Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember when The Grand Tour came out, it was heralded as the 4K/UHD demo on Amazon... but I can only find it in 1080p for some reason.

I did a direct search for it and that's the only version that came up.

I also checked the specific 4K section and all the old stuff is in there plus a few new bits (including the Channing Tatum thing, even though it won't load in 4K) but no Grand Tour.

Amazon Video is the most pain in the rear end app ever. This is the LG TV version in case they're different. Can anyone else see it?

Here.

http://instantwatcher.com/a/search?...quality%5B%5D=4

Click through and add to watchlist. That's really the easiest way to do it.

AFAIK, Comrade Detective is only HD.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

X-O posted:

There are two versions, the original French Canadian version and the English version. The only one I can vouch for is the English one. I hear the first two seasons of each are very similar but the English one goes off in a different direction after that.

It deals mostly with the smaller parts of being a cop and way more extensively with the toll the job takes on them mentally. It does have some bigger storylines about dirty cops and mob stuff too, but the meat of the show is the strain the job puts on the officers. For instance the school shooting episode is pretty action packed but it's mainly to set up how the different officers deal with what they've gone through afterwords and that's a theme through the rest of that season.

There was another Canadian cop show called Flashpoint that I liked along the same lines, although it was more weighted towards the case of the episode. Also the Pink Power Ranger as the tiniest cop in North America.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Leah Remini: gently caress Scientology Season 2 started today. :getin:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Excellent. I need to finish the first season. I love people trash talking Scientology.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Excellent. I need to finish the first season. I love people trash talking Scientology.

Make sure you watch the special, from a couple of months ago. It's awesome. Leah Remini will be the last face Tom Cruise ever sees. She's going full Jack Reacher.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

Oh hell yeah, I didn't even know there was an S2 in the works. I love when this happens :dance:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Since TOS is the only Star Trek I can stand (aside from the new remakes which I'm mostly ambivalent towards though I think Simon Pegg is good in them) I went to Netflix to see if there are any episodes I haven't ever seen (since I mostly watched it on late Sci Fi channel reruns) and apparently I missed a real corker: S1E21 "Court Martial". It's the least Star Trek-y episode of the TOS, it's entirely a courtroom drama and it... kind of is great.

Have you watched Deep Space Nine?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

Here.

http://instantwatcher.com/a/search?...quality%5B%5D=4

Click through and add to watchlist. That's really the easiest way to do it.

AFAIK, Comrade Detective is only HD.

Neat! Thanks. Yeah I presume someone miscategorized CD, which is a shame.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rocksicles posted:

The first episode of the season was about kids (who are now adults) talking about getting sexually abused in the church and the church doing nothing about it/telling the kids they were hosed up for even saying things like that, so that was pretty hard to watch :smith:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah i watched it. I like how Mike Rinder puts his hand up "yeah i did this, that was me who did that, i brought her here."

They did an AMA yesterday.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But your debt Netflix! Your debt!!!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

But your debt Netflix! Your debt!!!

lmao is this in response to everybody going "wow! Apple is spending a.... billion dollars on original content!!!!" ??

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
that $16,000,000,000 is mostly Shonda Rhimes' paycheck

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao is this in response to everybody going "wow! Apple is spending a.... billion dollars on original content!!!!" ??

Probably not, I see "Netflix is spending $X billion on content" stories every year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Has anyone tried Hulu Live yet? I was looking at some of the features seeing as Vue is raising their price and there were some warning signs with Hulu, namely that it sounds like with their included DVR function you can't fast forward through commercials and the way it was worded made it seem like you don't get commercial free Hulu with it normally.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

Has anyone tried Hulu Live yet? I was looking at some of the features seeing as Vue is raising their price and there were some warning signs with Hulu, namely that it sounds like with their included DVR function you can't fast forward through commercials and the way it was worded made it seem like you don't get commercial free Hulu with it normally.

I'd be interested in hearing about this too, although it looks like it's the same price as Vue's new price anyway and still doesn't have CBS.

e: and wow youtube's one still doesn't have any Turner owned channels, that's kind of a problem for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CBS is definitely an area based thing as that is like the one live network channel I would get. Which doesn't exactly work that well for me because I don't watch anything on CBS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CBS is definitely an area based thing as that is like the one live network channel I would get. Which doesn't exactly work that well for me because I don't watch anything on CBS.

Why, you must not be 100 years old then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They had Limitless! THEN THEY CANCELED IT! :mad:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The only thing I care about getting CBS for is that I like to watch Survivor live with some people. Otherwise I just :filez: Colbert.

Looking around at all the services again it seems like Vue might still be the best option even with the price hike.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We've been using DirecTV Now, but we got the $30/mo promotional price they offered to early adopters permanently locked in. I think it's normally $60? It's been a really stable platform and their channel selection is perfectly adequate for our purposes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I did. It's..ok.

So, the commercial free add on is always a thing. $4 regardless. It applies only to content you would originally get through Hulu. Expanded VOD libraries that come from the the networks and recodings aren't included in that. So, Hulu with live TV is $39.99. Hulu with live TV with no commercials on Hulu's library is $43.99.

So, for example, Season 1 of Preacher would be commercial free since that's from Hulu's library. Season 2 of Preacher would not be commercial free because that would come from either AMC OnDemand or a DVR recording (if you don't pay extra for the enhanced DVR that allows FF commercials.).

So, you don't really lose anything vs Hulu standalone with the No Commercial option.

