Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Remember to tear down the Yankee road signs and put up Dixie ones as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Enjoy posted:

Remember to tear down the Yankee road signs and put up Dixie ones as well

Literally just coming to post this old shot from one of my games:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

RabidWeasel posted:

It is possible to overdo it though, like in Path of Exile where the concept of a "simple, normal playthrough" doesn't exist, because every character is a Frankenstein's Monster made out of at least half a dozen different systems intersecting and the game is designed around the idea that you will be actively attempting to break it as hard as you can all the time.

:thatsparadox: :haw:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Stairmaster posted:

i need a lovely mspaint drawing proof of concept before i can condone this idea

The central traits under Westernization are locked when you Westernize, and of course predefined for Western countries. Western states have a few predefined post-Napoleonic traits in the outer circle, while non-Western states have predefined traits in the central circle. You can Westernize when you've unlocked the prerequisites for 3 out of 8 (neighboring) outer slices. These are merely your entry points into the sphere grid though, you can eventually start moving laterally if you want to, and even abandon some traits at a later point if you want to transform your society.

I think the way I've ordered the overall headers makes sense, in terms of historical precedents. Tsarist Russia would for example start out with traits in the Autocratic, Centralized and Militarist group, where the most compatible path to democratization would be through Individualist, while a communist revolution might settle for the easy to grab Collectivist traits while maintaining all the other traits that defined both Tsarist Russia and the USSR. Similarly, centralizing the US would require passing through Militarist, which is pretty inline with its history.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yo can I westernize on a low budget? I can only afford 5 links, all those guides wank off with their mirrored regents and 6 link armies

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yo can I westernize on a low budget? I can only afford 5 links, all those guides wank off with their mirrored regents and 6 link armies

ez but a bit unintuitive out of left field (heh): go Zerker, path east to VP, done with some cast when damage taken merchants

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yes you can complete the campaign and even conquer most of the alternate worlds through the map device with a 5 link army on most builds.

you'll hit a wall at uber ming tho probably and don't even ask about "the modder" he's the final boss for a reason

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

What, you mean like in Path of Exile?? I like it! That's elegant and awesome. It gives some constraint and focus so you can do gamelike things, but doesn't pigeonhole players in a top-down fashion.

I was thinking about Final Fantasy X (the updated version where the sphere grid isn't almost completely linear) but Path of Exile has a good sphere grid too.

I'm a weirdo who liked the sliders in EU3 but sphere grids are kind of similar to that where it's fun to fiddle around with different configurations and imagine what it's supposed to represent, and they don't look like you're playing an old Windows program.

Also, it opens up all sorts of terrible new possibilities like:
Internet debates over the precise number of nodes that should separate the starting points for Macedonia and Albania
Cordoning off entire continents behind Westernization lock nodes
Making parts of the grid look like silly symbols and national stereotypes (make the Chinese area look like a big dragon or something)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

As long as I'm able to take Venice through Auron's part of the sphere grid I'll be happy.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

YF-23 posted:

As long as I'm able to take Venice through Auron's part of the sphere grid I'll be happy.

Take a short detour at the start to pick up Steal. It's worth it for almost every nation

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have no idea what this entire page has been talking about. Sphere grids? What? Links? Final Fantasy stuff?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I have no idea what this entire page has been talking about. Sphere grids? What? Links? Final Fantasy stuff?

a sphere grid is when you take a slightly branched skill tree and change the presentation by replacing all straight lines with curves

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Something like the endless space 2 leader skills?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Aha!!

I'm just messin' with you. I think it's a cool idea. :)

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 16, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

No that's a pretty poor implementation of a sphere grid, something like Path of Exile:
https://poeplanner.com/

Or from Final Fantasy
http://imgur.com/gallery/F5L0nkJ

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No that's a pretty poor implementation of a sphere grid, something like Path of Exile:
https://poeplanner.com/

Or from Final Fantasy
http://imgur.com/gallery/F5L0nkJ

Jesus gently caress, I thought the Endless Space 2 tech sphere thing was bad. How do people make heads or tails of that? What's the point of having that many options in some sort of... fighty game?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus gently caress, I thought the Endless Space 2 tech sphere thing was bad. How do people make heads or tails of that? What's the point of having that many options in some sort of... fighty game?

