Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

violent sex idiot posted:

love the signing bonus fuckery to dodge both potential lockouts

Don't they need to have signing bonuses for the length of the contract to really dodge the impact? His salary in the last two years is almost certainly going to be less than what it is on paper today if it's not a bonus payment.

e: that could actually explain why Edmonton is willing to sign him for that much. If he's legit, he'll be a steal in those last couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

neon fuckin leon

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
can't wait for Larkin to get traded because Ken doesn't have the cap space for his second contract

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Jordan7hm posted:

Don't they need to have signing bonuses for the length of the contract to really dodge the impact? His salary in the last two years is almost certainly going to be less than what it is on paper today if it's not a bonus payment.

e: that could actually explain why Edmonton is willing to sign him for that much. If he's legit, he'll be a steal in those last couple years.

Existing contracts didn't get reduced in the last lockout.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

You don't need the word 'potential' in there.

Vegas' first major league sports team was and will always be the Las Vegas Posse. Once everyone's done googling that, come at me. :colbert:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Players get paid signing bonuses during a lockout/strike, but not the salary. So Leon gets his money regardless of there being a lockout or not.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

GuavaMoment posted:

You don't need the word 'potential' in there.

Vegas' first major league sports team was and will always be the Las Vegas Posse. Once everyone's done googling that, come at me. :colbert:

theres probably not going to be two lockouts back to back,

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

theres probably going to be two lockouts back to back,

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Every CBA negotiation for 25 years has resulted in either a strike or a lockout, because the NHL knows what it's doing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The NHL/NHLPA both have the opportunity to opt out in September 2019, shortly before the beginning of the 2019/20 season. Surely it would've made more sense to receive a signing bonus on July 1, 2019 to ensure he received most of his salary that year (as it's the most likely to be locked out) and not 2020/21...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The opt out has to be taken in 2019 but it's for the 20/21 season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
mcdavid/drai better than sid/malkin, come at me

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

Not true now and definitely won't be true in the future. Mcdavid might hit Sid's heights or better but Drai isn't even close to the caliber of Malkin nor will ever be.

A better comparison is Ovechkin/Backstrom but Drai isn't as good as Backstrom's peak yet either. Nicky B is kinda underrated and has been really fuckin' good for a long time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bewbies posted:

lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Plus Malkin is friend to animals. Has Draisatl shown any preternatural affinity with wildlife?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Speaking of Malkin, did this get posted and I missed it?

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/897655701010604032

I can't tell if this is self-deprecating or a burn on Ovie.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Columbus apparently still has a standing offer in place for Matt Duchene:

https://theathletic.com/85114/2017/...update-for-you/

Semi-related, The Columbus Dispatch apparently only has one hockey writer left on its staff because The Athletic poached both Portzline and Tom Reed. poo poo.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The opt out has to be taken in 2019 but it's for the 20/21 season.

Ah thanks, I didn't realize it was a twelve month countdown thing.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

bewbies posted:

At this moment it's probably a toss up with a slight edge to Crosby/Malkin but to the same point in their careers Crosby and Malkin were lightyears ahead of where McDavid and Draisaitl are now.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If your sport doesn't have a lockout it's because your union sucks. Owners aren't afraid of poo poo and see no reason to offer compromise to avoid a stoppage.

Even the MLBPA, what people generally considered a strong union, has been getting embarrassed by Tony Clark, who has no clue what he is doing, just so they can say "look! Labor peace!"

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The NHLPA has caved and been forced into signing hugely damaging labour agreements in three consecutive work stoppages.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

glynnenstein posted:

You can never tell with Malamud, he has a huge hate boner for both Ovechkin and the Capitals, and has no problem taking quotes out of context to make things sound more negative towards them or to get attention for himself.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Gunjin posted:

You can never tell with Malamud, he has a huge hate boner for both Ovechkin and the Capitals, and has no problem taking quotes out of context to make things sound more negative towards them or to get attention for himself.

I had to stop following him a while ago because of that. I've lost touch with a friend of mine who did some Russian translation services for the Capitals back around 2003-2008 who would be able to give me some better insight into this sort of thing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

glynnenstein posted:

Why not both?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://twitter.com/bookofloob/status/898196469391310848

https://twitter.com/jtbourne/status/898196622441684992

e: vvv :argh: God drat it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Helps if you include the subtweet :v:
https://twitter.com/bookofloob/status/898196469391310848

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

The NHLPA has caved and been forced into signing hugely damaging labour agreements in three consecutive work stoppages.

While no lockout means a bad union, yes lockout doesn't not necessarily mean a good one.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Malamud gets obnoxious with his (frankly) over-the-top hatred of Ovechkin but I do generally appreciate his perspective.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Man all the news this weekend sure has me fired up to have a vocal trump supporter on my favorite team :thumbsup:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Your fault for noticing the world view of a professional athlete.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

flakeloaf posted:

Your fault for noticing the world view of a professional athlete.

yah I know I usually don't look at the twitter accounts

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Levitate posted:

Man all the news this weekend sure has me fired up to have a vocal trump supporter on my favorite team :thumbsup:

is he telling trump to drip the gloves?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Pretty much all pro athletes have lovely politics unless they explicitly say otherwise, don't worry about it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's only true in American born dominated sports.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, soccer players and tennis players are fantastic people.......

wait, no.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
travis zajac being out for half the season sets the devils up nicely for the 2018 draft

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
also sergey kalinin is trash

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Aphrodite posted:

Can't tell if sarcastic or objectively wrong.

corn on the cop posted:

travis zajac being out for half the season sets the devils up nicely for the 2018 draft

woof, glad I decided against picking him on my Awesome Fantasy Hockey Team

*waits for news of Stamkos' leg being amputated*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Planning ahead ... on Oct 21 there is going to be an analytics conference at the Rochester Institute of Technology. It's going to have a lot of the same people who were at the one in Ottawa a few months ago. I really enjoyed that, so I'm planning to drive down for this one and will catch some college hockey at the same time. If anyone's in the area, there's more info on the signup page: https://www.rit.edu/science/moneypuck

• Locked thread