Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Well this is a thing.

https://www.facebook.com/GWWarhammerAgeofSigmar/videos/678616285668501/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Link's dead.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Page is up for the destruction preview.

This sounds awesome as hell. They also have a new counter-charge ability.

There's some stuff for Ogors or whatever too.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Link's dead.

It was a video about the rise of Nurgle in the age of slgmar. Some new release maybe?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

It was a video about the rise of Nurgle in the age of slgmar. Some new release maybe?

Local manager was telling me that AoS took a 58% or 68% dip in sales when 8th dropped. Management freaked out, because they were expecting it to drop but not by that much, so they're pushing AoS. He mentioned a new release, so maybe this is it.

Ah, Here's the new release. Firestorm.

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 17, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Oh, yeah, it's on the front page now. It appears to be another story-driven campaign.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Local manager was telling me that AoS took a 58% or 68% dip in sales when 8th dropped. Management freaked out, because they were expecting it to drop but not by that much, so they're pushing AoS. He mentioned a new release, so maybe this is it.

Ah, Here's the new release. Firestorm.
I'm not sure why they didn't expect that - they don't support AoS well at all. They keep throwing out new supplements saying "A new way to play Warhammer Age of Sigmar is coming!" but never really promote it or seem to have any excitement for the system in general. I understand 40K is their moneymaker, but continuously pushing "a new way to play" seems like a desperate attempt to keep throwing life preservers out in the hopes someone latches on.

Personally, changing "The Mortal Realms" to be analogous to the "World that was" (the Old World) would help, I think. The AoS background is too scattered and incomprehensible to grasp - let people fight in the mortal world OR have battles in the no-holds-barred mythic gods-realm of AoS.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Wow those box sets have some random rear end selections of figures.

I kind of get the Empire plus Sigmarines one but the others are just weird. Why are Sigmarines allying with Dark Elf Corsairs and painting their armour black?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zark the Damned posted:

Why are Sigmarines allying with Dark Elf Corsairs and painting their armour black?
Because they're loving metal. I really want to see more bizarre bundles like this featuring older factions.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zark the Damned posted:

Wow those box sets have some random rear end selections of figures.

I kind of get the Empire plus Sigmarines one but the others are just weird. Why are Sigmarines allying with Dark Elf Corsairs and painting their armour black?

Dark Elves are aligned with Order, mostly do the dirty work the other Order factions won't. Corsairs keep an eye on Order controlled ports and raid other factions' supply fleets.

The black armoured Sigmarines are a specific chapter chamber of Stormcasts, Anvils of Heimdenhall, the token edgelord Sigmarines.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It would actually be pretty cool if they give you bonuses for running mixed armies themed around these new city states. I've barely thought about AoS recently as 40k is actually good now so this new campaign will hopefully be a good reason for me to finish building the models I have.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pendent posted:

It would actually be pretty cool if they give you bonuses for running mixed armies themed around these new city states. I've barely thought about AoS recently as 40k is actually good now so this new campaign will hopefully be a good reason for me to finish building the models I have.

Guaranteed these boxes will have a mixed faction Battalion ruleset in them, like some of the books have (Bonesplitterz/Beastclaw one from Bonesplitterz, Stormcast/Sylvaneth one from Sylvaneth etc).

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I keep seeing allies being mentioned as a new feature of the new general's handbook. As we can already mix units from the same Grand alliance, is this a cross-alliance system?

Also just grabbed the seraphon starter and a skink priest to play against the khorne dudes I posted in the painting thread in a skirmish game. Just need to figure out a colour scheme.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
New allies system allows you to mix factions into a single army without 'Battleline if' units losing Battleline and without losing faction traits/spells/artefacts. You can only mix specific factions together with other specific factions and keep the bonuses however.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

richyp posted:

I keep seeing allies being mentioned as a new feature of the new general's handbook. As we can already mix units from the same Grand alliance, is this a cross-alliance system?

Also just grabbed the seraphon starter and a skink priest to play against the khorne dudes I posted in the painting thread in a skirmish game. Just need to figure out a colour scheme.

They'll let you take the more narrow allegiance abilities without having a 100% pure army. You can have a Sylvaneth army with a small contingent of Stormcast but still get your free wyldwood and other Tree stuff. Currently as soon as you add one Stormcast to a Sylvaneth army you have to default to the Order Allegiance stuff.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

You get 400 points of allies, from what i was told.

