Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ShaneB posted:

Note I've heard mixed reviews but they are respected overall.

I was just happy to find a copy at a decent price. The only downside is that I ordered some other things for the free shipping and have to wait until the end of September for the whole batch. My family's going on an extended vacation in two weeks and I was hoping to have the card games I ordered for it. Alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I don't think I'd be as interested in an insert if I wasn't splitting the cost of the game and insert with my group of 4. We split Pandemic Legacy because obviously it turns to firewood when you're done. Do you think GH has enough legacy features to warrant a split purchase like this? I sure hope so...

Also, I just ordered the Broken Token insert since it's $10 off right now and it sounds like those monster tuck boxes do save a lot of time, less so if you're using the companion app though? (I don't have the game yet)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ShaneB posted:

I ran through Arkham session 1 running both characters solo, and kind of realized that if you aren't under duress from the game deck, you can start digging through your deck for important cards (like a weapon or something), or stocking up resources to use on the +1/resource asset cards. That's likely part of the balance of the game, figuring out how fast you need to actually advance vs. stock up on cards/resources/build up your board.

While this is true, and knowing the tempo of the scenario is important so you don't run face first into a big bad by advancing the plot, the first scenario gives you a lot of time to prepare. Usually you're under much more pressure.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Someone linked me this today. Tangentially related to board games, as you may see. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT29OGk_Byc

http://iron-harvest.com/

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Azran posted:

Someone linked me this today. Tangentially related to board games, as you may see. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT29OGk_Byc

http://iron-harvest.com/

A glimmer of hope appears for an almost dead genre...

I know it's just pre-alpha footage, and probably won't be reflective of anything the real game is like, but drat if it doesn't give me awesome CoH mixed with Scythe vibes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megasabin posted:

A glimmer of hope appears for an almost dead genre...

I know it's just pre-alpha footage, and probably won't be reflective of anything the real game is like, but drat if it doesn't give me awesome CoH mixed with Scythe vibes.

Well it would give you Scythe vibes, it's the same artist.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Oh, I thought it was actually a Scythe spinoff. They even use the same mech designs.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Jedit posted:

Well it would give you Scythe vibes, it's the same artist.

Oh I know. It's the 1920+ guy. He's done a great job of marketing his art. He basically sells it as an RPG world setting others can rent, although as far as I can tell there's not a ton of backstory beyond just his initial set of pictures.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Megasabin posted:

Oh I know. It's the 1920+ guy. He's done a great job of marketing his art. He basically sells it as an RPG world setting others can rent, although as far as I can tell there's not a ton of backstory beyond just his initial set of pictures.

I love this guy's art, but if that trailer is any indication of the writing we can expect in the game, let's hope they remove backstory altogether.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Megasabin posted:

Absolutely none, in fact. He literally thought one day "Hey, wouldn't it be fun to draw scenes of pastoral life in interbellum Poland and put giant mecha in them?" and it went from there.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
So, I decided to pick up The Grizzled and San Juan 2nd ed. because I exclusively buy old games apparently.

The Grizzled is cool. Way more simple than I recalled, but that is fine. I like the theming on the 2 player rules where it's a phantom player who just offers support called the Chaplin. With two, it's hard to not get lots of Hard Knocks, and if they all show up near the end there is just nothing you can do. Of course, with two, it's easier to dump your hand, so you are losing morale much less slowly. Looking forward to playing it with more.

I've played a San Juan implementation on my phone a bunch, so I knew I liked it already. It's another where the 2 player rules are different, but it's actually quite nice; the governor gets a second role, but since it swaps back and forth each round, it's more like heads-up poker almost. I hope some of my other guys like this one as well. For the first game, I left out the included expansion, but the talk on BGG is that isn't necessary. Does anyone who played with it have an opinion on using it or not?

I might still grab something else small, but I haven't decided. I was thinking maybe New York Slice, but since The Grizzled is 272 and San Juan 2nd ed is 274, maybe I should buy 273, which is Paperback.

