Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

...Holy poo poo. That... There are no words for that ending.

I'd like to STOP and get off of Mr. Bones' Wild Ride now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Leraika posted:

Well, uh, okay that was a thing that happened.

let's STOP this nonsense, right now

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

STOP!

Congratulations. You have chosen to STOP this story just when you were about to be turned into one of them. But what are they?

Elevator operators in the Bottomless Pit Elevator!

If you had not stopped the story at this point, you would have had nowhere to go but down. There's only one thing worse than a bad ending, and that's no ending. So consider your choice wise because it brings you to what is officially known here as

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Dropped Todd down a bottomless pit.
Gave the book the chance to pull some "all just a dream" bullshit on us.
Turned into a paper lantern because we failed a literature quiz.
:siren:Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.:siren:

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.

Our options posted:

• Go back to the cabin.
  • Enter the cave.
  • Howl at the werewolves.
  • Fly up to the werewolves.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wow.

This book is failing to meet the literary standards of Goosebumps choose-your-own adventures.

I did not thin sch a simple task could be failed so dramatically, but... here we are.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

quote:

"Paper thin, that's what I am now," you say. "It must have been from not having enough oxygen and breathing that bad cave air."

Beautiful. Amazing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This ghostwriter feels like they're either having a stroke, or writing a book with each hand and this is the one they're not looking at.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You know what? gently caress this whole thing and Go back to the cabin. Maybe the other primary route will make me feel less like my brain is trying to climb out of my skull.

We can come back to get the cave route ending after we get some distance between us and loving paper lantern people.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

...did Denny write this? Prove to me that he didn't.

Oh. Sure. Cabin. Whatever.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, let's go back to the cabin.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Enter the cave.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I remember now that I borrowed this book from a library and it was the only choose your own adventure goosebumps book I didn't even bother trying to read properly because it was too dumb.

go to a cabin?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I got exactly what I asked for and I'm still disappointed.

let's just go to the cabin, this path is too nuts

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

The full moon, the black sky, and the thought of werewolves in the woods help you decide what to do. You are definitely going back to the cabin. You can always hunt for the box in the morning.

As you walk along the path back to Evergreen Cabin, Lauren catches up with you. "I'm sure glad you're back this summer. This werewolf thing is really bad for business!"

"You don't really believe there are werewolves in these woods, do you, Lauren?" you ask.

"I didn't until I started hearing the howling," she says quietly. "Have you heard it yet?"

"Give me a break!" You laugh as you reach your cabin. "It's probably just the wind blowing through the trees."

"Yeah, probably," Lauren agrees. She nervously twists a strand of her long black hair around her finger. "Well, see you tomorrow."

The lights are all out in the cabin. You enter quietly. You tiptoe past your parents' and the Morrises' rooms. They're all sleeping. But you hear a noise coming from the room you are sharing with Todd. What is it?

quote:

The noise you hear is Todd crying into his pillow. You are too tired to talk now. Instead, you kick off your sneakers and climb into your bed with your clothes on. Just as you start to drift off to sleep, you hear HOW-OW-OW-OW-OWL!

"Did you hear that?" Todd cries. He jumps out of bed and hurries over to your bedside. The light from the full moon casts an eerie glow over Todd's terrified face.

"Don't be afraid. It's only the wind howling," you mutter.

HOW-OW-OW-OWL!

Todd leaps onto your bed and screams, "It's a wild animal!"

Before you can answer, a rock with a note attached flies through your open window and lands on the wooden floor. You push Todd aside and wriggle out of bed. You pick the rock up, tear the note off, and read aloud:

quote:

"The Werewolves of WoodsWorld
They love to see red,
So the box that was Todd's
Is now their box instead!
The Werewolves of WoodsWorld
Disappear at dawn,
So you must find the box
Before this night is gone!"

quote:

"Okay, Todd," you announce. You fold up the note and slip it into the pocket of your jeans. "This means war!"

"Yeah!" Todd agrees with a sudden burst of courage. He grips your arm and asks, "What werewolves? Where?"

