Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've got an issue with adding peppers to my dishes. I keep adding them until the food is at the spiciness I want, but by that point the pepper flavor is predominant. This happened when I added some serranos to salsa, and thai peppers to a tomato sauce. I mean, I like the flavor of a pepper but I don't want it to override the rest of the dish, I want the spiciness. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, am I somehow impeding or damaging the spiciness? It usually takes significantly more peppers than I expect to give the food the heat I want. The pepper flavor seems to get stronger as the dish ages, when I ate some of the tomato sauce next day it was even more noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Are you leaving or removing the pith/seeds? Leave them in for more heat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm really feeling spending €79 on a gallon of habanero tabasco because i can't get it in sizes between a gallon and 60ml

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

wormil posted:

Are you leaving or removing the pith/seeds? Leave them in for more heat.

Yep, I'm leaving them in. I'm still working off the same batch of Thai peppers and have quite a few left. They've been frozen, if that matters. If I eat a raw Thai pepper, it has a distinct but not overpowering peppery taste, but hoo boy it is a little bit out of my comfort zone for heat. Which is a good thing!

I ended up adding about 40 Thai peppers to my tomato sauce (chopped into very small pieces) before the heat level was where I wanted it, but by then the pepper flavor overcame all the garlic, onions, oregano, etc in the sauce.

I wish I knew what was going on! It's like, when I eat the pepper raw, the spiciness is the dominant characteristic, but when I put it in a dish, the pepper flavor becomes dominant.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Ignore the annoying branding, but this is pure unflavored capsaicin. It's expensive, but will last you basically forever. I use this to fine tune heat when I have gotten the flavor profile of what I am making to where I want. Sounds exactly like what you want.

http://www.hotsauce.com/Pure-Evil-Capsaicin-Drops-p/hsc-pure-evil-drops.htm

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, that stuff sounds real intense. I'll give it a try! Thanks! :)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Tobasco just released a Scorpion sauce, something like 20000 scoville. It's only available via ordering from their site or from their company headquarters in the state of Louisiana.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
sold out. darn it.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Doom Rooster posted:

Ignore the annoying branding, but this is pure unflavored capsaicin. It's expensive, but will last you basically forever. I use this to fine tune heat when I have gotten the flavor profile of what I am making to where I want. Sounds exactly like what you want.

http://www.hotsauce.com/Pure-Evil-Capsaicin-Drops-p/hsc-pure-evil-drops.htm

Lol those suggested uses are insane.

"Ever wonder what spraying mace into your beer would be like?"

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup! They know their idiot target audience.

I loving love the stuff though in very small doses. Put a single drop in a full bottle of Crystal, and it's still the best flavor of any Louisiana pepper sauce, but actually has a tingle of heat. Two is about right. Three is legit hot sauce.

Julio's fresh Salsa is the best tasting store bought salsa I have ever had, but even the "HOT" literally doesn't even tingle. 3 drops of Pure Evil, and it's salsa nirvana that will make your scalp sweat.

It's BEST use for me though is chili. My fiance likes a little spice, I like a lot. I can make a batch that is perfect for her, then just toss a single drop into my bowl and it's perfect for me.

Edit: I used to use "Pure Cap" and extolled it's virtues here too, but it definitely had the cap extract taste, and had a habit of sticking with the oil in a dish and rising to the surface so you got an uneven heat. This stuff has zero flavor and mixes in perfectly.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I wish I knew what was going on! It's like, when I eat the pepper raw, the spiciness is the dominant characteristic, but when I put it in a dish, the pepper flavor becomes dominant.

How would it not be dominant if there's loving 40 in a dish?
Use a hotter pepper instead of adding a whole plant.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Doom Rooster posted:

Yup! They know their idiot target audience.

I loving love the stuff though in very small doses. Put a single drop in a full bottle of Crystal, and it's still the best flavor of any Louisiana pepper sauce, but actually has a tingle of heat. Two is about right. Three is legit hot sauce.

Julio's fresh Salsa is the best tasting store bought salsa I have ever had, but even the "HOT" literally doesn't even tingle. 3 drops of Pure Evil, and it's salsa nirvana that will make your scalp sweat.

