Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does this look okay? I'm upgrading from an i5 4670 running at 3.4ghz, the cooler for it broke and my old micro atx case is getting super cramped.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($21.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $583.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-15 19:19 EDT-0400

I'm going to be reusing my 1070 and evga g2 750w power supply.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Go a bit larger on the CLC - the H60 is kind of anemic for an R7 1700 - and with the Air 740 you've *definitely* got the room for an H1xxi.

And if you're not planning on mining or heavy games, I question why you need a 1080. :shrug:

I found a RX 580 8GB for MSRP so picked that one up.

I plan on doing machine learning dev work, requires GPU. The h100i v2 seems to not be ryzen-compatible by default. Is there a huge difference with the v1? The mounting bracket from corsair takes an excessively hilarious time to ship.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

its curtains for Kevin posted:

SA Performance Gamer - A high-end gaming machine targeting 1080p, 60 FPS at High details on current titles
Intel Core i5-7600K
Z270 motherboard
A large quiet CPU cooler
16 GB of DDR4-3000+ RAM
GeForce GTX 1070
500 GB S-ATA SSD"

This is a standard setup of parts that fits closely with what I'd like to do, but I'm curious if anything has changed since June to make any newer parts more desirable for a similar price point.

The ultimate goal is to have a somewhat compact box that can run a 144z 1080p display on high settings for most games, specifically ones like LoL or counter strike. I am unsure of whether these recommended parts are still desirable for this, or if I may want some slightly better hardware for going up to 144 frames.

I'd also like to be able to stream in 1080p/60f on top of whatever game/program running, and I have no idea how much more power I need out of hardware for this.

I'd also love a brief list of total parts; this list in the op is missing a few things like the case and I don't want to miss anything. I'll have no problem coming back with a part picker link, I'd just like a bit more guidance so I know what to be looking at.

You'll be 100% fine with CSGO and League at 1080p. I have a 6600k (running at stock) and a GTX 1060 and I exceed my 1440 monitor's frame rate. Remember that the giant multiplayer games are generally designed to run on a toaster to make sure anyone who wants to can play it. Your Preys, your Witchers, your whatever AAA title is new is the stuff that'll actually push a rig.

For a case, you sort of start with a list of things you want then narrow down potential cases based on that. Like, most people want to do a mid size tower, but if you particularly want a small form factor, that's important. Do you want l33t haxor looks? Windows? Front port needs (almost everything has a couple USB ports and some audio, but others have lots of USB ports, HDMI ports, whole 9 yards?) Importantly, lots of cases are foregoing 5.25" drive bays. If you need that, ensure that your chosen case has one.

Personally, I built in the NZXT S340. There's also an "elite" version with a glass panel rather than plastic and a few more doodads. But it's pretty easy to work in, not gross looking for an adult to have in their apartment, and reasonably affordable.

I don't know much about streaming! Sorry.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I've been mulling over upgrading for a while now, and I figure I'd ask here. I'm currently running on a frankensteined computer I put together in 2013, and it's starting to show it's age. Throwing a 1060 in there helped keep things current for AAA gaming, but it feels like a bandaid solution, and I'm kind of just expecting either the motherboard or CPU to fail at this point. Are these parts still "good enough", or should I upgrade?

code:
CPU
	Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz	38 °C
	Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
	16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 656MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
	MSI H77MA-G43 (MS-7756) (SOCKET 0)	28 °C
Graphics
	SAMSUNG (1920x1080@60Hz)
	ASUS VH242H (1920x1080@60Hz)
	2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte)	45 °C
Storage
	931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 (SATA)	35 °C
	232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD)	35 °C
I live in the USA. I use my PC mostly for gaming, some video work but it's not what I build my system around. Budget isn't a huge concern, it just means I'm saving for longer, because I know CPUs are loving expensive.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CascadeBeta posted:

So I've been mulling over upgrading for a while now, and I figure I'd ask here. I'm currently running on a frankensteined computer I put together in 2013, and it's starting to show it's age. Throwing a 1060 in there helped keep things current for AAA gaming, but it feels like a bandaid solution, and I'm kind of just expecting either the motherboard or CPU to fail at this point. Are these parts still "good enough", or should I upgrade?

code:
CPU
	Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz	38 °C
	Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
	16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 656MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
	MSI H77MA-G43 (MS-7756) (SOCKET 0)	28 °C
Graphics
	SAMSUNG (1920x1080@60Hz)
	ASUS VH242H (1920x1080@60Hz)
	2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte)	45 °C
Storage
	931GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 (SATA)	35 °C
	232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD)	35 °C
I live in the USA. I use my PC mostly for gaming, some video work but it's not what I build my system around. Budget isn't a huge concern, it just means I'm saving for longer, because I know CPUs are loving expensive.

