Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm really excited for Dark Nights: Metal to hit trades (where I pick up all my comics). Something about everything I've heard is just hitting all those buttons of things I'll dig.

I get the DC newsletter for some reason, I must have entered a contest years ago, and in it Snyder calls it "Kirby meets Frazetta" and while I'm not too sure what that's supposed to mean, I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like there's not really as much buzz or excitement around this event as there usually is for these things, which is sort of an advantage in a way, but also a bummer on the other hand. It's clear that a lot of thought and creativity is being put into Metal, which is just really refreshing to experience after months of the only other major Comic Book Event this year being "But what if Captain America...was actually a Nazi all along????"

Watch it take the #1 spot of the week and month, easy fuckin' peasy.

edit: Since we're talking about it, I wonder how much of a coincidence it was that the Sandman Kirby Special came out the same day as Metal.
I am a bit sad that the backup there was a Tales of the DNA Project instead of, you know, Sandman. Newsboy Legion had a Newsboy Legion story that was pretty handy to read as background.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 17, 2017

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Was there an issue I missed for Metal or was it some sort of In media Res thing?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There were two prequel issues, called Dark Days: The Forge and Dark Days: The Casting. Yes, it is confusing.

But there was no setup to the League being forced to fight in Mongul's space arena, if that's what you're wondering. That's definitely supposed to be treated like we're jumping into one of the current adventures of the Justice League.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm not a new DC reader necessarily, been reading regularly for 5 years or so, but I had no idea what was going on for 80% of Metal. And yes I read the two prologue one-shots. I'll probably either wait for the trade and see if the whole thing makes more sense read all at once, or hope some website starts doing annotations to explain all the obscure references. Other than that, I can't see myself continuing to read it in singles.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the story told basically, if it helps (mostly because I can only remember the broad details without looking back at it.)

The Justice League are back from their latest adventure in space. They find a giant mountain has sprouted up out of nowhere in Gotham and go to investigate. They find a pod full of messed up people and an android. A team called the Blackhawks show up and take the JLs to special magic mystery land to explain. The leader is Hawkgirl who's quit being Hawkgirl.
Turns out the mountain people were Hawkman's team he put together to investigate the origins of N'th metal, who vanished with their mountain base (as seen in the prequel comics) to a place that's so mysterious it's figuratively on the other side of the known multiverse map.
Now they're back from the bad, bad extra multiverse dimension where a crazy bad demon force whatever lives and it's all linked to secret mythical Batman stuff and oops all that crazy business Batman was doing in the previous comics opened the door to that place. The android gets mad and busts up the place while various magic and metal-related DC characters (and Plastic Man as an egg) sense a disturbance.
In all the confusion, Batman slipped out on a raptor with the last shard of Nth metal to investigate back in the Batcave. He hears a weird noise, goes upstairs, sees a glowing bat shape and a diary Hawkman stashed for him. Then a character from Neil Gaiman's Sandman says "Hey."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 17, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AlmightyBob posted:

"For those of you who want to read comics on their tvs" who the gently caress wants that

I dunno, there's people who read comics on their phones, so why not go the opposite direction?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JimLee/status/897920828918030336
I dunno if Jim Lee can troll like Hickman, so I'm taking this as genuine :toot:

SMP
May 5, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

All of which is awesome to me, but I have to wonder if newer readers less familiar with that era of DC are gonna be psyched at all about these moments and nuances. Do they care that characters like the Metal Men and Blackhawks are being seamlessly reintegrated into the current DCU? Do they get as much of a kick out of the historical Hawkpeople visiting an ancient cult of Immortals who just so happen to include the Wizard Shazam, Ra's Al Ghul, and that evil lady vampire lady from I, Vampire? When Dream of the Endless pops up, do they get that it's all the more interesting and appropriate for this storyline because he is/was Daniel Hall, grandson of Carter and Shiera, whose presences are felt throughout the lore being reintroduced here for the first time?[/sub]

I have almost no clue about the greater DCU at large, I really just like the Bat-family of books and have read misc. other stuff. Metal doesn't terribly interest or excite me, no.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, a Hickman JL would get me to read more than 3 non-Mini DC books again for sure. I would even endure someone like Jim Lee on pencils for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://twitter.com/JimLee/status/897920828918030336
It's a shame Lee and Hickman can't afford a houses anymore. :(

Decius posted:

