Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mirio isn't a villain because Sir would've foreseen it I'd think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kild posted:

Mirio isn't a villain because Sir would've foreseen it I'd think

Maybe he got so shook about seeing All Might's impending death that he didn't use it on who he wanted to be his successor.

I don't want Mirio to be the traitor though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mirio's gonna die. I repeat my prediction from several chapters ago:

JosephWongKS posted:

Enough death flags over the past few chapters to kill Mirio ten times over. He's a goner.

This is pretty much set-up for Mirio to sacrifice himself to protect Eri and for Deku to come in just in time to finish the rescue of Eri but too late to also save Mirio.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 17, 2017

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I love how the VA plan was to send in 2 unstable crazies and let them gently caress things up from the inside.
Also a neat way to give more explanation to their quirks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Terper posted:

So how long was Toga transformed into Camie

'cause that's a lot of blood. RIP, we hardly knew ye.
3 days minimum, 4 possibly. Regardless of she took it all at once or once a day, Camie/Kemi is basically a hair away from needing a saline infusion to not die.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Maybe her quirk is infinite blood and we're worrying over nothing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Glad we'll finally see Mirio again. FWIW I was rereading my volumes recently and All Might specifically says he chose Deku because he believes Deku to have something no one else does.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Those are the longest fries I've ever seen in my life, what the heck are they made of?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Toga 'n' Twice are good

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Those are the longest fries I've ever seen in my life, what the heck are they made of?
Potatooooes

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Beach Toga is cute as heck. Chalk up something VA-centric on the list of BNHA Spinoffs that I want.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fabricated posted:

3 days minimum, 4 possibly. Regardless of she took it all at once or once a day, Camie/Kemi is basically a hair away from needing a saline infusion to not die.

That's assuming she's transformed for the entire time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kild posted:

That's assuming she's transformed for the entire time.

Given the way she described the blood as "energy", it seems like it powers the transformation. So if she drops it early, oops, already burned most of the blood making the disguise. After all, that's a fair bit of mass she's creating and losing.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder how much time she would have with that drop of blood she got from Deku.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
As many people have already said, :rip: Mirio. There were too many death flags for it to go any other way.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think Horikoshi will kill a child especially when we know that Overhaul has completed the permanent quirk erasure right?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mikl posted:

As many people have already said, :rip: Mirio. There were too many death flags for it to go any other way.

People have been saying this since the comic started and literally one character has died (out of nowhere). I'll believe someone bites it when I see it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm going to die next chapter

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think Horikoshi will kill a child especially when we know that Overhaul has completed the permanent quirk erasure right?

He's heavily inferred that the winged nomu Stain killed was one of Bakugao's childhood gang. I don't think kids in this show have plot armor although he's been pretty conservative with deaths.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Horikoshi should phone Kentaro Miura and learn the correct way to kill kids in manga for next weeks issue.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
By the way: I love the layers of complexities there are in this manga.

Layer 1: the Villain Alliance betrayed the Yakuza, even though they said they wouldn't.
Layer 2: the Yakuza dude with the "forces you to tell the truth" power failed to detect the betrayal, because Twice and Toga answered "No" to "Is Shigaraki planning to betray us?"
Layer 3: the Yakuza dude asked the wrong question: Shigaraki wasn't planning to betray them, Twice and Toga totally were.
Layer 4: now, why did that dude ask the wrong question? Because of the whole Yakuza mentality: he cannot even dream of someone doing something without getting approval from their boss.

Love it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm not sure that Toga and Twice were actively planning on betraying the yakuza from the start.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Terper posted:

I'm not sure that Toga and Twice were actively planning on betraying the yakuza from the start.

They were not, the betrayal came from a moment of anger. That said, they were never loyal either, and they definitely harbored enough anger to strike back from the get-go. If they were asked if they'd betray them, having to say the truth, the answer wouldn't be "no" but "maybe".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Radish posted:

He's heavily inferred that the winged nomu Stain killed was one of Bakugao's childhood gang. I don't think kids in this show have plot armor although he's been pretty conservative with deaths.