It's BEST use for me though is chili. My fiance likes a little spice, I like a lot. I can make a batch that is perfect for her, then just toss a single drop into my bowl and it's perfect for me.

Edit: I used to use "Pure Cap" and extolled it's virtues here too, but it definitely had the cap extract taste, and had a habit of sticking with the oil in a dish and rising to the surface so you got an uneven heat. This stuff has zero flavor and mixes in perfectly.

Sounds good! Not a fan of the extract taste so that one sounds palatable at least.

The only time I've ever put myself in gastrointestinal distress was with extracts though. I can eat fresh peppers with little to no issue and I have a ton of dehydrated habenero flakes that I put on just about everything.

Had some Nashville hot chicken a while back and got the hottest heat level and I could tell it was just a few drops of an extract on the chicken. I woke up at like 3 in the morning feeling like I swallowed molten lead while sweating profusely.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you're using extracts, make sure you're the one applying it and that you know how much is being added. Overdoing that stuff is a recipe for puking a fireball in the middle of the night.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Khablam posted:

How would it not be dominant if there's loving 40 in a dish?
Use a hotter pepper instead of adding a whole plant.

Sure, I get that. But the question isn't so much "why did the pepper flavor override the entire dish" and more "why did the pepper flavor / heat ratio change", if that makes sense.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Sounds good! Not a fan of the extract taste so that one sounds palatable at least.

The only time I've ever put myself in gastrointestinal distress was with extracts though. I can eat fresh peppers with little to no issue and I have a ton of dehydrated habenero flakes that I put on just about everything.

Had some Nashville hot chicken a while back and got the hottest heat level and I could tell it was just a few drops of an extract on the chicken. I woke up at like 3 in the morning feeling like I swallowed molten lead while sweating profusely.

I guess the moral of the story is that if you're using extracts, make sure you're the one applying it and that you know how much is being added. Overdoing that stuff is a recipe for puking a fireball in the middle of the night.

Whose hot chicken? I have a suspicion about a couple of places here in Nashville that use extracts instead of peppers.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

QuarkMartial posted:

Whose hot chicken? I have a suspicion about a couple of places here in Nashville that use extracts instead of peppers.

It was pepperfire. Only reason I suspect they had extract is because they look entirely identical to the "hot" except they are slightly more bitter and it had no extra pepper flavor, just heat. Felt like my mouth and lips were sunburned lol.

:supaburn:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

It was pepperfire. Only reason I suspect they had extract is because they look entirely identical to the "hot" except they are slightly more bitter and it had no extra pepper flavor, just heat. Felt like my mouth and lips were sunburned lol.

:supaburn:

I was afraid of that. I like them a lot because the heat levels are so consistent, but I've also not eaten their hottest.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Sure, I get that. But the question isn't so much "why did the pepper flavor override the entire dish" and more "why did the pepper flavor / heat ratio change", if that makes sense.

Pretty sure when you cook with peppers they lose some of their heat. I know if you throw them in a pan and breathe in the steam it's like being pepper sprayed so there's got to be some residual capsaicin that evaporates with steam. Seems like they only really retain their heat when it's in a sauce or something oily to trap the capsaicin in. Not sure why the flavor would change though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Capsium extract tastes like rear end oil. I'd try some sauces with them first.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lucky Dog is GREAT in the way of flavor, but their heat seams to vary so much.
I'm in no way a "I survived this" hot sauce kind of guy, and Lucky's got the flavors down just right but I wish he'd kick it up a bit. If I'm going to put hot sauce on something I want to put HOT SAUCE on something, not question if it was marinara or pineapple juice.
I don't want the flavors turned down, just the heat kicked up a bit. I dunno, maybe you can't do that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

scorpion tastes similar to habs, which seems to be their hottest, with more heat. I'm a big fan of a pickled scorpion/scotch bonnet but look around for similar ingredients to them but scorpion.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Went on vacation and might have gone a little nuts on hot sauce.