Also :woop: just found out our friends who went to GenCon got a copy of Codenames Duet :woop:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

So, I decided to pick up The Grizzled and San Juan 2nd ed. because I exclusively buy old games apparently.

The Grizzled is cool. Way more simple than I recalled, but that is fine. I like the theming on the 2 player rules where it's a phantom player who just offers support called the Chaplin. With two, it's hard to not get lots of Hard Knocks, and if they all show up near the end there is just nothing you can do. Of course, with two, it's easier to dump your hand, so you are losing morale much less slowly. Looking forward to playing it with more.

The Lost Expedition is basically The Grizzled, but built for solo/2 player play. If you like Grizzled and plan to play with 2 often, I'd highly recommend it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Just lost a Win-a-Box Legendary event because the Upper Deck rep was too lazy to explain the rules until the middle of the game and the missed rules had already screwed me.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The expansion for The Grizzled is super good. It's one of my group's go-to games now. It also includes solo rules.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm finally getting the Gallerist. How needed are the expansion packs?

Jedit posted:

Absolutely none, in fact. He literally thought one day "Hey, wouldn't it be fun to draw scenes of pastoral life in interbellum Poland and put giant mecha in them?" and it went from there.
I wish he was around to sell the idea to Rosenberg or Feld a while back. We could've had farming mechs in Agricola or Caverna. :negative: Trajan but with intergalactic politics and mechs?!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

deadwing posted:

The Lost Expedition is basically The Grizzled, but built for solo/2 player play. If you like Grizzled and plan to play with 2 often, I'd highly recommend it.

I remember seeing that on Watch It Played. It sure does look nice, both gameplay-wise and component-wise.

Still, now that I have The Grizzled I probably won't add it to my collection any time soon since I'm trying to get a wide breadth of games and audiences. (This is why I didn't really consider getting Istanbul yesterday because I already have Concordia, and though they are quite different games, they will enter into the same space of 'badger my friends into playing them' so I'll stick with what I have.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Totally unnecessary. All they are is a couple of extra pieces of art for each type with slightly different purchase effects.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

Not needed at all.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
I hate to admit this, but Gamer Monopoly is one of the best new games I have played this year. It is Magical Athlete meets stripped down Monopoly in the Mario Brothers universe, and it is for sale at big box stores for $20ish. My gaming group played two games of it last night, instead of Titan, and both were epic tug of wars that ended very close.

Yes it is mass market, yes extra characters are sold in blister packs (atleast not blind buy), yes there is a special edition with an exclusive character (King Koopa), it is everything wrong with games in bigbox stores. But the game play is so solid that I am actually excited to get home to play another round tonight.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Can experienced Arkham Card Game people give me a clue here? Is the basic way the game is expected to be played (for 2p) like:

1) Run 2 of the investigators through the 3-step campaign
2) Upgrade the deck along the way
3) Finish the campaign
4) Replay the campaign with different characters if you want for replayability and whatnot

5) Buy the Dunwich expansion
6) Run 2 new investigators through the 2 scenarios and the 6 follow-up modules
7) Upgrade deck along the way
8) Finish Dunwich expansion
9) Replay Dunwich campaign as desired with new investigators

10) Buy Yelllow King expansion or whatever, repeat

Or is it more like you will stick with investigators through the ENTIRE SERIES of campaigns and become a really loving powerful investigator? I'm curious how most people play their investigators over time, and if the game is designed to support a particular progress more than others.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks. I got the easel anyway because it's a cute tiny easel. Maybe this will sate my lust for Pret-a-Porter. I remember seeing that on sale years ago and I wanted it but never got it. :negative:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks. I got the easel anyway because it's a cute tiny easel. Maybe this will sate my lust for Pret-a-Porter. I remember seeing that on sale years ago and I wanted it but never got it. :negative:

Patience my friend. The new version of it will be here in no time. Hopefully.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

ShaneB posted:

Can experienced Arkham Card Game people give me a clue here? Is the basic way the game is expected to be played (for 2p) like:

3) Finish the campaign
4) Replay the campaign with different characters if you want for replayability and whatnot

Or is it more like you will stick with investigators through the ENTIRE SERIES of campaigns and become a really loving powerful investigator? I'm curious how most people play their investigators over time, and if the game is designed to support a particular progress more than others.

