Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Also no wonder small used 3d scanners can be had for cheap, apparently they are not actually good at anything :goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mister Sinewave posted:

Also no wonder small used 3d scanners can be had for cheap, apparently they are not actually good at anything :goleft:

It probably won't help with what you want to do, but RCLifeOn did a video about reproducing real life items with hundreds of photos and AutoDesk ReMake, which gives you a polygon dense model. There's a fair amount of time involved from taking the photos, waiting for remake to turn them into a model, clean up, etc, but the results are decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2VazVGm7TU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My Original i3 came in yesterday, so today I start building! The only cad software I've used is TinkerCAD, but I was thinking I'd use SketchUp to start out. I've actually used it before, but that was about 13 years ago so I doubt much of that experience will translate :v:

Should I just try out a few different free cad programs, or is something like Fusion360 the way to go?

E: huh I thought when Google bought SketchUp they made it free. I can get an education license for cheap though, so I guess it's still an option

CloFan fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 15, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Sketchup is the worst program to use for 3d printing modeling. Pick up Fusion360 on the Startup/Maker license (free registration).

Better in every conceivable way.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Sketchup will happily spit out a non-printable model, and it's a pain in the rear end to troubleshoot.

Tinkercad is cool if you're a literal child, but Fusion360 is free for hobbyists and really worth learning.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Yay I find what I was looking for! I took apart the cartridge I do have and that in addition to this picture it all makes sense. Thanks again team.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CloFan posted:

My Original i3 came in yesterday, so today I start building! The only cad software I've used is TinkerCAD, but I was thinking I'd use SketchUp to start out. I've actually used it before, but that was about 13 years ago so I doubt much of that experience will translate :v:

Should I just try out a few different free cad programs, or is something like Fusion360 the way to go?

E: huh I thought when Google bought SketchUp they made it free. I can get an education license for cheap though, so I guess it's still an option

I modeled a lot of stuff in TinkerCAD that I should have just used F360 for. Put in the half a dozen hours to learn fusion, it's awesome.

Though some stuff is a bit weird. I still can't really wrap my head around the align tool, or the move by measurement thing. I keep "getting it", then immediately forget.

Also, workflow seems really important and I don't really understand the difference between a body and a component or components within components. I also have no idea what an assembly is no matter what I read.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

awesomeolion posted:

Yay I find what I was looking for! I took apart the cartridge I do have and that in addition to this picture it all makes sense. Thanks again team.

Thats good, looks like it was a pretty simple hack too.

In other news today I tried to learn fusion360. It seems pretty complex but I made a model of a robot dude called Noodlefeet.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sketchup -> Tinkercad -> Fusion 360 is not a bad progression

Sketchup works the way someone who doesn't do CAD expects poo poo to work. That alone makes it noteworthy. It's not great beyond that and you'll hit limitations soon.

Tinkercad is nice for its ability to more or less accept the skills and though processes (and awareness of limitations) gained from working with Sketchup. Tinkercad has a good interactive tutorial that will teach you what you need to know. You'll forget everything you knew with Sketchup and never need to remember.

Fusion 360 is a pretty big leap from Tinkercad ~~BUT~~ many of the concepts you learned and started to think with in Tinkercad carry over very well. But you'll have to learn a whole new UI and poo poo. If you started to do CAD with Tinkercad enough to start to find having only the GROUP/UNGROUP tool as troublesome, then you're ripe to move on.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

tuyop posted:

I modeled a lot of stuff in TinkerCAD that I should have just used F360 for. Put in the half a dozen hours to learn fusion, it's awesome.

Though some stuff is a bit weird. I still can't really wrap my head around the align tool, or the move by measurement thing. I keep "getting it", then immediately forget.

Also, workflow seems really important and I don't really understand the difference between a body and a component or components within components. I also have no idea what an assembly is no matter what I read.

Yeah fusion 360 is great and free but there's still a lot of things it does really weirdly compared to Solidworks.

The body/component distinction is a mess and that is why assemblies are so awkward. The trick is, when creating a new feature that's going to touch body 1, but will be a separate piece when you print, you create a new component and make the feature part of that. Then it won't automatically merge with body 1.

The workflow just sucks, but I think that's because I'm used to solidworks where the equivalent history thing is really important, unlike in fusion where it feels like an afterthought.

I suspect if solidworks came out with a hobby level program they'd blow fusion out of the water.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tom Sanladerer emailed me this afternoon, I won one of the Prusas in his giveaway.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Whoa, nice!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

mewse posted:

Tom Sanladerer emailed me this afternoon, I won one of the Prusas in his giveaway.

Congratulations!

For the guy who wanted to change a point cloud to a model apparently MeshLab can do that, no idea how good it is though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

mewse posted:

Sweet!

I use Solidworks ($50/yr student edition) but it lacks the extra modules.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mewse posted:

I hate you now.

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, woah there, killa.

