Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Okay but the one where he bought a box on eBay and then a cheap fake ring and told her that it was whatever brand was p lovely

Yeah no that was pretty lovely, I mean the guy who was being honest about it with his girlfriend.

The cartier box was a dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817963

The GBS version of this thread has some really depressing stories

Yeah it does, flashbacks to my childhood.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah no that was pretty lovely, I mean the guy who was being honest about it with his girlfriend.

The cartier box was a dick move.

The best part of that was the lady being like I DUNNO HOW TO HANDLE THID and like I think spending a ton of money on a ring is dumb but gently caress that guy nobody deserves that guy get out of there lady

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Subjunctive posted:

You can a non-blood diamond if you'd rather.

The whole thing is symbolic. Why not plastic, if the material doesn't matter? People only like moissanite because it pretends to be diamond. That's fine, but it's worth asking why you get a ring at all (hint: because she wants one).

My wife was fine with moissanite, the secret is having joint bank account before you buy it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Postess with the Mostest posted:

My wife was fine with moissanite, the secret is having joint bank account before you buy it.

My ex-wife said she didn't want a ring, so I didn't get one for her. I suspect my current girlfriend would want one, but also be embarrassed if I dropped ten grand on it, so I suspect it would be a small Canadian diamond.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
If Groupon existed back then, my dad surely would've gotten the engagement ring from it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Subjunctive posted:

My ex-wife said she didn't want a ring, so I didn't get one for her. I suspect my current girlfriend would want one, but also be embarrassed if I dropped ten grand on it, so I suspect it would be a small Canadian diamond.

Yeah, I found out about moissanite and let her choose. She went with that because she could spend more on the titanium band which she really had to have. My dad proposed to my mom with a twist tie and they're still together so :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I collect weird rocks so I've bought crummy industrial-grade diamonds on ebay for like $20 that are huge as heck just to add to my collection, get one of those and your wife can brag to her friends that she's got the biggest diamond of all of them :v:

Folly
May 26, 2010
I thought it was for signaling. You had to prove to her (or her father) that you could provide. Like how pre-FDIC bank buildings had gorgeous constuction.

Folly
May 26, 2010
Nm me. I don't even see the post I was responding to on this page anymore.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Folly posted:

I thought it was for signaling. You had to prove to her (or her father) that you could provide. Like how pre-FDIC bank buildings had gorgeous constuction.

I mean I'm sure it traditionally was for that but nowadays it's whatever :shrug:

Folly
May 26, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

I mean I'm sure it traditionally was for that but nowadays it's whatever :shrug:

Yeah that's where I was going.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Folly posted:

Yeah, the father could get it appraised and reverse engineer your salary from the 3 month rule.

(Was that net or gross? Maybe it predates income tax.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

is 1938 old enough to be considered 'traditional'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I collect weird rocks so I've bought crummy industrial-grade diamonds on ebay for like $20 that are huge as heck just to add to my collection, get one of those and your wife can brag to her friends that she's got the biggest diamond of all of them :v:
You should show me these sweet diamonds (or cut out the middleman and tell me about more ebay listings of same) becaues I think my girlfriend would love a giant lovely diamond as a gag gift.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

spog posted:

is 1938 old enough to be considered 'traditional'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU
I was just thinking about this. Big gem rings and the whole wedding biz in general is more or less a marketing scam, but if people have been self-perpetuating it for long enough its still traditional. I mean I think that we can say that white dresses are traditional now, because even if we can basically pin that to a particular trend its almost 200 years old now so it's sort of just its own thing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Subjunctive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvatzr7pA70
Don't buy it from Brilliant Earth

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that sucks. There are other places that provide certificates of origin, though.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
These cheapskates need to just suck it up and get their women diamond rings, or gemstone rings if that's their preference. These rings are there for (hopefully) several decades. Trust me when I say that the cost of the ring is insignificant compared to the costs you'll incur during marriage, raising children, etc.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
And after several decades, that expensive ring still hasn't provided a single bit of value to your life. But yeah, they should absolutely spend a quarter of their annual income or whatever on it anyway or people might think they're a cheapskate.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6u1pie/landlord_forcing_military_members_to_pay_500_to/
Landlord forcing military members to pay $500 to use their SCRA termination rights. Is this legal? (self.legaladvice)
submitted 1 day ago by BrainwashedByBigBlue

quote:

I am an Active Duty member of the Air Force who recently PCS'd to Nebraska. Upon arrival I have been given 10 days to find a house before reporting to my gaining unit.
Talking to my sponsor, they advised me that the contracted military housing company is bad and "honestly, kinda sketchy". She advised that I rent a house off base.
Personally, I already wanted a house away from the base as it is less of a hassle for relatives who are visiting, and so I spent the last 8 days looking for a house. I found one that I liked, did a walkthrough and thought everything was good to go until I saw the lease.
The landlord has written a clause into the lease that if I break lease under SCRA lease termination rights (if I PCS [unlikely] or deploy for 90+ days [more likely]) that I am subject to pay $500 for using my right as a service member under SCRA.
Is this even legal? I have an appointment with the ADC (Airmen Defense Council) and my leadership has been notified. Obviously I'm going to be looking for another house, but I worry that this guy (who says he owns several homes and rents to military often) is scamming my fellow servicemen and servicewomen.
TL;DR Was about to sign on renting a house, noticed that the lease required me to pay $500 if I terminate my lease under SCRA pretenses as a military servicemember (which is allowed under certain conditions in the SCRA).

For background, the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act covers, among other things, law allowing personnel under military orders to terminate leases early without penalty. The intention is to minimize financial hardship from military orders. The relevant part of the law states that with signed military orders, the servicemember can terminate their lease without penalty effective 30 days from when the next rent payment is due.
That landlord is probably going to learn an expensive lesson.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

totalnewbie posted:

And after several decades, that expensive ring still hasn't provided a single bit of value to your life. But yeah, they should absolutely spend a quarter of their annual income or whatever on it anyway or people might think they're a cheapskate.

It's nice to give gifts.

Also, don't buy art or jewelry.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LLCoolJD posted:

These cheapskates need to just suck it up and get their women diamond rings, or gemstone rings if that's their preference. These rings are there for (hopefully) several decades. Trust me when I say that the cost of the ring is insignificant compared to the costs you'll incur during marriage, raising children, etc.

Yeah, I could have bought 3 rings for what my wife's family has cost me.

Someday when I want a good cry I'll add up what daycare cost over a span of 10 years.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
What I don't understand is why the lab grown diamond industry hasn't taken over. Even centerpiece gemstone quality rocks are fairly easy to make by now and you could undercut debeers and still keep a disgusting margin. There's all of like one or two places online selling them and they're the exact same price it's bonkers.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Save money by buying your wife at the second wifeauction of the month, thus ensuring you have leverage with the owner - be prepared to walk away, and you can grab yourself a bargain!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Subjunctive posted:

It's nice to give gifts.

Also, don't buy art or jewelry.

Someone spending 3 month's salary on a painting or jewelry would fit perfectly in this thread.

If you want to spend that much on an engagement ring then fine, do it, but being labeled a cheapskate by not spending that much on a piece of jewelry is kind of ridiculous, especially in THIS thread.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that sucks. There are other places that provide certificates of origin, though.

There's no guarantee that those aren't bullshit either though

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

What I don't understand is why the lab grown diamond industry hasn't taken over. Even centerpiece gemstone quality rocks are fairly easy to make by now and you could undercut debeers and still keep a disgusting margin. There's all of like one or two places online selling them and they're the exact same price it's bonkers.

Nice laboratory here. Shame if something were to happen to it. This is my business associate, Large Tony.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Folly posted:

It was a security deposit on your wife's virtue (ahem).

The common scam was that a guy would come to town, find some woman, and woo her. Premarital sex was a big no-no back then, so he would get married to be able to have sex with her. Later, when he had his fun, he would skip town, leaving his wife behind. At this point in time it was almost impossible to get a divorce, not being "pure" was a big deal when dating, and it was very difficult for women to find legitimate work to support themselves, and on top of that she might be pregnant too, so the guy really hosed his erstwhile bride over just so that he could get his rocks off and then leave to start the whole thing over again (often changing names and never mentioning the string of women in his wake). Combine that with the potential for dowry, and you can see how this would be problematic.

So, the ring (traditionally any form of jewelry, or even more mundane wealth would do as long as it had value) was a way to show that you were serious enough about the whole thing that you were willing to put your money where your mouth was. The jewelry was a portable, socially acceptable way for a woman to carry wealth, and if the marriage didn't last it would do a little to provide for her until she could get back on her feet.

Later on, after heavy marketing from the diamond industry, we ended up with Diamonds bring the gemstone of choice, along with other social norms that solidified such as the ring.

Edit: Nevermind, seems this was probably apocryphal.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 18, 2017

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

totalnewbie posted:

1/4 annual income would be bad with money, but you can easily get nice diamond rings for under $4,000. For most of us, that isn't 1/4 annual income.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

There's no guarantee that those aren't bullshit either though

I haven't read reports of certificates with registration numbers that traced back and weren't legitimate. Do you have more information?

E: I've heard that CanadaMark provides auditable guarantees, for example. https://www.canadamark.com/

EE:

totalnewbie posted:

Someone spending 3 month's salary on a painting or jewelry would fit perfectly in this thread.