You're generally meant to start each campaign (core set, dunwich, carcosa) with fresh characters, but the game provides you with the option to string the campaigns together for a single super saiyan run - it's generally balanced by the investigators getting extra battered at the resolution of the final scenario, so they remain powerful, but fragile. I also don't remember if you're meant to reset the token bag between campaigns in such case - if not, it would get increasingly polluted through each subsequent campaign.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Just lost a Win-a-Box Legendary event because the Upper Deck rep was too lazy to explain the rules until the middle of the game and the missed rules had already screwed me.

And the second event, the game was set up completely wrong so we had to reset after the first round of turns, it was still screwed up in at least 3 ways, we got pounded into the dirt with no option to actually play, and instead of point scoring like was listed in the program, we just randomly out the box winner.

Jesus Christ, Upper Deck, how are you this stupendously incompetent?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

ShaneB posted:

3) Finish the campaign

The rulebook recommends New Campaign = New Investigators (as in fresh deck with all level 0 cards and zero trauma), but the rulebook also says that if you feel like it, you can try to use investigators that have survived a previous campaign. While they will have some super strong cards, surviving to the end of the new campaign can be quite tricky if they already have a bunch of trauma.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Glazius posted:

I put together a rules annotation upthread.

One thing I don't mention but probably should is that at any time, except during a Viking action, you can pay any boat's point cost in silvers to get one, assuming you have dock space. The stacks often cover the price on the little board they give you to hold the ships.

As for a teaching aid for AFFO? My teach usually goes as follows after the intro.

- walk the round tracker
- promise to get back to step 5, say it will leave you a bunch of tiles and pull out a handful of colors (including grey) to help with the next step.
- explain covering the main board for step 7, including the item rules:
- green can't touch green
- income gets covered last
- greys can flip freely
- explain placing food items for step 9, including the feast rules:
- like colors can't touch
- repeats get rotated
- you can also voluntarily rotate things to make the exact amount
- emigration means fewer mouths to feed
- explain how to get bonuses for step 10
- explain how you pull items from mountain strips and what the resources are generally for in step 11
- then run down the actions in detail

That's about it? Your quickie things to remember are:
- buying ships at any time
- somehow get positive points, too
- occupations are combo friendly; on a 4 space you can choose to play before or after the action, on the multiple spaces the red "each time" cards apply as soon as they hit the table
- you can always choose to fail when rolling a die, unless you hunt and get a 0
- exactly which spaces are "overseas trading"

Everything else is pretty much just printed at point of use. AFFO is not a crazy complex game with a bunch of corner cases.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
So I've been doing this:

kinkouin posted:

It's been a few pages, just reminding goons if they want to get in on Iron Clay chips:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687728&pagenumber=1523&perpage=40#post475021048

Probably only going to post about this once or twice more before I commit in the pledge manager; no point in holding out for stragglers that aren't showing up.

Again, the more people we get, the more it's shared across for a cheaper price.

Would anyone else be interested in piggybacking on some KS pledges I'm on when pledge managers open?

Right now status looks like:

Maximum Apocalypse - Pledge Manager Open (No Lock-In Date Given/Found)
Fantasy Defense - Pledge Manager Open (No Lock-In Date Given/Found)
Brass: Lancashire & Birmingham - Pledge Manager Open Until 9/1
Lords of Hellas - Pledge Manager Coming Soon
Star Realms Frontiers - KS Just Ended
Epoch: The Awakening - KS Just Ended

I'm not in for many, but I'd be willing to do some late pledge stuff for people who've been on the fence for some but still want to get in late.

I know there's a guy (Game Steward) that does it, but I've been mostly giving Goons the bro discount (of no cut to me) for those interested. Obviously the downside is you wait for it to arrive to me, before paying shipping to get it to you, for whatever you want.

