Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

is it correct to assume the horizontal line width will fit up with the shoulders in game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

ethanol posted:

is it correct to assume the horizontal line width will fit up with the shoulders in game?

As far as I can tell they do not, the scale feels wrong. Either the 4x doesn't actually zoom in by 4x or the graphic on the scope is incorrect or the size of the player models are too small to accurately line up. The VSS's swoopy rangefinder line has the same problem.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Turns out that if you parachute in over a tall building, your guy might switch to "landing" even as he glides past the edge of the building. I fell 3 stories because I missed the top of a building and started the round at about 25% health. Whoops!

This has hosed me over so many times, especially when trying to land on that long bridge / tower at the military base.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Or just blast them with a shotty from 20 miles.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Confer posted:

This has hosed me over so many times, especially when trying to land on that long bridge / tower at the military base.

That thing's an old radar array, probably to make the island evocative of Chernobyl where one is still standing. Landing on it is a loving death sentence, that thing will drop you to die like 99% of the time.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Shima Honnou posted:

You're supposed to be able to use the width of the 400, 500, and 600 marks to determine range to target based on shoulder/torso width but since scale's off it doesn't work right.

Fantastic, thank you!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWUiUBMGJGM

Can someone explain to me what happened?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I don't understand at all how people are supposed to be able to eyeball distances like that in game, my process goes something like:
"oh poo poo a person is out there! That looks.... i'd estimate... sorta far? Guess I'll try... this line?"
<miss>
"hm nope and now they know I'm shoot at them. Maybe this line instead plus a little bit of leading this time..."
<miss>
"nope but I saw the kick up of dust from the bullet! now just to adjust..."
<miss>
"nope and they're behind a tree. I'll watch just for a se.."
<killed by return fire>

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
100m is one square on the map, so you can use landmarks distance from you to get a feel for it

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shima Honnou posted:

That thing's an old radar array, probably to make the island evocative of Chernobyl where one is still standing. Landing on it is a loving death sentence, that thing will drop you to die like 99% of the time.

Everyone I've played with it calls it scaffolding. I've tried calling it the radar antenna but no one had a clue so now I call it the scaffolding too.

Being up on it when there's anyone with a decent sight is also a death sentence. There's usually pretty good loot on the stairs and the walkway up top though.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

Tweak posted:

I don't understand at all how people are supposed to be able to eyeball distances like that in game, my process goes something like:
"oh poo poo a person is out there! That looks.... i'd estimate... sorta far? Guess I'll try... this line?"
<miss>
"hm nope and now they know I'm shoot at them. Maybe this line instead plus a little bit of leading this time..."
<miss>
<miss>
<killed by return fire>

It's because they play the game until they can eyeball it. I'm starting to be able to eyeball some stuff. But for the most part if I'm engaging someone at a certain distance and I know where they are, I first just mark the map where they are then I count the squares they are. Most folks just loving duck under cover and play peakaboo 2017 so I have time to do that. Or if I'm camping somewhere like the bridge I'll already know my distance and can adjust accordingly.

I hate fighting people at range for that reason and avoid snipers. I'd rather have an M16 with 4X or red dot than a kar or sks anyday. Don't even get me started on the vss, it's poo poo.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

fknlo posted:

Everyone I've played with it calls it scaffolding. I've tried calling it the radar antenna but no one had a clue so now I call it the scaffolding too.

Being up on it when there's anyone with a decent sight is also a death sentence. There's usually pretty good loot on the stairs and the walkway up top though.

I've also heard it called billboard

I called it radar installation when I didn't know what to call it

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Tweak posted:

I don't understand at all how people are supposed to be able to eyeball distances like that in game

It's like a mechanic that can diagnose a car problem based on a sound it's making - lots of experience!

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

fletcher posted:

It's like a mechanic that can diagnose a car problem based on a sound it's making - lots of experience!

B...b..but surely spreadsheets must be better than experience, right???

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Im doing my part.

I just missed taking the screenshot but luckily mustard got a one.

I'm recognizing some PS2 names here. Mustarde plays battlegrounds now?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
silenced ump is so amazing, what a gun

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Shima Honnou posted:

A meter is a unit of distance in the metric system signifying a distance of 3.28084 feet. The points indicating 100m to 800m are where the bullet should be once it travels that distance.

Top of arrow is 100, the little V shape at the bottom is 200, and the start of the range post is 300.
Based on your explanation then I can assume I should for some reason aim a lot higher for a 100m target than for a 800m target because that's what the image appears to say? This seems like it would go poorly.

Or is the arrow not an arrow saying increasing, but rather saying here's center sight?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Based on your explanation then I can assume I should for some reason aim a lot higher for a 100m target than for a 800m target because that's what the image appears to say? This seems like it would go poorly.

Or is the arrow not an arrow saying increasing, but rather saying here's center sight?

hmm yes two ways to read that image, one that doesn't make sense and one that makes sense. which is it????

