Nazis. They have definitely been a positive influence.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It took a couple of minutes for me to register you didn't mean a Civil War 3.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there a Carl Barks book I should check out to see if I'd like the rest of his stuff? His name gets spoken of in high esteem, and I tend to like comics from that era, but I just don't really know where I'd get started.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there a Carl Barks book I should check out to see if I'd like the rest of his stuff? His name gets spoken of in high esteem, and I tend to like comics from that era, but I just don't really know where I'd get started.

Whichever volume of the Carl Barks Library that has Lost in the Andes. The Seven Cities of Gold is a personal favorite as well.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Madkal posted:

Comics taught me about punching Nazis. They have definitely been a positive influence.

Good stuff from the 60s.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Were Marvel comics considered 'liberal' when they came onto the scene? I know EC comics in the 50s got into trouble for publishing a sci fi story where the twist was that the main character was a black man, but they always seemed to be somewhat progressive in their sci fi stuff.

I would think Stan's sentiment was pretty mainstream, even in the 60s, but the fact that he published it made me think maybe there was another source saying the opposite or just being totally silent on the matter.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

A Strange Aeon posted:

I would think Stan's sentiment was pretty mainstream, even in the 60s, but the fact that he published it made me think maybe there was another source saying the opposite or just being totally silent on the matter.
I mean, the editorial is from 1968. The same year MLK was assassinated (and had a Gallup approval rating lower than Trump's today), the same year Nixon won the White House using the Southern Strategy, people were getting killed in civil rights/anti-segregation protests pretty much monthly, George Wallace was considered a solid third party presidential candidate on the platform of "Segregation Now, Segregation Tomorrow, Segregation Forever", etc. etc. etc. DC Comics had yet to have a black superhero (or really even a civilian supporting character) appear in their comics as of 1968.

I don't think Marvel pushed anything that would be considered super "liberal" from a modern perspective, but the fact that by 1968 they were publishing comics where Peter Parker had a (higher ranked) black co-worker, Black Panther and Bill Foster were portrayed as peers to Reed Richards and Hank Pym in scientific achievement, and Nick Fury had a black guy (Gabe Jones) in his WWII crew from 1963 onward even though the actual US army wasn't desegregated (on paper, not really in practice) until 1948, probably put them in the crosshairs for some racists.

1968 was the year that it was considered "controversial" to let Kirk and Uhura kiss on an episode of Star Trek, because they were of different races and that had never happened on US television before, even though it was a kiss that was taking place two hundred years in the future while the interracial couple were under mind control. Interracial marriage was straight up illegal in like sixteen states up until a Supreme Court ruling in 1967. That was the state of things when Stan Lee wrote that essay.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't been paying attention, is Captain America still a nazi?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I haven't been paying attention, is Captain America still a nazi?

Well you see good sir, they revealed that Cap has ALWAYS been a Nazi so....

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Actually he's Hydra, which despite its ties and shared ideals to Nazism is not the same as being a Nazi, see he actually hates working with Nazis but is doing it for the common good and furthermore
:goonsay:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Well you see good sir, they revealed that Cap has ALWAYS been a Nazi so....

yeah but wasn't that because Red Skull rewrote reality? So he wasn't a nazi but then a thing happened so then he was always had been a nazi. It's dumb but if it's just for a couple issues or like that dumb Age of X event, fine. It feels like I heard about Captain America being a nazi months ago, he's gotta be back to normal by now, right?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The event ends later this month. It seems like Marvel was obviously doing an art imitates life thing, but didn't realize exactly how close it would hit to home since they didn't know who'd win the election when they were planning it, and certainly didn't know Charlottesville would happen. In retrospect it was probably a bad idea, but I don't blame them for not playing things safe. I do wonder if the event's going to do lasting harm to that character though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah but wasn't that because Red Skull rewrote reality? So he wasn't a nazi but then a thing happened so then he was always had been a nazi. It's dumb but if it's just for a couple issues or like that dumb Age of X event, fine. It feels like I heard about Captain America being a nazi months ago, he's gotta be back to normal by now, right?

This is pretty much how I feel when I try to sort out the clusterfuck that is Secret Empire

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

X-O posted:

Whichever volume of the Carl Barks Library that has Lost in the Andes. The Seven Cities of Gold is a personal favorite as well.

That would be Lost in the Andes and The Seven Cities of Gold.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Actually he's Hydra, which despite its ties and shared ideals to Nazism is not the same as being a Nazi, see he actually hates working with Nazis but is doing it for the common good and furthermore
:goonsay:

There are fine people in Hydra, and there's violence on many sides.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That would be Lost in the Andes and The Seven Cities of Gold.

Thanks! Added both to my wishlist!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Honestly, it's all bloody brilliant in my book, but those are as good for starters as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

The first two arcs of ultimate X-Men are solid enough but after that the quality drops. Bending took over and while his run was okay to had to deal with some ugly Finch art. BKV run was sadly forgettable and Kirkman's run was terrible. By the end the title was spinning it's wheels and waiting for death.
Bendis was originally going to do Ultimate X-men as more of a teen oriented book which I think would have probably rivaled USM.

• Locked thread