Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Although, you do get better crash protection if you allow your GTA character to take a moment to put a seatbelt or motorcycle helmet on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

haveblue posted:

Although, you do get better crash protection if you allow your GTA character to take a moment to put a seatbelt or motorcycle helmet on.

There's no seatbelt animation. Is there?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, after looking around I fell for an urban legend. There is no seatbelt animation. There is a helmet animation but it doesn't seem to actually protect you any more than driving around bareheaded.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Werong Bustope posted:

My favourite bit was 'gently caress it, I'm going to kill this guy' *puts plane on autopilot*

+1

"I had had enough. I was going to go back there and kill him"

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

JB50 posted:

Looks like they used a helmet with dots on it. :shrug:

exactly :colbert:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Phanatic posted:

27 mols of H2 will combust with oxygen to produce about 8 megajoules of heat. So even assuming that your input energy is totally clean, you're only getting out of this about 16% of what you put into it, and now you've got a bunch of aluminum hydroxide (not oxide) that you need to turn back into aluminum metal. To do that, first you need to turn it into aluminum oxide, which you do by heating it, and then you GOTO 10.

Aluminium is safer to store than hydrogen so you could use this to generate hydrogen when you need. Except that you probably can't have a grinder anywhere where you might want to generate hydrogen, so you probably would need to store the aluminium as fine, porous powder. Which probably isn't very safe anymore.

I guess it wouldn't be completely worthless as a method for storing extra electricity production if you wanted to have source of hydrogen available but didn't want to deal with the problems of storing hydrogen. Sounds like quite niche tho.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

haveblue posted:

Yeah, after looking around I fell for an urban legend. There is no seatbelt animation. There is a helmet animation but it doesn't seem to actually protect you any more than driving around bareheaded.

the helmet does protect you from injuries, but the injuries are physics based so you can still get somewhat randomly hosed up even with them on

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

throw to first drat IT posted:

you probably would need to store the aluminium as fine, porous powder.
WE ALL KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sagebrush posted:

M-M-M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER POST post post post

IMO there should be like a Hays code thing that you can't show good guys in a movie riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Like I dunno if there's still an actual code that movies follow, but surely our current society would consider it extremely poor taste to show a movie hero drinking and driving, for instance? Definitely there would be pushback if they portrayed it as cool or normal to do so. Do the same for motorcycle helmets -- teach kids that it's dangerous and idiotic to ride without one, and save some lives (notably the stuntwoman's!) down the line.

So we can't see the hero squint in heroic tension while judging the distance between the end of that sweet ramp and the fortuitously placed landing spot ahead of it? With his hair blowing, majestically, back from his face? Nah.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Just go a step further and make it so a "good" guy or anyone really, can't ride motorcycles at all. Save more lives that way.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Sagebrush posted:

I have corrected your spelling.

No you haven't.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Platinium

:smug:

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Just go a step further and make it so a "good" guy or anyone really, can't ride motorcycles at all. Save more lives that way.

If people stopped riding motorcycles where would we get organs for transplant?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

...so you probably would need to store the aluminium as fine, porous powder. Which probably isn't very safe anymore.

Literally rocket fuel.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

quote:

I guess it wouldn't be completely worthless as a method for storing extra electricity production if you wanted to have source of hydrogen available but didn't want to deal with the problems of storing hydrogen. Sounds like quite niche tho.

But again, same problem. Powdered aluminum is going to oxidize upon contact with air, so either you keep it totally isolated from air or you need to spend energy to turn it back into aluminum, and then let it react with water to produce H2. H2's what you want, and if you have a sufficiently abundant energy source to keep producing pure aluminum, then there's already a nice handy, high-density, safe storage form for H2: Water.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

so you probably would need to store the aluminium as fine, porous powder. Which probably isn't very safe anymore.

But it's very handy if you want to do authentic Wizard of Oz "Tin Man" cosplay.

Buddy Ebsen almost died because they used aluminum dust to turn his skin silver for the role

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

RE: Fedex flight 705

how the hell do you take that many hammer blows to the head, fight off your assailant, and land an overloaded plane after pulling excessive maneuvering?