Get a simpler, proven build machine to learn on before you go investing a ton of money/credit in a more expensive machine.

Does your local store have the Cocoon Create? Get that and learn to print on it before burning all of your credit on a more expensive machine.

Better to play on a cheaper machine while you figure out whether you actually enjoy the work involved in 3d printing than getting a more expensive machine and figuring out you hate it.

The Cocoon Create is not on offer from the store and it looks to run around $400ish here in Australia. The cheapest thing on offer from this store is the UP Mini 2.

My plan was to get something cheap but I'm looking at this like my drones expedition all over again. It wasn't until I got a decent one that I enjoyed and understood why people got into them so heavily. The cheaper drone just never delivered what I wanted and my concern is I will end up giving up out of sheer frustration. If it counts for anything I've made a pretty solid career out of tech and figuring it out.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

KillaZilla posted:

The Cocoon Create is not on offer from the store and it looks to run around $400ish here in Australia. The cheapest thing on offer from this store is the UP Mini 2.

My plan was to get something cheap but I'm looking at this like my drones expedition all over again. It wasn't until I got a decent one that I enjoyed and understood why people got into them so heavily. The cheaper drone just never delivered what I wanted and my concern is I will end up giving up out of sheer frustration. If it counts for anything I've made a pretty solid career out of tech and figuring it out.

Take a good look at what other people are printing on the printers you are looking at, thats the kind of thing you will be making. I feel that if you go into this knowing that after a ton of trial and error what your prints are going to be like, you will be ok. I think some people still have unrealistic expectations of what they will be able to deliver. The most important thing i found to explain to people is that it takes a LONG time to print most things, multiple hours for even what I might consider a "small" print. If you know all that and have followed along then just pick whichever printer you think will give you the features you want, dual extruding or certain temperatures or build volumes or even aftermarket parts.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You've converted way more than a thousand dollars into literal poop and flushed it down the toilet. At least a thousand dollar 3D printer will give you a few months of entertainment.

Don't skimp, just get into it if you have the means.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Bored-at-work brainstorm... the more I think about it, the more conventional extruders seem kinda ill-suited to what I have in mind. Definitely going to troubleshoot with a nice normal Volcano and such, but I'm thinking I might need to start doing pellet extruder R&D. When the goal is multiple-pound prints, the cost difference between a 10 pound spool and 10 pounds of pellets seems a lot more significant.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Bored-at-work brainstorm... the more I think about it, the more conventional extruders seem kinda ill-suited to what I have in mind. Definitely going to troubleshoot with a nice normal Volcano and such, but I'm thinking I might need to start doing pellet extruder R&D. When the goal is multiple-pound prints, the cost difference between a 10 pound spool and 10 pounds of pellets seems a lot more significant.

Look into the Part Daddy, its a huge (18 feet tall) Delta printer, it uses pellets sucked up into the nozzle with a cheap vacuum. I imagine unless you are printing many pounds of material that the effort of building a pellet melting head might be an issue though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

KillaZilla posted:

Yeah, Australia gets hosed on 3d printer prices.

I'm using the US equivalent to the Cocoon Create as my primary 3d printer and have never seen the need to invest in a much more expensive Lulzbot machine, as the printer I use right now has never failed to print what I wanted to print (I know what I'm doing though). My out of pocket costs for my printer at the time I bought it was $250 USD though (on sale).

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Kea posted:

Look into the Part Daddy, its a huge (18 feet tall) Delta printer, it uses pellets sucked up into the nozzle with a cheap vacuum. I imagine unless you are printing many pounds of material that the effort of building a pellet melting head might be an issue though.

I've seen that before - I think that may be a bit larger than I need. ;)

But yeah, I completely agree, if I wasn't trying to come up with a setup to print many pounds of material at a time, the effort of doing a pellet melting head would be an issue.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

I've seen that before - I think that may be a bit larger than I need. ;)

But yeah, I completely agree, if I wasn't trying to come up with a setup to print many pounds of material at a time, the effort of doing a pellet melting head would be an issue.

Some sort of screw mechanism to force pellets into the extruder might work, im sure you could work out a way to do it with a bit of trial and error/copying off people who have allready done it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Kea posted:

Some sort of screw mechanism to force pellets into the extruder might work, im sure you could work out a way to do it with a bit of trial and error/copying off people who have allready done it.

Agreed on both points; looking at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1847917 as a sort of baseline, with some modifications given that I have the ability to do metal castings.

... this weighs in on my "CoreXY vs make more compromises for rigidity" thoughts too, though I'll have to see what Solidworks says the mass will end up at.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Kea posted:

Some sort of screw mechanism to force pellets into the extruder
AKA an auger

mewse
May 2, 2006

You guys might know this but years ago there was a large bounty available for whoever could come up with an economical way to extrude pellets as filament.

http://hackaday.com/2013/03/05/finally-a-machine-that-makes-cheap-3d-printer-filament/

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:34653

I think the Filastruder is a similar design.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Sure, but as I recall, the issue gets to be that holding a really consistent diameter on the filament is hard, and that's pretty necessary for the extrusion volume calculations.

