Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Blockhouse posted:

pretty sure scion doesn't have dots at all

I know almost nothing about Scion except that I want to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Terrorforge posted:

I know almost nothing about Scion except that I want to play it.

1e was good but became a real mess as it went on. Mid-game demigod stuff was a real chore unfortunately. The Hero level stuff was an exciting new adventure into things you're just starting to uncover, the God level stuff is working your way up the pantheon and earning respect and renown as a true god. The Demigod level middle stuff was just sorta middle ground. It was fun at first because you get a bunch of neat powers, but narratively you're too strong to face off with the footsoldiers of the titans and feel like you're doing something, and you're too weak to actually stand on the front lines against the titans themselves.

I ran a 2 year long game of it. It's what actually killed my interest in the ST system for a year or so before I found this thread and came back in.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mors Rattus posted:

Promethean is an exceptionally well-written game and a very hard one to run. 2e has improved a lot of things, but also made a lot of others pointlessly complicated or weird; it isn't bad, but it's definitely a storm of proper nouns and weird subsystems that I don't really think help the game.

Mummy is basically what happens when you write an oWoD game using nWoD rules.

That Promethean description sounds like a challenge I'm willing to step up to. Not one I feel confident I'll succeed in, but I'm willing to give it a shot. But my group still plays 1e so if you're saying 2e is that much better I'll wait to try and run it until we're ready to make the leap and just start running everything in 2e because jumping back and forth between them depending on the gameline seems a little annoying.

That description of Mummy sounds...worrisome. I like the bits of lore stuff I've picked up skimming the ww wiki, so I'm hoping it's not actually that bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah fixing demigod is one of the things I hope 2e does. Given they've said the focus of that tier is "the end of the heroic journey" I feel like they've got a better idea of what to do for it at least.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ferrinus posted:

What the gently caress. Boiling the attributes down to just physical, mental, and social was one of the good parts!!

It really isn't in practice.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Scion was a drat trainwreck and the second edition basically having nothing to do with the original is one of the best things going for it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Promethean 1e isn't bad...as long as you completely ignore Wasteland rules and fudge Disquiet some. The main difficulty of running Promethean in either edition is that it is a game about the exceptional personal story of understanding what it means to be human and, eventually, becoming a Real Boy Or Girl.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kurieg posted:

It really isn't in practice.

In my experience a multiplicity of attributes in White Wolf and White Wolf-adjacent games are never well balanced or good at creating distinctions worth paying attention to. But where's this new playtest book?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ferrinus posted:

In my experience a multiplicity of attributes in White Wolf and White Wolf-adjacent games are never well balanced or good at creating distinctions worth paying attention to. But where's this new playtest book?

It was probably a combination of the tri-stat system and the fact that the pre-alpha characters were *Terribly* statted, only two of them were actually built to use the disciplines they were given and one of those was the child rapist. I also remember the book giving some milquetoast excuse about how this allows for "More customization than ever before" because a brujah with a specialization in dexterity is so different than a brujah with a specialization in Strength.

And I believe this is the version being distributed for the Gencon games. The screenshot was sent to me.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Scion was a drat trainwreck and the second edition basically having nothing to do with the original is one of the best things going for it.
I think the only things Scion 2e has in common with 1e at this point are the broadest strokes of the game conceit, the name, and the cover art.

Which is absolutely the best.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Whats the rough estimate when Scion 2e comes out.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

'Probably soon, but not as soon as Changeling.'

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like scion will be late fall

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mors Rattus posted:

Promethean 1e isn't bad...as long as you completely ignore Wasteland rules and fudge Disquiet some. The main difficulty of running Promethean in either edition is that it is a game about the exceptional personal story of understanding what it means to be human and, eventually, becoming a Real Boy Or Girl.

Yeah, aside from those rules being really harsh, the whole 1E Promethean line is great. Some of the best 1E nWoD stuff.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Xinder posted:

That description of Mummy sounds...worrisome. I like the bits of lore stuff I've picked up skimming the ww wiki, so I'm hoping it's not actually that bad.

Mummy has a great premise with some janky and unnecessarily complex rules that are organized badly, and it's all buried under thirteen mountains of stereotypical, hyper-obtuse WoD in-character jargon. I like the game a lot, but it really needs player investment, and it can be a struggle to get some people to absorb all the rules for an Apocalypse World game. Imagine foisting upon them 50 pages brimming with ten-dollar words in a fictionalized foreign language.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

That Old Tree posted:

Imagine foisting upon them 50 pages brimming with ten-dollar words in a fictionalized foreign language.
But enough about Werewolf.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Man, I'm so excited about Deviant it's almost unseemly.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MC Smoke Sensei posted:

Welp. Apparently someone's going to make some sort of announcement about 5E soon.