"That's exactly what we're going to find out," you reply. You quickly fill Todd in on Sharky's story about the werewolves. You slip your sneakers back on as Todd pulls jeans over his Looney Tunes pajamas. Then, holding a flashlight in one hand and a nervous Todd in the other, you sneak out the front door.

Slowly, you and Todd creep down the porch steps. You step onto the grass and stop.

You hear rustling in the bushes near the cabin.

"Who's there?" you demand in a loud whisper.

The only answer is another haunting howl from somewhere deep in the woods. Clouds cover the full moon now, making it difficult to see the path.

You spot two sets of blinking lights in the distance. Two red lights blink in the direction of the path leading to the beach. Two white lights blink in the opposite direction, down a path that leads deep into the woods.

"Which way?" Todd asks, clinging to your arm.

To investigate the red lights, turn to PAGE 75.

Check out the white lights, go to PAGE 30.

Picking the red lights just sends you back to the cave, so let's check out the white lights.

quote:

You decide to take the path through the woods that leads to the white lights.

"Please hurry," Todd begs you. "I need my box back. Those pewter figures are like my best friends."

"We'll get them back or my name isn't Phineas Z. Smeltzenseltzer!" you say.

"But your name isn't Phineas Z. Smeltzenseltzer," Todd answers. He misses the joke completely.

"Oh, brother!" you sigh. "Come on, Todd. Let's follow this path." You start to hike into the woods. The path is lined with a wall of thick, dark bushes.

"Two lights probably mean double trouble," Todd warns. He follows too closely behind you. He keeps stepping on your heels.

"More like triple trouble when you're dealing with the Murphy brothers," you add. You don't really care about Todd's box. But you don't think the bullies should wreck anyone's vacation at WoodsWorld. Not even nerdy Todd's vacation.

A strange noise ahead on the path catches your and Todd's attention. It sounds like twigs cracking.

"What's that?" Todd asks, clinging to your arm.

quote:

You hear the noise again. And then you spot a person hiding in the shadows of an evergreen tree.

"W-who's there?" you stutter. You shine your flashlight toward the person's face.

"Lauren!" you cry. "What are you doing out here so late?"

Lauren Woods squints into the glare of the flashlight. "Hey! Get that light out of my eyes!" she calls. You point the beam of light at the ground, as Lauren steps out from behind the tree.

"I saw weird lights blinking outside my cabin window. I decided to investigate," Lauren explains. "What about you? Why are you creeping around the woods at night?"

"The Murphy brothers stole Todd's red tin box with his pewter figure collection in it," you tell her. You introduce Lauren to Todd, and then continue. "We're out looking for it."

"I'll help," Lauren volunteers. "Let's just hope we find the box and not the Murphys! They're bigger and meaner than - ooops!"

Lauren trips on something and grabs onto Todd. Todd reaches out for you. Like dominoes, you all fall down in a line. Your flashlight shines on a mound of freshly dug dirt. You glance around. There are a lot of piles of dirt.

"Hey," you say. "Either we've landed in a gopher's paradise, or someone has buried something here. Let's start digging!"

quote:

All three of you pick a different mound of fresh dirt and start digging with your hands. In minutes you and Lauren stand up at the exact same time and shout, "I found it!"

You both are holding up identical-looking red tin boxes.

"My collection!" Todd shrieks.

You take a closer look at the two boxes. "Sorry, Todd," you announce. "I don't think either one of these boxes is the one we're looking for."

Lauren hands you the box she found. You show Todd that one box is labeled SMARTS BOX. The other is labeled SUPER-STRENGTH BOX. You are just about to open them, when you hear a chilling HOW-OW-OW-OW-OWL!

A thunderous crashing noise comes from the woods in front of you. Something is coming toward you! Fear grips you. You clutch the two boxes tightly.

HOW-OW-OW-OW-OWL!

You dash across the path and crouch behind a large rock.

The wall of bushes bursts apart. A snarling, red-eyed, sharp-fanged beast bounds through the leaves.

"Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!" Todd and Lauren scream.

quote:

"It's a werewolf!" Todd yells in horror.

Lauren covers her eyes and screams, "I can't look!"

The darkness makes it impossible to see clearly. And you're afraid to turn your flashlight on the beast. You can just barely make out the form of the werewolf. It's standing on all four legs.

Todd and Lauren are cornered by the beast. They are screaming for help. The werewolf hasn't spotted you yet. You have no weapons. What can you do?

But wait! You've got it! The boxes! Maybe one of the boxes will help you!

If you open the SMARTS BOX, maybe you will be able to figure out a genius plan to defeat the werewolf. But, then again, if you are SUPER STRONG, you can fight the werewolf and win. Which box should you open first?

If you choose the SMARTS BOX, hurry to PAGE 50.

If you choose the
SUPER-STRENGTH BOX, go to PAGE 95.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Super-Strength Box:siren:
:siren:Smarts Box:siren:

Bad Endings
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.

Achievements
Dick Move, Bro: Deliberately let Todd fall into the bottomless pit, just to be a jerk.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm glad we stick with Todd no matter what, he's the one bright spot in this ever-shifting landscape of nonsense. Let's wrestle a wolf.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Use the Quad Damage and hit something. Or learn that it's labelled 'SUPER STRONG' because you need to be strong to open the box.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Let's come up with a GENIUS PLAN! Or become the second Doctor Weird, either/or.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Time to get swole

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

we're in the 90s, and we know that knowing is half the battle

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Hotter than the sand, bigger than the ocean, Broseidon up in here
Get buff

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Get Smart.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Have no fear, super-strength is here!" you call out. Lauren and Todd are still screaming. The werewolf moves closer and closer to them.

Using your ordinary strength, you open the box. You expect to see some mega-vitamins. Instead the box is filled with very ordinary-looking oat O's cereal.

The werewolf snarls. Then it lunges right for Todd's throat.

"Save us!" Todd shouts.

"Here goes," you say. You toss a fistful of O's into your mouth. The effect is instant. Super-strength fills your body. Your shirt rips at the seams. Enormous muscles bulge and burst out of the torn material.

"Wow!" you gasp. "This could be fun!"

But you know that looks aren't everything. Are these new muscles as strong as they appear to be?

The werewolf is ready to dig its fangs into Todd's neck. You flex your muscles. Another seam tears open at the shoulder of your shirt. You place a finger under the werewolf's arm and start to lift.

"Oh, no. I hope this works," you pray.

quote:

"I did it!" you shout. You're amazed at your power. With no trouble at all you lift the surprised werewolf in the air - just by the strength of one finger!

And just to teach the werewolf a lesson, you twirl it around in the air above your head. Then you fling the beast far, far into the woods. Your super strength did the job!

*"HOW-OW-OW-OW-OW-OW-OW-OWL!" cries the airborne werewolf all the way into the dark woods.

"You really do have super strength!" Todd cries. "You have all the power now!"

quote:

"Not so fast," says a scratchy little voice from out of nowhere. "I am the one with all the power here!"

You all gasp when you see who's talking. A troll no more than one and a half feet high. He is standing on a rock with his tiny feet apart, fists curled, and a smirk on a wart-filled green face.

"I am the Master of the Box! Whoever eats from the SUPER-STRENGTH BOX is my servant!" The troll stares right at you with his beady black eyes. Then he laughs in your face. "Ha! You think you have power, pipsqueak? That beast you just hurled was nothing but a small dog until I fed him my magic O's. I have the power. Only I have it! Bow down to your master, slave!"

"I'm not your slave!" you fire back at him. You flex the muscles on your arms. Your arms now look like a mountain range. "I could flatten you in a second!"

You could. But will you?

If you ask Todd and Lauren for advice, go to PAGE 25.

If you choose to grab a nearby branch and swat the troll, go to PAGE 56.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Super-Strength O's:siren:

Bad Endings
Pressed a button that stopped the entire story, because of course it loving did.