Feels like interest is dying down, so I'm probably going to start asking for payment so that I can lock in before 9/1 just so that I can get everything squared away. If there's any last minute orders before 9/1, I'll still add it, but I want to guarantee the ones that already talked to me about it beforehand.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

fastbilly1 posted:

I hate to admit this, but Gamer Monopoly is one of the best new games I have played this year. It is Magical Athlete meets stripped down Monopoly in the Mario Brothers universe, and it is for sale at big box stores for $20ish. My gaming group played two games of it last night, instead of Titan, and both were epic tug of wars that ended very close.

Yes it is mass market, yes extra characters are sold in blister packs (atleast not blind buy), yes there is a special edition with an exclusive character (King Koopa), it is everything wrong with games in bigbox stores. But the game play is so solid that I am actually excited to get home to play another round tonight.

So this made me curious and I looked it up. It certainly looks better than normal monopoly. But it still seems like it is just dice rolling, the game, right? And you lose any strategy related to picking which properties to buy and gain nothing really that I can see?

What am I missing?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Glazius posted:

As for a teaching aid for AFFO? My teach usually goes as follows after the intro.

- walk the round tracker
- promise to get back to step 5, say it will leave you a bunch of tiles and pull out a handful of colors (including grey) to help with the next step.
- explain covering the main board for step 7, including the item rules:
- green can't touch green
- income gets covered last
- greys can flip freely
- explain placing food items for step 9, including the feast rules:
- like colors can't touch
- repeats get rotated
- you can also voluntarily rotate things to make the exact amount
- emigration means fewer mouths to feed
- explain how to get bonuses for step 10
- explain how you pull items from mountain strips and what the resources are generally for in step 11
- then run down the actions in detail

That's about it? Your quickie things to remember are:
- buying ships at any time
- somehow get positive points, too
- occupations are combo friendly; on a 4 space you can choose to play before or after the action, on the multiple spaces the red "each time" cards apply as soon as they hit the table
- you can always choose to fail when rolling a die, unless you hunt and get a 0
- exactly which spaces are "overseas trading"

Everything else is pretty much just printed at point of use. AFFO is not a crazy complex game with a bunch of corner cases.

I forget if this came up on the bgg forums but...can you choose to fail if you're going out with two whaling boats and roll a 1-2, say? I thought those were a defined reduction, not a "if you choose to" reduction.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lichtenstein posted:

You're generally meant to start each campaign (core set, dunwich, carcosa) with fresh characters, but the game provides you with the option to string the campaigns together for a single super saiyan run - it's generally balanced by the investigators getting extra battered at the resolution of the final scenario, so they remain powerful, but fragile. I also don't remember if you're meant to reset the token bag between campaigns in such case - if not, it would get increasingly polluted through each subsequent campaign.

So in what way am I really seeing a lot of customization options? Like, in the future, I could concievably build a deck for the original campaign using level 1 cards in future campaigns/modules, and run it back through the campaign or something? However, I would know what's behind door #1 and could kind of be like "yeah I really need to get to a weapon for Roland because that demon is in that room we are about to enter."

Maybe the OG campaign is just too short to really matter, and Dunwich is kind of the real deal? I'm just wondering how literally 2 experience gaining points in the core set will really allow for much tweaking.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

King Burgundy posted:

So this made me curious and I looked it up. It certainly looks better than normal monopoly. But it still seems like it is just dice rolling, the game, right? And you lose any strategy related to picking which properties to buy and gain nothing really that I can see?

What am I missing?
Here is a somewhat stream of conscious reply:

It is a roll and move, but now you use a standard D6 and a specialty die. The Special die can give you money, make others drop money on the field, steal money, etc. Each player picks a character and each character has a Super Star Power and a special ability. Yoshi for example can shoot a green shell forward or backwards. Green shell is a mark on the special die and causes the player closest to you to drop 3 money on the map. The rules allow for you to chose which die to use first so there is some strategy. For example you can hit someone with a green shell, then pass them and collect their money.