I was thinking of that when I posted but it still feels fairly different to me. Have many SJ titles killed children? Genuinely curious because I can't think of any off hand. By children I mean 12-13 rather than 16-17 which is a bit more common.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Mikl posted:

Layer 4: now, why did that dude ask the wrong question? Because of the whole Yakuza mentality: he cannot even dream of someone doing something without getting approval from their boss.

This makes absolutely no sense - it's not yakuza mentality, it's any group ever mentality. If two organizations ally, it's generally expected that the members of one aren't going to just randomly betray the other unless the leader is actually planning to, because it actively screws over the plans of their own group too. Like, sticking with the supervillain theme, if the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants allied with Dr. Doom for whatever reason, and then two of them randomly decide in the middle of an operation to gently caress him over, Magneto is not going to be particularly pleased with them when they return (well, that's a lie because it's Dr. Doom they're screwing over, which means they probably won't make it back). And that can have absolutely lethal consequences in any number of villain groups.

That Shigaraki is almost certainly not going to care is an entirely different matter in this particular instance.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

EmmyOk posted:

I was thinking of that when I posted but it still feels fairly different to me. Have many SJ titles killed children? Genuinely curious because I can't think of any off hand. By children I mean 12-13 rather than 16-17 which is a bit more common.

dragon ball killed a shitload of kids

and if you want a direct comparison to series running right now promised neverland's plot kicks off with an on-screen toddler murder that we get regular flashbacks too

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Regular flashbacks to. All the goddam time.

Yes, we remember the toddler being mulched. You don't have to show it every other chapter.

I do not regret dropping that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

HXH just had a kid smothered to death

HXH spoilers

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol I read both of those :downs: Though I still think it's wrong for the tone of MHA and it'll feel pretty jarring if it happens.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EmmyOk posted:

Hunter x Hunter has too. Though I guess some of them came back? Was still gruesome (if offscreen) deaths for kids who were, like, single digits in age. Plus, yeah, the more recent spoilered thing.

Also, earlier subject, Alluka's definitely trans. Killua making a big deal about her being his sister and correcting other people on it while everyone else uses masculine (or entirely dehumanizing) terms, among other things, makes it pretty clear.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
old enough to fight old enough to die that's the shonen way

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Lord Koth posted:

This makes absolutely no sense - it's not yakuza mentality, it's any group ever mentality. If two organizations ally, it's generally expected that the members of one aren't going to just randomly betray the other unless the leader is actually planning to, because it actively screws over the plans of their own group too. Like, sticking with the supervillain theme, if the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants allied with Dr. Doom for whatever reason, and then two of them randomly decide in the middle of an operation to gently caress him over, Magneto is not going to be particularly pleased with them when they return (well, that's a lie because it's Dr. Doom they're screwing over, which means they probably won't make it back). And that can have absolutely lethal consequences in any number of villain groups.

That Shigaraki is almost certainly not going to care is an entirely different matter in this particular instance.

It works because Twice and a few others are the only members of the VA to have the same level of loyalty to Shigaraki as any Eight Precept has to Overhaul (really, to his grandfather(?)). Toga and most of the other members are just willing to go along with Shigaraki's plans, until they don't feel like it anymore.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Lord Koth posted:

This makes absolutely no sense - it's not yakuza mentality, it's any group ever mentality.

I dunno, I feel like 'Overhaul treats his henchmen like pawns', treating them as disposable time-buying distractions and anonymizing them with masks, and Shigaraki learning NOT do do that and treat his teammates as valuable allies and individuals, is one of the themes of this arc.

Toga and Twice work well together for duplicity, their powers complement each other and they get along reasonably well.

Rappa and Barrierdude's QUIRKS work well together but they personally don't like each other and they didn't use their combo to the best extent possible because of it.

I feel like that's the difference they're trying to hilight.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
petitioning to call the toga and twice team "once bitten twice shy"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:perfect:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

:vince:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
This comic inspires the very best nicknames

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What if Mirio just murders the poo poo out of Overhaul?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mirio is going to defeat Overhaul and save the day, count on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i hope overhaul puts magnes back together. that'd probably get toga and twice back on his side

i also hope mirio dies and someone does the death of superman pose with him and then he comes back to life the next issue