That's still a great CPU. 3.9Ghz boost and 8 threads will still kick the poo poo out of just about any game. Your CPU is 4 generations old, but Intel CPUs have only gotten like 5% better per generation, not 30% better like GPUs. You have an SSD too and plenty of RAM. Your GPU is perfect for your resolution/framerate. I'd ride things out until the Volta cards are released probably around early 2018. At that point you could upgrade the GPU and monitor, and only after that would I look at getting a 6-core Coffee Lake CPU and motherboard if you felt you needed it. But your PC has legs.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

I found a RX 580 8GB for MSRP so picked that one up.

I plan on doing machine learning dev work, requires GPU. The h100i v2 seems to not be ryzen-compatible by default. Is there a huge difference with the v1? The mounting bracket from corsair takes an excessively hilarious time to ship.

Unless you have some very specific need for a CLC, use a Noctua D15 instead.
Has an AM4 compatibility option and is better than the V1.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zero VGS posted:

That's still a great CPU. 3.9Ghz boost and 8 threads will still kick the poo poo out of just about any game. Your CPU is 4 generations old, but Intel CPUs have only gotten like 5% better per generation, not 30% better like GPUs. You have an SSD too and plenty of RAM. Your GPU is perfect for your resolution/framerate. I'd ride things out until the Volta cards are released probably around early 2018. At that point you could upgrade the GPU and monitor, and only after that would I look at getting a 6-core Coffee Lake CPU and motherboard if you felt you needed it. But your PC has legs.

Agreed. I'd just throw a new power supply in there since the one you have is probably pretty old. If you're really itching for an upgrade you could grab a 1080 so you could bump all your settings up to the max in games but really that's it. CPUs have stagnated for a while so they really aren't worth spending money on when you've already got a 4th gen i7

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 16, 2017

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Good to know. I guess I'm just itchy to upgrade because of how old everything is. I've thought about getting a 1080, but with new cards right around the corner, I don't know if it's worth it. Which is really the pc gaming ultimate question, isn't it?

Here's something a little bit more unconventional: I recently built a bartop arcade cabinet which is currently running on a raspberry pi, and somewhere down the line I want to put a micro itx board in there so I can run it as a hyperspin/steam machine for both arcade games, indie games and dolphin emulation. Probably the biggest Triple A game I would run would be SFV/Tekken 7.

I don't have the dimensions on me for how big of a space I have to work with, but it's not tiny or anything (the cabinet fits a 22" monitor). Is the psuedo console example in the op still current? That seems like the best bet for this. I can post the full dimensions when I get home from work.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CascadeBeta posted:

Good to know. I guess I'm just itchy to upgrade because of how old everything is. I've thought about getting a 1080, but with new cards right around the corner, I don't know if it's worth it. Which is really the pc gaming ultimate question, isn't it?

Here's something a little bit more unconventional: I recently built a bartop arcade cabinet which is currently running on a raspberry pi, and somewhere down the line I want to put a micro itx board in there so I can run it as a hyperspin/steam machine for both arcade games, indie games and dolphin emulation. Probably the biggest Triple A game I would run would be SFV/Tekken 7.

I don't have the dimensions on me for how big of a space I have to work with, but it's not tiny or anything (the cabinet fits a 22" monitor). Is the psuedo console example in the op still current? That seems like the best bet for this. I can post the full dimensions when I get home from work.

The GTX 1080's are overpriced right now because people are using them to mine, i.e. low availability. You can just about get the 1080ti's for MSRP but that is way overkill for your monitors. Smart thing would be wait for Volta and get a nice Gsync monitor to go with it at that point.

For the arcade cabinet, I think that SFV might just be playable with modern integrated graphics. If you draw the line there, you could get a KabyLake (or wait for CoffeeLake) processor, a Mini ITX board, and a case along these lines which has room only for the Mini-ITX board and includes a power supply: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129185

Is AMD doing any upcoming CPUs with integrated graphics? I seem to remember they have a performace edge on that when they include it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Integrated graphics are 100% dead for games, and even really for most higher end video content.
Published minimum for SFV is a 670, which is still several times quicker than a Skylake-integrated.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Khablam posted:

Integrated graphics are 100% dead for games, and even really for most higher end video content.
Published minimum for SFV is a 670, which is still several times quicker than a Skylake-integrated.

