Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ethernet to USB adapters are like $7.

Alternatively, every desk where a surface is the primary machine needs a docking station anyway so a proper keyboard, monitor, mouse, and Ethernet connection can be utilized.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the universe of dongles, especially with people that already misplace laptop power supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:stare:

I mean I guess that's one variation of "stick with what works" but drat

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16828107132

Okidata ML320 Turbo with Ethernet/USB/Parallel port connectivity. The 320 has been produced for nearly 30 years now, being introduced in 1988.

We used to have a fleet of these in our stores. They where generally reliable. Except they didn't like our in-store comm radios. If you held a transmitting radio within 1-2 feet of the printer, the print head would start randomly moving and the printer would get out of wack until you turned it off/on. They also required no specific driver. You installed it in Windows using the "Generic Text" driver. Generally any software supporting these printers controls it directly via control codes without using any driver interface.

We replaced them with laser printers in 2005. I was able to sell the working ones for around $150 each to other stores.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 16, 2017

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Had an issue where a user couldn't log in to Skype for Business for Macs, saying invalid credentials. User had same issue on all macs.
Outlook, office.com etc were fine. SfB on windows was fine. Other user accounts on SfB for mac were fine.

Changing password to something that didn't have a £ symbol cleared it :wtf:

I've never seen a wanky character break something so specifically before but I can't think what else could have caused it.

Having a similar problem with vmWare Boxer. If I punch my legit password in it bounces the password. If I supply a password with one of the upper case characters as a lower case, Boxer authenticates, but then I start racking up AD password failures pretty quick. The admin responsible for it so far has just scratched his head and said "weird".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

stevewm posted:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16828107132

Okidata ML320 Turbo with Ethernet/USB/Parallel port connectivity. The 320 has been produced for nearly 30 years now, being introduced in 1988.

My first printer was an Okidata 9 pin hooked up to my C64. :allears:

I had a dream last week that there was a computer cart in my bedroom and I was woken up late at night by the sound of a dot matrix printer whining away. I got up and saw that it was sort of jammed into a stand on top of the cart. I walked out to my dining room and there was a guy there and I was trying to explain that it was 12:30am and he shouldn't be making so much noise because it might bother the neighbors.

Then I started to explain that he could print to a PDF now and then print to paper in the morning.

I think I've been doing this job too long.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

We have one that got smashed by a forklift swinging around doing forklift things that was just put back on the table plus a large dent where it continued to make labels. I can ask the local guy out there if it's still in production and get a picture tomorrow if it is.

Bad news, it's gone. Not because it broke, but because they changed label suppliers and the new kind needed some different scanner or some poo poo for label alignment that some of the old models didn't have and the hosed up forklift victim was replaced. RIP

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Bad news, it's gone. Not because it broke, but because they changed label suppliers and the new kind needed some different scanner or some poo poo for label alignment that some of the old models didn't have and the hosed up forklift victim was replaced. RIP

Good night sweet printer; you were decommissioned before your time.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GreenNight posted:

The Surface docks are poo poo anyways. You need multiple dongles to connect poo poo to it.

Multiple dongles for what? Maybe for the mDP ports, but what else?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jeoh posted:

Multiple dongles for what? Maybe for the mDP ports, but what else?

Probably a USB splitter. I think the surface dock only has 3 ports on it? Keyboard/Mouse/maybe printer/usb stick/other poo poo

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Probably a USB splitter. I think the surface dock only has 3 ports on it? Keyboard/Mouse/maybe printer/usb stick/other poo poo

It has four.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jeoh posted:

It has four.

Fair enough. Been a while since I've had contact with them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

While it is stealing, I can't imagine using that language with my users.

"The video is protected under copyright by the Chicago Tribune. They forbid downloading and disseminating their content without express written permission. You may either reach out to the Chicago Tribune to obtain an offline copy of the video, or you can link the video in your presentation and make sure you have a solid internet connection before starting."

poo poo would hit the fan if I told them they were stealing.

"This program has performed an illegal operation and must be shut down."

I've gotten several unsolicited confessions from users on account of Windows wording it that way.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Zero VGS posted:

I've gotten several unsolicited confessions from users on account of Windows wording it that way.

This is hilarious.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Fair enough. Been a while since I've had contact with them.

The dock introduced with the SP4 is better in every way compared to the old piece of poo poo. Two mDP ports, four USB ports (2 front, 2 back), audio, and ethernet. I dunno what else I'd need. I guess it'd be nice if I could use the mDP port on the Surface Pro for three screens?

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Thanks Ants posted:

Every desk should have wired drops, everybody who sits down at that desk to work should connect to those wired drops in the same way they have no issues plugging into power.