New haul:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I somehow ended up with a bottle of Nando's extra extra hot peri peri sauce this weekend, and I gotta say, I like it for a 'splashing on sandwiches' hot sauce.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ran into the makers of this sauce at a local farmers market. This one manages to be both delicious and super hot, not always an easy combo to pull off.

"Newbury Street Nightmare"

http://www.bostonballistichotsauce.com/

They grow their own peppers! Not many small time sauce makers do that.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Pretty sure when you cook with peppers they lose some of their heat. I know if you throw them in a pan and breathe in the steam it's like being pepper sprayed so there's got to be some residual capsaicin that evaporates with steam. Seems like they only really retain their heat when it's in a sauce or something oily to trap the capsaicin in. Not sure why the flavor would change though.

The only way I've found to cook peppers without drastically reducing the heat level is a quick blanch in boiling water. This is my preferred way of making simple vinegar sauces.

angor posted:

Went on vacation and might have gone a little nuts on hot sauce.

New haul:

Wow, a Grace sauce made from Habs and NOT Scotch Bonnets? That seems like heresy.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 15, 2017

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Liquid Communism posted:

I somehow ended up with a bottle of Nando's extra extra hot peri peri sauce this weekend, and I gotta say, I like it for a 'splashing on sandwiches' hot sauce.

This is exactly what I use it for!

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

pahuyuth posted:

Tobasco just released a Scorpion sauce, something like 20000 scoville. It's only available via ordering from their site or from their company headquarters in the state of Louisiana.

uber_stoat posted:

sold out. darn it.

They are making a second batch and taking orders now on their website, FYI.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
These ghost peppers:

Got turned into these bottles of hot sauce.

Ghost peppers with all seeds removed, roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, carrot, cider vinegar, white vinegar, salt.

After about 2 weeks of mellowing, it's loving excellent. Flavor is great, but not overpowering, not too much vinegar, so it matches well with a TON of stuff. The way the heat comes on is really cool. It hits almost instantly, and it is intense but not painful. It just stays exactly the same level of spicy for like 60 seconds, then starts to fade. My goal here was a good general purpose sauce, and I am very pleased with it.

Since making those bottles though, I've harvested 7 more ghost peppers, so am looking to make another batch or two of more specialized sauces. Something sweet and fruity maybe, then something dark and savory?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Doom Rooster posted:

These ghost peppers:

Ghost peppers with all seeds removed, roasted red bell pepper, onion, garlic, carrot, cider vinegar, white vinegar, salt.

After about 2 weeks of mellowing, it's loving excellent. Flavor is great, but not overpowering, not too much vinegar, so it matches well with a TON of stuff. The way the heat comes on is really cool. It hits almost instantly, and it is intense but not painful. It just stays exactly the same level of spicy for like 60 seconds, then starts to fade. My goal here was a good general purpose sauce, and I am very pleased with it.

Since making those bottles though, I've harvested 7 more ghost peppers, so am looking to make another batch or two of more specialized sauces. Something sweet and fruity maybe, then something dark and savory?

Looks fantastic! If you're looking for something darker maybe try roasting peppers on the grill to get some roasty toasty smoke flavor

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Saw pure evil mentioned earlier in the thread and I would like to warn anyone considering it that spilling it on yourself will ruin your life for several weeks and ruin your pants. My leg burned for 2 weeks (it's even worse in the shower..), my pants burned and I could taste the spiciness in my nails for upwards 3 weeks, something I was painfully reminded of every time I scratched my eyes.

It was hilarious.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Highblood posted:

Saw pure evil mentioned earlier in the thread and I would like to warn anyone considering it that spilling it on yourself will ruin your life for several weeks and ruin your pants. My leg burned for 2 weeks (it's even worse in the shower..), my pants burned and I could taste the spiciness in my nails for upwards 3 weeks, something I was painfully reminded of every time I scratched my eyes.

It was hilarious.

loving Christ. I just casually read this thread and have always wondered how hot some of you guys go but now I'm not sure I should even be here.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Nah, I was plugging Pure Evil. It's an additive, not a direct sauce. You use a few drops of it to add heat without flavor.