"Paradox has canned the whole thing after receiving numerous complaints, Ericsson is fired, and Onyx Path is partnering with Obsidian to make a (Insert favorite line here) video game."

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kavak posted:

"Paradox has canned the whole thing after receiving numerous complaints, Ericsson is fired, and Onyx Path is partnering with Obsidian to make a (Insert favorite line here) video game."

Fixed that for you. The CCP curse is still going strong.

Alternatively, "We here at White Wolf are proud to announce the beginning of Rapecon 2: Rape Harder. Remember to bring your LARPing costumes guys!".

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kamen Rider: The Justice-ing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the release announcement post better be entitled The Jig Is Up The News Is Out

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mors Rattus posted:

My best campaign was probably Promethean with a trio of players back in 2007, such an awesome game. The other day I was cleaning up my papers and found the journals each of them kept, awesome stuff. I haven't touched 2E, but it being a thing gives me an itch to try it again.

Scion 1E was a mechanical mess from the word-go and the main books had so much material on the signature characters and their enemies that it felt like a fanfic of itself, while providing very little of a setting.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Xinder posted:

Mummy is a game I would really love to play, but heaps of words aside it has all the problems of Prometheans intensely personal story with even less reason for a party of Mummy Pals to exist or really even know each other. Everyone having a cult is really neat and thematic, but every PC having dozens of minions makes it weird even in small groups.

I really love the idea of a reverse power cycle and really obvious adventure paradigm. Regaining your memory and realizing your bosses are some real jerks is pretty good structure for a story. I just want to play Mummy and not Cultist: the Helping.

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 17, 2017

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Mummy is a game I would really love to play, but heaps of words aside it has all the problems of Prometheans intensely personal story with even less reason for a party of Mummy Pals to exist or really even know each other. Everyone having a cult is really neat and thematic, but every PC having dozens of minions makes it weird even in small groups.

I really love the idea of a reverse power cycle and really obvious adventure paradigm. Regaining your memory and realizing your bosses are some real jerks is pretty good structure for a story. I just want to play Mummy and not Cultist: the Helping.

Yeah, the reverse power cycle and good story purpose combined with the neat lore stuff made it seem really interesting to me.

But while I'm willing to read hundreds of pages of wordy nonsense to run a good story, I don't like subjecting my players to "50 pages brimming with ten-dollar words in a fictionalized foreign language." I might give them the rundown and see if they care enough, but if they don't get invested enough to help me out on their end, we're better off playing something else.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scion 1e was a pile of warm dogshit.

Scion 2e resembles it in only the most superficial ways and I love everything we've seen so far.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I picked up the Mummy rulebook yonks ago and have been hoping to give it a try for ages. But as has been said, it seems spectacularly ill-suited to traditional troupe play. It seems like you would have to do some really gnarly branching path time-skipping Storytelling to really get the most out of it. Maybe even stick to just one or two players to keep it from becoming an absolute mess?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
There any tutorials or actual plays of Mage 2e around? I have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

SunAndSpring posted:

There any tutorials or actual plays of Mage 2e around? I have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

Anything in particular?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Anything in particular?

So, if I'm reading this all correctly, to cast an improvised spell you add up your Gnosis and related Arcanum to that spell, add a Yantra bonus if you've got em, than start adding and subtracting based on how much Reach you have and how potent/long/big/far you want the spell to go, with each Reach essentially being +2 dice and each additional step in those other factors being -2 dice? And rotes are the things under the Arcanums, like Soul Marks for Death or Divination for Time?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

SunAndSpring posted:

So, if I'm reading this all correctly, to cast an improvised spell you add up your Gnosis and related Arcanum to that spell, add a Yantra bonus if you've got em, than start adding and subtracting based on how much Reach you have and how potent/long/big/far you want the spell to go, with each Reach essentially being +2 dice and each additional step in those other factors being -2 dice? And rotes are the things under the Arcanums, like Soul Marks for Death or Divination for Time?

Okay. No.

Skip to the end of the book and follow through the spellcasting reference.

You want to cast a spell, that your Arcana are capable of casting. We will assume it's improvised.

