Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I was purged during Legacy and finally have some time to play 3.0.

If someone could toss a guild invite to WatchTeenWolfOnMTV, I'd appreciate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are there any generalizations that can be made about the sorts of builds that can reliably do Guardians/Shaper, but aren't also stupidly expensive just to get started?

Like... 2H builds, wand builds, spell builds, crit builds, ailment builds, etc.?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Awesome! posted:

is your spectral throw build bad at single target even if you swap gmp for slow proj

it definitely helps but it feels sucky to play and you still gotta do things

as opposed to "i'm gonna stand here and channel icestorm and nothing can kill me"

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

How are golem builds in 3.0? Starting to build up some good currency now, and I do have the ability to try one of the more expensive builds like that. Still fun and viable? Never done one before.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

How are golem builds in 3.0? Starting to build up some good currency now, and I do have the ability to try one of the more expensive builds like that. Still fun and viable? Never done one before.

if you can afford an anima stone and loads of primordial harmony jewels it wrecks things

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Are there any generalizations that can be made about the sorts of builds that can reliably do Guardians/Shaper, but aren't also stupidly expensive just to get started?

Like... 2H builds, wand builds, spell builds, crit builds, ailment builds, etc.?

I have a question in the same vein for a build that can keep farming the hardest bosses, but instead of budget I got 400c to toss around.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Hello, I am extremely new to the game, with my first character at level 21 or so. I just killed the bandit leaders.

I've been vaguely following this build - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1934415 - solely because I really like Lacerate's animation. I looked through the thread and didn't see any thoughts about the skill or about Slayers generally, though. What do people think? Any pro tips?

So far I am having a blast, playing with my wife (summoner witch) and a friend (heavy strike berserker). Just looking out for things to anticipate or plan for!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

that's what I'm thinking but I'm not sure if you can still sustain being alive with mf gear

the real answer might be dark pact
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1956548

i mean bisco's collar is multiple times better than the other slots combined because quantity is all that matters. you'll kill all the trash as quick as you can shield charge through it on low maps.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
J and Jazerus

Could you look at my profile again and look at the staff I crafted and tell me if it is good or bad please.

Thanks!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'm reading 3.0.1 patch notes and desperately failing at English in the first morning minutes.

quote:

Minions spawned by Harbingers were granted a resistance to all damage types that decayed over time. This is now multiplicative with other forms of damage taken. This change means they that can't be trivialised by Wither, Shock and other modifiers to damage taken.

Does this say that Harbinger summons had "decreased damage taken" decaying over time, whereas now they have "less damage taken" decaying over time?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
That's how I'm reading it.

So :rip: me being able to just Blight all over them.

Xalidur posted:

Hello, I am extremely new to the game, with my first character at level 21 or so. I just killed the bandit leaders.

I've been vaguely following this build - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1934415 - solely because I really like Lacerate's animation. I looked through the thread and didn't see any thoughts about the skill or about Slayers generally, though. What do people think? Any pro tips?

So far I am having a blast, playing with my wife (summoner witch) and a friend (heavy strike berserker). Just looking out for things to anticipate or plan for!

Build seems sound. Keep in mind that the sword he says you should aim for only drops from the very very very very very very endgame boss (read: really hard for a first timer to get a hold of).

Other than that, :black101: away

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 17, 2017

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Finally finished my 1st playthrough of 3.0 (after not playing since rogue exile league or whatever back when act 3 was the limit). Game feels so much better now, not having to replay acts repeatedly for progress. Of course, you do sort of revisit the content, but it feels different enough the 2nd time around, especially with all the god fights. Act 8 was probably my favorite, though I had some trouble with the Doedre fight before noticing the valve. This was also my first time doing the masters stuff and their stuff seems like a great fit for giving a bit of daily quest motivation and a nice way to remove some of the hassle of crafting items. Only done a few maps to touch on zana's quests but the mapping system seems nicely improved also. And item filters are fantastic, just been using Neversink's but it's a huge QOL improvement. And the labyrinth is awesome! Such a cool dungeon that makes you actually care about dying (I could never play hardcore in a game where death can be so.. sudden). Great to see how much it's improved and succeeded as a free-to-play, the devs are obviously doing great work.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I've gotten back into PoE for 3.0 as well (having last played during Perandus). I'm running an Essence Drain / Contagion build, and so far it's been a cake walk. Bosses can take a little while to whittle down at this point, but I've never felt threatened at all.