But yeah, do NOT let it touch you.

Jmcrofts posted:

Looks fantastic! If you're looking for something darker maybe try roasting peppers on the grill to get some roasty toasty smoke flavor

Indeed. Will probably go the smokey route for the darker sauce. Maybe smoke my own jalapenos to make chipotles, then do a chipotle ghost pepper, cumin, garlic or something that would go well on tacos.

Probably then a pineapple, or peach, or papaya, really bright fruity sauce, that will also go well on tacos.

These choices may change, because apparently I am just craving tacos right now.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 15, 2017

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Doom Rooster posted:

These ghost peppers:

So this is a cooked sauce, yeah? Boil the peppers with the onion, garlic, and carrot, then blend and strain (or maybe not strain, to keep it kinda thick)?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup.Roughly:

Boil carrots, onion and garlic with as little water as you dare. I went lid on boiling, with only enough water to about 3/4 cover the veggies.

Once the carrots are tender, add the chopped red bell peppers, and the finely sliced ghost peppers, then add vinegar (cider to white is your call) to just barely cover everything. Boil lid on unless you want to mace your house.

Once the peppers are completely tender, turn off heat and let cool for a few minutes, then stick blender it to hell. You want the sauce to still be hot, but not hot enough that the blender aerosolizes it.

Salt to taste.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

These ghost peppers:

Great job, this looks fantastic!

Make sure you give some away, without adding anti-oxidants, home made sauce will start to turn funky colors in a few months, even if you fridge it. :smith:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Dunno if something I added naturally has helped out, but this recipe is pretty much identical to the batch I did 2 years ago, and over that 2 years, the only color change was a VERY slight loss of brightness.

I have given away about half of the bottles already though since there is no way I'll go through even close to 12 bottles before next year. Add on that I'l be making another 12 or so soon, and yeah... Gifts galore!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Advice please!

I've been on a fermenting/pickling kick and I decided to make a fermented hot sauce. So six weeks ago I buy just over a pound of scotch bonnets, washed and stemmed them, and coarsely puréed in my processor with 5% kosher salt. There's definitely flavor development, right now it tastes very much like the local Jamaican place's house sauce.

Two questions:

1: all the recipes say at least three months and up to years. I've got almost a quart so I'm thinking of harvesting a quarter every three months and doing a sort of solera with what's left next summer. Any reason not to?
2: to make a tabasco style sauce I add vinegar and age some more, right? What are my ratios here, and do I do the second age with the full puree or do I put it through a food mill with the vinegar and age the result?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

5 dollar rotissorie chicken from costco + peri xtra hot is my jam

Snorri
Apr 23, 2002
So I did a thing and inadvertently stocked up on sauce (there was a sale):

I have been keeping up on the Hot One's on YouTube and figured I had to try Dirty Dick's Hot Sauce since everyone kept saying how good it was. And I will tell you right now, I have finished a bottle a week. It is glorious. It is quite sweet from the mangoes, pineapple, banana, and raisins, but also around 50,000 scoville units. I have eaten most of a bottle in one sitting.

And I also tried some from Fuego Box:

Of these the cherry reaper is great in general and the Spooky White is very vinegary and is quite good on chicken. The Hotter Than El is pretty good, but not a lot different from cheaper sauces (at $8 a bottle). The Maple Oatmeal Stout is disgusting. The Corine's No. 23 is very mustardy and I think will be great on a sandwich. The Chocolate Spooky is...interesting. I would suggest you convince a friend to buy it and then taste it, not really worth $8.

And I wouldn't bother with Dick's green peach sauce, it is also disgusting.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

My coworker makes hot sauce and has a challenge. Take a spoonful and try not to drink anything for 10 seconds. She uses scorpions and scotch bonnets.

Of course I'm going to try it.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Missing Name posted:

My coworker makes hot sauce and has a challenge. Take a spoonful and try not to drink anything for 10 seconds. She uses scorpions and scotch bonnets.

Of course I'm going to try it.

Trip report: I pooped magma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm sorry. Scorpions, as in, the bug? She grinds up bugs in her hot sauce?