It seemed solid when I tired it, but I found motion disappointing due to it being 720p30 streaming. They were supposed to be upgrading to 60p streams at some point, I don't know if they did yet.

The UI takes a lot of getting used to. I can't decide if it's a genius shift on how to interact with content from combined sources or an a horrific case of square peg in a round hole. Polarizing is the word.

So, I would say it's worth consideration, especially if you have a normal Hulu account as it's an easy thing to add and remove as needed. But it has some issues to iron out in the quality department and is really too pricey if you want to skip commercials on DVR recodings.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

Yup, and the other 3 are good too:

- Basically Q (seriously how does Trek lore accomodate all these alien "gods" in TOS?)
- Weird thing is killing everyone
- Time travel

Don't forget the 5th one "really bad and stupid use of something from earth's past but in space"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWY1Zf1TUHA
Mitchell and Webb have a new show.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'm rewatching Moonbeam City and I'm a bit pissed they cancelled it cause even with shoddy writing the show looks amazing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'm rewatching Moonbeam City and I'm a bit pissed they cancelled it cause even with shoddy writing the show looks amazing.

The "Moving Nagel print" aesthetic was exceptionally well done. It wasn't high art or anything, but I thought it was really finding its groove by the end of the season, with better characterization and sharper jokes. Rad's storyline in The Legend of Circuit Lake makes me laugh just thinking about it (Especially the cut from Circuit Lake to him lying on the floor, bearded and filthy, muttering "My new son, m-m-my new son...mynewson...")

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite bit from that series was the whole "rich guys playing along with Rad" bit.

MORE BLUES NAMES!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

I saw it once and thought it was a terrible, unfunny Archer ripoff, but you're right, it looked GORGEOUS. The whole thing should have been a series of music videos for bands on the Italians Do It Better label (Johnny Jewel, Chromatics, Glass Candy, Symmetry, etc.), not an actual show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Don't forget the 5th one "really bad and stupid use of something from earth's past but in space"

Yeah "did we learn from literal history? are we doomed to repeat it?"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

My favorite bit from that series was the whole "rich guys playing along with Rad" bit.

MORE BLUES NAMES!

The cop theme restaurant in the Cop Con episode was a highlight for me.

"I'm sorry, sir, we're out of Hamcuffs and Eggs."
"Ahhhh, that's too bad...hey, what are some other menu items you haven't said out loud yet?"

Such an obvious timefill/showcase for the litany of bad puns that the writer's room had come up with, but it was hilarious.

Its style and subject matter probably worked against it - the stiff-yet-stylized animation and High Status Idiot Cop lead immediately read as "Archer Rip-Off" - and people didn't give it a chance. gently caress Comedy Central for booting the last few episodes (Including the incredible finale with Rad's Canadian family) to a post-@Midnight repeat timeslot.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yeah, the first episode was pretty weak but by the time they got to the one about the crazy artist whose entire ouvre was making crappy CGI bowling alley videos I was pretty much sold and never looked back. And the music was great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDF4bMoo0KM

Really I just wish more animation targeted at adults gave a drat about actually looking good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, the first episode was pretty weak but by the time they got to the one about the crazy artist whose entire ouvre was making crappy CGI bowling alley videos I was pretty much sold and never looked back. And the music was great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDF4bMoo0KM

Really I just wish more animation targeted at adults gave a drat about actually looking good.

It's a money thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

I'd be interested in hearing about this too, although it looks like it's the same price as Vue's new price anyway and still doesn't have CBS.

CBS's site appears to have a Hulu login for their live stream page, so there's that.
https://www.cbs.com/live-tv/stream/tveverywhere/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

raditts posted:

CBS's site appears to have a Hulu login for their live stream page, so there's that.
https://www.cbs.com/live-tv/stream/tveverywhere/

Yeah, CBS bought into Hulu's backend for live streaming after All Access completely faceplanted with its big launch earlier this year.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
wait, so is Star Trek gonna be on hulu now? Or..? I guess only for CBS subscribers. Duh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

wait, so is Star Trek gonna be on hulu now? Or..? I guess only for CBS subscribers. Duh.

I fully expect all the Star Trek shows to be exclusive to All Access the minute the Netflix and Prime streaming contracts expire.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Amazon, head and shoulders, continues to be the best delivery platform for premium channels.

I subscribed to Starz though it for American Gods and was floored by the image quality.

I've used it with Showtime the past few weeks to catch up on twin peaks even though Verizon is giving me Showtime free right now because it's that much better looking.

Tonight, I decided to compare HBO through Amazon vs HBO Go since I'm subcribed through cable right now. Even though HBO Go has always been the best looking out of all of the premium streaming apps, there's still no contest. HBO through Amazon thoroughly stomps on HBO Go quality. Guess I'll be cancelling it with Verizon and doing Amazon here on out.

It's also a hell of a lot easier to cancel and re-add based on what's on.

You know, if CBS teamed up with Amazon to deliver all access as an Amazon channel, I would actually consider subscribing when Discovery is on.

I wish I could get all my channels this way. I hate watching cable now due to how muddy it looks.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 17, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah Amazon streaming looks stellar. Things have improved so much. The first online show I ever watched was when the iTunes store just started selling episodes. I paid $3 for the pilot of Desperate Housewives and it was like 320x240 fullscreen garbage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I presume you're grandfathered into the newest SD version of that pilot at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hell, yeah.

I really want new That Mitchell and Webb Look, but this will do.

• Locked thread