Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
skaven unit sizes are fine. they're apparently cheap as hell, and you can summon more of them in battle. i think they chose to show their swarmy nature by being able to roll around with two stacks or whatnot, instead of making really huge individual units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Deakul posted:

Disappointingly small unit sizes for Skaven and looks like the warp fire throwers need really specific positioning to be of any use at all.

The worst part of the video I saw was that warpfire throwers had an "obstructed, cannot fire" icon when trying to shoot the enemy through the backs of other skaven

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
One of the streams showed skavenslaves costing ~90, with upkeep of 17

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaza42 posted:

The worst part of the video I saw was that warpfire throwers had an "obstructed, cannot fire" icon when trying to shoot the enemy through the backs of other skaven

NNNNooooooooo

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Also looks like no Warplock Jezzails or Ratling Guns in the building browser, probably in a DLC later?

They still look rad as hell, the Clanrat summon looks super cool where they all just pour out of a burrow real Skaven like

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kaza42 posted:

Oh gently caress... you're right.

God drat it, CA!!!! :negative:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Not being able to fire through a pile of clan rats is basically the Pontus meme of this game. :smith:

Rat ogres look amazing, though. drat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm tellin' y'all, that mechanic is really unfun to fight against when only one faction can do it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it's annoying fluffwise but a good call mechanicswise. skaven absolutely dominated the last edition of warhammer fantasy because while supposedly skavenslaves should be breaking almost instantly on contact with the enemy, it was not hard to buff their leadership to the point it would take them a round or two to do so.

and when you have this giant, cheap, unbreakable tarpit that all your really good ranged units are allowed to shoot through at their leisure?

doesn't matter how broken the other side's crazy magic poo poo is, you just sit there and keep shooting into the mass until you get bored.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I expect the skaven fun units dlc will add that skill in for 15 dollars

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Grumio posted:

Embargo is up, Skaven footage is starting to be released

Campaign gameplay form Eurogamer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-bL1qeSqQ

Skaven vs Lizardmen quest battle from some youtuber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAeioa7-5no

Clan mors gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXtn_cpUQdQ

thoughts:

-Queek's VA is great, he sounds unhinged

-oh god the animation on the Hell Pit Abomination is so gross

-Before you enter battle you can see how many 'charges' of Menace Below you have, and spend food to increase them

Heres my takeaway from looking at the videos.

The clanrats you summon out of the ground have the summon unbinding effect.

The doomwheel just seems to be a 1 unit chariot with attack animations that probably helps it push through a mass.

The flamethrowers were obstructed by friendly units :(

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Deakul posted:

Disappointingly small unit sizes for Skaven and looks like the warp fire throwers need really specific positioning to be of any use at all.

Aside from the 'obstructed' thing, the main reason they couldn't fire was because they were on skirmish mode and being repeatedly ordered to attack from about 20m away, while the skirmish mode made them want to move back.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Especially with the flamethrowers having no arc to them meaning the first couple volleys would mow down your own dudes they really should have kept that ability :/

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

It does seem wrong that I can't shoot my own dudes as Skaven, but then I wonder how they would balance something like that if nobody else has access to it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBgWYOkq6_U

Dark Elf gameplay? Dark Elf gameplay. Tactical side only, but whatever. The Hydra animations are pretty incredible, god drat.

I like how the Darkshards have their shields planted in the ground and brace their crossbows on them to fire. It always annoyed me that dwarven ranged units that are supposedly shielded don't actually wield their shields at all.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I think having the warp fire throwers firing into the backs of your own skaven might just be unfun. I doubt they have the penetration to make such an action worth it and autofire could lead to some frustrating situations. I think the warp lightning cannon using a projectile is also a game balance concession. I'm a bit sad about ratling guns and warplock jezzails but so much other cool poo poo made it in that I'm not too miffed

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm tellin' y'all, that mechanic is really unfun to fight against when only one faction can do it.

I mean archers and crossbows of all races are able to shoot over their front lines in current total War. Granted empire/dwarves can't do that with black powder units, but a combination of both Skaven mostly dealing in black powder projectiles and them being basically the only gun faction of the mainline TW2 races (and a heavily ranged focused race in general) is enough justification for me to give them a pass on that aspect. Slave and Clanrats are meant to be a tarpit who's shittyness (and slaves are lovely, even worse than Zombies in a punchup IIRC) is drowned out by the fact that you don't need special positioning on your gunline and can just light everything up wantonly. Slaves will die but who cares, they cost 17 upkeep apparently. They really won't have much of a Cavalry force outside of a warhound equivalent, so fighting against them will be about getting in for flanks on the gunline before it can do too much damage. A lot of the tactics you would use against dwarves (insofar as they are relatively lowish mobility and want to park out and blast you with a gunline with the rest of the force there to keep you from getting to said gunline) will probably work against skaven.