Instead of chance/community chest you have a Super Star Space. These go from "Roll a d6 and get that much money plus five" to "collect rent for all of your properties from the bank." And there is an official variant where you have multiple characters you swap out on the fly for minmaxing.

But the end game is not property or money, it is points. Each property is worth a certain amount of points, and so is each boss fight. When you pass go you get 2 money and flip over the next boss. You pay to fight the boss (either to the bank or to the boss card) then roll to beat them. If you beat the boss you get an instant ability like "take the lowest priced open property" or "send two opponents to jail" or "force a trade with an opponent (aka give me boardwalk and you get baltic)." Each boss is worth a certain amount of points and the game is over when King Koopa is slain.

At the end of the day, it is still technically Monopoly, but it is different enough that it sank its hooks into us and didnt let go. I never really have the desire to play Monopoly (well atleast since I turned eight) but this is different. It really feels like Magical Athlete with property and bossfights.
I hope they take the core mechanics and make a Mario Kart game, that would be perfection.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

silvergoose posted:

I forget if this came up on the bgg forums but...can you choose to fail if you're going out with two whaling boats and roll a 1-2, say? I thought those were a defined reduction, not a "if you choose to" reduction.

You cannot choose to fail. The reduction from ore is automatic.

If you are pursuing the rare and highly dangerous 3X TACTICAL FAIL WHALE COMBO, you can choose to use only one of your boats, but you must choose how many before you start rolling.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Monopoly gamer is Mario party without the dexterity challenges of the video games. Whether that design is good or is a questionable transition of media is up to you.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

ShaneB posted:

So in what way am I really seeing a lot of customization options? Like, in the future, I could concievably build a deck for the original campaign using level 1 cards in future campaigns/modules, and run it back through the campaign or something? However, I would know what's behind door #1 and could kind of be like "yeah I really need to get to a weapon for Roland because that demon is in that room we are about to enter."

Maybe the OG campaign is just too short to really matter, and Dunwich is kind of the real deal? I'm just wondering how literally 2 experience gaining points in the core set will really allow for much tweaking.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but it generally goes like this:

- You first build your deck from level 0 cards, to your liking and complying with that particular investigator's deckbuilding limitations. Sticking to player cards printed during a particular cycle is just a self-imposed tryhard sport some people enjoy as a deckbuilding challenge.
- As you get xp, you can buy level 1+ cards (where levels indicate xp cost, rather than any particular progression requirements) which include both souped-up versions of level 0 cards and brand new ones.
- You can also spend xp to switch other level 0s in, after the initial deck creation, either to try adapting to a given scenario, or to your deck changing due to all the shiny new cards you've bought. The xp cost is a natural limit to how silver bullet-y you can get, but it's a legit approach to managing deck growth.
- Finally, some cards - both positive and negative - can be added to the deck due to various choices, outcomes and circumstances of particular scenarios, regardless of xp.

And yeah, the core set campaign is more of a tutorial/introduction/simple gauntlet. Aside from Dunwich being waaay better in the CYOA department, it's mere 3 scenarios compared to a typical campaign of 8.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but it generally goes like this:

- You first build your deck from level 0 cards, to your liking and complying with that particular investigator's deckbuilding limitations. Sticking to player cards printed during a particular cycle is just a self-imposed tryhard sport some people enjoy as a deckbuilding challenge.
- As you get xp, you can buy level 1+ cards (where levels indicate xp cost, rather than any particular progression requirements) which include both souped-up versions of level 0 cards and brand new ones.
- You can also spend xp to switch other level 0s in, after the initial deck creation, either to try adapting to a given scenario, or to your deck changing due to all the shiny new cards you've bought. The xp cost is a natural limit to how silver bullet-y you can get, but it's a legit approach to managing deck growth.
- Finally, some cards - both positive and negative - can be added to the deck due to various choices, outcomes and circumstances of particular scenarios, regardless of xp.