Achievements

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Todd knows what's up. Lauren too, I guess. Also, the description of our rippling, mountainous body is perhaps by accident the scariest thing this book has thrown at me yet.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
A superpowered kid is just a kid. But three kids combined? No plan can go wrong.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

What the heck even is this book

let's team up so we suffer together

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Think before you leap.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't

I can't

why would

troll man

but werewolves

the first one

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
I like how the book keeps trying and failing to remember what it's about. Is this book about werewolves? Weird soul entrapping candles? Magic cereal? Dinosaurs? Who knows!

Ask your friends for tips.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

:psyduck:

What is this book?

Ask Todd

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Ask.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Ask Todd and Lauren for advice? Forget it! They saw what the SUPER-STRENGTH cereal did for you. Now they're both gobbling up a handful of it, too. In seconds Todd and Lauren have both turned into muscle-bound hulks. The three of you show off your giant muscles for each other.

"This is so cool!" Lauren exclaims. She lifts a huge boulder without even straining.

"Power!" Todd declares, raising a fallen tree trunk above his head.

"Hahahahahahahahahaha!" The evil laughter of the menacing troll fills the woods. You cover your ears to keep out the awful sound.

The troll has had just about enough of you three now. He puckers up his thick, blubbery lips and whistles. Instantly, Lauren drops the boulder. Todd drops the tree trunk.

"Roll over!" the troll orders.

Todd and Lauren fall to the ground and roll over. Their super strength has been zapped. But how?

quote:

You notice that the ugly troll's commands have no effect on you. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the reason you've escaped his control. Your hands are still covering your ears! You can't hear the whistle that seems to have put Todd and Lauren into some kind of trance. Without the vibrations of his whistle in your ears, your power to resist the troll is still strong.

Aha! you think. So he doesn't have all the power after all!

Whoops. You shouldn't have even thought that. The troll read your mind. And to prove you wrong, he says a troll word that sounds like Gyzacck!

You have no idea what that means, but you do know one thing - it's time to grab Lauren and Todd and get out of here.

"Run!" you shout into their faces. Their trance-like stares are broken at the sound of your voice. "Run!" you yell again.

quote:

"Gyzacck!"

"Gyzacck!"

"Gyzacck!"

Hey! What's going on here? It isn't the troll saying this weird word. It's Lauren and Todd and you!

You've run away from the troll, but before you left him he played a very mean trick. He stole all your vocabulary words and replaced them with just one word. Gyzacck!

You open your mouth to speak to Lauren. "Gyzacck!"

She opens her mouth to answer. "Gyzacck!"

And Todd cries, "Gyzacck!"

What does "Gyzacck" mean? Well, it can only mean one thing. For you and your friends this is

GYZACCK!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Super-Strength O's

Bad Endings
:siren:Gyzacck!:siren:

Achievements
:siren:Gyzacck: Gyzacck? Gyzacck.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Enter the cave.
  • Howl at the werewolves.
  • Fly up to the werewolves.
  • Open the Smarts Box.
  • Swat the troll.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:psyduck: How does this just keep getting worse?

gently caress teamwork. Every smart kid knows working on group assignments is the worst.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

swat the troll. i don't even know.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If friendship didn't help maybe violence will. Swat the troll

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

hey everyone i just came from the year 2003 have you heard of the sa front page? they have a series called fashion swat

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

This book is amazing in all the worst ways,.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Obviously, the troll can only be stopped by one man.

Become the Day Man!

If the books going to use Charlie Kelly level logic, so will we.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I can't wait to see what happens when we bully a troll

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it cannot possibly be this hard to write 130 pages abot werewolves

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Blockhouse posted:

it cannot possibly be this hard to write 130 pages abot werewolves

This is what happens when you hate your work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
I think we've hit the point where the author just had a dartboard with random words on it. We just hit 'cereal', 'troll', and a stray shot that hit the dictionary that he cut everything else out of.

Let's hit a troll.