Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
hes a big dumb crossfitter but his wife browbeat him into making a wonderful application i cherish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Never set up credit cards as credit cards. No benefits and only potentially issues.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Never set up credit cards as credit cards. No benefits and only potentially issues.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My problem is my credit card is already a credit card. Should I just make a new account in ynab

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Should be able to select all transactions and move them in bulk to the new account.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Should be able to select all transactions and move them in bulk to the new account.
Is it that easy? Because if it is I am going to do it today, 100% done with dealing corner case bs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seemed to work months ago when I did it. YMMV tho.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seemed to work months ago when I did it. YMMV tho.
I just tested it on one both of our active credit cards, and though it requires going back through the months and stripping out any money added/subtracted from the credit card category, everything transferred with no hassle. Just after the transactions were transferred over, some of the money I added to one of the credit card categories showed up in the current month's TBB, but deleting both credit card accounts solved that easily.

Never going back, so nice to know now that returns or reward credits will Just Work with no need to fiddle with anything in the budget, and that any other errors or discrepancies are just that, not some mystical credit card bs. Wish I'd known it was this easy.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
cc's work fine for me, maybe the YNAB toolkit is doing something to make them easier to use?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Credit card accounts always work fine until suddenly they don't and it's a big ball of stress and gently caress that

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

babydonthurtme posted:

Honestly, even as someone who has an idea of how the credit cards in he new system are treated, I'm probably going to switch both my credit cards to checking accounts when I do my fresh start next year. Even when I think I've handled any corner cases appropriately, something still comes up. I pay my cards in full every month, I'm sick of janitoring this poo poo.

Sometimes I forget to balance up whatever thing I returned that got credited to my card. If I have old overspending that I missed-- e.g. at the end of the month, when it can get lost in the shuffle, it can gently caress things up too. As someone who just wants to know how much I owe on my cards, I'm sick of fiddling with silly details just to get things to balance out.

I’ve made several attempts to try and really understand how nYNAB handles credit card payments but it still hasn’t clicked for me yet. I think it has something to do with making sure that you aren’t counting pending credit card debt as part of your assets but the balances never seem to match up right for me either despite paying my cards in full every month.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sockser posted:

Credit card accounts always work fine until suddenly they don't and it's a big ball of stress and gently caress that

Yup, this. Randomly I'd have previous months budgets go over/under spent despite paying off every card each month and reconciling everything to zero.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
Does anyone else have nYNAB running extremely slow all of the time? It's gotten worse over time and now it's becoming very difficult to manipulate anything without supreme patience. Is there a solution to speed it up?

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

drive me nuts to school posted:

Does anyone else have nYNAB running extremely slow all of the time? It's gotten worse over time and now it's becoming very difficult to manipulate anything without supreme patience. Is there a solution to speed it up?

Install YNAB4, Problem Solved

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Are you using chrome? It runs entirely in the browser so you need one with a good JS engine.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

FateFree posted:

Are you using chrome? It runs entirely in the browser so you need one with a good JS engine.

I am using Chrome. I'll look into using a different browser to see if that helps.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Works fine here. What it doesn't like is tons of transactions loaded. If you reconcile things, set the filter to hide reconciled transactions by default.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I am using Chrome. I'll look into using a different browser to see if that helps.

Oh well nevermind then, Chrome has the best JS engine (at least it used to last time I checked). Maybe you have too many transactions like Combat says.

FateFree fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 20, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea, probably something about the JavaScript backend bullshit firing tons of events for all loaded transactions whenever you scroll. Then again, I've unhidden all my reconciled transactions for testing and nothing went to poo poo. So I don't know.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yea, probably something about the JavaScript backend bullshit firing tons of events for all loaded transactions whenever you scroll. Then again, I've unhidden all my reconciled transactions for testing and nothing went to poo poo. So I don't know.

Thing is, I have all my reconciled transactions hidden. It also runs poorly whenever I enter a payee.

I guess I'll try culling my payee list and see if that helps. Thanks friends!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

loving hell I did the group buy for some convention tickets, and I forgot that nYNAB is not super chill about letting me rollover negative categories compared to YNAB4. I've got -$1000 sitting in a category that I don't anticipate being fully reimbursed on until January, that's totally fine and not really a problem.

What's the best way to handle this? Should I just temporarily drain my emergency fund to cover the category and put money back into it as people repay me?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Well either that or put in a fake income of the amount owed, and edit it as the actual payments come in? Maybe even treat it as a split transaction?

But no, the proper way would be to accurately account for the fact that you've spent this money, it's out of your bank accounts, then treat the payments as friends as income and use that to cover the money you took from elsewhere.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I have a category called "To Be Reimbursed", if I have a reimbursement crossing a month I'll create a transaction with the refund (or refunds) and keep it uncleared until I receive them.

Or do what you said, either works.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

So what happens in YNAB4 if you overdraw one of your categories? Is it overdrawn in the next months budget? It seems with nYNAB it deducts from your Inflow to be budgetted.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

FateFree posted:

So what happens in YNAB4 if you overdraw one of your categories? Is it overdrawn in the next months budget? It seems with nYNAB it deducts from your Inflow to be budgetted.

