Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

aphid_licker posted:

I gotta admit I can't identify a single one of the stateless state bits

Stateless states is Antarctica without the icecap, quite a lot of it is underwater (though a lot of that will glacially rebound and I don't know if the map's taking that into account).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Count Roland posted:

1) CIS is an actual organization dominated by russia. Instead of it being lots of former soviet states its sub-saharan africa? I don't see why Mexico and central america would be there instead of the latin league.
The original idea for the map sprung from Russia's desire to be safe; hence dominating everyone around them until they only have a tiny little land-border. Sub-Saharan Africa got attached because it fit Russia pretty well, as did Mexico. It's the mixed bag of leftover countries/countries that fit geometrically, since Russia would be happy to dominate any country if they got the chance. Ukraine and Belarus managed to escape because they made Greenland fit Eurovision really well, plus they'd probably like a change of neighbors.

The Anglosphere is based on a similar concept; putting an ocean between its members and all these horribly people everywhere. Canada, the xenophile, was voted least likely to object to getting an exotic neighbor, hence sitting on the Indian Sea. South Africa definitely not voted to be allowed to join by the other members.

Following that, Europe can of course not deal with its Muslim neighbors, so for the good of everyone they moved to the other side of China. This should also reduce the risk of American interventions.

The Sinosphere is simply China getting some of what it wants too, asserting itself against its neighbors. No attention paid to the wishes of everyone else.

Greater India is just because it didn't fit anywhere else.

The Latin League is everyone (except for the escaped French Guiana, now sitting with the other Core French Territories in Europe) banding together against Russia. Russia is extremely threatened by this development. Called Latin because it's a broader term that includes Brazil.

Finally, the Stateless States are just states for the various stateless peoples. Some of them are surprisingly populous.

frankenfreak posted:

I want to see this given the full treatment from that one guy who had that website where he write up the climate and that stuff for an Earth with inverted elevation, a terraformed Mars etc.

e: http://www.worlddreambank.org/P/PLANETS.HTM

Apparently back when I made this map, I somehow managed to make the political map without a rebounded Greenland and Antarctica, which frankly look better when joined up with Europe/Indonesia. Orange = desert, yellow = dry steppes, light green = grassland, green = forests, dark green = rain forests

In this different timeline, it's not hard to imagine that cats might have evolved into becoming scantily-clad bipedal tool users. There are two main branches here, the tiger people of India and the Persian cat people of the Ummah. <-- Hope this is what you were looking for.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 17, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The original idea for the map sprung from Russia's desire to be safe; hence dominating everyone around them until they only have a tiny little land-border. Sub-Saharan Africa got attached because it fit Russia pretty well, as did Mexico. It's the mixed bag of leftover countries/countries that fit geometrically, since Russia would be happy to dominate any country if they got the chance. Ukraine and Belarus managed to escape because they made Greenland fit Eurovision really well, plus they'd probably like a change of neighbors.

The Anglosphere is based on a similar concept; putting an ocean between its members and all these horribly people everywhere. Canada, the xenophile, was voted least likely to object to getting an exotic neighbor, hence sitting on the Indian Sea. South Africa definitely not voted to be allowed to join by the other members.

Following that, Europe can of course not deal with its Muslim neighbors, so for the good of everyone they moved to the other side of China. This should also reduce the risk of American interventions.

The Sinosphere is simply China getting some of what it wants too, asserting itself against its neighbors. No attention paid to the wishes of everyone else.

Greater India is just because it didn't fit anywhere else.

The Latin League is everyone (except for the escaped French Guiana, now sitting with the other Core French Territories in Europe) banding together against Russia. Russia is extremely threatened by this development. Called Latin because it's a broader term that includes Brazil.

Finally, the Stateless States are just states for the various stateless peoples. Some of them are surprisingly populous.

Apparently back when I made this map, I somehow managed to make the political map without a rebounded Greenland and Antarctica, which frankly look better when joined up with Europe/Indonesia. Orange = desert, yellow = dry steppes, light green = grassland, green = forests, dark green = rain forests

In this different timeline, it's not hard to imagine that cats might have evolved into becoming scantily-clad bipedal tool users. There are two main branches here, the tiger people of India and the Persian cat people of the Ummah. <-- Hope this is what you were looking for.

This is word salad.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is word salad.
It's really not. Just open up your mind and realize that the process behind the map that I'm describing is not entirely logical.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Made a better version of this at 4am. Added the Afrosphere, put Central America and the Philippines into the Latin League, moved Belarus to the CIS since theyre both part of it and want to merge with Russia, moved Papua New Guinea and Israel (they were formerly just black and still are West of Alaska) to Stateless cause where else would they go, and filled in Greenland and Antarctica so people can actually recognize them.

Im tempted to add the Francophonie and "Anglo-protectorates" as sub layers if it wasnt so late.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is word salad.

Just keep jerking it to the nude cat fanfiction part, and the geopolitics won't matter that much.

Incidentally that's also how you have to watch the recent Game of Thrones seasons.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Kinda wanna make a civilization map based on that map.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So do they have wares or not?

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Byzantine posted:

So do they have wares or not?