This guy is running at 720p and capturing at the same time and it seems fine to me. I think it's worth it to pay for a really good CPU if you can avoid having to shell out for a GPU. Even the cheapest GPUs are going to be $100, plus a larger PC case, plus a more expensive PSU than a Pico PSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6pxPIZmro

Edit: If you wanted a lazy arcade board that's not an awful deal, this guy has piles of the Skull Canyon Nuc for under $500 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/202005324958

That has the fastest integrated graphics on the market, and you'd just need ram and an M.2 drive. Plus, that can use an external GPU over thunderbolt if you wanted to upgrade it down the line.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 17, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

This guy is running at 720p and capturing at the same time and it seems fine to me. I think it's worth it to pay for a really good CPU if you can avoid having to shell out for a GPU. Even the cheapest GPUs are going to be $100, plus a larger PC case, plus a more expensive PSU than a Pico PSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6pxPIZmro

Since when has 720p @ lowest been something to recommend?
It's a moot point anyway as Dolphin / CEMU et al have shaky integrated GPU support.
You really, really want a dedicated GPU to play games in 2017.

Used options that significantly exceed HD 530 capabilities start at $30

ufarn
May 30, 2009
OBS Studio is better off downscaled to 720p from 1080p etc, so it's not necessarily the display resolution.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Khablam posted:

Since when has 720p @ lowest been something to recommend?
It's a moot point anyway as Dolphin / CEMU et al have shaky integrated GPU support.
You really, really want a dedicated GPU to play games in 2017.

Used options that significantly exceed HD 530 capabilities start at $30

Eh, he was saying that's the most powerful game he intends to run, so I was trying to keep things simple if it's just an emulation box. I didn't know about Dolphin needing discrete GPU acceleration to run well so that changes things.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So, some good news for those of you waiting for Coffee Lake - Intel has pretty much all but said that Icelake (due for release in 2019) is their next consumer-targeted chip. Cannonlake will very likely be mobile only.

https://www.techpowerup.com/236176/intel-officially-reveals-whats-coming-after-coffee-lake-the-10-nm-ice-lake

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So should I buy this 7600k or not :colbert:

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why not wait? I think Intel is supposed to do the official reveal of Coffee lake next week.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

When the next i3 is rumored to just as fast as a 7700K and much cheaper, why would you do so?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Absolutely not.

You'll probably get two more cores with 8600K on top of any performance improvement.

A Ryzen 1600 is probably better than a 7600K, if you need to buy a new motherboard anyway.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 17, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Echoing what the others said, a 7600K is a bad idea at this point and the OP is outdated.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i posted asking about this at the top of the page and no one answered so I wasn't sure. I'll wait a month and see what Coffee Lake brings. Thanks

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

OP hasn't posted ITT in a month, I think we're due a new OP with Intel's next lineup. At the moment it's misleading at best.
One of the daily posters to this thread would make the OP actually useful, I feel.

One of these losers wants to step up:

eames
May 9, 2009

or maybe put the old OP in a shared/wiki-style google doc so all of the above can edit it? (bad idea?)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
LP are using a Wiki to great effect: http://salp.wikia.com/wiki

It doesn't have HTTPS, and wikis tend to show contributor IPs, however. Someone once said that you shouldn't link to Docs, because the urls can be finicky or something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

eames posted:

or maybe put the old OP in a shared/wiki-style google doc so all of the above can edit it? (bad idea?)

It might be a good idea as long as dumb slapfights can stay out of it. There's been a few over the last few years about stuff like ram speed, if full ATX is needed for anyone, ASUS vs. ASRock, power supply size, brand loyalty, etc. Being the OP of this thread is dangerous, who even knows what happened to Factory Factory (okay he's probably just busy finishing his degree)?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's been a while since I put my computer together and I'm starting to think I may need to upgrade my GTX 750Ti. Is there a goonsensus on who's got the best 950 at the lowest price point?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

It's been a while since I put my computer together and I'm starting to think I may need to upgrade my GTX 750Ti. Is there a goonsensus on who's got the best 950 at the lowest price point?

Get a 1050Ti for quality of life reasons. 4GB of buffer will likely soon be a necessity for decent 1080p gaming. As for brand, stick to EVGA, ideally.