I actually really like AoS, and the model line is great. I certainly want to play more AoS than I do 40k, but the player base just isn't there. It's hard to get matches, and I live in an area with a huge player base.

I think mixing the old world and the realms would be a good idea. One of the best parts of 40k is the fluff, and the old WFB fluff was also rad. This new stuff is really confusing (and kinda lame).

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Zuul the Cat posted:

You get 400 points of allies, from what i was told.

I actually really like AoS, and the model line is great. I certainly want to play more AoS than I do 40k, but the player base just isn't there. It's hard to get matches, and I live in an area with a huge player base.

I think mixing the old world and the realms would be a good idea. One of the best parts of 40k is the fluff, and the old WFB fluff was also rad. This new stuff is really confusing (and kinda lame).

Same problem here, I haven't played AoS properly since about February. Once the 40k 8th ball got rolling it was hard to pull myself away from it, same with what was the AoS playerbase around here. My LGS is starting a Path to Glory campaign, but I just can't be bothered to deal with that right now.

GW really needs to properly lay down some structural bits of Lore to give people something to grasp onto, it's hard to get excited about all the apocalyptic goings on when it feels like nothing's at stake. I don't care who controls the realm of whatever, I wanna know who lives in it, what cultures emerged there. There needs to be something to ground readers, and that AoS RPG is a long way away.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah I would seriously love an Old World expansion. I'm building my first AoS round-based force, and I just can't get into this fluff at all. It's almost too familiar, but then wrong.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
They could have the Slann imagine up a new (old) realm that is accessible by a new realm gate that only lets units with square bases through. It could be a new (old) way to play.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
They should just smash all the realms back together alongside the old world Shards of Alara style and just do a remixed old world status quo.

I don't remotely loving understand the current cosmology or how different groups even like physically interact lore wise if they're all in different realms.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nearly all the AoS weirdness could co-exist in the Warp Realms of Chaos alongside the Old World. A lot of the Daemon stuff people made fun of was straight out of the last Daemon Army Book.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

moths posted:

Nearly all the AoS weirdness could co-exist in the Warp Realms of Chaos alongside the Old World. A lot of the Daemon stuff people made fun of was straight out of the last Daemon Army Book.

I'm sorry, but Bloodmaster and Skullmaster are going to be ridiculous whether they're in Fantasy or in AoS. I will never pass up a chance to dunk on Khorne and his terrible naming schemes.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

The Bee posted:

I'm sorry, but Bloodmaster and Skullmaster are going to be ridiculous whether they're in Fantasy or in AoS. I will never pass up a chance to dunk on Khorne and his terrible naming schemes.

Take that back, or my recently painted Khorne Blood Murder Skull Smasher Death Wrath Fucker Warband will be full of angst.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

They could have the Slann imagine up a new (old) realm that is accessible by a new realm gate that only lets units with square bases through. It could be a new (old) way to play.

Perfection.

Maybe this is the way they do that with the new campaign. The lore behind the new box sets is that the magic realms are retaking cities from Chaos and establishing footholds. Maybe they'll expand on what the cities are, who is in them, etc.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I never shat outcross-posted my completed Murder Bro's. I promised myself I wouldn't start my wife's Serafon until I painted up the entire Khorne stuff (Ignore the 3 missing Skull Crushers and 5 spare Blood Warriors, they're hiding in a drawer so they don't exist on my painting table realm). Also that and she actually want's the dinosaurs painting pink :/

richyp posted:

:siren: Diary of madman post :siren:

So as couple of weeks ago I decided I'd paint up a few dudes to practice painting skin. Just 5 models for that game that I riddiculed.

These guys:

They came in the £20 starter box along with some Stormcast dudes (they're a few pages back somewhere) and 3 other Khorne Blood Warriors. The Blood Warriors looked a bit lonely in a group of 3, so I bulked them up with a Champion and a Standard Bearer to make them into a full unit.

The Champion

Standard Bearer

With their snap-fit buddies.

So that's two groups of Battleline (Troops) might as well throw in a Hero:

Walking through the local toyshop with my son looking at Lego, and I spot a small stand with some discounted GW stuff, "Oh hey 10 Blood Letters for £10, they'll bulk out the guys I'll never play with nicely"

So it's mid August and I've done a 500ish point Khorne Warband, 5 Stormcast Eternals, The entire Death Guard part of Dark Imperium, 2 Black Templar Bigmans, 2 Random Chapters for the Goon Chapter Challenge.