Correct on all counts.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

FateFree posted:

There are two ways it is handled, and you can toggle between them. The default is the same as nYNAB, where it gets deducted from to be budgeted. If you select the "red arrow" method, the category just rolls over in to the next month negative, and any funds allocated to that bucket first satisfy the deficiency.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Thanks - I imagine people prefer the deducting from category method since its more predictable behavior.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

FateFree posted:

Thanks - I imagine people prefer the deducting from category method since its more predictable behavior.

It gives flexibility on how you want to handle things. The usual example is reimbursed business expenses.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

TheCenturion posted:

It gives flexibility on how you want to handle things. The usual example is reimbursed business expenses.

Yup. For example, I'm waiting on a $900 reimbursement check right now. If I don't get it until September starts, that negative balance just stays in that category and doesn't affect the overall budget.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Of course this only works if you have excess funds in your budget to cover. If you're check to check and that $900 would cause an overdraft or take on new debt you wouldn't want to roll it forward.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

TraderStav posted:

Of course this only works if you have excess funds in your budget to cover. If you're check to check and that $900 would cause an overdraft or take on new debt you wouldn't want to roll it forward.

Correct. It's really a convenience thing to prevent you from having to move 900 dollars from another category over to cover this, then assign the actual reimbursement income to wherever you took it out of.

If, for example, you're spending on a credit card, or you've got the float, and you know your company has a reliable reimbursement regimen, it's a handy way to keep track of if the company has actually reimbursed you. But yes, it's also a bit of a hack, so to speak, trying to turn what is a glorified check balancing app into more of an actual accounting app.

Still, nice to have the option. I've used it myself for similar things.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
It's a super useful feature, but basically you have to be on Rule 4 to use it safely.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I hope this isn't too stupid, I've been keeping my eye on this thread for a bit but maybe not long enough. People keep talking about YNAB4 as if it has some definite-but-unknown death date; is that just in terms of support/officialness or is it actually going to become unusable?

I use the desktop version on one computer, no syncing with dropbox or access from mobile apps (I do keep backups), mostly manual entries with OFX files for one account. Surely that's pretty much futureproof? At least for a few years, anyway.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Purely as a desktop app, yeah, it basically has as long a life as you want. Even if a time comes when native OS compatibility renders it unable to run, you can always spin up a VM, or fall back to a Linux box/VM running wine or something.

The built-in sync feature is mostly a ticking time bomb. Dropbox will eventually depreciate the version of the api the app uses. Without updates, the Mobile App also has a fairly limited shelf life, especially with mobile devices/OS pace of updates. YNAB can also just pull the legacy app from the stores at any point, which would kill things for all but the most stubborn users.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Grumpwagon posted:

There are two ways it is handled, and you can toggle between them. The default is the same as nYNAB, where it gets deducted from to be budgeted. If you select the "red arrow" method, the category just rolls over in to the next month negative, and any funds allocated to that bucket first satisfy the deficiency.

Is there anyway to select/enable the red arrow method in nYNAB?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

uvar posted:

I hope this isn't too stupid, I've been keeping my eye on this thread for a bit but maybe not long enough. People keep talking about YNAB4 as if it has some definite-but-unknown death date; is that just in terms of support/officialness or is it actually going to become unusable?

I use the desktop version on one computer, no syncing with dropbox or access from mobile apps (I do keep backups), mostly manual entries with OFX files for one account. Surely that's pretty much futureproof? At least for a few years, anyway.

You're probably pretty safe. Like Xik says, the main thing is the Dropbox syncing. I'm feeling pretty good about that too, since they just recently updated to the new Dropbox API. There's no guarantee they'll do that the next time Dropbox updates, but they do seem genuinely committed to maintaining YNAB4. I'm sure that'll stop eventually, but as long as the API doesn't change too dramatically, I'm cautiously optimistic.

El Mero Mero posted:

Is there anyway to select/enable the red arrow method in nYNAB?

Not by default, no. I don't use it, so I'm not sure if there is an addon or something.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
We just recently got back into the YNAB game and went with the online deal. What's the deal with the bank info import? Should I do it for credit cards? Can someone give a brief breakdown of the workflow here?

I got a PhD to avoid all this accounting stuff and the additional feature (over YNAB4) has me confused. Isn't the point of manual entry to see the money flowing?

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Kudaros posted:

We just recently got back into the YNAB game and went with the online deal. What's the deal with the bank info import? Should I do it for credit cards? Can someone give a brief breakdown of the workflow here?

I got a PhD to avoid all this accounting stuff and the additional feature (over YNAB4) has me confused. Isn't the point of manual entry to see the money flowing?

You click the Import button each time and it pulls in new transactions and tries to either match them up with existing transactions or enter them as new ones. It tries to get category/etc correct too, but sometimes it doesn't. I do this every day or every other day so it's pretty easy for me to still see where money is flowing to.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
I’m not doing the direct bank connection because I don’t fully trust it. Importing downloaded Quicken files still works just fine.

You do need to occasionally reconcile one way or the other with your manually entered transactions, though. Your own records aren’t going to be 100% perfect, and it’s urgent that you notice any bank errors/fraud as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Financier has had its frontend open-sourced by the creator. They do note that they will be keeping financier.io up and running for the foreseeable future however, if there's anyone else out there still using it like me. :shrug: