Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Berious posted:

Also what sort of sad man is looking forward to being a space journalist when they can be a space waiter?

we're all space waiters already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

we're all space waiters already

:wow:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I loved this, thank you.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

:asoiaf: :gizz:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Mr.Tophat posted:

Thank you kindly for this, I needed a good laugh after exposing nazis apologists in GBS

Keep up the good fight commando o7

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Experimental Skin posted:

...and before that again it was '100 systems all individually hand crafted by artisans down to the last blade of grass' rather than 'a boring repetitive procedural universe of 400 billion systems' which Elite Dangerous used...

I think I can clear this right up

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The new thing is procedurally assisted design, it's an entirely new paradigm. Never been done before

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
They just build a planet by hand, then convert it back into a simple algorithm that will reproduce it while costing them little to nothing network/RAM wise to stream to the client. It's amazing

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Technically, getting something approved by croberts is a procedure.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

:siren:The worm is turning.:siren:

My daily paper was always really pro SC (gamestar like), but they are seeing the light slowly.

translation of the end of the article:

Squadron42 should be released in 2017, the final game at the end of 2018. Many doubt these dates, because of all the shown delays. If the game can ever match the high expectations has yet to be seen.

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 17, 2017

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

AutismVaccine posted:

Squadron42 should be released in 2017, the final game at the end of 2018. Many doubt these dates, because of all the shown delays. If the game can ever match the high expectations have yet to be seen.

Heh, it's almost as if there is no game or even any evidence of a game.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

This belongs in a museum.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Someone gave them gold for that failed shilling attempt, lol.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Superb

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Holy (Christ Roberts) gently caress.

The last hour funding tracker is for only $325 (none of the last six hours have been over $1000)

If that is not fake they are losing thousands of dollars in the last hour.

They need about $4000 to $5000 EVERY hour to be looking healthy.

(Yes, they do have some very big days during sales)

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Don't worry. They're getting dogpiled, and regardless, you'll know them when you see them. I'm making sure sure of that.

Red text the fash.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Kosumo posted:

The last hour funding tracker is for only $325 (none of the last six hours have been over $1000)

I am quite sure Gamescom will make up for it. They will show a planetary landing with "Also sprach Zarathustra" playing alongside it, showing 2.4 million polygon landing gear realistically depressing while touching down, with Chris al smuggo via video chat and the shitizens will basically explode in a shower of body fluids and money towards CIG. Just you wait.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

They just build a planet by hand, then convert it back into a simple algorithm that will reproduce it while costing them little to nothing network/RAM wise to stream to the client. It's amazing

Star Citizen: The Return of Slartybartfast.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

I am quite sure Gamescom will make up for it. They will show a planetary landing with "Also sprach Zarathustra" playing alongside it, showing 2.4 million polygon landing gear realistically depressing while touching down, with Chris al smuggo via video chat and the shitizens will basically explode in a shower of body fluids and money towards CIG. Just you wait.

Aye. I'm sure that they'll roll out a fairly convincing demo (as long as you don't look too closely at the seams or stray from the path). After all, they must do so or face a complete embaressement. Some people in this thread will probably even be mollified, and a certain poster will once again buy back in for 2,000 bucks.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mr.Tophat posted:

Don't worry. They're getting dogpiled, and regardless, you'll know them when you see them. I'm making sure sure of that.

o7, mate. o7. They need to get punched everywhere. I'm pretty hyped for when the juggalos march on DC, btw.

:hmbol:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Kosumo posted:

Turbulent need to fix their call to rand(). It's overflowed or something.

BigTeddyBear
Jul 21, 2017
We all know the best content comes from players.
DS should take his fight in game. Be that crazy tyrant leader.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

I think I can clear this right up

I refer you to my earlier blog for further called it clarification.

Experimental Skin posted:

Star Citizen: My God, it's Full of Idiots

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

The new thing is procedurally assisted design, it's an entirely new paradigm. Never been done before

If you think about it, you can almost picture a man writing a "procedure" in a language - a kind of "programming" language - then handing it on over to a "computing" machine, and boy howdy hang on to your knickerbockers cause that sucker will go ahead and just run that procedure quite a bit faster and with more precision than any human ever could.

I mean it all sounds pretty far-fetched to me, but with ol' Roberts at the helm, why just about anything is possible!

Clod Imperium Games, sheesh what an outfit. Surely are the diamond tip on the cutting edge of technology.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Toops posted:

If you think about it, you can almost picture a man writing a "procedure" in a language - a kind of "programming" language - then handing it on over to a "computing" machine, and boy howdy hang on to your knickerbockers cause that sucker will go ahead and just run that procedure quite a bit faster and with more precision than any human ever could.

I mean it all sounds pretty far-fetched to me, but with ol' Roberts at the helm, why just about anything is possible!

Clod Imperium Games, sheesh what an outfit. Surely are the diamond tip on the cutting edge of technology.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

Chris Roberts posted:

“It's better to have your engineering considerations taken care of now, rather than trying to retrofit as you go along,” Roberts argues. “It definitely is a harder approach to take, but I think long-term it will build a better foundation.” Roberts compares Star Citizen to MMOs like World of Warcraft and EVE Online, saying: “if it works it's hopefully going to stay alive for a long time, like 10-plus years.” For that to happen, “it needs to have a solid foundation that's scaleable and can be constantly maintained and built upon easily. If we don't do a lot of this stuff upfront then we're going to repay that technical debt later on.”

Checkmate goonie.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Funnily enough, EVE was built on the exact opposite of that, but hade a very clear gameplay focus that was constantly moved towards, tweaked, and added to through an almost trial-and-error process. What was actually needed software-wise could never have been foreseen from the start, so they started small.

Maybe Chris should look into that whole “gameplay now; fancy stuff later; don't try to predict the players” mode of operation.

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

toanoradian posted:

Please don't tell me there's nazi apologists here in SA.

If I hate ANTIFA, does that make me a nazi?

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/371096-Elite-Dangerous-2-4-Closed-Beta-available-to-download-now-(changelog)

So the patchnotes for Elite's 2.4 beta just came out.

No mention of punching above anything, clearly a DOA patch...

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Toblakai posted:

if you felt instantly compelled to bring up antifa when someone condemns nazis, then yes

at the very least a nazi apologist

hth

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wasn't CIG sponsored by Intel? Last year, they couldn't finish a sentence during their shows without having to tell the world how great the new Intel SSDs are.

Now the best vice president of marketing since she was a little girl posts their IT guys putting Ryzen CPUs in their builds?

So the Intel gig also came to an end?

E: sorry for not using [timg]...fixed

tuo fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 17, 2017

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Toblakai posted:

It makes you an anti anti-fascist. IE a fascist.

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity
Does it make me a nazi if i sing a nazi anthem in front of a german crowd and the video of said event gets deleted later?

e:
managed to accidentally page snipe again. wanted to post later, but will use this as tax:

Awesome Fidelity fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 17, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

tuo posted:

Wasn't CIG sponsored by Intel? Last year, they couldn't finish a sentence during their shows without having to tell the world how great the new Intel SSDs are.

Now the best vice president of marketing since she was a little girl posts their IT guys putting Ryzen CPUs in their builds?

Assembly station in front of the commercial grade kitchen.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

a croberts never pays his (technical) debts

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you guys are still doing this? haha

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

tuo posted:

Weren't they in bed with AMD first though? Going full circle.

Also, Beet needs to Stream Kayak Kayaking Up a Stream.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Percelus posted:

a croberts never pays his (technical) debts

Game of Porcelain Thrones

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
From

[quote="“ModernSociety”" post="“475464911”"]
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/371096-Elite-Dangerous-2-4-Closed-Beta-available-to-download-now-(changelog)

So the patchnotes for Elite’s 2.4 beta just came out.

[/quote]

quote:

• Added search and rescue contacts to stations across the galaxy
• New and improved salvage scenarios added to support search and rescue gameplay
• Made salvage commodities legal to pick up from wreck sites (will still appear illegal if dropped by ships as that is not salvage)

Oh no elite beat SC to salvaging. Redeemer what do?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

ModernSociety posted:

So the patchnotes for Elite's 2.4 beta just came out.

• Mysterious locations added that we’re not going to tell you about

This isn't open development.

Pathetic :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

no_recall posted:

From

Oh no elite beat SC to salvaging. Redeemer what do?

Fail spectacularly?

It's their standard response, so why guess anything else?