One thing I've noticed is that currency seems way more common in this league. Is that similar to everyone else's experience? It's nice because it means I'm happier dropping a few alchs/chaos to get myself gear upgrades rather than feeling I need to save every bit of currency for my end-build gear.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

shaper is a dps check and a "avoid bullshit" check, you can gear for the first but fail during the fight the latter

the cheapest build imo right now should be RF SR, as was posted in this very thread when it did shaper on day 2 :colbert:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fixit posted:

J and Jazerus

Could you look at my profile again and look at the staff I crafted and tell me if it is good or bad please.

Thanks!

the +2 fire gems is the only relevant modifier, so bad. attack speed doesn't apply to casting srs, only cast speed.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

shaper is a dps check and a "avoid bullshit" check, you can gear for the first but fail during the fight the latter

the cheapest build imo right now should be RF SR, as was posted in this very thread when it did shaper on day 2 :colbert:

What is a good rf Sr build. I don't know which ascends are good.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

pohx's RF beserker uses SR, but its unlinked.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

From what I gather, zerk is for clear speed of trash, inquisitor for bosses and MoM builds, trickster can also do RF, scion can probably RF but likely not as good as the rest, chieftain has the highest health regen but zerk is probably better overall.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Xalidur posted:

Slayer Lacerate is good, I got far with it last league. Granted, I went with a Soul Taker and Advancing Fortress because I felt like using a build that took advantage of the claw. Just because Slayer has twohand damage nodes doesn't mean you have to use twohanders...

Goa Tse-tung posted:

What kind of DPS do you need against Shaper? I seem to remember 200k being the target, is that still correct?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How can I deal with reflect on my crit flicker strike slayer? I think there's an ascendancy that can reduce reflect by some amount? I'll take that tonight after merc lab but as it is i literally die before I can let off my flicker button.
It's really hard, basically. Just rerolling phys reflect on maps is probably the easiest way until you can afford Atziri's Acuity, which last I looked were going for 14ex+ and even that might not be enough if you're one-shotting yourself.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
^^^ if you have a surplus blue socket you can run phys to lightning or swap out gloves for Hrimburn

McFrugal posted:

What kind of DPS do you need against Shaper? I seem to remember 200k being the target, is that still correct?

seems good yeah, obv more is better

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Does this mean you can't do it as Flicker Strike, since standing in the bullshit or not is out of your hands?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zephro posted:

Does this mean you can't do it as Flicker Strike, since standing in the bullshit or not is out of your hands?

I mean, get mirrored gear and VP and outleech him, sure. You'll be flickering while on top of vortices, means Zana survies, which is good for you.

Although I realized you will die do Slams, probably. Depends on where you land after each strike, idk I don't flicker :D

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 17, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

does it count if you use molten strike for single target?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP813kdoURk

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
My character is stagnating.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Kytrarewn

The guy who made the build claims that it can reach t15, but I'm having severe damage issues at t10 already: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1839547 . I certainly have some upgrades that I can make (most notably, I can finish the map trials and find someone to carry me through uber lab for +40% damage, but that's a one-time fix), but beyond that I'm having trouble deciding what I should focus on upgrading. Clearly, with Unwavering Stance and Acro, I pretty much need to get MaxLife on every piece of gear I can, since evasion does nothing and armor is halved.

Path of Building currently puts my Firestorm average hit at 4165 damage. Adding Aspect of Carnage to that brings it to 5848. From that point, replacing my weaker scepter with an average Catalyst brings me to 6067. That's a fairly small difference for how expensive a catalyst is, before or after AoC.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing? I've even made some different, more DPS-focused choices than the guy who made the build (Kraityn for movespeed/castspeed rather than +2 points, Retribution moving toward the Discipline node rather than ev/life nodes near Acro). Eventually, I'd like to get a Belly, but my current chest gives me 5L and a decent chunk of life (average Belly would add 350hp).

What do I need to do to make this work (With the understanding that getting Uberlab is my top priority)?

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

My character is stagnating.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Kytrarewn

The guy who made the build claims that it can reach t15, but I'm having severe damage issues at t10 already: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1839547 . I certainly have some upgrades that I can make (most notably, I can finish the map trials and find someone to carry me through uber lab for +40% damage, but that's a one-time fix), but beyond that I'm having trouble deciding what I should focus on upgrading. Clearly, with Unwavering Stance and Acro, I pretty much need to get MaxLife on every piece of gear I can, since evasion does nothing and armor is halved.