I think I've discovered why fidget spinners have become popular. They're for people like me who can't sit still. Now Serpahon/Lizardmen for my wife to never use or a fidget spinner hmm.

They started out as a few models to try Skirmish :cry:

Zuul the Cat posted:

Perfection.

Maybe this is the way they do that with the new campaign. The lore behind the new box sets is that the magic realms are retaking cities from Chaos and establishing footholds. Maybe they'll expand on what the cities are, who is in them, etc.

Possibly, either that or they'll just release painting guides and some upgrade sprues to unify units into city-oriented themes.

Question about bases sizes that I could probably google. The Skink Star Priest guy comes with a tiny 25mm round base, in addition to his moulded square one, would it make nerds cry/break some version of the rules putting him on a 32-40mm base as he is a Hero model?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

richyp posted:

Take that back, or my recently painted Khorne Blood Murder Skull Smasher Death Wrath Fucker Warband will be full of angst.

Does my blood being bloodsecrated happen before or after the angst?

They are real awesome looking dudes though, so nice job!

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
We have a pretty huge AOS group here, but there is also an equally sized 9th age presence.

Both are tiny compared to the resurged 40k though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

richyp posted:

Question about bases sizes that I could probably google. The Skink Star Priest guy comes with a tiny 25mm round base, in addition to his moulded square one, would it make nerds cry/break some version of the rules putting him on a 32-40mm base as he is a Hero model?
Base sizes! As for crying, I could see some people getting bent out of shape, as you do measure from the base (unless you're following the "measure from the model" rules, which, as far as I know, nobody does.) You'd be getting an extra 7-15mm reach on spells or whatever. Not having got a game in yet though, I don't know how much this would actually make a difference.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

berzerkmonkey posted:

Base sizes! As for crying, I could see some people getting bent out of shape, as you do measure from the base (unless you're following the "measure from the model" rules, which, as far as I know, nobody does.) You'd be getting an extra 7-15mm reach on spells or whatever. Not having got a game in yet though, I don't know how much this would actually make a difference.

Going to stick him on a 32mm round base the 25mm it came with is smaller than the infantry units and he's the Hero/General, its not like any stores nearby to use him in anyway.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I can't speak for everyone in AoS/40k, but at this point it seems like if the new base size feels good, do it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I stick my human sized Heroes on 32"ers, it just lets the model breathe so much better, and helps those in less balanced poses stay standing.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Definitely. Lots of chopped up sprue and texture paint slapped on a 32mm base already drying off waiting for the magic newt to be attached.

Also I found out I liked Astrogranite a few weeks ago (hence so many models above based in it), today I grabbed the Astrogranite Debris version and that stuff is great for blending chopped up plastic sprue, small staircase and a couple of skulls into its thinner Astrogranite sibling.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I hate that the texture paints are so good; they're expensive but I won't glue sand onto anything but terrain ever again.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I hate that the texture paints are so good; they're expensive but I won't glue sand onto anything but terrain ever again.

:agreed:

gently caress flock, gently caress static grass, gently caress sand. Texture paints and moulded bases for life.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

SteelMentor posted:

:agreed:

gently caress flock, gently caress static grass, gently caress sand. Texture paints and moulded bases for life.

:same: I'm holding out for self matt-varnishing paints. I don't varnish now and know I should.

-----

Some more AoS virgin questions. I think I get the keywords stuff having just caught up with 40k's version of it, in that there are abilities such as Character X can use Awesome on units with keyword(s). So Khorne Mortals would be models with Khorne and Mortal keywords meaning Khorne Daemons are not covered, but you can take them as units they just won't benefit from the general's ability.

Are there special rules for "pure" Khorne Mortals or "pure" Khorne Daemons that are printed somewhere. I grabbed a copy of the OG Generals Handbook which has the Grand Alliance top level ones but are there (sub)faction ones too that replace them?

In a roundabout way I'm trying to work out how to summon daemons without a wizard because Khorne hates them right, and if I take an unmarked Sorcerer I'd use Grand Alliance: Chaos. Is there a bonus ability in the Blades of Khorne book for keeping it in the Khorne family I'm missing somewhere?