Wireless is great for warehouse scanners, meeting room convenience, guest access, mobile devices etc etc. but if you're already pulling power into walls because you're building an office then pull Cat6 as well.

I forgot to mention how I reacted when I had doubts whether anything was going to be labeled. The answer was not positively. Especially when I found out that the cabling company was going out of business.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zero VGS posted:

:same:

Also good from the early Windows on the internet era: when they released (I think) IE 3.0, they set up their servers to detect users with old versions of the browser configured with the default start page and push them to what was presumably a download page for the new one. (I remember the URL had "IE10.stm" in it at least.) True to form for Microsoft of the era, that page had a server-side error in it that prevented one of our hapless users from doing whatever she was supposed to do there; it was a blank white page with nothing but an error traceback and the words "Type mismatch".

So she's calling us up for help, and poor lady says "I tried typing M-I-S-M-A-T-C-H and nothing happened..."

:cripes:

StuL87
Oct 21, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

Had an issue where a user couldn't log in to Skype for Business for Macs, saying invalid credentials. User had same issue on all macs.
Outlook, office.com etc were fine. SfB on windows was fine. Other user accounts on SfB for mac were fine.

Changing password to something that didn't have a £ symbol cleared it :wtf:

I've never seen a wanky character break something so specifically before but I can't think what else could have caused it.

Was the £ actually outputting # instead? I think that is the default behaviour with some combination of US keyboard or US keyboard layout. Try it in a text editor so you can see the characters.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah I was gonna say the same, it's probably a keyboard layout issue.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

StuL87 posted:

Was the £ actually outputting # instead? I think that is the default behaviour with some combination of US keyboard or US keyboard layout. Try it in a text editor so you can see the characters.

No, it was typing £ quite happily, and could log into outlook and other things just fine on the mac. Just Skype not playing ball :iiam:

I'll maybe try a test account if I have time, see if I can replicate the issue.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bitterandtwisted posted:

No, it was typing £ quite happily, and could log into outlook and other things just fine on the mac. Just Skype not playing ball :iiam:

I'll maybe try a test account if I have time, see if I can replicate the issue.

I've had the issue where Windows will swap Input Method (i.e. from UK to US keyboards) when working in a different window and I think it was in Skype where it specifically happened

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I've experienced the same.

I did not solve the mystery. We used Citrix and very rarely for some users. it would change the keyboard layout.
We never found the root cause of it. but it stopped happening after we did our monthly updates.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I had that happen to a friend, turned out due to localization in windows (He was in Canada) that a very odd key combo "shortcut" was moving his keyboard to french layout. :canada: He had to reboot any time it happened, but we resolved it by disabling the key combo shortcut.

SfB just sounds like a jerk in this case.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

I had that happen to a friend, turned out due to localization in windows (He was in Canada) that a very odd key combo "shortcut" was moving his keyboard to french layout. :canada: He had to reboot any time it happened, but we resolved it by disabling the key combo shortcut.

SfB just sounds like a jerk in this case.

The way I do it for workstations up here in Canada, there's a box near the systray that says "EN", that's the keyboard switcher. Right-click, preferences, remove "Canadian French" and "Canadian Multilingual" keyboards and hit OK. The box vanishes and the system never mysteriously switches keyboard layouts again.

This box is also the best way to help someone on the phone who has accidentally switched their layout. Have them click the box and see what layout is active.

The keyboard shortcut (shift-alt?) is one of the most ridiculous features Microsoft has ever added because it changes the keyboard layout completely silently, there's no feedback.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

Dick Trauma posted:

My first printer was an Okidata 9 pin hooked up to my C64. :allears:

I had a dream last week that there was a computer cart in my bedroom and I was woken up late at night by the sound of a dot matrix printer whining away. I got up and saw that it was sort of jammed into a stand on top of the cart. I walked out to my dining room and there was a guy there and I was trying to explain that it was 12:30am and he shouldn't be making so much noise because it might bother the neighbors.

Then I started to explain that he could print to a PDF now and then print to paper in the morning.

I think I've been doing this job too long.

That's my life circa 1992! Falling asleep dreaming about 56K modems when I only had a 14.4 hooked up to the Amiga and going to disk-only swap meets.
Every print from an Oki was loving expensive as well. My friend who had one told me once that he wouldn't do me a print because there was 'too much black'.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Every desk should have wired drops, everybody who sits down at that desk to work should connect to those wired drops in the same way they have no issues plugging into power.

Wireless is great for warehouse scanners, meeting room convenience, guest access, mobile devices etc etc. but if you're already pulling power into walls because you're building an office then pull Cat6 as well.