It looks overwhelming at first but it provdes a nice mix of 'guided choices'. Most tech trees have an issue of being either very railroady (civ 5 has a whopping two paths at some points) or way too open (civ BE lets you blitz to way too strong stuff too early)

Sphere Grids, out of the games that I've played, seem to do the best job of presenting a bunch of little changes that are both significant and deterministic. Each pickup you get takes you further down a path and locks you into those choices, with opportunities to change direction at significant points.

It looks like a lot of fiddle but when you play with those systems you get a bunch of cool choices and picks to make that have an impact, while hitting a nice mix of letting the pickups be strong because they're gated, but not in a very railroady way

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
This is the Path of Exile skill tree, it's the same for every character class (there are 7) but each of them starts in a different location, with only minor differences in starting stats. Thus you can either stay near your starting location for a thematic build or go off to different areas to take skills that synergise with one another in interesting ways.

efb

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 16, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Prav posted:

a sphere grid is when you take a slightly branched skill tree and change the presentation by replacing all straight lines with curves

Usually a key distinction between sphere grids etc. and skill trees is that your starting position on a sphere grid is meaningful and you will have various different starting points.

Baronjutter posted:

In PoE at least most of the points are nearly empty baseline stats / hp / damage nodes. They're filler between various super cool meaningful upgrades which might just be a huge damage increase or give a unique ability or something. You can go full sperg and try and calculate a highly efficient build or you can just aim for stuff that sounds cool.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

poe's sphere grid looks like a mess but in practice it's like eu4's idea groups - picking one idea leads you naturally toward other similar stuff that usually synergizes well together - except some idea groups are closer to each other than others and there's no need to take the full group if parts of it don't interest you. so a nation (say, venice) might start near plutocratic and be able to take those ideas quite early while aristocratic is on the other side of the grid and would require more points to get to for that nation. poland might start on the opposite side.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jazerus posted:

poe's sphere grid looks like a mess but in practice it's like eu4's idea groups - picking one idea leads you naturally toward other similar stuff that usually synergizes well together - except some idea groups are closer to each other than others and there's no need to take the full group if parts of it don't interest you. so a nation (say, venice) might start near plutocratic and be able to take those ideas quite early while aristocratic is on the other side of the grid and would require more points to get to for that nation. poland might start on the opposite side.

Yeah, having played Path of Exile, I think this is the reason why I think it'd really fit with Paradox's style and forges a happy medium between railroading and making things so open that your choice of nation doesn't matter at all in the end. Starting off somewhere else in the "idea grid" would give nations just enough texture to make them stand out while giving players the option to go totally ahistorical -- which is one of the attractions of Grand Strategy.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Baronjutter posted:

So in Final Fantasy X's sphere grid, each character starts on a specific position. Level ups in that game translate into "movement points" on the sphere grid, and you can activate, for that character, any node they are adjacent to. Not every node is adjacent to every other node near it - the grid is segmented off that way, and by blocking some paths that exist (you earn items throughout the game that allow you to open up those blocked paths). This results in the grid having pretty clear paths each character is supposed to take. For instance, Yuna is the white mage of that game. Her starting position sets her on a clear path that has healing spells, magic stat upgrades and so on. Auron is the tank character, and his section has ludicrous amounts of HP and strength nodes. If a player is determined enough, they can take Yuna and move her into Auron's section of the sphere grid and make her the strongest physical attacker on the party.