If you want to spend that much on an engagement ring then fine, do it, but being labeled a cheapskate by not spending that much on a piece of jewelry is kind of ridiculous, especially in THIS thread.

You get into the whole "can afford it" thing again, which we've trodden well. The idea that art or jewelry doesn't provide "one bit of value" is what I was objecting to. Enjoyment is a form of value, as is sentimentality. You can argue about the price of that value, or if it could be had more inexpensively, but to deny that it can exist seems pretty ridiculous.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 17, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

1/4 annual income would be bad with money, but you can easily get nice diamond rings for under $4,000. For most of us, that isn't 1/4 annual income.

$4,000 is still stupid to spend on something that is only valuable because a monopoly tells you that it is.

might as well buy $4,000 worth of Magic The Gathering cards. At least you and your bride can play a game together - you can't even do that with a ring

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
this is an extremely uninteresting derail

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Rich people trying to justify their rings. Poor people saying how it's all bullshit. The occasional humblebrag going "Hey I'm rich AND I think it's bullshit."

Yup, it's engagement ring derail again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

spog posted:

$4,000 is still stupid to spend on something that is only valuable because a monopoly tells you that it is.

might as well buy $4,000 worth of Magic The Gathering cards. At least you and your bride can play a game together - you can't even do that with a ring

Hell you can just boost four grand in magic cards at a legacy tournament, no problem. Then you unload them at the same tournament, assuming it's a large event with multiple vendors, and spend that money on a ring

Someone thinks I'm joking and I assure you that pro thieves have been staking out legacy magic tournaments for a couple years now because you can pick up something the size of a small phone, walk across the room, and unload it with no way to get caught short of someone seeing you pick it up to start with, and probably get a couple grand

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Some self-help guru called Loy Machado had a super weird response to the softball Quora question of, "What made you smile today?"
https://www.quora.com/What-made-you-smile-today/answer/Loy-Machedo?share=a1bbfa8c&srid=pBib

His "super simple wifey" whom he "accidentally found" on a Thai marriage website lived her entire life on a farm, is half his age, and super naive (meanwhile, he's some sort of self-help scammer). She won a "Very Rare Original Chanel French Designer Ladies Bag" and asked him for $3 for shipping it from "France". He tried to tell her that it was fake, but she got sad and so he gave her the $3. When it arrived she showed him the "Chanel" tag that means it's real.

If you like, you can hire him as a self help trainer. Here's his quora profile:
https://www.quora.com/profile/Loy-Machedo

He's SUPER FAMOUS:

You can pay him $19 for "email solutions" to your problems - total of 1,000 words. Or pay $25k for the "Legacy Package" for personal branding:

quote:

You will learn everything and anything there is to learn about being an Personal Brand. From how to make easy money both online and offline, make yourself stand out from the rest of the competition and build a system to earn money by Branding You, Your Name, Your Product & Your Services.

Or just make a donation of $50 for "someone who cannot afford my services".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The "had to ask for $3" made me pretty uncomfortable.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
There are better choices out there than diamonds for wedding rings, lots of more rare stones that actually have value beyond the inflated prices for diamonds.

Just make 100% sure that the person you are buying it for is completely on board with explaining what it is to every person who asks about it for the next decade. Like, really on board an into it, not "I guess so".

Borat voice my wife has an alexandrite ring, more valuable than a similarly sized diamond and more interesting imo.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Volmarias posted:

It was a security deposit on your wife's virtue (ahem).

The common scam was that a guy would come to town, find some woman, and woo her. Premarital sex was a big no-no back then, so he would get married to be able to have sex with her. Later, when he had his fun, he would skip town, leaving his wife behind. At this point in time it was almost impossible to get a divorce, not being "pure" was a big deal when dating, and it was very difficult for women to find legitimate work to support themselves, and on top of that she might be pregnant too, so the guy really hosed his erstwhile bride over just so that he could get his rocks off and then leave to start the whole thing over again (often changing names and never mentioning the string of women in his wake). Combine that with the potential for dowry, and you can see how this would be problematic.

So, the ring (traditionally any form of jewelry, or even more mundane wealth would do as long as it had value) was a way to show that you were serious enough about the whole thing that you were willing to put your money where your mouth was. The jewelry was a portable, socially acceptable way for a woman to carry wealth, and if the marriage didn't last it would do a little to provide for her until she could get back on her feet.

Later on, after heavy marketing from the diamond industry, we ended up with Diamonds bring the gemstone of choice, along with other social norms that solidified such as the ring.

this sounds pretty apocryphal tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

The "had to ask for $3" made me pretty uncomfortable.

Yeah that's incredibly gross.