Your basic dice pool is Gnosis + Arcanum. You add any Yantras you're using as bonuses. You go up the spell's primary factor table to the line that's your level of the Arcanum, and then every step on every other table is -2 dice penalty to your dice pool

You have Your (Arcanum +1) - Spell's Level free "Reach". You don't use Reach to move lines in the spell factor tables, you use it to move tables, like from the basic Duration one to the advanced Duration one. Some spells have other things you can spend Reach on, and you have to spend one to cast in combat rounds (rather than hours) and another to cast at sensory range (rather than touching your target or throwing the spell with a seperate roll)

If you go over your free Reach, you get (excess Reach) * (a number listed for your Gnosis) Paradox dice. You can also get them a few other ways. I will hold off what happens then.

Any spell can be a rote - your character will have a list of rotes they know. Rotes let you use a special Yantra worth your dots in a particular skill and you get (Spell's Level -4) Reach instead of it being based on your Arcanum level. If you have a Grimoire (a book of rotes) and cast the rote by following the instructions rather than remembering it as one of the ones you've spent xp on, it takes *much* longer to cast the spell, but you reroll failed dice on the spell roll.

EDIT: BEcause it's late, and I hosed up the Reach calculation. There's a goddamn table in the spellcasting reference.

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 17, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

You have (Spell's Level +1) - Your Arcanum level free "Reach".
I think you meant 1 +Your Arcanum -(Spell's Level) since the way you phrased it would end up getting at most 1 free Reach.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Yawgmoth posted:

I think you meant 1 +Your Arcanum -(Spell's Level) since the way you phrased it would end up getting at most 1 free Reach.

Er. Yes!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Okay. No.

Skip to the end of the book and follow through the spellcasting reference.

You want to cast a spell, that your Arcana are capable of casting. We will assume it's improvised.

Your basic dice pool is Gnosis + Arcanum. You add any Yantras you're using as bonuses. You go up the spell's primary factor table to the line that's your level of the Arcanum, and then every step on every other table is -2 dice penalty to your dice pool

You have Your (Arcanum +1) - Spell's Level free "Reach". You don't use Reach to move lines in the spell factor tables, you use it to move tables, like from the basic Duration one to the advanced Duration one. Some spells have other things you can spend Reach on, and you have to spend one to cast in combat rounds (rather than hours) and another to cast at sensory range (rather than touching your target or throwing the spell with a seperate roll)

If you go over your free Reach, you get (excess Reach) * (a number listed for your Gnosis) Paradox dice. You can also get them a few other ways. I will hold off what happens then.

Any spell can be a rote - your character will have a list of rotes they know. Rotes let you use a special Yantra worth your dots in a particular skill and you get (Spell's Level -4) Reach instead of it being based on your Arcanum level. If you have a Grimoire (a book of rotes) and cast the rote by following the instructions rather than remembering it as one of the ones you've spent xp on, it takes *much* longer to cast the spell, but you reroll failed dice on the spell roll.

EDIT: BEcause it's late, and I hosed up the Reach calculation. There's a goddamn table in the spellcasting reference.

:ohdear: I'm sorry, I'm very bad at reading

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

SunAndSpring posted:

:ohdear: I'm sorry, I'm very bad at reading

It's okay, that's *why* there's a step by step reference in the back of the book. Once you get the hang of it, it's very fast.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Gen Con Brochure posted:

The Contagion Chronicle is an overarching Chronicle consisting of chronicle hooks,riveting
settings, and Storyteller aids to help present all the Chronicles of Darkness game lines into
one consistent story. In the chronicle, the Contagion acts as a motivational force and inspires
the formation of factions where vampires, werewolves, mages, mummies, etc. come together in
new and unique ways.
Once joined together to deal with the Contagion, these factions will never see their world (or
each other) the same way, and will be forever changed. Each time the Contagion emerges to
threaten the fabric of our world, the only beings capable of manipulating, slowing, weaponizing,
or halting it, are the unnatural denizens from across the Chronicles of Darkness. The
Contagion permeates Infrastructure and warps the known antagonists and supporting blocks
present in the lives of every inhuman being.

Also, Mummy 2E was announced.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Mummy needs a 2e worse than anything else they have.

The question is, who did they put in charge of it? Is it the same guy who spent all of 1e resolutely sticking his fingers in his ears whenever anybody mentioned the problems?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Interesting that it happened right after I asked about it. Do I have reality warping powers? If so, why didn't I ask for Geist 2e first?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Xinder posted:

Interesting that it happened right after I asked about it. Do I have reality warping powers? If so, why didn't I ask for Geist 2e first?

Because we've already written it and it's nearly about to go into editing?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Because we've already written it and it's nearly about to go into editing?

Yeah, that was more of a joke about the slightly amusing coincidence than an actual belief that I caused this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Getting Mummy a new dev who does not see it as their personal oWoD-y baby would be a good start, yes.