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
Hey, finally replacing my old c2q box (q9450, GTX 660, 8gb ddr2). Gonna be ordering this on the weekend:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WRLKr7

Thermal paste is just so i have extra. Planning on doing the OC to 3.8ghz and I do tend to like quieter systems thus the cryorig instead of the stock heatsink. Little worried that the single fan 1060 might ramp up the noise a bit but theres like a 50 dollar premium for double fan cards atm -_-. Mostly used for gaming(war thunder, ksp, paradox games, and bethesda games)/light 3d modeling/digital painting and listening to ye olde vaporwave youtubes on a 1440p monitor. Picked the mortar cause it seems to be the least expensive option with an optical audio jack on it that i suppose i dont *need* but i hate not using capabilities my reciever has. Have onboard s/pdif headers gone the way of the dodo?

Anywho, suggestions welcome, though I'm kinda wedded to the idea of the 1600 (6c12t for 200 bux!!!!!).

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ok, I've got a huge temptation today and I need to know if I'm doing something reasonable.

Canada Computers has the GIGABYTE GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB on sale for $599 CAD which is apparently $40 off their regular $639 CAD price.

My current card is a MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB card. Would going to that particular 1070 be a huge noticeable upgrade or would it be more of a side move? I was thinking of waiting for Volta and see what those cards are gonna be like but with the consumer cards being a while I was thinking of picking up this particular 1070 and selling my RX 480 on eBay (and, yes, I realize I missed out peak-bubble). I also have a 750 Ti and 550 Ti (please don't judge my video card buying habits) to sell as well to hopefully recoup a chunk of that $599 but I really don't wanna go ahead with this if its more of a slightly better side move than anything.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Does anybody have current recommendations for a budget PC for basic use (browsing, YouTube, etc.)? My sister finally wants to update her computer (a C2D E4400 build from a decade ago). She was initially looking at a refurb HP desktop with an i3 3240, 250 GB HDD, and 4 GB of RAM for $175 (CAD), but it disappeared in the couple of hours since she sent me the email. I see people posting a lot of G4560-based builds on various places, but she's got a fairly tight budget and I'm wondering if there's anything that can be cut down further, if something like a G4560 is the cheapest option to consider, or if there's anything better for the same kind of money. She would basically need CPU, motherboard, RAM, PSU, and drive(s) (probably a cheap SSD for the OS/programs and a replacement HDD for storage).

Currently, I was thinking something like this would probably be the best "bang for the buck" based around a G4560:

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($84.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock - B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.05 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.50 @ shopRBC)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($63.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $526.53

That's probably more than she wants to spend by a fair amount, based on that HP she was asking about. She might be able to make do without the extra hard drive. If there's anything cheaper than this that's still decent, she'd probably appreciate saving the money over having something slightly faster. I have an Enthoo Pro laying around that she can use as a replacement case if needed, and she has a monitor and various accessories. Please advise me.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Grog posted:

Does anybody have current recommendations for a budget PC for basic use (browsing, YouTube, etc.)? My sister finally wants to update her computer (a C2D E4400 build from a decade ago). She was initially looking at a refurb HP desktop with an i3 3240, 250 GB HDD, and 4 GB of RAM for $175 (CAD), but it disappeared in the couple of hours since she sent me the email. I see people posting a lot of G4560-based builds on various places, but she's got a fairly tight budget and I'm wondering if there's anything that can be cut down further, if something like a G4560 is the cheapest option to consider, or if there's anything better for the same kind of money. She would basically need CPU, motherboard, RAM, PSU, and drive(s) (probably a cheap SSD for the OS/programs and a replacement HDD for storage).

Currently, I was thinking something like this would probably be the best "bang for the buck" based around a G4560:

Motherboard: ASRock - B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.05 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.50 @ shopRBC)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($63.50 @ Vuugo)

That's probably more than she wants to spend by a fair amount, based on that HP she was asking about. She might be able to make do without the extra hard drive. If there's anything cheaper than this that's still decent, she'd probably appreciate saving the money over having something slightly faster. I have an Enthoo Pro laying around that she can use as a replacement case if needed, and she has a monitor and various accessories. Please advise me.

https://www.amazon.com/K31CD-Desktop-Processor-7200RPM-Windows/dp/B01N6KLFWA

you could also just buy something like that^ and then get a SSD to throw in and reinstall windows

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Varg posted:

https://www.amazon.com/K31CD-Desktop-Processor-7200RPM-Windows/dp/B01N6KLFWA

you could also just buy something like that^ and then get a SSD to throw in and reinstall windows

Yeah, for something like this you're just best off getting some sort of bargain box from any given tech retailer. The G4560 was a hidden gem for gamers, and not too big a deal for Facebook stuff. A cursory look at Best Buy Canada turned this up for example: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...d/10622548.aspx Could open that up and slap an SSD in it, or don't. So look at your local stores, maybe check out Freecycle if you have one in your area.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Alright, I'll let her know and I'll try looking around for some cheap prebuilt if she still wants to bother upgrading.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Grog posted:

If all she is doing is Chrome and Youtube, why not a Chromebook or Chromebox?