It's a system that gives the player a good amount of agency on how to develop their characters, and only really "forces" certain paths by making them the path of least resistance instead of penalising everything else.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

It's there an Endless Space 2 thread? I haven't seen it but I've been curious about the game. I have a soft spot for the first one because it was not offensively bad like so many other space 4x's have been lately.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A sphere grid doesn't have to be as insane as PoE's. FF10's sphere grid is smaller (though still quite large). I imagine a hypothetical grand strategy sphere grid would be a fair bit smaller. In FF10 you make those decisions over the course of 60+ hours after all, while you may want a Vicky 3 campaign to only last 15-20 hours, and you may not want players to spend much time in the grid.

The point of a sphere grid is that it's a deeply interlocking web with many paths to any one objective (on top of different start points like already discussed). It would create a good deal of flexibility in the direction you take your country.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 17, 2017

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

In a fit of whimsy, Victoria III's sphere grid turns out to be an abstract version of the same map of the world you've been staring at for the rest of the game!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

In a fit of whimsy, Victoria III's sphere grid turns out to be an abstract version of the same map of the world you've been staring at for the rest of the game!

whoa

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
i'm on board with this now

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

DrSunshine posted:

this is insanely good

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Japan is centrally positioned on the sphere grid like Kimahri to encourage pathing into other countries' areas, to represent Japan's enthusiastic acceptance of Western reforms

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Aha!!

I'm just messin' with you. I think it's a cool idea. :)
I think you mean:

:v:

Looking at that, I realized I excluded religion-science from my suggestion. Time to make a true sphere grid, not the circle grids calling themselves sphere grids.

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, having played Path of Exile, I think this is the reason why I think it'd really fit with Paradox's style and forges a happy medium between railroading and making things so open that your choice of nation doesn't matter at all in the end. Starting off somewhere else in the "idea grid" would give nations just enough texture to make them stand out while giving players the option to go totally ahistorical -- which is one of the attractions of Grand Strategy.
I definitely think it would be a workable solution for a Paradox game, for precisely this reason. Having a single common grid for all would also allow Paradox to put a lot of love into the generic traits, creating a really solid base which can be expanded upon later. When it is expanded upon, by adding additional traits to flesh out regions to allow for more historical-flavored gameplay, it'd then have the added benefit of a lot of that becoming a fun alternative for other countries too.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Just take it all the way and add Meyer-Briggs personality types

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It's there an Endless Space 2 thread? I haven't seen it but I've been curious about the game. I have a soft spot for the first one because it was not offensively bad like so many other space 4x's have been lately.

There's the Endless megathread.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ahh that explains why I couldnt find it, thank you!

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Just take it all the way and add Meyer-Briggs personality types
I suppose a 4D sphere would be neat, and offer the kind of complexity true Paradox fans crave.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think you mean:

:v:

Looking at that, I realized I excluded religion-science from my suggestion. Time to make a true sphere grid, not the circle grids calling themselves sphere grids.

I definitely think it would be a workable solution for a Paradox game, for precisely this reason. Having a single common grid for all would also allow Paradox to put a lot of love into the generic traits, creating a really solid base which can be expanded upon later. When it is expanded upon, by adding additional traits to flesh out regions to allow for more historical-flavored gameplay, it'd then have the added benefit of a lot of that becoming a fun alternative for other countries too.

and even if the stock grid was fairly simple modders could make the sphere grid monstrosities they always wanted to

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
After careful reflection, I'm in favor of the PoE style sphere grid replacing national ideas in EUIV.

Paradox, pls fix

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

After careful reflection, I'm in favor of the PoE style sphere grid replacing national ideas in EUIV.

Paradox, pls fix

Yeah I had no idea what I was looking at and thought these were joke posts making fun of some insane jrpg's convoluted skill system but now I'm actually sold.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Also think of the very many tears of the grognards at something being put in the game which is similar to a popular game of a different genre, thereby making it worse because ________

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

RabidWeasel posted:

Also think of the very many tears of the grognards at something being put in the game which is similar to a popular game of a different genre, thereby making it worse because ________

*By the next game* Paradox have ruined my ability to feel human after replacing the sphere grid with an oblate spheroid grid!