Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Magician Lord | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Jackbox Party Pack | NA | PAL | $24.99 / £18.99 / €20.99 (eShop Only)
Jackbox Party Pack 2 | NA | PAL | $24.99 / £18.99 / €20.99 (eShop Only)
Sky Ride | NA | PAL | $ ? / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only)
Sonic Mania | NA | PAL | $19.99 / £15.99 / €19.99 (eShop Only) (August 15)
Troll and I | NA | PAL | $29.99 / £24.99 / €34.99 (eShop Only) (August 15)

:siren: Buy Sonic Mania, it's really good. :siren:

(Don't buy Troll and I though)

ACA NeoGeo Magician Lord is a side-scrolling action game, and was one of the NeoGeo launch titles. Jackbox Party Pack 1&2 are both dropping, and do exactly what they say on the tin. Sky Ride is an indie action game where you fly on a hover bike around a map, fighting enemies. It's apparently not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I can't believe Troll and I even got the greenlight to be released. It's broken as gently caress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Welcome to the wonderful world of shovelware

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

aware of dog posted:

Ah okay. It's a small issue but kind of frustrating, and it's such a great game otherwise.

Except I forgot that sonic controls like absolute rear end in water :argh:
The "oxygen running out" music still gives me heart palpitations.

Frankston posted:

I can't believe Troll and I even got the greenlight to be released. It's broken as gently caress.
What's broken about it, out of curiosity? I've just seen it be un-recommended a number of times but I'm not sure why (aside from the price, holy gently caress).

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I've been wanting to play shovel knight for years and finally picked up the treasure trove the day I bought my switch. It's fantastic. Pretty much a must-buy if you haven't played SK before.
I keep buying Shovel Knight, playing the first level, saving in the town and never playing any further.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 17, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I keep buying Shovel Knight, playing the first level, saving in the town and never playing any further.

that is a dang shame because i just finished KING KNIGHT and its some straight up amazing music

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Frankston posted:

Personally I'm stunned that Mania released in a state where it takes 10-15 seconds to go to sleep from the quick menu. That used to be the kind of TRC violation that literally every console manufacturer would instantly fail you for.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Frankston posted:

It's $60AUD on the Aussie eShop

:laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Infinitum posted:

It's $60AUD on the Aussie eShop

:laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol::laffo::lol:
It's not quite that bad on the PAL eShop, but it being roughly $5 USD more than on the NA eShop is fairly unusual. Everything is usually 1:1 between USD and EUR, which is probably about right when you take into account the current exchange rate and the fact that the EUR price includes VAT. There are some exceptions though (the ACA NeoGeo games are $1 more on the NA eShop for some reason).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The animation on sonic and crew is amazing. So much personality is gained with those extra frames of animation.

As someone who has consistently been disappointed with every sonic game post-Sonic&knuckles, this game is such a breath of fresh air.

FWIW I have not noticed any slowdown or frame drops on the Switch with Sonic Mania. The UFO special stage does seem to run slower, but slower meaning 45fps or so instead of 60. The blue sphere levels seem like 60 to me. I'm sure digital foundry will have the full breakdown but the game runs very good overall.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 17, 2017

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

$50 for the Jackboxes? Yikes.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are both jackboxes worth it if I already have the third one?

Agreeing with them being pretty drat expensive to buy together. Wish they were bundled.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Are both jackboxes worth it if I already have the third one?

Agreeing with them being pretty drat expensive to buy together. Wish they were bundled.

The 2nd is pretty good.

The 1st is.. alright, but it's aged a bit compared to the rest.

I have finally had some time to sit down and play some games of Splat2n. It's good. Gotta hit lvl20 for the Dynamo Roller action :getin:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DalaranJ posted:

I probably already have GIMP on here, it's the principle of the thing.

If you still want old Paint it should now be a free app in the store. MS relented because people were complaining hard.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

irlZaphod posted:

What's broken about it, out of curiosity? I've just seen it be un-recommended a number of times but I'm not sure why (aside from the price, holy gently caress).
Gita at Kotaku did a great writeup on all its faults. A shame that we finally get a game about Norwegian trolls and it sucks arse.
http://kotaku.com/heres-the-nintendo-switch-game-fans-are-warning-people-1797908051

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Seems like you could tell that troll game is poo poo just by looking at the screenshots.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is that 2d neo geo platformer good?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Golf is the ultimate platformer if you think about it

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Golf is the ultimate platformer if you think about it

agreed.

neo turf masters is the 2nd best game on Switch.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Neon switch in stock at Amazon

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I loving love Slime-san. It's Super Meat Boy if it were more forgiving, less patient

How does this work?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fun Times! posted:

How does this work?

Every level is sectioned into four segments. So essentially if meat boy had checkpoints. Though really to me the four segments are discrete levels in their own right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hollow Knight when?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Sakurazuka posted:

Hollow Knight when?

Aren't the developers from these forums? Go ask them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Variable 5 posted:

Neon switch in stock at Amazon
Paging that real doll guy

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/898186572876599299
Splatoon 2 bundle with the Splatoon coloured Joy-cons available only in Walmart starting September 8th.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've never played a JackBox game before. Should I get #1 or #2? Both? Neither?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Rexroom posted:

Splatoon 2 bundle with the Splatoon coloured Joy-cons available only in Walmart starting September 8th.

Hnnngh I want that greeeeen... :negative:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Rexroom posted:

Does this mean I can buy the Joy Con now???

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

RCarr posted:

I've never played a JackBox game before. Should I get #1 or #2? Both? Neither?

#1 has Fibbage and Drawful, two of the best games ever.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Sorry to make a "___ would be perfect on the switch" post but

The Sims would legit be perfect on the Switch

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Sorry to make a "___ would be perfect on the switch" post but

The Sims would legit be perfect on the Switch

Too bad it's an EA property after they killed off Maxis...

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

irlZaphod posted:

Paging that real doll guy

Got one, thank ya.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Grey switches also in stock at Amazon.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Neons sold out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kinda ballsy to price your highly sought after console that's been selling like hot cakes bundle $20 higher than it would be separately. I used to think bundles were supposed to offer some small amount of value/savings.

Edit: my bad didn't see that it comes with a carrying case.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Not that you don't all already know this but Sonic Mania is so good. The second boss was amazing but what would have made it even better would have been bitcrushed sound samples of Mike Pollock saying "YEE HAW!" and Roger Craig Smith saying "Yippee!" when Eggman or Sonic got a combo, respectively.

I'm also terrible at the special stages, but looking back on it it took me probably a year and half in my youth to become a blue spheres savant so I guess I'll just deal with it till I git gud.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bought Sonic and I've been playing for five minutes here and there. As someone who never played the original and generally didn't play a lot of 8/16 bit stuff, this game is confusing. I'm still not sure what some of the game mechanics are which I'm sure are second nature to everyone who played it before. Like sometimes I mash some buttons and Tails lifts Sonic up and then sometimes I can break walls and then sometimes I just spin against a dead end or I hit an enemy and I toss my rings but then other times I hit an enemy and I kill them.

I feel like I just need to watch some kind of "sonic for idiots" youtube guide because I'm feeling kind of like a grampa who can't work a smartphone right now.

e: Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great game and based on what I saw I think that once I figure out what the gently caress is happening on screen and equate it to things I can make my fingers do then I'll have a great time with it. Definitely feel it'll be worth my $27.something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That second boss wasn't especially fun for my colorblind rear end, but was easy enough to beat without even really getting any combos.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

aka the worst kind of switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

irlZaphod posted:

aka the worst kind of switch

Still better than no switch

:colbert:

• Locked thread