Skaven generic melee lords are probably going to be really not great outside of Queek, probably along the same lines as a Night Goblin Big Boss (i.e. can probably take on caster lords and most softer heros, but the tougher melee lords are going to shithouse wreck them, they exist to buff the units under them more than anything), For Queek, I expect will probably be a pretty good dueling champion but maybe not as great against massed infantry like Sigvald or pre-mammoth Wulfric.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kaza42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jphoIqTTtOs&t=277s

Zapspark the Experimenter. Seems like a special named Hero for the Skaven, so we're probably seeing more than just the 2LL for the factions

P sure that's just a hero with a randomly generated name

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Can the warpfire throwers not arc over friendly stuff like iron drakes can?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

imho its kinda lame you will never have a cool looking skaven city cause of the ruin mechanic

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
gonna go ahead and say the skaven mechanics are gonna be manageable and not bad enough to cause any real damage because lol they wouldn't ever do that

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jphoIqTTtOs&t=277s

Zapspark the Experimenter. Seems like a special named Hero for the Skaven, so we're probably seeing more than just the 2LL for the factions

Going by the abilities shown, that's a normal Skryre Warlock Engineer.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Agreed. How quickly people forget Shogun 2's Matchlock Ashigaru cheese.

Flavor wise I'm disappointed by it, gamplay/mechanics wise it's probably necessary.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Irondrakes are already notoriously bad for having a terrible firing arc tho. You practically have to circle around your line entirely to get any good shots (on regular infantry, monsters/cav can be hit a bit easier but I want to toast droves of trash mobs). Warpfire Throwers are cool but will probably be way too far into the tech tree like the Irondrakes, be just as finicky and fall into obscurity because of it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

something of note: the town maps have an actual town on it now. no big streets to invade, but farms and buildings here and there

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Given enough range, they can arc over friendlies. He did it in that video. In any event, you're running Skaven so you should be dictating the terms of melee engagements and skaven all seem to have high speed I'm sure they're actually supposed to be used to flank motherfuckers. In the video, a single warpfire volley brought against a unit of spears on their flank brought them down roughly 60% of their total HP.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Davincie posted:

imho its kinda lame you will never have a cool looking skaven city cause of the ruin mechanic

what about skaven vs skaven though

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

still wouldn't show up on the world map though, right?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Here's a nice little touch I noticed. In the eurogamer video the AI switched fire from the clanrats onto the stormvermin when the stormvermin got into range, despite the clanrats entering their range first

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skaven Cities do appear on the world map for Skavens according to the gameplay videos. If you're one you see through the apparent ruins.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

unwantedplatypus posted:

Here's a nice little touch I noticed. In the eurogamer video the AI switched fire from the clanrats onto the stormvermin when the stormvermin got into range, despite the clanrats entering their range first

This happens all the time already. For a quick test, start a game as Empire with Franz and start that first battle with the secessionists. Have your spearmen run into the enemy crossbow range, then have your halberds enter the range later. They'll stop mid-volley to shoot at the juicier, more dangerous targets.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Reddit is pissing blood that some concessions have been made translating the TT/lore into gameplay

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

why aren't skaven slaves 500 men per unit??? i want to watch 450 rats do nothing while the rest plink away!!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

unwantedplatypus posted:

Reddit is pissing blood that some concessions have been made translating the TT/lore into gameplay

I'm still mad that greenskin units always do what you tell them to instead of one in every six just fighting amongst themselves the whole battle

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

why aren't skaven slaves 500 men per unit??? i want to watch 450 rats do nothing while the rest plink away!!

Lmao this.

There were always going to be people disappointed by unit size.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

if the warpfire throwers work like iron drakes then i'm happy, i love the iron drakes and all the crazy dwarf inventions

edit: do any videos show off skrolk? i saw a milk and cookies one but its all cinematic camera of random stuff fighting

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 17, 2017

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Todays the first day of the last TW1 tournament, and the first to fight are Gamerofthegame and ZearothK.

Round 1: Gamer (Von Carsteins) vs Zearoth (Norsca)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msd_LYDUE-Q

Round 2: Gamer (Norsca) vs Zearoth (Chaos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP0wt2PTjPk

Vampires against Norsca is the hardest matchup in the game so it was a brave choice. Most of the Norscan infantry died or ran but when you have two healthy mammoths left at the end of the fight there's nothing you can do. My suggestion would be to bring more terror and try to run the mammoths off and more skeleton spearmen instead of warriors since spearmen will do almost as well against infantry and okay against norscan monsters.

In round 2, the line of marauders gets torn apart by the forsaken and when the warshrine mammoth is nearly brought down the rest of Norsca runs.

Well played to both and good luck in your next rounds.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 17, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

There's always SFO to tweak things around; I know on the last iteration (that worked, before the Norsca update) on Ultra units of Zombies and such were 240 corpses to a unit :stare: I remember I had that and Brutal Battles (decreases unit collision, allowing them to pack into spaces tighter) and fighting some Vampire Count Castle the inside of the courtyard looked like one immense mosh pit of zombies which would wreck my FPS if I tried zooming in remotely close to it.

if the warpfire throwers work like iron drakes then i'm happy, i love the iron drakes and all the crazy dwarf inventions

I'm going to assume Warpfire throwers are the Skaven counterpart to Irondrakes (or perhaps a weaker/cheaper/lower tier counterpart). Irondrakes do have an arc; for ranged/artillery units with shallow arcs the trick is to fire at absolute maximum range. Irondrakes can fire over allies if you do this.

I was going to assume skaven weapons would be mostly 'poison' debuffers but to my surprise they get a new debuff that gives the enemy unit -10 Leadership. This could be extremely useful on easier difficulty settings and vs some monsters like feral dinosaurs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Mans posted:

Got your back my friend.

thank you my friend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

edit: do any videos show off skrolk? i saw a milk and cookies one but its all cinematic camera of random stuff fighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3215zJbEB8M&t=529s

This one goes over Skrolk briefly at the beginning.

• Locked thread