... or as I'm kind of thinking of it, "for this printer why bother with filament at all?"

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

peepsalot posted:

AKA an auger

Yeah I googled quickly and of course there was a ton of work put into it allready, good to see though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

insta posted:

You've converted way more than a thousand dollars into literal poop and flushed it down the toilet. At least a thousand dollar 3D printer will give you a few months of entertainment.

this is a really lovely analogy

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
How would a direct pellet extruder deal with retractions? I feel like it'd be simpler to just get a separate pellet to filament extruder, rather than integrating it onto the printer.

CoreXY works well with direct extruders - check out the Voron. Looks like the E3D titan is specifically designed as a low mass direct extruder.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a segment of the 3D printing community that doesn't really understand manufacturing technology and really focuses hard on bootstrapping everything from first principles.

Like, the planet makes hundreds of kilometers of aluminum extrusions every day. We have the ability to make strong, straight linear rails cheaply and accurately in massive quantities. Yet there are still people in the community trying to design printers that replace basic metal parts like this with inferior 3D printed components out of the misguided idea that printers should be able to print themselves.

Similarly, we have people trying to make desktop filament extruders out of the idea that that step is the real stumbling block on the way to self-reliance (and not, say, production of the plastic pellets from chemical precursors) -- when there are already factories devoted to making plastic filament faster and better than you could ever do at home, and for a lower price too, if all factors are taken into account.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

rawrr posted:

How would a direct pellet extruder deal with retractions? I feel like it'd be simpler to just get a separate pellet to filament extruder, rather than integrating it onto the printer.

CoreXY works well with direct extruders - check out the Voron. Looks like the E3D titan is specifically designed as a low mass direct extruder.

Well retraction is literally just stopping the pressure on the filament so it doesnt squirt out more plastic, I imagine if the Auger isnt pressing down on the pellets then there will be no/little pressure. Should be fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kea posted:

Well retraction is literally just stopping the pressure on the filament so it doesnt squirt out more plastic, I imagine if the Auger isnt pressing down on the pellets then there will be no/little pressure. Should be fine.

No, retraction is an actual retraction that yanks backwards a little bit. When you compress molten plastic inside the nozzle, the polymer chains actually compress like tiny little springs and then expand when the pressure is released. That causes the nozzle oozing that retraction is designed to prevent (by yanking the filament back and giving it a little bit of space to expand inside).

The same phenomenon is why when you extrude in air, the bit of extruded filament is larger in diameter than the nozzle. The polymer chains expand as soon as the nozzle constraint is no longer there, and the whole thing grows a bit. More pressure = greater eventual expansion; try extruding into air with a high feedrate and compare the width to a slower extrusion. It's cool stuff.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

... basically agree with Sagebrush. There's linear motion systems out there, there's nice straight extrusions out there... personally I like linear rail fixed to t-slots on the extrusion. I don't really like the cylindrical rods because of limited cross section to prevent deflection.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

... basically agree with Sagebrush. There's linear motion systems out there, there's nice straight extrusions out there... personally I like linear rail fixed to t-slots on the extrusion. I don't really like the cylindrical rods because of limited cross section to prevent deflection.

I think a lot of the bootstrapping spirit comes from the early days when these sort of things weren't widely available and/or affordable; it wasn't until relatively recently that you were able to source cheap Chinese linear rails.

Like if you look at the original repraps, iirc the rods were salvaged from printers and used hardware store threaded rods for motion control.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

No, retraction is an actual retraction that yanks backwards a little bit. When you compress molten plastic inside the nozzle, the polymer chains actually compress like tiny little springs and then expand when the pressure is released. That causes the nozzle oozing that retraction is designed to prevent (by yanking the filament back and giving it a little bit of space to expand inside).

The same phenomenon is why when you extrude in air, the bit of extruded filament is larger in diameter than the nozzle. The polymer chains expand as soon as the nozzle constraint is no longer there, and the whole thing grows a bit. More pressure = greater eventual expansion; try extruding into air with a high feedrate and compare the width to a slower extrusion. It's cool stuff.

Good to know, I stand corrected, in that case a little reverse action on the auger might give a little breathing room? Not sure, presumably some people have worked it out.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
gently caress kapton tape! I couldn't print poo poo for ABS with it on my heated bed as nothing would stick. First print with blue tape, no lifting whatsoever.

Could have also been my z height calibration too though...

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Lol, using blue tape in TYOOL 2017. Just get a PEI sheet dude.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

PEI is amazing and I love it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
What is this witch magic?!

I guess I should look into it. I'd have to re calibrate my z height again, as it looks pretty thick. How tough is PEI? Surface prep at all?