If she needs Windows, the newest Intel Compute Sticks are actually decent: https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/22/intel-compute-stick-2016-review/

They got the one with Core M3, 4GB, 64GB storage and Windows 10 for under $260 here: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/I...g!301148684098!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Those of you waiting for a 4C/8T i3-8350K are going to be a little disappointed. Because Intel is bad at PR, it took a leak from a closed event to reveal that the 8350K will be a 4C/4T chip, which puts it on par more closely with the 7600K than the 7700K.

The 8400 (locked 6C/6T), 8600K (unlocked 6C/6T), 8700 (locked 6C/12T), and 8700K (unlocked 6C/12T) are all confirmed. I'd also like to note that we're supposedly less than two weeks from the launch of these things and we've yet to see a single leak of a 300-series motherboard from any maker. :sigh:

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

If all she is doing is Chrome and Youtube, why not a Chromebook or Chromebox?
I probably should have mentioned, she uses a couple of Windows-specific programs, had done a little bit of audio/production work for one of the local university's radio stations and wanted to leave that option open, and wants to be able to use her PC to learn to use some content management system for radio that's being used at her current job. None of that should really require much processing power as far as I know since she's just doing it on a hobbyist level or outside of work, but a Chromebook or similar likely won't cut it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Those of you waiting for a 4C/8T i3-8350K are going to be a little disappointed. Because Intel is bad at PR, it took a leak from a closed event to reveal that the 8350K will be a 4C/4T chip, which puts it on par more closely with the 7600K than the 7700K.

The 8400 (locked 6C/6T), 8600K (unlocked 6C/6T), 8700 (locked 6C/12T), and 8700K (unlocked 6C/12T) are all confirmed. I'd also like to note that we're supposedly less than two weeks from the launch of these things and we've yet to see a single leak of a 300-series motherboard from any maker. :sigh:

Is the 8700 non-K an idiot trap kind of like the 6700/7700 were? What's hyperthreading actually worth nowadays? I'd prefer 65W chips, especially given that kaby lake -K chips were hot and 6 cores will likely be hotter.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Is the 8700 non-K an idiot trap kind of like the 6700/7700 were? What's hyperthreading actually worth nowadays? I'd prefer 65W chips, especially given that kaby lake -K chips were hot and 6 cores will likely be hotter.

The 8700 will have a base clock of 3.2Ghz on all cores, with a 4.2Ghz turbo on all six, and a 4.4Ghz single-core turbo mode. The 8700K is 3.8/4.3/4.5-4.7 on those same attributes. So you 'lose' 800Mhz on the base clock between the locked and unlocked SKUs.

The 8400 is 2.8/3.5/3.8, and the 8600K is 3.8/4.2/4.4. The 86xx have 9MB of L3, while both 87xx have 12MB.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Grog posted:

I probably should have mentioned, she uses a couple of Windows-specific programs, had done a little bit of audio/production work for one of the local university's radio stations and wanted to leave that option open, and wants to be able to use her PC to learn to use some content management system for radio that's being used at her current job. None of that should really require much processing power as far as I know since she's just doing it on a hobbyist level or outside of work, but a Chromebook or similar likely won't cut it.

Don't be afraid of eBay if you wanna save some money:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-7010-PC-Desktop-i5-3470-3-2GHz-4GB-250GB-Windows-10-Pro-Free-Ship-/232452056852

A small form-factor desktop with an actual good i5 processor, 4gb ram, Windows 10 Pro, free shipping for $170. That's some I turned up with a 30-second search.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightning-F...-EAAOSwWkJY9AaQ

And that's a larger PC, even faster i5, 8GB ram, 1TB hard drive, built-in wireless, for $209.

Nothing like off-lease company-owned Dells for bottom-dollar Windows value. Or get a refurb direct from Dell, you pay a bit of extra and some sales tax but you get a 1-year in-home repair warranty last I checked.

Edit: One last thing, you said you were in Canada. If she'll settle for a laptop, I can personally vouch for this being a good deal, I've bought hundreds of this laptop model as my standard issue at work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Eliteboo...WAAAOSw5UZY~1yB

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I'm guessing I'm gonna end up with an i3-8350K. If that's still $170 for an overclockable 4Ghz quad core, that'll finally be what gets me off my 2500K.