Well, a Hickman JL would get me to read more than 3 non-Mini DC books again for sure. I would even endure someone like Jim Lee on pencils for it.
The good news is that if Lee is on it, you'll only have to endure it for two or three issues.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Between the Murphy Batman story, the Busiek Batman story and now Demon it looks like DC is doing something right to get my hard earned money.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it's been like that for like a year now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If I were to gripe about one thing (and it is the internet so why not) it would be that DC is making these titles Graphic novels. I am trying to move away from buying single issues for limited series.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm just glad DC is finally giving a chance for diverse and underrepresented characters to shine, like Batman, Batman, Evil Green Lantern Batman, Evil Flash Batman, Batman, Evil Doomsday Batman, just generically evil Batman, Batman, and of course excited to see Batman finally get a mini-series early next year.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Batman, this week's Batman was deliciously (pun intended) strange and unpredictable. The first few pages I thought the set up was too crazy and figured I wouldn't get into it, but by the end of the issue I was grinning. It really feels like King is taking a great and unpredictable approach to story telling and it does wonders for the title, and has some great "out of the box" thinking going into it. I am still not a hundred percent sold on this gang war between Joker and Riddler, but I love Bruce's reaction to it and I appreciate how unique the take on this gang war feels.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I loved each of their reasons for why they should be the one to kill Batman. Also, Joker spouting really terrible jokes in a desperate attempt to find something he finds funny is growing on me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

glitchwraith posted:

I loved each of their reasons for why they should be the one to kill Batman. Also, Joker spouting really terrible jokes in a desperate attempt to find something he finds funny is growing on me.

Joker's reason why he should be the one to kill Batman and not the Riddler was great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey, remember the Mistic U comic that was announced for DCYou that we never got?
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/08/17/exclusive-zatanna-faust-and-more-enroll-in-mystik-u

quote:

MYSTIK U #1

Written by ALISA KWITNEY
Art by MIKE NORTON
Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

Leave the world of the mundane behind and step through the magical doors of Mystik U! After a tragic accident, a young Zatanna Zatara, under the guidance of Rose Psychic, enrolls in a mysterious university that teaches its students how to master their unique brands of magic. Will Zatanna fit in with her new classmates (Enchantress, Sargon the Sorcerer, Faust and more!) and unlock her true potential? Find out in this exciting bimonthly miniseries from novelist Alisa Kwitney (DESTINY) and Mike Norton (Revival, Runaways)!

On sale NOVEMBER 29 • 48 pg, FC, 1 of 3, $5.99 US • RATED T+

quote:

So what is Mystik U about?

Mike: Mystik U is about a sheltered show biz kid (Zatanna), a bitter rebel (Sebastian Faust, son of Felix), a split personality (Enchantress), a competitive premed student (new character Pia Morales), and an awkward prodigy (Sargon the Sorceror) all discovering that they have the capacity to perform real magic.

They’re enrolled at a university for the magically gifted, where the world’s most powerful practitioners of magic will mentor their fledgling talents…and try to discover which of them is fated to betray the others and become a powerful force of evil.

Sounds like we can expect plenty of magic. What else can we expect?

Alisa: Human stuff. The first year of college is a kind of theater where people improvise themselves—sometimes they change their names, and they might adopt a whole new way of dressing along with a new passion. It’s also a place where you might discover that, after years of being on the bottom of the food chain in high school, there are people who recognize your talents. But the opposite can also occur—you realize that you’re no longer the best in the class at something. Mystik U is very much a story of freshman orientation for Zatanna and the others, but on magickal steroids.

Mike: An interesting take on a story you may have thought you knew. I’ve really enjoyed looking at some of these characters in a way I never did before!

Is there a villain?

Mike: Gotta have a villain!

Alisa: There is definitely a villain, but there’s also an exploration of the villain’s journey. One of the things I always loved about Harry Potter was the unfolding of the story of the young Tom Riddle and how he came to be Lord Voldemort. If I could ask J.K. Rowling to write a book for me, it would be the complete tale of Tom Riddle’s school days at Hogwarts.

Some of your core cast members—like Sargon the Sorcerer—aren’t as well known. Why did you pick this particular cast?

Alisa: I wanted some of the more obscure magical characters from the DCU because I knew I would have the freedom to explore different aspects of them. For example, it seemed clear to me that Sargon should be from the Middle East. The historical Sargon of Akkad was the founder of a dynasty that ruled over what is now Iran and Iraq and beyond. I also wanted to look more closely at Sargon’s relationship with his ruby. Does it give him his powers, or enhance them? And at what cost?