Path of Building currently puts my Firestorm average hit at 4165 damage. Adding Aspect of Carnage to that brings it to 5848. From that point, replacing my weaker scepter with an average Catalyst brings me to 6067. That's a fairly small difference for how expensive a catalyst is, before or after AoC.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing? I've even made some different, more DPS-focused choices than the guy who made the build (Kraityn for movespeed/castspeed rather than +2 points, Retribution moving toward the Discipline node rather than ev/life nodes near Acro). Eventually, I'd like to get a Belly, but my current chest gives me 5L and a decent chunk of life (average Belly would add 350hp).

What do I need to do to make this work (With the understanding that getting Uberlab is my top priority)?

You have a lot of odd choices on your main gem setup. Kraityn doesn't work with cwc. You'll want to swap your bandit reward to +2 points.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Mr. Whale posted:

You have a lot of odd choices on your main gem setup. Kraityn doesn't work with cwc. You'll want to swap your bandit reward to +2 points.

It does work for stacking scorching ray for damage and debuff, though. Plus, it adds chance to dodge (stacks with acro) and movement speed (best stat in the game). I'm actually pretty confident in this choice.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Something I've wondered for a while, since I've never reached the ultra-endgame (lvl 85+): How important are +20 quality skill gems? Are they required for super high tier stuff, and what's the best way to get them?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

it depends on the ability/build, but each gem at 20% quality is usually like 10% extra damage in one way or another, so it adds up. you get one for "free" if you level a gem to 20, but the best way to get them at a reasonable time is just to buy ~18 quality ones off poe trade and then prism to top them off.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

It does work for stacking scorching ray for damage and debuff, though. Plus, it adds chance to dodge (stacks with acro) and movement speed (best stat in the game). I'm actually pretty confident in this choice.

Why Culling Strike? Why not Elemental Focus for the huge more% multiplier? I don't think you are trying to ignite things with Vaal Pact Firestorm and Searing Ray will apply it's burn DoT even with Elemental Focus because it doesn't "hit" This alone will give you a flat out 50% overall damage buff at gem level 20.

Get a 20% elemental damage Atziri's Promise flask as well. That's a good chunk of damage and survivability through leech right there.

Pretty sure these changes + the 40% more damage node in Zerker will be plenty to clear bosses once you get your gear to that level as well.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So I was using poe price to check my stash, and I got some results that seemed...weird. Either prices too high or that returned 0 results. Would goons mind taking a look?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Awesome! posted:

does it count if you use molten strike for single target?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP813kdoURk

I have been corrected, this seems very good.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Tulip posted:

So I was using poe price to check my stash, and I got some results that seemed...weird. Either prices too high or that returned 0 results. Would goons mind taking a look?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5sk0RUlS4

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I started the game for the first time with a Ranger the other day, and now I'm level 30ish and about to end Act 3. I went all the way straight to the right with my skill points, and now I'm going downward to get the life and resist passives. Going straight offense with split piercing arrows worked for a while, but now things are actually starting to hurt me and I know I need some defense. The game is a lot of fun! I'm afraid to look and see if I'm too far off the Tornado Shot build in the OP to go back now.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
You get 20 refund points from quests which would be enough to refund 2/3 of your tree right now, I wouldn't worry.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Fixit posted:

J and Jazerus

Thanks!

While it sucks that you didn't happen to get any mods besides the +2 fire that actually do anything, it does have open suffix slots to have blood magic crafted on it. You could craft blood magic on it and just use that staff till way later when you have money to make a +3 staff, or you could try for a better staff by buying some more essences and rolling the dice again. Up to you. By far the most important things to have are +2 fire and blood magic. Right now I'm using a +3 staff that has 3 lines on it - +1 gems, +2 fire, and blood magic. Spending 2ex to multimod cast speed and strength is something I'll do eventually but I have more cost effective upgrades to buy first, so I don't really miss the other mods on the staff.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

I did it, I've tried to play this game many times and finally got to the end of all the acts and started doing maps. I think the new way of having 10 acts is great, feels like a full game now :)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Shayl posted:

I did it, I've tried to play this game many times and finally got to the end of all the acts and started doing maps. I think the new way of having 10 acts is great, feels like a full game now :)

your ours now :getin:

what build you got?

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

your ours now :getin:

what build you got?

It's a quad-frostbolt totem Templar Heirophant build. It apparently is great for clearing but bad for bosses. It's been a lot of fun though. Frostbolts everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm starting on T10ish maps with a Wild Strike zerker and having a few issues. This is my first time doing end game content with a melee class and I'm not sure what to do on bosses when facetanking isn't cutting it.

I probably just need to gear a bit better but I'm in that spot where changing any piece likely means changing a bunch to get the resistances to work out.

I'm tempted to go back to my ED MOM trickster but the clear speeds were terrible.