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

fletcher posted:

I've also heard it called billboard

I called it radar installation when I didn't know what to call it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duga_radar

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

fknlo posted:

Yeah, I'd much rather land at one of the long buildings that have two sets of stairs on each end / in the middle. Lots of loot there and at least there's rooms to duck off into if you need to hide. I love those moments where you get the military base all to yourself. Doesn't happen very often but when it does it's like Christmas came early.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus

Tokubetsu posted:

silenced ump is so amazing, what a gun

God yes, it's so awesome.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

rarbatrol posted:

I'm recognizing some PS2 names here. Mustarde plays battlegrounds now?

I've seen some PS2 people as well but haven't seen Mustarde.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i just wiat until someone leaves those dormitory buildings and shoot them then. Looting is so boring.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Elentor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWUiUBMGJGM

Can someone explain to me what happened?

Looks like the car was embedded in the floor of the garage. Normally, it would pop out, but in this case, it didn't, and instead physics basically made the car have like, a dozen collisions in a second, which naturally means it explodes.

Part of it is asset loading(there's a video of a bridge "not loading in" and a car diving through it somewhere), and part of it is the client-side physics, not unlike the car/motorcycle catapult videos.

Tweak posted:

<miss>
<miss>
<miss>
<killed by return fire>

If I'm setting up shop somewhere comfy(in a building for the later circles, for instance) I'll take landmarks and pre-distance them with the map. The difference in 400m and 600m is pretty big, but at that range, things like shooter/target topography adds up.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

And can someone explain this image to me?

Not perfectly accurate, but it's the general idea.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i haven't seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but you can fit motorcycles through doors

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i haven't seen it mentioned in the thread yet, but you can fit motorcycles through doors

I love to do this when I'm trying to hide my motorcycle if I find one right when I start looting. At least if someone gets on it I can hear them and then they'll have to fit the bike out of the door before I get there to shoot them off.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
As bad as the vss is it can still be very effective at times.

Took a few pot shots at a guy maybe 2-300m away and of course his instinct is to run straight for cover. Only problem is the vss is so silent its impossible to tell where the shits are coning from so he takes cover on the wrong side of a tree giving me a clear bead on him. I blew a couple clips going for the kill but in the end got him. When i looted his body he had undamaged lvl 3 helm and vest, ar suppressor, sr suppressor and an 8x.

I then died like 3 mins later running into the circle.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
VSS is amazing end-of-game gun. Perfectly silent, common ammo. You can sit in a bush (or in grass if you're playing FPP) and just take potshots all drat day. I've considered taking a crossbow with me for the same reason, just dead silent and makes being a bushmaster more powerful.

Speaking of grass in FPP, one of my buddies just won us a game in a Gatka circle by dropping in the wheat, crawling like 200 meters with the circle behind him, and then lying in wait like a snake until the last team killed the other last team then he just blasted the final guy without having to move from the grass. Nobody ever saw him even while walking right past him.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Shima Honnou posted:

VSS is amazing end-of-game gun. Perfectly silent, common ammo. You can sit in a bush (or in grass if you're playing FPP) and just take potshots all drat day. I've considered taking a crossbow with me for the same reason, just dead silent and makes being a bushmaster more powerful.

My only issue with taking the crossbow to end-game is that if you don't get a headshot with it you would have been better off using any other weapon due to the reload time.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Confer posted:

My only issue with taking the crossbow to end-game is that if you don't get a headshot with it you would have been better off using any other weapon due to the reload time.

Stick to a bush, aim for people who are already in firefights or just got out of them. Let everyone else do your work for you. You make no noise and there's no puff of blood or any other reaction to tell someone what hit them unless they see the bolt sticking out of them. Same way I'd use a VSS at the end.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

The crossbow with a quiver is pretty awesome. I am pretty sure the built in scope's rangefinder is totally useless though. Its nearly silent and the quiver lets you reload in like a second. Half my kills with it have been from me walking up a few feet behind someone though and shooting them in the back of the head though so its not like I'm really using it effectively.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://clips.twitch.tv/LitigiousTawdryAmazonDerp

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Stealthgerbil posted:

The crossbow with a quiver is pretty awesome. I am pretty sure the built in scope's rangefinder is totally useless though. Its nearly silent and the quiver lets you reload in like a second. Half my kills with it have been from me walking up a few feet behind someone though and shooting them in the back of the head though so its not like I'm really using it effectively.

Where do you find the quiver at? Is it an attachment or something? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Confer posted:

Where do you find the quiver at? Is it an attachment or something? I don't think I've ever seen it before.

It's the crossbow bullet loops, it's just around.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I missed it for the longest time because it looks just like the bolts except it says "quiver" so until I took a closer look I didn't even realize it was an attachment.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZKF5nUB898&t=571s

streamers are garbage

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

what in the gently caress?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

No see he's only "pretending" to be racist.

I just had a terrible game in which I got 10th by hiding in a building and using all my healing, because I had no vehicle, didn't see a single other person except super far away in a UAZ two circles ago, and just didn't feel like jumping out to get shot.

I think I need a break.

Edit: and to be clear, yes, it's me being awful that's the problem here, game's pretty good, actually.

odiv fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
murder everyone with a twitch account just to be safe

• Locked thread