And yeah, the core set campaign is more of a tutorial/introduction/simple gauntlet. Aside from Dunwich being waaay better in the CYOA department, it's mere 3 scenarios compared to a typical campaign of 8.

So are the people who like to assess cards and refine decks and whatnot just replaying the same content over and over? I find the balance between the desire for deck refinement and the campaign style of the gameplay to be at interesting odds with each other.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

For all of you Gencon goons ( or anyone if you've played them for one reason or another), I would love to hear your impressions on the following if you see them:

Caverna: Cave versus Cave
DBZ Minis Game
Cowboy Bebop game
Photosynthesis
Palace of Mad King Ludwig
Divinity Derby
Viral
Petrichor
Magic Maze
Sellswords Olympus
Codenames Duet
Unicornus Knights

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shadow225 posted:

I grabbed this from the FLGS on Day 1 and my wife and I have put in probably 15-20 plays. My first impressions from earlier still mostly stand. If anything I undersell how tight it is. Early game "Excavate" action fights can be as bad as early game fights over resources in Agricola. We still don't have it nearly mastered, though. There's a bonus tile for filling up your cave and neither of us has ever gotten really close to achieving it. Maybe it's more of a solo-game thing.

Huxley posted:

We played Caverna: Cave vs Cave a couple of rounds last night. I would definitely rank it above All Creatures Big and Small (base only) for people who lean harder into abstracts than thematic stuff. ACBS+an expansion is probably still the better game. Once the inevitable CvC expansions are out, it'll probably pull ahead (for us). Nothing turns my wife off of a game quicker than an introductory paragraph of backstory, and this was pretty perfect for people with tastes like hers. It feels like the kind of thing that would get samey quickly if you are prone to that. It has a lot in common with 7 Wonders Duel, in that way. If you were fine with base 7WD, this probably has about the same legs in the base game.

It looks like a "hey cool build out your house!" kind of thing, but it's almostly completely devoid of theme in practice. It's the kind of game where the pieces have names, but we played for 90 minutes and I couldn't tell you the name of even one room I built. It's a combat puzzle game, and not at all the pastoral "just do what you want and see where the game leads you!" thing Caverna is.

One of the big sales points of ACBS is the animal meeples and the fences and buildings and taking a step back when it's all done and admiring where you ended up. There is none of that here. On the other hand, scoring is "total building score + gold" so the point salad of ACBS is mitigated. You don't feel like you have to focus on zeroing out horses or whatnot, just build better rooms. Build a better engine. Have a better plan put together a turn earlier than the other person.

The handling of resources is a lot better than any of these games I've played. The placement of workers also was a big plus for me, since you don't actually place workers. It makes the game run a lot more smoothly and gets it on/off the table in half the time.

There's no disks for your workers, no stack of tiny white circles to represent grain, no scorepad, no refresh step. You just line everything back up, flip a tile, trade the Player-1 token and go go go. It's lean as hell and almost completely abstract.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Has anyone heard of Wasteland Express Delivery Service? And is it good?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shadow225 posted:

For all of you Gencon goons ( or anyone if you've played them for one reason or another), I would love to hear your impressions on the following if you see them:

DBZ Minis Game
Cowboy Bebop game
Photosynthesis
Palace of Mad King Ludwig
Divinity Derby
Viral
Petrichor
Magic Maze
Sellswords Olympus
Codenames Duet
Unicornus Knights

We had Codenames: Duet at VlaadaCon and have played a bunch since as well. It's good! The cards are effectively a real expansion deck for the base game (i.e. the cards in duet and the cards in base can be combined for either game perfectly well). The bit of extra logic is fantastic (you see three assassins, your partner sees three assassins, one is shared, one is a neutral on the other side, one is an agent on the other side, and three total agents are shared), lets you figure out which words they might be going for based on what you see.

There's a mini campaign of sorts, which really is just "here's a dozen variable difficulty level tweaks you can make to change your strategy".

Very good for a couple with a kid to play after the kid goes to bed but without the length of most euros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
About to play some 4p Feast for Odin, any tips for the person who is last on year one?