Only if you have coin.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Communist Zombie posted:

Made a better version of this at 4am. Added the Afrosphere, put Central America and the Philippines into the Latin League, moved Belarus to the CIS since theyre both part of it and want to merge with Russia, moved Papua New Guinea and Israel (they were formerly just black and still are West of Alaska) to Stateless cause where else would they go, and filled in Greenland and Antarctica so people can actually recognize them.
Being more sensible is not the same as better. :colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Israel, as mentioned, should go in the Eurovision group, or alternatively with the Arab countries on account of the occupation and so on.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BonHair posted:

Israel, as mentioned, should go in the Eurovision group, or alternatively with the Arab countries on account of the occupation and so on.

If we're counting occupations, a third of the "Ummah" gets moved to Eurovision and another third gets split off into a new Zoroastrian group

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Communist Zombie posted:

Im tempted to add the Francophonie and "Anglo-protectorates" as sub layers if it wasnt so late.

Oh my God, what's wrong with your maaaaaap? Looks like it was in a car accident.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

So this mixes colonial history (Anglosphere), religion (Ummah), corporate standard organizations (Eurovision), irredentist claims (Sinosphere), and bullshit "where can I fit these guys".

You know this pseudocontinental view could be interesting if it was done according to a single common criteria.

Also I can't tell what's happening with the "stateless states" but if it doesn't include Palestine it's a missed opportunity.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's a map so dumb and pointless that there's really no reason to discuss or even mock it.

Random cool old maps:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kennel posted:

It's a map so dumb and pointless that there's really no reason to discuss or even mock it.

Random cool old maps:

Had a completed puzzle of this map on the wall for a long time. It's pretty.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

So this mixes colonial history (Anglosphere), religion (Ummah), corporate standard organizations (Eurovision), irredentist claims (Sinosphere), and bullshit "where can I fit these guys".

You know this pseudocontinental view could be interesting if it was done according to a single common criteria.
That's a fair critique, though I'd argue that the criteria is less mixed than you claim. The Anglosphere, Ummah and the Eurovision are all about identity, even if they don't have the same core idea behind them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Please explain to me which identity is shared between Mexico and Kazakhstan, and how this shared identity is stronger than other groupings you could make.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Please explain to me which identity is shared between Mexico and Kazakhstan, and how this shared identity is stronger than other groupings you could make.
Obviously I can't, which is why they aren't in the same bloc.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The map is kinda fun but very silly, but this:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Is hilarious.

I've spent a lot of time on that guy's really, really cool site, and it's always incredibly jarring when you get to the end of a planet he's talking about and he starts describing the lifeforms that might populate it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Kazakhstan is Russia's Mexico

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Kennel posted:

Random cool old maps:

Why is Paris so much more fortified on the Western side?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

Is green/brown a color blindness people have?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blut posted:

that's the northern side. the map is oriented such that the left side is the north side

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

boner confessor posted:

that's the northern side. the map is oriented such that the left side is the north side

Also, the Burgundians?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

boner confessor posted:

Yeah, it's oriented with the orient on top, as was the custom for a long time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

boner confessor posted:

Perfidious Albion! :argh:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Blut posted:

Probably something to do with the southern part (right) being built on hills and the northern part (left) being built in a swamp.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's a fair critique, though I'd argue that the criteria is less mixed than you claim. The Anglosphere, Ummah and the Eurovision are all about identity, even if they don't have the same core idea behind them.

My main problem is Eurovision since the inclusion of Western Russia and Turkish Thrace implies a continental identity that I don't think really exists.

It's going off an idealized Europe as geography, whereas the others seem to be a mix of cultural/religious identity. (Excluding the unifiliated states which I just think the author was too lazy to categorize)

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Blut posted:

The French aren't exactly known for their great placement of fortifications. :mmmhmm:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Dreddout posted:

My main problem is Eurovision since the inclusion of Western Russia and Turkish Thrace implies a continental identity that I don't think really exists.

It's going off an idealized Europe as geography, whereas the others seem to be a mix of cultural/religious identity. (Excluding the unifiliated states which I just think the author was too lazy to categorize)

Eurovision doesn't include Western Russia, it includes Greenland.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I mean I can understand Russia and Turkey as being European if you kinda squint a little and the room is dark enough, but Israel and Australia? Come on you're not even trying.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

why would you put the philippines in the latin league and not with the us

:psyduck:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Where's my map that depicts medieval France as an island ruled by a dolphin?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Where's my map that depicts medieval France as an island ruled by a dolphin?

No, it's the heir that's a dolphin, not the ruler.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dreddout posted:

The French aren't exactly known for their great placement of fortifications. :mmmhmm:

:cryingvauban:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dreddout posted:

In the bitter winter of 1449, a pack of hungry wolves entered Paris through its dilapidated walls.

Their leader was called Courtaud (“bob tail”).

They ate forty people before being lured to Île de la Cité and put down in front on Notre Dame.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

stone cold posted:

why would you put the philippines in the latin league and not with the us

:psyduck:

The Philippines loathes the US, probably.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Since when? Duterte certainly doesn't like the US, but the country still rates the US higher than anyone else, including the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

(this is huge, open in a new tab if you wish)