Our HQ used to have an 'organicly grown' network, meaning it featured consumer-grade switches connected to more consumer-grade switches connected to etc., loose network cables hidden false ceilings, ethernetports that looped through somehow, no labelling or schematics whatsoever and the production servers on a desk in the office. So, when we remodelled the office, I got to redesign our complete network and now every desk has 3 network drops, the switches are cisco's, the complete network is documented, and we have a server room with AC. The wireless network is Unify and not used for computers/laptops. :)

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

mewse posted:

The keyboard shortcut (shift-alt?) is one of the most ridiculous features Microsoft has ever added because it changes the keyboard layout completely silently, there's no feedback.

The library i used to work at had multiple keyboard layouts enabled and a custom interface that hid the windows desktop/taskbar at the same time. The amount of grief that combination caused. :-(

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

$100 gift card to store of my choice :smug:

Larry's Lodge of Low-Cost Liquor

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Data Graham posted:

:same:

Also good from the early Windows on the internet era: when they released (I think) IE 3.0, they set up their servers to detect users with old versions of the browser configured with the default start page and push them to what was presumably a download page for the new one. (I remember the URL had "IE10.stm" in it at least.) True to form for Microsoft of the era, that page had a server-side error in it that prevented one of our hapless users from doing whatever she was supposed to do there; it was a blank white page with nothing but an error traceback and the words "Type mismatch".

So she's calling us up for help, and poor lady says "I tried typing M-I-S-M-A-T-C-H and nothing happened..."

:cripes:

Wait, you had a user who actually read the error message and tried to do what it suggested as a fix? How often does that happen?
(That she didn't know that "type" was meant as a noun and not a verb is excusable, not everyone knows programming lingo.)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Larry's Lodge of Low-Cost Liquor

Nah, I'm not a drinker, really. $50 bottle of scotch lasts me a year. I'm an idiot and want a PS4 Pro for shiny 4K resolution, so I asked for Amazon.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

nielsm posted:

Wait, you had a user who actually read the error message and tried to do what it suggested as a fix? How often does that happen?
(That she didn't know that "type" was meant as a noun and not a verb is excusable, not everyone knows programming lingo.)

I may have told this story before, but I had a user do something similar. One of the systems I used to admin when I worked at a bank ran into issues all of the time, and the developers did a really poor job of error handling, which often meant end users would see ugly stack traces or error return codes instead of friendly messages that actually explained what the problem was.

One of the error return codes they used was the minimum int32 value, -2147483648, which just happens to be a ten-digit number.

Sure enough, a ticket came in: I called the phone number in the error message but they couldn't help me.

One of the main area codes here is 214 :downs:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yesterday I told a remote user via email to take something to her local FedEx store, and wrote "Call me when you get there, 312-555-1234. I'll authorize them to charge the packing to our account"

I missed her call but called her back and she had paid for the packing out of pocket, which she'll get reimbursed for, but she said the account number was rejected.

I asked her what account number she gave them: "312-555-1234"

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
A harddisk came in today, a heavy metal encased digital keypad protected harddisk.

A customer sent this in for some of the service team to use which contains the entirety of their employee data, there was no passcode provided so I was instructed to call the client to sort it out. Now I never interface with customers but whatever I call them and they need to verify who I am because of FCA reasons so they hang up and call back in a few minutes, so they give me the details... the password is 123456 (which turns out is the factory default too), and the files inside are otherwise plain with no encryption or other protection.

Security :eng99:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Should have told them it's the same password as your luggage.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

I was just about to go to Youtube to get this scene but this post is better than that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

nielsm posted:

Of course it's excusable, I'm :cripes:'ing over the whole situation, like "Where do I even begin trying to explain what's going on here?"

Nobody should be expected to understand what they're being confronted with there. Least of all some poor layperson who just wants to subscribe their 48k modem to the Information Super Highway

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GreenNight posted:

:perfect:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A ticket came in: change the combination on my luggage!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A ticket came in: change the combination on my luggage! it's 1234, I want 4321

alternatively 6942069

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
We all know it's 8675309. :colbert:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

We all know it's 8675309. :colbert:

I have run into that as a users password in the wild.

e: brb, changing password to 0118 999 881 99 9119 7253

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It took years but someone finally hosed up the "mute the phone and laugh at the user" stunt and my boss just gave everyone actually in the office an earful. She told me after the fact hey some user came in "crying that the felt like everyone thinks they're an idiot and a bother" to her today after overhearing those chuckle heads well probably saying they are an idiot and a bother cause we have some people who really are. Course you're not supposed to write this down or say it outloud lol.

• Locked thread