Man.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pander posted:

how the hell do you take that many hammer blows to the head, fight off your assailant, and land an overloaded plane after pulling excessive maneuvering?

Man.

This loving video is insane, I have watched the whole thing in awe.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the aluminum thing is this

https://www.arl.army.mil/www/?article=3036

which came up in GiP a while back and we poo poo all over it there too because it's retarded

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sodum and Gomorrah

Powered Descent posted:

But it's very handy if you want to do authentic Wizard of Oz "Tin Man" cosplay.

Buddy Ebsen almost died because they used aluminum dust to turn his skin silver for the role

I guess that's because he inhaled it?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Pander posted:

Man.

very carefully

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lurking Haro posted:

I guess that's because he inhaled it?

Probably. In his own words:

Buddy Ebsen posted:

It was several days later when my cramps began. My first symptoms had been a noticeable shortness of breath. I would breathe and exhale and then get the panicky feeling I hadn’t breathed at all. Then I would gasp for another quick breath with the same result. My fingers began to cramp, and then my toes. For a time I could control this unusual cramping by forcibly straightening out my fingers and toes.

One night in bed I woke up screaming. My arms were cramping from my fingers upward and curling simultaneously so that I could not use one arm to uncurl the other. My wife tried to pull my arm straight with some success, just as my toes began to curl; then my feet and legs bent backward at the knees. I panicked. What was happening to me? Next came the worst. The cramps in my arms advanced into my chest to the muscles that controlled my breathing. If this continued, I wouldn’t even be able to take a breath. I was sure I was dying.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/ozebsen.asp

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pander posted:

Man.

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

quote:

My wife tried to pull my arm straight with some success, just as my toes began to curl

Don't wear your ruby slippers to bed.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Could be worse, they could have chopped him apart bit by bit and replaced it with metal, then sewed the bits back together and he eventually finds that person sleeping with his sweetheart, like in the books.

It turns out "nothing dies in Oz" isn't a nice soft fluffy thing...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nope. The man who discovered the element called it Aluminum and the most important English dialect spells it Aluminum. Some prissy british man decided he'd add an extra letter because he liked the sound of it better, but he was wrong.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sagebrush posted:

most important English dialect

lol

The actual most important English dialect is the one they're teaching to schoolkids in Beijing, sorry.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

how in the actual gently caress?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

the aluminum thing is this

https://www.arl.army.mil/www/?article=3036

which came up in GiP a while back and we poo poo all over it there too because it's retarded

lol it looks like hes making jenkem

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Keiya posted:

Could be worse, they could have chopped him apart bit by bit and replaced it with metal, then sewed the bits back together and he eventually finds that person sleeping with his sweetheart, like in the books.

It turns out "nothing dies in Oz" isn't a nice soft fluffy thing...

I......what?
:psyduck:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

its from cakewars, it's actually a highly detailed fondant accident

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's one of those new high-tech segmented tires.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I......what?
:psyduck:

Nothing dies in Oz. This doesn't mean you can't take mortal injury. It just means it doesn't kill you. There's a desert that'll turn your body into a pile of sand to be blown to the four winds. You are still alive and aware.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Apparently I need to read Wizard of Oz because it sounds metal as gently caress. (I'm not sure if I'm making a pun or not.)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Apparently I need to read Wizard of Oz because it sounds metal as gently caress. (I'm not sure if I'm making a pun or not.)

An awful lot of classic childrens' books are actually rather disturbing. The original versions of Grimm's fairy tales are quite gruesome.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Grimm's stuff kind of is meant to be over the top as most fairy tales were usually old folk tales usually being warnings about going into woods or social misdemeanors about crying wolf.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 17, 2017

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Don't. The writing is pre-literate children's level. The only good character is H.M. Wogglebug, T.E., and only then because of his love of puns. Everyone else is so flat they're 0 dimensional.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

The gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Moist von Lipwig posted:

The gently caress

The TPMS light came on but I fixed it with some electrical tape.