What I've got:

1 x Slaughterpriest: Mortal
5 x Blood warriors: Mortal (have 8 more on sprues)
5 x Bloodreavers:Mortal (not a full unit, but I'll pad up to 10 with ebay bits)
10 x Bloodletters:Daemon
3 x Skullcrushers: Mortal (not built)

Do I get a Daemon Hero too at some point and boost the daemon side, or is there some Khorne wide skill that benefits all Khorne units?

I'm guessing the answer is that I need to buy Blades of Khorne and not to try and build a list from the warscrolls on GW's site?

TLDR: Bloodthirster yay or nay?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

richyp posted:

:same: I'm holding out for self matt-varnishing paints. I don't varnish now and know I should.

-----

Some more AoS virgin questions. I think I get the keywords stuff having just caught up with 40k's version of it, in that there are abilities such as Character X can use Awesome on units with keyword(s). So Khorne Mortals would be models with Khorne and Mortal keywords meaning Khorne Daemons are not covered, but you can take them as units they just won't benefit from the general's ability.

Are there special rules for "pure" Khorne Mortals or "pure" Khorne Daemons that are printed somewhere. I grabbed a copy of the OG Generals Handbook which has the Grand Alliance top level ones but are there (sub)faction ones too that replace them?

In a roundabout way I'm trying to work out how to summon daemons without a wizard because Khorne hates them right, and if I take an unmarked Sorcerer I'd use Grand Alliance: Chaos. Is there a bonus ability in the Blades of Khorne book for keeping it in the Khorne family I'm missing somewhere?

What I've got:

1 x Slaughterpriest: Mortal
5 x Blood warriors: Mortal (have 8 more on sprues)
5 x Bloodreavers:Mortal (not a full unit, but I'll pad up to 10 with ebay bits)
10 x Bloodletters:Daemon
3 x Skullcrushers: Mortal (not built)

Do I get a Daemon Hero too at some point and boost the daemon side, or is there some Khorne wide skill that benefits all Khorne units?

I'm guessing the answer is that I need to buy Blades of Khorne and not to try and build a list from the warscrolls on GW's site?

TLDR: Bloodthirster yay or nay?

Blades of Khorne is what you want.

All khorne is part of the same force now, so you can mix all the daemons and mortals you want. Their abilities just don't affect each other for the most part

I would advise people to not buy stuff this week, wait until next week when the GHB2 hits.

It will be changing a lot of stuff, including some warscrolls so I'd wait and see changes then

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Have the formulas for the texture paints gotten better?

I tried Agrellen Earth when it first came out and I had a hell of a time getting it to stick. It kept flaking off. Painting and drybrushing it were impossible. I tried on bare plastic, on primer, and on a base coat of normal acrylic.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Black_Nexus posted:

Blades of Khorne is what you want.

All khorne is part of the same force now, so you can mix all the daemons and mortals you want. Their abilities just don't affect each other for the most part

I would advise people to not buy stuff this week, wait until next week when the GHB2 hits.

It will be changing a lot of stuff, including some warscrolls so I'd wait and see changes then

Thanks for the advice, I stupidly bought the GH about 2 weeks ago before reading up about the new one, luckily it was heavily discounted.

Floppychop posted:

I tried Agrellen Earth when it first came out and I had a hell of a time getting it to stick. It kept flaking off. Painting and drybrushing it were impossible. I tried on bare plastic, on primer, and on a base coat of normal acrylic.

I've been using the newer larger bottle of Agrellan and it sticks pretty decent, but some parts will come off if I drybrush aggressively but maybe one little crack every 5 models or so. I did kind of stab large amounts onto the bases with a battered old brush though so it was nice and thick but not too thick at the same time (about 2mm deep at the highest points) and kind of prodded more into it afterwards.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

Armageddon Dunes is incredible. Picked it up a week or so ago for basing my Blood Angels and I'm never using anything else for sand again.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Pendent posted:

Armageddon Dunes is incredible. Picked it up a week or so ago for basing my Blood Angels and I'm never using anything else for sand again.

Vallejo Earth textures are better than Citadel technical paints in my opinion. I've been using the black lava and the desert sand and they're awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Jesus,how hard are you guys drybrushing? I based my entire AdMech army with Martian Ironearth. Only one small piece flaked because I forgot to paint the base first.

Some people use a razor to crosshatch the base prior to putting on the texture paint. Try that if you're having an issue.

• Locked thread