I wanted a brooding, aloof, tormented Heathcliff type, because that’s always sexy, and Sebastian Faust fit the bill perfectly. I mean, he gets his powers because his father, the evil sorcerer Felix Faust, betrays him and uses him. And Faust (the son) needs to conceal his eyes with dark glasses because he’s not in complete control of his power. That’s just deliciousness to a writer. I don’t know why everyone hasn’t been clamoring to write more Faust.

As for Enchantress, I wanted to show a different side of her. I don’t see June Moon and Enchantress as a good girl/bad girl split, or a clear case of possession. I mean, who hasn’t gone to college and experimented a bit and discovered a new side of themselves?

And then there’s Zatanna. There’s so much expectation placed on her—she’s the one who comes into the book, and the school, with a reputation, with history and baggage. Everyone expects her to be the one to watch—so how does that impact on her? And what happens when she doesn’t perform as well as she—and everyone else—expects?

Pia, who is the new character, is clearly the most obscure. She thought she was on one track—medical school—until her powers manifested and she realized she had to figure out what to do with this new ability. She’s also snarky and opinionated. I get tired of seeing ensemble casts where the guys get all the funny lines and the girls are always left saying, “Come on, it’s time to get back to work.” Pia’s a bit of a wiseass.

These are all younger versions of the characters than we’re used to seeing. What went into designing their look in this series?

Mike: A lot of thought went into trying to make modern, real-life looks for the established characters. It was challenging and fun updating some of the more obscure characters too. This hasn’t been a part of the DCU I’ve had a lot of experience in, so it’s been a blast jumping in and playing.

We’ve definitely seen magical schools before. How does Mystik U differ from that other very popular wizarding school?

Mike: Well, that other school doesn’t have the House of Mystery or the House of Secrets on its campus! That’s one difference!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Sounds interesting. Seems Young Animal ish

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm just glad DC is finally giving a chance for diverse and underrepresented characters to shine, like Batman, Batman, Evil Green Lantern Batman, Evil Flash Batman, Batman, Evil Doomsday Batman, just generically evil Batman, Batman, and of course excited to see Batman finally get a mini-series early next year.

Ive been going back through a lot of the new 52 stuff lately and this really can't be emphasized enough.

At least YA is cool.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think the N52 was a bit more diverse at the start than things are now (I Vampire, Dial E, Animal Man, All-Star Western) but the imprints and constant special projects do make up for it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think the N52 was a bit more diverse at the start than things are now (I Vampire, Dial E, Animal Man, All-Star Western) but the imprints and constant special projects do make up for it.

I'd disagree that they make up for it. The main line is very safe and dedicated to characters they know will sell and that's why it's been successful. They've taken very few chances outside of Young Animal stuff and if you're not necessarily interested in those types of books then the main line hasn't offered much in the way of variety. Nothing in the main line offers a real change of pace or tone. For example at Marvel you have books like Spider-Man and X-Men and Avengers that offer one kind of story then you have books like Squirrel Girl and Gwenpool and Moon Girl that offer something else. And those are all main line books. DC doesn't really offer that kind of variety. Everything is just a various shade of a straightforward superhero book. And I totally understand why, it's because they're trying to rebuild their brand after the disaster that was the New 52. They've said as much. And I get it. But it's time to branch out. Give us a comedic Plastic Man book on the shelf next to a serious Batman. They can do that but they're just not ready to I guess.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The variant for RHATO 14 is amazing

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
If Red Hood would wore a scouter like a loving Saiyan, then I might just be tempted to read the book.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The variant for RHATO 14 is amazing

I'm honestly going to be disappointed if the Smart Bizarro thing is just 'Bizzaro is normal now and can also science', and not 'Super smart but just makes weird poo poo and is still off-kilter' like this variant implies.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

I'd disagree that they make up for it. The main line is very safe and dedicated to characters they know will sell and that's why it's been successful. They've taken very few chances outside of Young Animal stuff and if you're not necessarily interested in those types of books then the main line hasn't offered much in the way of variety. Nothing in the main line offers a real change of pace or tone. For example at Marvel you have books like Spider-Man and X-Men and Avengers that offer one kind of story then you have books like Squirrel Girl and Gwenpool and Moon Girl that offer something else. And those are all main line books. DC doesn't really offer that kind of variety. Everything is just a various shade of a straightforward superhero book. And I totally understand why, it's because they're trying to rebuild their brand after the disaster that was the New 52. They've said as much. And I get it. But it's time to branch out. Give us a comedic Plastic Man book on the shelf next to a serious Batman. They can do that but they're just not ready to I guess.

They don't think it will sell, and they're probably right.

Doom Patrol is doing ok (for an indie book, not for a big 2 title), but Shade, Mother Panic, and Cave Carson are all less than 10k, and Adventures of Forager is barely about that. They're the four worst selling regular books DC sold in July... The bi-weekly Green Lanterns book sold more than the entire YA line in July. The line is cool and basically all I'm buying from DC, but I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't long for this world.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They have to have expectations in check with the imprints. Prez having to compete in the same ballpit as Batman and Justice League two years ago is probably the reason they broke stuff off.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember reading that the YA line is partially intended to be something that makes its money through trade sales, but I don't remember if that was an actual thing somebody actually working at DC said, or what a random goon on here was theorizing.

At least they're at getting at least 12 issues each so far.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

X-O posted:

I mean they just announced Terrifics so maybe your wish will be granted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Newsarama is a doing an fun little retrospective of Captain Marvel

Part 1 https://www.newsarama.com/35699-an-oral-history-of-dc-s-shazam-captain-marvel-the-fawcett-years-part-1.html
Part 2 https://www.newsarama.com/35740-an-oral-history-of-dc-s-captain-marvel-shazam-the-fawcett-years-part-2.html
Part 3 https://www.newsarama.com/35763-an-oral-history-of-dc-s-captain-marvel-shazam-the-fawcett-years-part-3.html
Part 4 https://www.newsarama.com/35806-an-oral-history-of-dc-s-captain-marvel-shazam-the-lost-years-pt-1.html
Part 5 https://www.newsarama.com/35839-an-oral-history-of-dc-s-captain-marvel-shazam-the-lost-years-part-2.html
Part 6 https://www.newsarama.com/35855-an-oral-history-of-dc-s-captain-marvel-shazam-the-lost-years-part-3.html
Par 7 (Current part) https://www.newsarama.com/35984-an-oral-history-of-dc-s-captain-marvel-shazam-the-shazam-years-part-1.html

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

They have to have expectations in check with the imprints. Prez having to compete in the same ballpit as Batman and Justice League two years ago is probably the reason they broke stuff off.

What does this mean though? Is DC paying significantly lower page rates for YA? Do they have some sort of mechanism where they can make YA books cheaper? They are competing in the same ballpit. They're priced the same, they're both competing for reader dollars, they're both competing for the same investment dollars, and at the end of the day somebody is going to make a determination based on profitability - when the entire line is doing badly that's not going to go well.

I get that they're trying to start an imprint, but it's going to die in the cradle if they don't come up with a way to get a few hits. Which sucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not all artists get the same page rate.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Not all artists get the same page rate.

I realize that, but I look at the creators YA has used and I don't think they're aiming for significant discounts.

Maybe they are, who knows.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

After DCYou, I think they're obviously protecting special projects from the bottom line chopping block by compartmentalizing.

Each Young Animal comic has to eventually meet an expectation I suppose, but it's gotta be an entirely different one than the meat and potatoes Rebirth brand.

They don't even seem to be in the business of cancelling comics at the moment, but I'm sure everyone's more worried about Cyborg selling $12k than Mother Panic selling 5 (or whatever it is.)

Kamandi Challenge even being floated as an idea should tell you something.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
See I think putting it into a line protects it, but only if that line has some measure of success. Maybe Doom Patrol is successful enough to cover for Shade, Carson and Mother Panic. If they're all poor sellers though, it's a lot easier to just justify shutting down the entire line.

Who knows with comic companies though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
NW: New Order preview

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/08/17/exclusive-dc-preview-nightwing-the-new-order-1/

I'm intrigued.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That has nothing to do with the upcoming future fascist Batman story coming in Detective Comics (and previewed in the latest Batwoman) does it?

It's so weird that the two are happening at basically the same time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

That has nothing to do with the upcoming future fascist Batman story coming in Detective Comics (and previewed in the latest Batwoman) does it?

It's so weird that the two are happening at basically the same time.

No what's weird is that we're getting two completely different "Ex-Robin turns Fascist in the Future" stories at the same time and yet neither of them are Jason Todd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh, yeah. Did you know Jason turns into Nick Fury in the Batwoman/Dec future, D_T? Check it.